Player Discussion Evan Bouchard

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
If Bouchard played for the Columbus Blue Jackets he'd be universally recognized for what he is, an offensive defenseman with significant flaws in his game.

It would be accepted that Bouchard is a full time NHL player who struggles for ice time because of his deficiencies... without McDavid and Draisaitl level players inflating his offensive statistics and Ekholm cloaking his defensive flaws.

McDavid and Draisaitl are not 5v5 juggernauts. They have been improving but their impact on the game isn't as much as you would hope for the kind of points they put up.

Obviously Ekholm is the biggest difference in why goal differential has skyrocketed for all of McDavid Draisaitl and Bouchard.

Bouchard is one of the youngest most talented offensive defensman in the league. He absolutely is in the same teir as Hughes and Dobson. Makar is on another level from everyone right now but only one level not a whole bunch of levels.

Bouchard is one of the current best NHL defenseman period. Top 10 and not just because of his scoring. His defensive warts are not even close to offsetting his incredible offense and his defense is no where near as bad as being suggested.

We have some people on here taking a nice cruise on the river denile.

Hughes has taken great strides this year defensively and is obviously great offensively as well but I'm curious how his tiny frame will hold up in a playoff series when players ramp up the physicality.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
You are acting like Bouchard is the only player to benefit from playing with good players.
I'm not, that's silly, in Columbus Bouchard would as well benefit playing with good players.

Ivan Provorov on the Oilers would look f***ing fantastic and give the Oilers a shot at the cup this postseason. As would Rasmus Andersson. Neither of these defenseman are in the Norris Trophy conversation. Bouchard apparently is in the opinion of the cult.
McDavid and Draisaitl are not 5v5 juggernauts. They have been improving but their impact on the game isn't as much as you would hope for the kind of points they put up.

Obviously Ekholm is the biggest difference in why goal differential has skyrocketed for all of McDavid Draisaitl and Bouchard.

Bouchard is one of the youngest most talented offensive defensman in the league. He absolutely is in the same teir as Hughes and Dobson. Makar is on another level from everyone right now but only one level not a whole bunch of levels.

Bouchard is one of the current best NHL defenseman period. Top 10 and not just because of his scoring. His defensive warts are not even close to offsetting his incredible offense and his defense is no where near as bad as being suggested.

Hughes has taken great strides this year defensively and is obviously great offensively as well but I'm curious how his tiny frame will hold up in a playoff series when players ramp up the physicality.
Transfer Bouchard out and replace him with a "top 2 defenseman from any other team in the league" and you likely have a better player currently playing on the Edmonton Oilers than Evan Bouchard.

Again, Bouchard isn't all that special. He's an offensive defenseman with major holes in his game... an inconsistent compete level, poor recognition of unfolding plays and devastating defensive lapses.

Reactions: Dieseloil

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I'm not, that's silly, in Columbus Bouchard would as well benefit playing with good players.

Ivan Provorov on the Oilers would look f***ing fantastic and give the Oilers a shot at the cup this postseason. As would Rasmus Andersson. Neither of these defenseman are in the Norris Trophy conversation. Bouchard apparently is in the opinion of the cult.

Transfer Bouchard out and replace him with a "top 2 defenseman from any other team in the league" and you likely have a better player currently playing on the Edmonton Oilers than Evan Bouchard.

Again, Bouchard isn't all that special. He's an offensive defenseman with major holes in his game... an inconsistent compete level, poor recognition of unfolding plays and devastating defensive lapses.
So. I truly believe to each their own. Agree to disagree.

Bouchards shot is already #1 in the league. Top 3 forsure. His passing elite elite elite. He is very young. Defenseman don't hit their stride until 28. His defensive gaffs are fewer and fewer between and his overall defensive game far higher than what would be considered an offense "only" defenseman.

Bouchard was special in the OHL. He is a special player in the NHL. Superstar level defenseman. The Norris is nothing but a points trophy and has been for a long time, as such of course Bouchard IS in the Norris conversation. Obviously behind a few but legitimately in the conversation and "should" be for years to come.

If... if... Bouchard continues to develop in a relatively linear fashion into his prime... you potentially have a HHOF level defender. Please note I am not saying he is, or likely will be, just if he continues to progress like he has he "could" be.

There is no trade defender for defender you do and expect to win in the long run barring an elite handful. I watch a lot of hockey, play pools... Provorov... Rasmus... You have to be joking.

You have a massive blind spot for Bouchard with those comparisons.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I've followed Bouchard's career including before he entered the NHL. I've stated this enough times. So it doesn't matter if I ever mention it again.

Even with the notable flaws in his junior game I thought he was going to be the next Al MacInnis.

I wish Evan Bouchard would play better hockey. Because he's not remotely close to what I thought he might be. Not even close.

He's improved his overall game a little this season but not nearly enough. The player as of today is an offensive defenseman with his overall game being hot garbage.

ozhenson

Jul 26, 2007
Ekholm scores a goaline goal. Imagine if that's saved and he's behind the neutral zone.
Oh my trade Ekholm for a defensive defenseman asap. This team will never win with him
That's ummm, just because Bouchard is rubbing off on him? Am I doing this right?

Some of these takes are worse than my 7 year old nephew. But of course, you've been watching hockey your entire life, so how can you be wrong?

We've got some incredible, knowledgeable fans here. BUT, there are a lot of Oil fans and that sure opens up the gates for some truly daft people.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014

Q Hughes is pretty close or on Makar's level. He has actually taken huge steps this year.

Q. Hughes is better defensively than Makar.

Go watch like 10 full nucks games

• Haha
Reactions: CantHaveTkachev

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Ekholm is a defensive defenseman. He is the man.
Actually he's not. He got caught behind the puck on a goal and was deep in the offensive zone atleast a dozen times yesterday.
You've made it painfully clear that a good defenseman should NEVER be in those positions.
He was 100% the culprit on Coltons goal.
How come you aren't crying about it?

Q Hughes is pretty close or on Makar's level. He has actually taken huge steps this year.

Q. Hughes is better defensively than Makar.

Go watch like 10 full nucks games
Lolol. No just no

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
I've followed Bouchard's career including before he entered the NHL. I've stated this enough times. So it doesn't matter if I ever mention it again.

Even with the notable flaws in his junior game I thought he was going to be the next Al MacInnis.

I wish Evan Bouchard would play better hockey. Because he's not remotely close to what I thought he might be. Not even close.

He's improved his overall game a little this season but not nearly enough. The player as of today is an offensive defenseman with his overall game being hot garbage.
I know what is hot garbage...

Reactions: Duke74

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

I honestly have no idea what you thought Bouchard would be. I saw more of him than I would have liked as a guy who follows the Rangers. His offensive game is every bit fulfilling expectations. I never expected a defensive stalwart but the steps he has taken this year are absolutely notable.

You are obviously watching a different defenseman than all most all of the rest of us. I suspect that this is an extreme case of observational bias. It seems that your eyes and brain fixate on every perceived mistake which explains why you went into hyperdrive over a pass into the slot. When people watch the ``same thing'' and come away with completely different versions of what happens it is time to look to objective evidence. In this case, that objective evidence are Bouchard's stats which are virtually impossible to explain if he really was hot garbage.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
I honestly have no idea what you thought Bouchard would be. I saw more of him than I would have liked as a guy who follows the Rangers. His offensive game is every bit fulfilling expectations. I never expected a defensive stalwart but the steps he has taken this year are absolutely notable.

You are obviously watching a different defenseman than all most all of the rest of us. I suspect that this is an extreme case of observational bias. It seems that your eyes and brain fixate on every perceived mistake which explains why you went into hyperdrive over a pass into the slot. When people watch the ``same thing'' and come away with completely different versions of what happens it is time to look to objective evidence. In this case, that objective evidence are Bouchard's stats which are virtually impossible to explain if he really was hot garbage.
Let's be clear. He didn't scout anything. He watched that one Youtube video that showed Bouchards lazy plays and he's been convinced ever since.
The amount of comments on specific plays he got 100% wrong support this.
Apparently 5min of Youtube is considered "scouting" nowadays lol

Ask him what one of Bouchards most impressive stats pre-draft was. A stat he crushed anyone else at. I 100% bet he couldn't tell you. Someone who actually "followed" Bouchard would know this

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
So. I truly believe to each their own. Agree to disagree.

Bouchards shot is already #1 in the league. Top 3 forsure. His passing elite elite elite. He is very young. Defenseman don't hit their stride until 28. His defensive gaffs are fewer and fewer between and his overall defensive game far higher than what would be considered an offense "only" defenseman.

Bouchard was special in the OHL. He is a special player in the NHL. Superstar level defenseman. The Norris is nothing but a points trophy and has been for a long time, as such of course Bouchard IS in the Norris conversation. Obviously behind a few but legitimately in the conversation and "should" be for years to come.

If... if... Bouchard continues to develop in a relatively linear fashion into his prime... you potentially have a HHOF level defender. Please note I am not saying he is, or likely will be, just if he continues to progress like he has he "could" be.

There is no trade defender for defender you do and expect to win in the long run barring an elite handful. I watch a lot of hockey, play pools... Provorov... Rasmus... You have to be joking.

You have a massive blind spot for Bouchard with those comparisons.
He's 24 with over 300 pro games so not sure you can still call him very young. I mean that only from the standpoint of of organic growth being automatic just by getting in more games. Makar kind of looks the same as at 23. Coffey and MacInnis were their prime versions by 23 even if they were yet to have their peak scoring seasons. How much better is Darnell defensively then he was a couple of years ago? EB could become somewhat better defensively but that isn't for sure IMO.

Now if he is a 90pt defenseman who cares that he isn't defensively gifted so long as he can dial back Bobby Orr a bit in the playoffs? We saw plenty of burnt Coffey and the club was winning Cups with that. I think he will be a better than a ppg D man for years and that is a huge net value. My concern with him is, offensive numbers generally cost more to sign and will he provide sufficient value to justify having less to spend on Connor and Leon? The most valuable D on this team is Ekholm and he isn't $9M+. I am not saying they need to run out and trade Bouchard but the cap ramifications significant.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I am a Bouchard fan. Excellent offensive dman.
The Norris isnt about just offence.
Bouchard isnt even close to the best all around dman on this team so how could he possibly be a League wide Norris nominie?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I am a Bouchard fan. Excellent offensive dman.
The Norris isnt about just offence.
Bouchard isnt even close to the best all around dman on this team so how could he possibly be a League wide Norris nominie?
If it was just about defense Ekholm would be right up there. It's typically offensive defensemen with big stats that can also play a bit off D. Bouchard impacts the game enough to warrant consideration, hell didn't Nurse end up like 7th the one year? Bouch is better than Nurse ever was. I'd guess a top 5-7 finish for Bouch this season, maybe higher if the voters are big into analytics.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
You think Bouchard is better than Hedman of today... YIKES
Did I say that?

You had him listed with a group of the top 3-4 D in the league.

Hedman isn’t that.

Someone who watches closer should know that

But yes, Bouchard and ekholm are both better than Hedman of today.

He’s not even close to the player he once was

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
If it was just about defense Ekholm would be right up there. It's typically offensive defensemen with big stats that can also play a bit off D. Bouchard impacts the game enough to warrant consideration, hell didn't Nurse end up like 7th the one year? Bouch is better than Nurse ever was. I'd guess a top 5-7 finish for Bouch this season, maybe higher if the voters are big into analytics.
Well....below is the definition of the Norris trophy. I dont think Bouchard qualifies,
Not yet anyway.

The James Norris Memorial Trophy, or simply the Norris Trophy, is awarded annually to the National Hockey League's top "defense player who demonstrates throughout the season the greatest all-round ability in the position"

James Norris Memorial Trophy - Wikipedia

I do agree that Bouchard is more reliable than Nurse though.

I think that Bouchard is more like Tyson Barrie. An excellent offensive dman who can play top minutes (part time) but has defensive deficiencies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad