Player Discussion Evan Bouchard

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Well....below is the definition of the Norris trophy. I dont think Bouchard qulaifies,

The James Norris Memorial Trophy, or simply the Norris Trophy, is awarded annually to the National Hockey League's top "defense player who demonstrates throughout the season the greatest all-round ability in the position"

James Norris Memorial Trophy - Wikipedia

I do agree that Bouchard is more reliable than Nurse though.
I think that Bouchard is more like Tyson Barrie. An excellent offensive dman with defensive deficiencies.
Norris has been a joke for a long time tbh. They basically swap the criteria every second season or so. One year it goes to all around play, then other years they just gift it on points. Many years the trophy went to players who didn't deserve it but they accumulated the most points so....

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Well....below is the definition of the Norris trophy. I dont think Bouchard qualifies,
Not yet anyway.

The James Norris Memorial Trophy, or simply the Norris Trophy, is awarded annually to the National Hockey League's top "defense player who demonstrates throughout the season the greatest all-round ability in the position"

I think that Bouchard is more like Tyson Barrie. An excellent offensive dman who can play top minutes (part time) but has defensive deficiencies.
That might be the definition but remember who votes on it and how dumb and biased some of the media really are.

Reactions: bobbythebrain

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
That might be the definition but remember who votes on it and how dumb and biased some of the media really are.
I hear you but based on my viewings of Bouchard this season and the multitude of defensive blunders he has been responsible for there is no way IMO he gets any substantial Norris consideration.

I mean Bouchard isnt even the best dman on this team.

Last edited:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I hear you but based on my viewings of Bouchard this season and the multitude of defensive blunders he has been responsible for there is no way IMO he gets any substantial Norris consideration.

I mean Bouchard isnt even the best dman on ths team.
Ekholm is our best all around D and then I'd say that Bouch is 2nd. Yes he makes dumb plays and sometimes looks like he isn't giving 100%, but he's still an impactful player on the ice for us.

Reactions: Duke74

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Ekholm is our best all around D and then I'd say that Bouch is 2nd. Yes he makes dumb plays and sometimes looks like he isn't giving 100%, but he's still an impactful player on the ice for us.
Definitely an impact player.
We agree there for sure. I am really enjoying watching Bouchard grow.

I just dont think that he is Norris caliber....just yet.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002

I mean Bouchard isnt even the best dman on ths team.
Agreed, I like Bouchard plenty but when you’re not as good as your own D partner, pretty tough to win the Norris. Bouchard likely struggles without Ekholm, Ekholm likely doesn’t miss a beat without Bouchard.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Agreed, I like Bouchard plenty but when you’re not as good as your own D partner, pretty tough to win the Norris. Bouchard likely struggles without Ekholm, Ekholm likely doesn’t miss a beat without Bouchard.
Thats my position as well.
Lets not get carried away with Bouchards success until we see that he can generate it without the support of teams best dman in Ekholm.
Right now Ekholm is clearly the straw that stirs that drink.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Ek I'd say has been jumping into the play as much or more than Bouch lately. That can only happen if he's confident in Bouch staying home and a forward covering for him at the point. I think that it is a mutually beneficial partnership and that Bouch is very fortunate to have a vet like Ekholm to lean on and talk to about the game.

Reactions: Faelko

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Well....below is the definition of the Norris trophy. I dont think Bouchard qualifies,
Not yet anyway.

I think that Bouchard is more like Tyson Barrie. An excellent offensive dman who can play top minutes (part time) but has defensive deficiencies.
The voters love points.

Karlsson just won it with one of the worst statistical defensive seasons of all time.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
The voters love points.

Karlsson just won it with one of the worst statistical defensive seasons of all time.
They do but the reality is how can you give Norris votes to a player that isnt even the best dman on the team he plays for?

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I think Ekholm needs to reel it in a bit before the playoffs.

It is obvious he's playing out of position a little compared to what he played in Nashville.

Some of this is systems but his positioning also tells me he closes the gap between himself and his defensive partner, Bouchard. On zone entry, we saw this last night, right up to the crease, we also witnessed this last night.

This is because he expects poor coverage from Bouchard. With another partner the gap between Ekholm and his coverage, his assignment, is reduced. And this is Ekholm's bread and butter.

Ekholm entered the season with a core injury i believe. Hamstring or core, they are closely related injuries. When you are constantly overstretching for coverage because you are babysitting a partner this becomes an issue.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

It is obvious he's playing out of position a little compared to what he played in Nashville.

Some of this is systems but his positioning also tells me he closes the gap between himself and his defensive partner, Bouchard. On zone entry, we saw this last night, right up to the crease, we also witnessed this last night.

This is because he expects poor coverage from Bouchard. With another partner the gap between Ekholm and his coverage, his assignment, is reduced. And this is Ekholm's bread and butter.

Ekholm entered the season with a core injury i believe. Hamstring or core, they are closely related injuries. When you are constantly overstretching for coverage because you are babysitting a partner this becomes an issue.
Are you really jumping to the conclusion that Ekholms injury is due to covering for Bouchard?

• Haha
Reactions: SavoieSeason

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Are you really jumping to the conclusion that Ekholms injury is due to covering for Bouchard?
Overcompensation.

Ekholm will have more to give if his partner positions himself better. Because then Ekholm can position himself to be his best.

There has to be more trust and intuition between the two in the defensive zone. That would make the Edmonton Oilers a better overall hockey club on the defensive side.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
People around the league are gushing over how dominant Ekholm is right now. But apparently he should real it in a bit. I think we're past calling it an opinion stage

Reactions: Ol' Jase

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
They do but the reality is how can you give Norris votes to a player that isnt even the best dman on the team he plays for?
I guess it comes down to how much you value his work on the PP.

If you include that, he’s definitely the most impactful defenseman on the team.

Reactions: alanschu

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Overcompensation.

Ekholm will have more to give if his partner positions himself better. Because then Ekholm can position himself to be his best.

There has to be more trust and intuition between the two in the defensive zone. That would make the Edmonton Oilers a better overall hockey club on the defensive side.
You're aware Ekholm was injured while training to get ready for the year right?

And has nothing to do with his on ice "compensating".

These 2 work very good together, hence how good their results are.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I guess it comes down to how much you value his work on the PP.

If you include that, he’s definitely the most impactful defenseman on the team.
There are other powerplay quarterbacks in this league that could replace Bouchard and give you a better overall game, not many of them are being talked about for a Norris Trophy.

We even got one in house. You don't think Ekholm could produce with McDavid, Draisaitl, Nuge and Hyman on the powerplay?

That might be awe-inspiring.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
There are other powerplay quarterbacks in this league that could replace Bouchard and give you a better overall game, not many of them are being talked about for a Norris Trophy.

We even got one in house. You don't think Ekholm could produce with McDavid, Draisaitl, Nuge and Hyman on the powerplay?

That might be awe-inspiring.
You probably think Broberg could run it better.

hard to take your comments serious.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

What the hell does this even mean?:huh::laugh:

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Ek I'd say has been jumping into the play as much or more than Bouch lately. That can only happen if he's confident in Bouch staying home and a forward covering for him at the point. I think that it is a mutually beneficial partnership and that Bouch is very fortunate to have a vet like Ekholm to lean on and talk to about the game.
Very happy to have both!

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Ekholm must compensate for Bouchard even when they arent on the ice together, Unbelievable that Bouchard has good analytics and good gf% even with Ekholm not babysitting him.

Doesnt make sense

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
It means Bouchard stinks in the defensive zone, and his intensity and decision making during critical game changing plays, wherever they may be on the ice surface, is for shit.

Everyone not belonging to the cult acknowledges this.
What “cult” are you referring to here?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad