LeBrun: Evander Kane close to signing, will happen by the weekend per his agent (EDM, FLA, TB top 3 choices)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Hey evander come play with the oilers on the 3rd line where you can play with generational talents like McLeod and kassian!
The Oilers mix up the lines regularly. He's almost certain to get some time with McDavid and/or Draisaitl. Might get put on the top pair right away.

Hyman-McD-Kane
Nuge (or Foegle, until Nuge comes back)-Drai-Pulujarvi

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
It’s amusing to see some Oilers fans claim that signing Kane will put them into contender status. I guess they forgot about their horrendous defence and garbage goaltenders, not to mention the subpar coach. One signing will not move the needle much

If it equates to putting up more goals on the board, the Oil could alter their approach and start winning more games. There have been teams with questionable D and near-average net minding that have won Cups.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
If the NHL suspends him, It will be interesting to see how that would be enforced on a player with no contract. Will it be a time based suspension ? (cant sign or be in the NHL until a certain date) or would his suspension be applied to his next contact. ?

Also wondering if the NHL needs to wait for the end result of the grievance before handing out any punishment. If they do not and rule a suspension or other punishment before the grievance case, then things can get muddy. How does that influence the grievance ruling? It would look silly if the arbiter sides with Kane but the NHL says hes guilty. Could there be 2 grievances at once?

I believe this is uncharted waters.

It would probably be enforced after signing like it has been for other sports.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
I thought this was old news? (and by old I mean this past weekend - which is ancient in Kane lore)

The new part is that the NHL is now doing an independent investigation beyond what the Sharks did (voiding his contract)

And that Kane likely cannot sign until its done.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Doesn’t matter if he is a Canadian citizen,’he was supposed to quarantine not hop on a commercial flight and fly home.

He tested positive on the 21st, then crossed the border to go home on the 28th. He passed the 5 day window from the CDC, and he's a Canadian citizen who cannot be denied entry from Canada at the border.

Idk, maybe he broke the Sharks protocol, but it's not like he hard broke the rules, and the mini-sharks were on a huge layoff with covid postponements. He fulfilled his government mandated quarantine and then went home over the break when his teams facility was closed.

I think there is lots of things to admonish Kane about, but I'm not sure this is high on the list.

mouz135

Apr 27, 2013
If it equates to putting up more goals on the board, the Oil could alter their approach and start winning more games. There have been teams with questionable D and near-average net minding that have won Cups.
You may be able to outscore your opponent but there is no getting around a shitty head coach who has no system and can’t line match. That’s the one true hurdle that will stop Edmonton from being a contender

Reactions: BlueSeal

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
The new part is that the NHL is now doing and independent investigation beyond what the Sharks did (voiding his contract)

Friedman noted that he could still sign, but teams would likely want to wait until they hear a ruling.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
The new part is that the NHL is now doing and independent investigation beyond what the Sharks did (voiding his contract)

Ah. Looks like he's gone for the rest of the regular season if they suspend him again for covid violations.

If that's the case, and he signs for 1m with a team, does he not count against the cap?

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Ah. Looks like he's gone for the rest of the regular season if they suspend him again for covid violations.

If they did that , that would effectively prevent any team to signing him. He will have to wait for July 1. I imagine that would really suck for Kane. I think he needs a short 4-5 month "probation" contact before any team signs him long term. And teams wont be as desperate for help at the beginning of the season even for a 1 year deal.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
He tested positive on the 21st, then crossed the border to go home on the 28th. He passed the 5 day window from the CDC, and he's a Canadian citizen who cannot be denied entry from Canada at the border.

Idk, maybe he broke the Sharks protocol, but it's not like he hard broke the rules, and the mini-sharks were on a huge layoff with covid postponements. He fulfilled his government mandated quarantine and then went home over the break when his teams facility was closed.

I think there is lots of things to admonish Kane about, but I'm not sure this is high on the list.

He broke AHL COVID-19 protocols about a month after he came off suspension for breaking NHL COVID-19 protocols with the fake vax card. I don't think Canada had shortened its quarantine period by the alleged travel date anyway but even if they had, it doesn't absolve him from the protocols in place by the leagues. And since that's who his contract is with and considering the suspension in the same season regarding it, I think it's plenty justifiable to bring this to the table...especially if this is what Kane wants anyway.

Reactions: Rob Brown

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009

Sure, but you'd think that someone that is on incredibly thin ice and trying to re-establish themselves in the NHL would be extra careful and consult his team to ensure that he doesn't do anything that would put his future in jeopardy. He clearly just doesn't care and has extremely bad judgement on virtually everything.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
He broke AHL COVID-19 protocols about a month after he came off suspension for breaking NHL COVID-19 protocols with the fake vax card. I don't think Canada had shortened its quarantine period by the alleged travel date anyway but even if they had, it doesn't absolve him from the protocols in place by the leagues. And since that's who his contract is with and considering the suspension in the same season regarding it, I think it's plenty justifiable to bring this to the table...especially if this is what Kane wants anyway.

Canada doesn't care if you've quarantined before you get on the plane. You need a negative PCR test to get on the plane, and then need to quarantine when you've arrived. Period.

Only way he could have broken any rules that weren't AHL only rules would be if he took a team chartered private jet.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
I'm guessing Kane's defense is that breaking AHL COVID rules but not cross country legal rules warrants a suspension and not a contract termination.

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004

The 5 day window is if you are asymptomatic. He was reportedly symptomatic so that's where the problem is

Gotaf7

Nov 6, 2011

Quarantine was 10 days at that point!

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
NHL
The new part is that the NHL is now doing an independent investigation beyond what the Sharks did (voiding his contract)

Four days ago, Bill Daly stated that the NHL's position was that there were "adequate grounds to terminate" on the basis of this violation, but now they are investigating. I don't support what Kane did or want him on my team, but the NHL is a total clown show in its handling of this.

Billy8484

Feb 17, 2020
Ottawa , Canada
I thought Edm was for sure gonna sign him, but now Im leaning Tb. Just seems like a move they would make, plus Kane probably wants to party in Florida.
I’m pretty sure Tampa just walked away from him , down to oilers -panthers I believe ..May like what Kodak can provide him lol

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
The 5 day window is if you are asymptomatic. He was reportedly symptomatic so that's where the problem is
Not according to the CDC

"If you had COVID-19 and had symptoms, isolate for at least 5 days. To calculate your 5-day isolation period, day 0 is your first day of symptoms. Day 1 is the first full day after your symptoms developed. You can leave isolation after 5 full days."

Quarantine & Isolation

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Canada doesn't care if you've quarantined before you get on the plane. You need a negative PCR test to get on the plane, and then need to quarantine when you've arrived. Period.

Only way he could have broken any rules that weren't AHL only rules would be if he took a team chartered private jet.

Canada cares if you're positive and symptomatic which Kane allegedly was but again it is irrelevant what the federal rules are on this matter because the NHL and AHL rules are what matters as it relates to his contract.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Not according to the CDC

"If you had COVID-19 and had symptoms, isolate for at least 5 days. To calculate your 5-day isolation period, day 0 is your first day of symptoms. Day 1 is the first full day after your symptoms developed. You can leave isolation after 5 full days."

Quarantine & Isolation

Yes but that didn't necessarily apply to Canada at the alleged time of the travel. The rules were in the process of being changed but hadn't in Canada by then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad