Value of: Erik Karlsson at the draft.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Dingo

Jul 13, 2018
People with a narrative to defend conveniently overlook that EK was 3rd in the league for take-aways by a defenseman. That speaks to scenario #2 above perfectly. There may be no better defensemen in the league at successful zone exits. He is no world-beater on D and his effort at times can be called into question, but he is better defensively than many on this site are willing to admit. Those same people also seem to overlook he played with 11 different D partners this year, most of whom were either replacement or AHL-level in ability.
Thats a great post, nice article.

Ive always said that there are simply different styles of players and you build a team out by meshing those abilities. Karlsson with an Ohlund, Norstorm, Foote, etc etc etc is about as exciting a prospect as one could hope for. You dont want two Karlsson’s together, and you dont really want two stay at homes together, either. Sure, there have been the Bourque’s and Lidstrom’s who’ve done it all at a high level, but I’m not holding that against anyone who isn’t one of the handful of players like that.

It’s the same when people try to downplay Ovechkin. Yep, Crosby does a little more of everything, and so do a lot of high end centers, they are supposed to. But if I had Francis, Zetterberg and Fedorov on my team already, I want a huge winger who smashes the shit out of everything and shoots like a God. Doesnt mean he is better, just a different style, a style my team would want most, and also the best representative of that style.

Karlsson is the best of his style, and I’d say at least since Coffey. I don’t mind someone thinking Fox should win, i don’t mind it at all, but the ‘the position is DEFENCEman’ (as though that automatically eliminates all argument)comments are so so narrow minded, stupid, desperate even. I could draw the ‘must block shots, hit, rough people up and fight a bit’ card and pretend that Makar should never win a Norris, because it’s all where the beholder draws the line in regards to defensive qualities. And its fine to draw one in your head, but nobody should just dismiss what Karlsson did with such smugness while showing such lack of understanding of the requirements of the position and also showing that they didn’t watch Karlsson play, even once.

Reactions: Mattb124

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
ha. you outbid everyone to get him, he is ALL YOURS, you keep him, you PAY him for the next 4 more years 11.5 WOW per

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
What's the max that SJ would retain? Obviously the more of his AAV that they retain the higher the trade return would likely be.

Church Hill

I'd drink it
Nov 16, 2007
Karlsson is a player, rare among even the elite, that can take a team to the next level singlehandedly. Seems to me there are multiple underperforming Canadian teams that would love to make an offer for him at 50% retained. There hasn't been a lot of noise about him lately because of the playoffs, but I think the Sharks will be highly motivated to move him this offseason and I suspect we'll start hearing the rumors in the next few weeks.

Very, very curious to see what happens. There hasn't been a trade chip like this in a long time.

Reactions: Agent Zuuuub

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Tough to say. I think they should be willing to retain 50% to get the most out of a deal but Grier is probably maxing out around 3 mil.
Just for fun... If you were GM of the Sharks what would your ask be from the Oilers for Karlsson at 50%. The guys I think would be off the table from the Oilers would be McDavid, Draisaitl, Nuge (NMC and I don't think they would ask him to wavie), Nurse, Ekholm and probably Bouchard.

Church Hill

I'd drink it
Nov 16, 2007
Just for fun... If you were GM of the Sharks what would your ask be from the Oilers for Karlsson at 50%. The guys I think would be off the table from the Oilers would be McDavid, Draisaitl, Nuge (NMC and I don't think they would ask him to wavie), Nurse, Ekholm and probably Bouchard.

Is Nurse really off the table? Would have thought they'd be eager to get rid of him if an opportunity presented itself. From the Sharks perspective, Nurse would not add value to a trade offer.

At 50% retained, the Sharks would be asking for multiple top picks and a top young prospect, at least per Mike Grier's public comments. Privately, I suspect they'd happily take a 1st round pick and a decent prospect, and would even take back a short-term cap dump to make the numbers work.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Is Nurse really off the table? Would have thought they'd be eager to get rid of him if an opportunity presented itself. From the Sharks perspective, Nurse would not add value to a trade offer.

At 50% retained, the Sharks would be asking for multiple top picks and a top young prospect, at least per Mike Grier's public comments. Privately, I suspect they'd happily take a 1st round pick and a decent prospect, and would even take back a short-term cap dump to make the numbers work.
Nurse is criminally under rated. He has warts of course that are exaggerated because his mistakes are often so often memorable. But his actual results given his role are very much on the positive side. He's pretty much played the last 3 years with #4's. Pair him with Karlsson and I think he would shine. But that is really beside the point. He has a full NMC and has absolutely no reason to leave Edmonton to join a rebuilding team

Now if the price of Karlsson at 50% was really a single 1st round pick and a decent prospect, and they would even take back a short-term cap dump to make the numbers work that is a deal that I would expect the Oilers would make in a heart beat. But I'd be surprised that Grier would contemplate this right now. Frankly at 50% I would have no issue with the Oilers moving a guy like Broberg and 2 firsts with say Yamamoto and Ceci to make the cap work. But again, the discussion to this point has never been close to suggesting this would be acceptable.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
The Oilers do not have the pieces for EK at 50% retained.

• Haha
Reactions: Church Hill

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Sharks fans are notoriously delusional. There is the public perception of needing "huge value" for an asset like Karlsson, but this overlooks the simple reality that the organization would be better off losing him for nothing than keeping him on the roster for 4 more seasons. The team is in tank-and-draft mode, and Karlsson single-handedly lost them Bedard this season alone.

Getting rid of Karlsson is the absolute top priority in San Jose, in my estimation.

Just because the sharks would be better off without Karlsson for the purpose of the rebuild doesn’t mean they’d better off dumping him for nothing. That’s just shit asset management.

Also yes, the soon to be Norris trophy winner that just put up over 100pts will return some premium assets. The return will obviously depend on the retention and how tight EK is with his NMC. If the sharks actually were willing to retain 50%, it would yield a solid futures package. Don’t kid yourself.

Reactions: Gecklund

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I think I'd ask for Bourgault, Holloway, a cap dump like Yamamoto or Foegele, 2024 1st, and 2023 2nd but I'd probably settle for less depending on what else may be out there.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
What's the max that SJ would retain? Obviously the more of his AAV that they retain the higher the trade return would likely be.
The problem so much isn't the money but the fact that they're probably not keen on wasting their last retention spot on someone for the next 4 or 5 years. Team may be better off doing what Philly did and trying to find a third party to take some of the load off.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California

If it's at 50%, Bouchard better be on the table.

Reactions: Gecklund

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Not much. His contract still sucks and the cap is still pretty much flat.

• Haha
Reactions: Patty Ice

Bizz

Slacked for Mack
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Price hasn't changed.

3 1sts for the Sharks to even consider talking to you.

1%

ha. you outbid everyone to get him, he is ALL YOURS, you keep him, you PAY him for the next 4 more years 11.5 WOW per

Then so be it. The Sharks have a better chance of winning a Cup with Karlsson now than they will with a handful of first rounders that probably won't pan out 6 years from now.

• Haha
Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Price hasn't changed.

3 1sts for the Sharks to even consider talking to you.

1%

Then so be it. The Sharks have a better chance of winning a Cup with Karlsson now than they will with a handful of first rounders that probably won't pan out 6 years from now.
Then I guess there's no deal to be had.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
There was never a deal to be had to a team that already has 75% of their Cap tied up in 4 players.
How many teams that are in a win now mode can absorb his entire cap hit and pay a decent trade return as well?

Bizz

Slacked for Mack
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
How many teams that are in a win now mode can absorb his entire cap hit and pay a decent trade return as well?

No team needs to be in 'win now' mode to have room for EK65. It could be a team that wants to take the next step, or another team completely out of left field.

Bottom line is whoever is willing to give up the most gets him, not just the teams who are already "Elite". The NHL isn't the NBA where there's 2 or 3 superteams and the rest shouldn't even bother playing games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad