Player Discussion Evan Bouchard

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Ekholm also makes mistakes, his mistake in OT in St Louis would have people trying to trade Bouchard if he did it.
No perfect players in the NHL that I am aware of.
One of the many things that makes Ekholm such a good player is that his mistakes are few and far between.

Reactions: Tobias Kahun

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
No perfect players in the NHL that I am aware of.
One of the many things that makes Ekholm such a good player is that his mistakes are few and far between.
Hes also sneaky dirty around the net, I wish Nurse was more like that.

Reactions: guymez

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
"My worry is Bouchard is rubbing off on Ekholm more than Ekholm is rubbing off on Bouchard."

This statement sums up the agenda
Fact is, Bouchard is rubbing off on him, in a good way. Ekholm is seeing the best point production of his career. He's putting up important numbers at 5v5.
Pretty amazing when you're watching a Dallas feed and they get to watch Harley-Heiskanen all the time they are also gushing about the Bouchard-Ekholm pair.
Ekholm in his last 10 games has been Norris level good. It's hilarious how 1 bad game sways some people. Simple minds i guess

Reactions: oXo Cube

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
:facepalm: Points are hard to get in that amount, especially as a defenseman, also you should take your advice and watch the game.

Evan Bouchard absolutely deserves to be in that Norris conversation.
I watch closer than most people. That's the problem. I have no life in the winters. All I do is watch hockey, talk hockey, scout hockey

I'm not saying Bouchard is a bad player, but Norris talk is a little goofy (Hughes, Makar, Josi, Hedman eat his lunch)

I don't get how people here are so passionately defending Bouchard. Take off the bias homer glasses

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I watch closer than most people.
You don't, you've decided you so as, what seems to be, a need to be contrarian (with a touch of inferiority) where you HAVE to assume Bouchard is worse because Oilers.

He's not, he's absolutely playing the level of those other guys and absolutely deserves to be in the conversation. It's not like a feeling or an idea, it's a reality.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
You don't, you've decided you so as, what seems to be, a need to be contrarian (with a touch of inferiority) where you HAVE to assume Bouchard is worse because Oilers.

He's not, he's absolutely playing the level of those other guys and absolutely deserves to be in the conversation. It's not like a feeling or an idea, it's a reality.
Bouchard is playing on the level of Hughes, Josi, Makar and Hedman? Sure.......

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
:facepalm: Points are hard to get in that amount, especially as a defenseman, also you should take your advice and watch the game.

Evan Bouchard absolutely deserves to be in that Norris conversation.

This is fantasy. Step outside the fanboy realm.

Start a thread on the mainboard or create a poll where non-oiler fans can have their say. You are in for a rude awakening.

Bouchard is playing on the level of Hughes, Josi, Makar and Hedman? Sure.......

Once they've joined the Bouchard Cult, they distance themselves from outside influences.

It's incredible. And I can see this this delusion taking the Oilers into their next albatros contract. That's my main worry concerning Bouchard. The cultists chirp "that boy's gonna get paid" while helicoptering their noodles. That's fanboy power.

I never seen fanboyism of this level. Bouchard is an offensive defenceman with major flaws in his game playing with 2 of the top offensive players of this generation and is partnered with an actual superb defenceman that has a well rounded game in Ekholm.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Look I am not saying he doesn't have a future.

I am saying TODAY he needs to wake up and not play stoned. Stop the constant mistakes
I think that Bouchard is on the tier just below Hughes and Makar.
So no he isnt at their level yet but he is knocking at the door.

IMO he doesnt have the complete game that Makar and Hughes have.
I do think that Bocuchard has Norris potential though...if he can clean up his game.
Is he in the Norris conversation this season?
In a peripheral way maybe but not in any serious Norris discussion.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Is this sarcasm?
No it's not and I question peoples hockey knowledge when they make posts like he is a bum, here are some facts Bouchard has been on the ice for 156 goals the oilers has scored this season that's 60% of all the goals scored he has been on the ice for 72 goals against which is 33% of the time , the Oilers are far better with him on the ice instead of off . anyone who states he makes the Oilers a worse team has no clue about this game

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I think that Bouchard is on the tier just below Hughes and Makar.
So no he isnt at their level yet but he is knocking at the door.

IMO he doesnt have the complete game that Makar and Hughes have.
I do think that Bocuchard has Norris potential though...if he can clean up his game.
Is he in the Norris conversation this season?
In a peripheral way maybe but not in any serious Norris discussion.
I don't agree completely, Bouchard is right there with those guys, he gets less credit because those guys have done it before.

Hughes is going to win it going away imo, and Bouchard might end up anywhere from 2nd to 5th in voting, but he deserves to be there with his level of play this year.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I don't agree completely, Bouchard is right there with those guys, he gets less credit because those guys have done it before.

Hughes is going to win it going away imo, and Bouchard might end up anywhere from 2nd to 5th in voting, but he deserves to be there with his level of play this year.
I think if you watched Makar and Hughes more you would see that there is a gap between them and Bouchard.
Bouchard just isnt at that level when it comes to his all around game yet.
I expect the Norris votes will reflect that.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I think if you watched Makar and Hughes more you would see that there is a gap between them and Bouchard.
Bouchard just isnt at that level when it comes to his all around game yet.
I expect the Norris votes will reflect that.
They are great players, but I think they get extra credit for not being Oilers, they are better than Bouchard that I won't argue.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
They are great players, but I think they get extra credit for not being Oilers, they are better than Bouchard that I won't argue.
Could be and I wish that Bouchard was at their level. I really do but I just dont see it yet.
The other thing to consider as well is that Bouchard is a different type of dman in a lot of ways.
Makar and Hughes are very mobile and quick to accelerate to full speed. It helps them get out of trouble.
Bouchard is a good skater but his first few strides are not ever going to be at the level of a Makar or Hughes. That tends to get him in trouble defensively.
I also see Makar and Hughes being able to control a game (at least in part)...Bouchard isnt able to do that just yet.

Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Bouchard one ice for 60% Goals 33% goals against
Hughes one ice for 59% of goals 33% goals against
Makar one ice for 50% of goals 41% goals against

Bouchard so bad lol

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
So...

Bouchard...

16 goals, so far.

60 assists, so far.

+29

Visibly getting better at defense for anyone with half a brain. Still super young.

This isn't Schultz or Gilbert where if you squint and dim the lights the "potential" for Norris nominee is maybe a tiny bit possible.

This is a defenseman that is a stat currently in the NHL. Better offensively than any Oiler defenseman in forever it feels like and tons of room to grow.

He is an incredible player, way ahead of where I thought he would be. I am shocked that there is any Bouchard bashing going on no matter how bad his odd and getting odder mental gaffs are.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
If Bouchard played for the Columbus Blue Jackets he'd be universally recognized for what he is, an offensive defenseman with significant flaws in his game.

It would be accepted that Bouchard is a full time NHL player who struggles for ice time because of his deficiencies... without McDavid and Draisaitl level players inflating his offensive statistics and Ekholm cloaking his defensive flaws.

Reactions: Dieseloil

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
If Bouchard played for the Columbus Blue Jackets he'd be universally recognized for what he is, an offensive defenseman with significant flaws in his game.

It would be accepted that Bouchard is a full time NHL player who struggles for ice time because of his deficiencies... without McDavid and Draisaitl level players inflating his offensive statistics and Ekholm cloaking his defensive flaws.
You are acting like Bouchard is the only player to benefit from playing with good players.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
No it's not and I question peoples hockey knowledge when they make posts like he is a bum, here are some facts Bouchard has been on the ice for 156 goals the oilers has scored this season that's 60% of all the goals scored he has been on the ice for 72 goals against which is 33% of the time , the Oilers are far better with him on the ice instead of off . anyone who states he makes the Oilers a worse team has no clue about this game
NOBODY is saying he makes the Oilers worse. You guys are taking this out of context. We are saying 2 things.

1. He is not on the same tier or even CLOSE to Makar and Hughes
2. He makes way too many bone head mistakes. Sure he does good things, but he also makes your head hurt.

Reactions: Dieseloil

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad