Value of: Erik Karlsson - UFA. Will it happen? Where does he end up?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Brian Campbell's UFA contract was 8 years, 10.458M when adjusted for an 83 million dollar salary cap.

That's obviously the exception to the rule, he got overpaid. But if we go by the Brian Campbell contract metric indicator, Chicago is signing Erik Karlsson for 25 million a season.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
The problem with east coast teams is that he will play less games in tax-free states. With Seattle coming online soon, the Western conference will have three teams in tax-free states... TX, NV, and WA. The Eastern only two teams in one state, FL.

Whether this counteracts California's obscenely high income tax rate will probably factor in EK's decision to some degree. Of course, Jerry Brown believes that high income earners will remain for the weather and other benefits living in CA. He calls the higher taxes rate La Mordida. Spanish for the bite.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Cap is going up to 83. Point at 8 million is probably at the high end, like I said....people outside Tampa are going to be pissed when they see how much Point signs for.

Will be interesting to see how much Point signs for. Think we would have to do some maneuvering just to get Point signed but would have to do a lot if we wanted Karlsson. Do you really think he is an option in TB this summer?

Reactions: Rschmitz

bigfatfist

Apr 17, 2012
It would make no sense for Karlsson to re-sign with San Jose before going to free agency on July 1st. Even if he's set on staying there, why would he not hear a wider set of (likely higher) offers and use it in the negotiation.

Absolutely think there's a chance he re-signs in San Jose, but will be shocked if this doesn't play out into the summer.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
I would really like him in Detroit. There's cap space this summer and Detroit is very Swede-friendly. No idea if he would be interested, other than playing in a pretty good market and offering a somewhat tame media presence. A Ken Holland for Steve Yzerman swap as GM would be an added bonus, too.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
It would make no sense for Karlsson to re-sign with San Jose before going to free agency on July 1st. Even if he's set on staying there, why would he not hear a wider set of (likely higher) offers and use it in the negotiation.

Absolutely think there's a chance he re-signs in San Jose, but will be shocked if this doesn't play out into the summer.

It makes plenty of sense for Karlsson to re-sign in San Jose if he likes where he is now and just wants to settle in to his new home. Not every player is interested in testing the market.

JoeThorntonsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

He. Can. Get. One. More. Year. Making. An. 8. Figure. Salary.

Saskatoon

Aug 24, 2006
Saskatoon

Different strokes for different folks. If max $ is what he is after then absolutely he will test UFA. If he is happy to be on a pretty good team, live in one of the best climates in North America, and still make a truckload of cash then he might sign in San Jose beforehand.

Kegsey

Defense be scared, Hertl coming.
Oct 20, 2011
Canada
Different strokes for different folks. If max $ is what he is after then absolutely he will test UFA. If he is happy to be on a pretty good team, live in one of the best climates in North America, and still make a truckload of cash then he might sign in San Jose beforehand.

The extra year doesn't hurt either.

Reactions: Saskatoon

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
He. Can. Get. One. More. Year. Making. An. 8. Figure. Salary.

Pretty much. I mean its not like we are exactly going to lowball him. He should be able to get anywhere from between 11-13M AAV over 8 years. So for a team to beat that we are talking 13-15M AAV over 7 years. He seems comfortable with the environment here and his production is most certainly there.

If he leaves, its not going to be because of money. It is going to be because he wants to be elsewhere because of personal reasons.

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009
He still would want to test free agency, even if he circles back for that extra year.

Sort of, during the interview window, he can meet with teams but no actual negotiations are supposed to take place. Once July 1st rolls around he becomes a UFA and the Shark's can no longer offer him an 8-year contract.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Will be interesting to see how much Point signs for. Think we would have to do some maneuvering just to get Point signed but would have to do a lot if we wanted Karlsson. Do you really think he is an option in TB this summer?

If he makes it to free agency and wants to come here, Bolts would be foolish not to figure out a way to make it work.

Reactions: Sila v Kucherove

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
Tavares: 5 30 goal seasons, 7 seasons of 50% FO's or better, 80 point player with Matt Moulson, Josh Bailey, and Anders Lee on his wing, an average 20 minutes of ice time in his career. Yup Karlsson is a "much" better player lol
The poster I quoted said much, not me. You ignored the entire point of my post which was Karlsson playing 26-30 minutes a game with any of the 4 forward lines and running the PP has a larger impact on the overall game than an equally talented player LIKE Tavares due to the nature of the position. I wanted Tavares on the Sharks. Now that we have Karlsson and I've seen the way he impacts the overall way we play, I'd prefer to have Karlsson. Does that mean I don't want JT too? No, I'd love another 1C but having 2 #1 D has been better for the overall team in my opinion.

As you will soon find out in the playoffs, you need to be deep on defense, you can't just score at will when the whistles get put away and teams clutch/grab at will to slow offensive power house teams down.

Karlsson is also easily top 3 in the league as a dman and probably top 5 overall as a player. If you want to split hairs over whether he is slightly better or way better than Tavares go for it. But like I said, someone was going to inevitably come in here all insecure because god forbid someone disrespect their favorite player on their favorite team :help:

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
He's coming to Vancouver to play with Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat and Hughes on the PP1 :laugh:. Seriously though if he's enjoying it in San Jose you'd think he's staying there.

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
He doesn't owe San Jose anything. If he were smart, he would at least test the market and still have the 8 year option from the Sharks.

JoeThorntonsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
He still would want to test free agency, even if he circles back for that extra year.

He can’t sign for 8 years after July 1st.

He doesn't owe San Jose anything. If he were smart, he would at least test the market and still have the 8 year option from the Sharks.

If he were smart, he would know that isn’t how it works.

Reactions: SjMilhouse

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
He can’t sign for 8 years after July 1st.

If he were smart, he would know that isn’t how it works.

Such a bizarre rule. Honestly, it's kind of bizarre that SJ can sign him for an extra year, but you've got to draw a line somewhere. I want to say I saw the owners were pushing for max of 5 with hometown players available to get 7 year deals. That would have been a very interesting wrinkle.

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
That's not how it work, you must sign before July 1 to be eligible for an 8 year deal.
Again, there is the negotiating period that opens up days before July 1st. If there isn't an offer that tickles his fancy, he can sign in San Jose before July 1st, and not risk not knowing what was out there.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Again, there is the negotiating period that opens up days before July 1st. If there isn't an offer that tickles his fancy, he can sign in San Jose before July 1st, and not risk not knowing what was out there.

Seems like a lot of folks aren't aware of this for whatever reason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad