LeBrun: Evander Kane close to signing, will happen by the weekend per his agent (EDM, FLA, TB top 3 choices)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
NHL

Four days ago, Bill Daly stated that the NHL's position was that there were "adequate grounds to terminate" on the basis of this violation, but now they are investigating. I don't support what Kane did or want him on my team, but the NHL is a total clown show in its handling of this.

We do not have the intimate details/chronology of all what going on behind closed doors. But Agreed that the way their handling it looks less than stellar from an outsider's perspective

tkb81

Mar 15, 2009
If it equates to putting up more goals on the board, the Oil could alter their approach and start winning more games. There have been teams with questionable D and near-average net minding that have won Cups.
which ones? haha honest question not being a jerk ... also lets keep it in the last 10 years or so .. as the hockey played now compared to then is extremely different

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Yes but that didn't necessarily apply to Canada at the alleged time of the travel. The rules were in the process of being changed but hadn't in Canada by then.

Temporary exemptions for residents and essential workers in British Columbia
Given the ongoing situation in British Columbia (BC) as a result of the floods, residents of BC who must travel by land to or through the United States are exempt from pre-entry, arrival, and Day-8 testing and quarantine requirements. Their trip must be no more than 24 hours. These exemptions do not apply to non-essential travel, including visiting friends or family.

Essential travel means to:... get to your habitual residence in Canada

COVID-19 Travel: Checklists for requirements and exemptions - Travel restrictions in Canada – Travel.gc.ca

https://www.canada.ca/en/border-ser...o-border-measures-in-british-columbia.html#bc

You would be incorrect.

frederixx

Dec 5, 2005
Head cases like him do not change. He doesn't deserve another change and whatever team that gets him will regret it and hope they get wiped in 1st round

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
If Kane was positive and symptomatic, there should be no debate that he shouldn't get on a plane. Especially if he was screened by a human before boarding and he lied about not having symptoms or being positive.

To those who travel, are verbal screenings of COVID positivity or symptoms happening?. If so, are these screenings legally binding?

Reactions: CycloneSweep

tkb81

Mar 15, 2009
On paper, maybe Pittsburgh? But Sullivan was absolutely a master at getting D men to play over their heads, and Murray was good enough to get it done.
yah thats close .. didnt MAF play a few games as well? and letang is kinda undervalued by everyone .. but its expected playing on sid and geno's team

Spoilers

Jun 24, 2018
I hope this somehow means he doesn’t sign with the Oilers. Gotta dodge that bullet.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
It does apply to Kane. He owns a residence in Vancouver which he was flying to.

Read through it a little more. Just because you have a residence in Vancouver doesn't mean you're allowed to travel to Canada. And again, it makes absolutely no difference if he does or doesn't qualify, it still broke AHL protocols for him to leave his quarantine.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Things aren't too clear if Kane broke any US/Canada laws. But since he has not been charged or investigated by police I'm assuming he didn't. Or at least nothing illegal by the letter of the law,

Gainesvillain

Apr 9, 2013
Read through it a little more. Just because you have a residence in Vancouver doesn't mean you're allowed to travel to Canada. And again, it makes absolutely no difference if he does or doesn't qualify, it still broke AHL protocols for him to leave his quarantine.
Well, since Kane is a fully-vaxxed Canadian citizen I don’t see any reason to question the judgement of the border guards who admitted him to Canada. No doubt he provided them with a negative PCR result.

The AHL thing is interesting, but it was also December 29th that the NHL made a big announcement that protocols were changing to shorten quarantine requirements and since the BC provincial requirements were already 7 days at that point and all hockey ops for Kane's team suspended, I think it would be petty of the NHL to make a huge deal out of this.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton

He is allowed to travel to Canada, he is a Canadian citizen. He was traveling to his habitual residence that he lives in when he isn't away for work. He has lived in Vancouver his entire life, and intends to stay here.

Who can come to Canada?
Canadian citizens (including dual citizens), people registered under the Indian Act, permanent residents of Canada, or protected persons (refugee status) are allowed to enter Canada.

(From previous link)

What does the term habitual residence mean (in common law):

"The term "habitual residence" is to avoid the rigid and arbitrary rules which have come to surround the concept of "domicile". While "domicile" is concerned with duration of time in a year lived in a location and whether there is a future intention to live elsewhere, "habitual residence" involves only a present intention of residence. There is a weaker animus."

Whether a person is habitually resident in a place is a question of fact not law. A person may cease to be habitually resident in a place in a single day if he or she leaves with a settled intention not to return but probably cannot become habitually resident in another place in a single day. Presence over an appreciable period of time and a settled intention to remain indefinitely are necessary to establish habitual residence.

2. What does the term "habitual residence" mean? - The Meaning of "Ordinary Residence" and "Habitual Residence" in the Common Law Provinces in a Family Law Context

I'd find it quite hard to say that it doesn't apply to Kane, in the very least I don't think you'd be able to convict him on the basis it is not applicable to him.

Even if he was only intending to stay in Vancouver for a short period of time, it would be considered essential travel for him to check up on his residence in Canada ASAP after a severe flood.

November 2021 Pacific Northwest floods - Wikipedia

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Actually you would be in Kane’s case.
He can’t travel anywhere until he gets medical clearance from the sharks, 1 or 2 negative PCR tests. He never got medical clearance.
To leave the team he has to get team permission, he broke a lot of rules.

Whether or not he has a residence or not, he can’t come to Canada until he clears protocols.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Well, since Kane is a fully-vaxxed Canadian citizen I don’t see any reason to question the judgement of the border guards who admitted him to Canada. No doubt he provided them with a negative PCR result.

The AHL thing is interesting, but it was also December 29th that the NHL made a big announcement that protocols were changing to shorten quarantine requirements and since the BC provincial requirements were already 7 days at that point and all hockey ops for Kane's team suspended, I think it would be petty of the NHL to make a huge deal out of this.

He wouldn't have qualified at the time for being a fully-vaxxed Canadian citizen but that could be lied about because one of the requirements is not being positive. The other angle of this is that he was only about a month removed from being suspended for an NHL COVID-19 protocol violation for the fake vaccine card. This is not simply about this one incident which is mild by comparison. And in the face of everything that has been going on with Kane, it's not as if he didn't know he was under a microscope. It's to such a degree that it's reasonable to suspect that he's doing it on purpose to get out of his contract. I think as long as the PA gets the league to not make this a precedent again that they will be fine with it because it's probably in Kane's best interest to have that contract terminated and get a new one.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Actually you would be in Kane’s case.
He can’t travel anywhere until he gets medical clearance from the sharks, 1 or 2 negative PCR tests. He never got medical clearance.
To leave the team he has to get team permission, he broke a lot of rules.

Whether or not he has a residence or not, he can’t come to Canada until he clears protocols.

The sharks are not the Canadian government. I understand the reasoning that the sharks can get mad at him and punish him with regards to his contract.

But like... dudes house was in the middle of a flood that caused 7.5 billion in property damage. I'd be shocked if the CBA didn't have emergency leave provisions for players.

Idk, would you get fired from your job if you left because your house was on fire?

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Doesn’t matter anyway, they said on the radio the NHL is investigating now, and he won’t be traded anywhere until investigation complete.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
The sharks are not the Canadian government. I understand the reasoning that the sharks can get mad at him and punish him with regards to his contract.

But like... dudes house was in the middle of a flood that caused 7.5 billion in property damage. I'd be shocked if the CBA didn't have emergency leave provisions for players.

Idk, would you get fired from your job if you left because your house was on fire?
Doesn’t matter, he needed medical clearance and Sharks permission, he had neither.
ya
Nothing to do with CBA it’s what the league protocols on Covid are,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad