Value of: Erik Karlsson - UFA. Will it happen? Where does he end up?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
He will IMO hit free agency. If he wanted to stay in San Jose he would have either resigned with them or negotiations would be underway in a serious manner.

Whatever team he chooses to sign with they will have to demonstrate a few things 1 they have a winning culture, are able to compete for the foreseeable future, and are a Stanley cup contender .

Money will be secondary to those points I laid out.

Why sign with a team that IMO isn't going anywhere or isn't showing signs of contending .

San Jose IMO is not a team near contending.

Winnipeg,
Las Vegas
Tampa Nashville
Calgary Colorado

My bet is Calgary and colorado.
Ignoring the fact that people honestly beleive Calgary and Colorado (and even the Rangers :huh:) somehow have a better chance to compete is peak HFboards. Why would any player commit to a team who has shown NOTHING to prove they can consistently be in the playoffs and win in the playoffs vs a team with a 20 year history of being in the playoffs every f***ing year including multiple conference finals and a stanley cup finals appearance? Edmonton is a "team on the rise" like Calgary and Colorado too, hell they even one a playoff round more recently than either of those teams but everyone here also thinks Edmonton sucks ass and is a huge tire fire. It's been beaten to death already so I will not detail how or why the Sharks aren't old as f*** and why they will continue to compete for at least the next 3-4 years and probably 5-8 with Karlsson resigned

Not only that, but the first thing you write in your post shows how out of touch you are with the situation. Sharks can't offer an 8th year until after the trade deadline (so why would EK sign for 7 now? the lulz?) and they literally just said last week they are scheduling time to begging negotiations after the all star break.

God I swear no one here uses their brain and everyone would rather support a team that might one day have a chance to get into the playoffs and win a round than support a team who every year is in the playoffs competing for a cup because "youth".

Edit: I read the rest of your posts in this thread and regret that I won't get the time I spent writing this post back. Colorado is contender and SJ is not. IMO you don't know what the hell you're talking about...IMO

Reactions: Frosty415

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
It's great your rooting for your team as anyone would root for their home team. But let's be clear eyed here.

San Jose is not a contender.
They are a playoff team.
These are the list of teams who are serious contenders
Winnipeg
Nashville
Calagary dark horse
Colorado dark horse
Tampa Favortite to win Cup
Toronto
Las Vegas

As a Vegas fan I have to say SJ are definitely more contenders than VGK this year.

All bets are off in a 1st round matchup though.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Ignoring the fact that people honestly beleive Calgary and Colorado (and even the Rangers :huh:) somehow have a better chance to compete is peak HFboards. Why would any player commit to a team who has shown NOTHING to prove they can consistently be in the playoffs and win in the playoffs vs a team with a 20 year history of being in the playoffs every ****ing year including multiple conference finals and a stanley cup finals appearance? Edmonton is a "team on the rise" like Calgary and Colorado too, hell they even one a playoff round more recently than either of those teams but everyone here also thinks Edmonton sucks ass and is a huge tire fire. It's been beaten to death already so I will not detail how or why the Sharks aren't old as **** and why they will continue to compete for at least the next 3-4 years and probably 5-8 with Karlsson resigned

Not only that, but the first thing you write in your post shows how out of touch you are with the situation. Sharks can't offer an 8th year until after the trade deadline (so why would EK sign for 7 now? the lulz?) and they literally just said last week they are scheduling time to begging negotiations after the all star break.

God I swear no one here uses their brain and everyone would rather support a team that might one day have a chance to get into the playoffs and win a round than support a team who every year is in the playoffs competing for a cup because "youth".

Edit: I read the rest of your posts in this thread and regret that I won't get the time I spent writing this post back. Colorado is contender and SJ is not. IMO you don't know what the hell you're talking about...IMO

San Jose is a joke. Chicago rolled them on their way to their first cup. 2nd San Jose choked in the Stanley cup. Making the playoffs is great but that does t make your team the sunshine destination for players who prefer to be crowned the king not be the runner up.

Also Calgary and Colorado are 2 dangerous young teams with lots of depth.

San Jose under no circumstances will win a cup or resign karlsson.

Enjoy watching him while it last because he is hitting free agency.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
No one is taking Cally’s contract unless you tie assets to his name.

Sure but - why wouldn't Tampa do that? If its to make room for Karlsson they absolutely do that. Heck pay a 1st round pick or more to do so if needed - EK is worth that cost easily.

Oct 18, 2011
He won't leave unless he hates San Jose and most people withstand the absurd cost of living in the bay area because they like it there so much

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Point alone will take 8-9 million of that. And Karlsson isn't going to Tampa to take less just because of Florida's taxes. He still wants to get paid in the 12-13 million neighborhood per season.

Stamkos is supposed to be making 10M+ and Kucherov is supposed to be making 12M+ too

Can't wait to come back here and see how many people set themselves on fire when the Point contract is announced.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
As a Vegas fan I have to say SJ are definitely more contenders than VGK this year.

All bets are off in a 1st round matchup though.

It's not hard in that division to have a inflated point total with a bus ride travel schedule to most teams.

Which one of these teams in this division is a playoff team or in the playoff hunt or to be taken serious ?
La kings
Anaheim
Vancouver
Edmonton
Arizona

Let's be honest that division is horrible so the actual stats are inflated and deceiving .

Las Vegas is a solid dangerous team with 4 lines and plenty of cap space and a goalie who has won cups.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Stamkos is supposed to be making 10M+ and Kucherov is supposed to be making 12M+ too

Can't wait to come back here and see how many people set themselves on fire when the Point contract is announced.

Kucherov is a stud. I'm a Chicago fan and just saying that kid would look great in a Indian head sweater playing alongside kane.

Crazy Joe Divola

Jun 20, 2009
Why be on a team that’ll be good for another 3-4 years when you could be on a team that will probably be good 6-8 years from now?

f4ff8b0d242f954810eb3b609c747f31.jpg

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Colorado is a young extremely talented team and should not be underestimated.

San Jose is not a powerhouse. Their a mere playoff team.

Colorado is a one line team that even after a hot start is currently on pace for less than 90 points this season

I too struggle with geography it’s ok.

pfft don't act like you don't regularly take buses from San Jose to Vancouver or San Jose to Phoenix,bus rides up to Edmonton are especially cozy

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Why in God's name would Karlsson come to the Lightning if it was going to be for anything less than a discount? Kucherov doesn't even make $10 million and we're talking $12 million. Maybe for San Jose and it would make perfect sense for Karlsson to do it. We don't have that kind of money. So stay and get paid and win. But if your heart is set on Tampa it's not going to be as much for obvious reasons.

If he were to come to Tampa it will be for what we say. It's gonna be a fraction of San Jose's offer

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
If the Bolts trade Callahan and Miller they will have over $20 million in cap space. Something to keep in mind

Just looked at CapFriendly. Assuming a moderate increase next year to 82mil, with the new contracts kicking in, and assuming Point signs for a modest 8 million, you have 800k left while still needing to add 2 RHD and another forward. You will probably move one of Callahan or Miller to retain Stralman, but his cap hit is going to eat up a good chunk of the cap savings, and then you still need to add another forward and another RHD with whatever you have left.

And that’s assuming 63 points in 47 games Brayden Point signs for 8 million and not something more obscene (but completely justified).

TBL’s cap structure just doesn’t fit another 10+ million defenseman. You would have to move so many pieces your roster wouldn’t even resemble this year’s league best team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad