Management Eugene Melnyk - Lawsuits, rants and more... Part 5 (YOUS)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I honestly don't recall seeing much if anything advertising this year's 50/50, anyone know how they were promoting it?

I saw in game offers - so did others … they sold $2000 of tickets and often more each game.

Feels like it may have had the lowest participation of any of the CDN fan bases.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I saw in game offers - so did others … they sold $2000 of tickets and often more each game.

Feels like it may have had the lowest participation of any of the CDN fan bases.
Not surprised that we'd be the lowest, we were for the majority of the season by far the worst team in the north, and pretty much out of playoff contention from the get go. That's going to hurt viewership and as a result 50/50 sales.

I vaguely recall the odd mention of 50/50, but can't think of any concerted effort to push it, maybe they did something with a Twitter feed that I don't follow (they certainly should have been blasting links to people that way, if not that's pretty damn sad excuse for marketing) or ads, idk... If you're going to sell 50/50s you basically need to be in your face, it's not something that can be successful selling passively.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Not surprised that we'd be the lowest, we were for the majority of the season by far the worst team in the north, and pretty much out of playoff contention from the get go. That's going to hurt viewership and as a result 50/50 sales.

I vaguely recall the odd mention of 50/50, but can't think of any concerted effort to push it, maybe they did something with a Twitter feed that I don't follow (they certainly should have been blasting links to people that way, if not that's pretty damn sad excuse for marketing) or ads, idk... If you're going to sell 50/50s you basically need to be in your face, it's not something that can be successful selling passively.

Just because you don’t recall seeing anything doesn’t mean they didn’t market the program well. I saw lots of adds … I just never swiped my credit card. When you are bringing in $1000 a game in revenue how much money would you spend on marketing ? Television was where fans were watching the game and those adds would be costly.

The cable networks have to pay back all the money they pay the league for broadcasting rights.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
So can we blame the guy in charge of the foundation or no?

Like it or not, his reputation over the last few years has hurt his reputation and that affects every everything he's trying to market.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
So can we blame the guy in charge of the foundation or no?

Like it or not, his reputation over the last few years has hurt his reputation and that affects every everything he's trying to market.

The foundation lacked revenue. Weir and Phillips were not able yo get enough fans to participate in the program. Melynk pulled the plug.

Did we lack revenue because people can’t buy $5 tickets for the Sens to give the hospital or whatever some money?

There are daily posts here about how cheap Eugene is … who gave $5 to the sens to do some charity work ? I bet Melynk lost a decent amount of money trying to operate this charity.

I don’t ever recall anyone starting a post to help support the senators charity work in town.

Last edited:
Reactions: Crosside

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Just because you don’t recall seeing anything doesn’t mean they didn’t market the program well. I saw lots of adds … I just never swiped my credit card. When you are bringing in $1000 a game in revenue how much money would you spend on marketing ? Television was where fans were watching the game and those adds would be costly.

The cable networks have to pay back all the money they pay the league for broadcasting rights.

You seem to be defending against an attack I didn't make. I said I didn't see anything, not they didn't do anything. I opined that the numbers were likely hurt because the team wasn't doing well and as a result in game ads likely had fewer viewers to entice.

Not sure what you are getting at with that last sentence... Do you mean "make back all the money"? Sure I guess. That's why I suggested they might have done a social media campaign that I just wasn't captured as part of their targetted blasts.

The reality is if our 50/50 sales were significantly worse than other teams, It's likely because significantly fewer people saw the ads or were aware of it. That might be because we were bad and had fewer fans watching, it might have been because of how we promoted it compared to other teams, or it may be a combination of both.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
You seem to be defending against an attack I didn't make. I said I didn't see anything, not they didn't do anything. I opined that the numbers were likely hurt because the team wasn't doing well and as a result in game ads likely had fewer viewers to entice.

Not sure what you are getting at with that last sentence... Do you mean "make back all the money"? Sure I guess. That's why I suggested they might have done a social media campaign that I just wasn't captured as part of their targetted blasts.

The reality is if our 50/50 sales were significantly worse than other teams, It's likely because significantly fewer people saw the ads or were aware of it. That might be because we were bad and had fewer fans watching, it might have been because of how we promoted it compared to other teams, or it may be a combination of both.

No … your constantly spinning this as Melynk’s fault for some type of failed marketing or whatever.

we didn’t support the program well enough and the problem starts with Sens fans not swiping their credit card. We watch the games, we see the adds.

You can afford $10 and you chose not to give it to the foundation.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
No … your constantly spinning this as Melynk fault for some type of failed marketing or whatever.

If we didn’t support the program well enough the problem starts with Sens fans not swiping their credit card. We watch the games, we see the adds.
I never mentioned Melnyk, no spin, once again, you are defending attacks I didn't make. I assume Melnyk had little to nothing to do with the decisions on how to market the charity.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I never mentioned Melnyk, no spin, once again, you are defending attacks I didn't make. I assume Melnyk had little to nothing to do with the decisions on how to market the charity.

Yes you did - when you criticize the org it stops at Melynk.

Time for fans to realize how poorly they support the Sens and start addressing the problem.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau

I also don't recall seeing anything to promote 50/50 sales. Definitely nothing on Twitter.

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005

Time for fans to realize how poorly they support the Sens and start addressing the problem.
No, we're very well aware what and who the problem is. I mean, there is grocery list of issues surrounding Melnyk, even in matters that don't involve hockey. Its fairly easy to see the root of the problem. Always in the headlines for the wrong reasons, incidents that expand beyond Ottawa and the Senators. Its just the kind of pattern displayed by one who is always poining the finger at everyone else and never ever looks in the mirror. Our hero.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Not every criticism of what an org does is criticism of the owner, and asking about how they marketed a 50/50 isn't criticism. However they marketed it, I wasn't captured to any large degree. I'm curious to know why that is.

I also wonder how this year's online 50/50 sales compare to last year's online 50/50 sales.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Not every criticism of what an org does is criticism of the owner, and asking about how they marketed a 50/50 isn't criticism. However they marketed it, I wasn't captured to any large degree. I'm curious to know why that is.

I also wonder how this year's online 50/50 sales compare to last year's online 50/50 sales.

Most are … we all know there are not a lot of executive pieces in the org.

There is so much resistance to fans accepting any blame. Ottawa has tonnes of money, especially when we had nothing to spend it on the past 16 months … it’s a shame more of us didn’t buy any tickets to help support CHEO or whatever. I sure did enjoy watching those games. It’s the least I could have done.

MCNSTY

Sep 15, 2020
I feel a little guilt and shame as a fan that I didn’t buy any 50/50 tickets … under Covid I watched every single Sens game this past season from home. I probably should have at least bought a $100 pack or something…. Like $5 a home game.

A little more revenue from fans like us may have let them keep the lights on and accomplished some work and in the community.
I feel the same way.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
No, we're very well aware what and who the problem is. I mean, there is grocery list of issues surrounding Melnyk, even in matters that don't involve hockey. Its fairly easy to see the root of the problem. Always in the headlines for the wrong reasons, incidents that expand beyond Ottawa and the Senators. Its just the kind of pattern displayed by one who is always poining the finger at everyone else and never ever looks in the mirror. Our hero.

Feels like that a 2 way problem. Crappy owner, crappy fan base… both sides pointing the finger at each other.

I’m part of the fan base and I’m going to look at my own actions and stop pointing the finger at everyone else.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Most are … we all know there are not a lot of executive pieces in the org.

There is so much resistance to fans accepting any blame. Ottawa has tonnes of money, especially when we had nothing to spend it on the past 16 months … it’s a shame more of us didn’t buy any tickets to help support CHEO or whatever. I sure did enjoy watching those games. It’s the least I could have done.
How do you know people didn't support CHEO? Maybe they just chose more efficient donation avenues? 50/50s are not exactly a great way to get your money working towards helping a cause, if that's your end goal.

You accuse me of criticizing Melnyk even when there is no criticism to speak of but yet you never seem to pass up on an opportunity to blame fans or call them cheap,

Reactions: YouGotAStuGoing

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Feels like that a 2 way problem. Crappy owner, crappy fan base… both sides pointing the finger at each other.

I’m part of the fan base and I’m going to look at my own actions and stop pointing the finger at everyone else.
Chicago, Tampa, Nashville, and NYI had crappy owners too and their fan support was in the gutter.

I wonder what happened.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
How do you know people didn't support CHEO? Maybe they just chose more efficient donation avenues? 50/50s are not exactly a great way to get your money working towards helping a cause, if that's your end goal.

You accuse me of criticizing Melnyk even when there is no criticism to speak of but yet you never seem to pass up on an opportunity to blame fans or call them cheap,

I’m choosing to push back against the constant flow of anti Melynk crap around here. I don’t like the guy either but there is a lot more to our problems than him.

If just tired of people expecting him to run the club like they are owed some type of civic duty from him.

Did you buy any 50/50 tickets ? Did you buy any sens tickets ? The reason we don’t have money, lose players etc is because our fans don’t buy stuff.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Chicago, Tampa, Nashville, and NYI had crappy owners too and their fan support was in the gutter.

I wonder what happened.

I’d like a new owner too… recall NYI let Tavares walk. I think their are more owners interested in owning teams in NYI, Tampa, and ChicAgo than Ottberia.

Attracting ownership interest to Ottawa is every bit a challenging as attacking UFA’s to Ottawa. How many billionaires want to brag at their country club that they are flying into Ottawa by themselves to watch their hockey team play?

It doesn’t help when you can’t even get your fan bases to buy any tickets or support a little charity.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
I’d like a new owner too… recall NYI let Tavares walk. I think their are more owners interested in owning teams in NYI, Tampa, and ChicAgo than Ottberia.

Attracting ownership interest to Ottawa is every bit a challenging as attacking UFA’s to Ottawa.

It doesn’t help when you can’t even get your fan bases to buy any tickets or support a little charity.
Except the Sens got higher regular-season revenues than both the Islanders and Bolts up until very recently, and that's with the Sens being below-average and Tampa being a perennial contender.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Except the Sens got higher regular-season revenues than both the Islanders and Bolts until very recently.

When was the last year ? I’m sure you can see the difference between owning / losing cash on a New York based team vs a team in Ottawa. The eastern seaboard has a lot more billionaires than Ottawa.

I’m well aware that some owners are willing to lose money. Ours is not - he’s willing (and only capable) to put in exactly what is provided.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad