Value of: Erik Karlsson at the draft.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

binop7

Jul 4, 2011
Weird one. Phenomenal season but albatross contract. Maybe 1st+a prospect?

Grinner

May 31, 2022
*polishes his replica Blues Cup Ring* You don’t say.

It’s not some myth. He’s a good player with elite -offensive- upside but if he’s -that- dominant as some claim that he’s as elite a Dman as he is a scoring Dman, where’s his Cup?

Hell, the refs ALLOWED a hand-thrown goal and the Sharks still couldn’t beat us with him.

You can’t dominate if you still lose. That’s not what the word means. Vegas literally scored like mad with him on the ice in their first year.
You can't possibly be serious. You must be trolling.

Why don't we ask all teammates he's had with both Ottawa and San Jose "where's his cup"
Replica Blues cup ring?
Too funn

Reactions: CanadienShark

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
You can't possibly be serious. You must be trolling.

Why don't we ask all teammates he's had with both Ottawa and San Jose "where's his cup"
Replica Blues cup ring?
Too funn
That's ok since both of those franchises can't win a Cup. But the Blues did :)

But seriously, everyone here is speaking of him as if he's the messiah and he's never led a team to the Cup or even the Finals. For all the years he's played, he's made the Conference Finals twice and both times he's gotten or been injured?

That's a guy a team should take on an 11.5M x 4 contract and surrender prime assets or players for?

There are many players making that amount who don't get their teams that far in the playoffs, but their regular seasons are insane stat-wise*. You don't invest that kind of money unless you're aiming for the Cup. The Sharks didn't sign him to that amount so they could trade him for prime assets, they signed him to stay in SJ and now they want teams to take on the contract and hand over prime assets because the contract is a boat anchor and the Sharks can't do a proper rebuild partly because of it?

Who's trolling here?

* I'd be curious whose making 11m+ a year and taken their team to the Cup under that contract. Hell, Ovi's only making 9.5m,

Grinner

May 31, 2022
That's ok since both of those franchises can't win a Cup. But the Blues did :)

But seriously, everyone here is speaking of him as if he's the messiah and he's never led a team to the Cup or even the Finals. For all the years he's played, he's made the Conference Finals twice and both times he's gotten or been injured?

That's a guy a team should take on an 11.5M x 4 contract and surrender prime assets or players for?

There are many players making that amount who don't get their teams that far in the playoffs, but their regular seasons are insane stat-wise. You don't invest that kind of money unless you're aiming for the Cup. The Sharks didn't sign him to that amount so they could trade him for prime assets, they signed him to stay in SJ and now they want teams to take on the contract and hand over prime assets because the contract is a boat anchor and the Sharks can't do a proper rebuild partly because of it?

Who's trolling here?
Not I
Hopefully it won't take as long for those teams to finally win a cup as it did for the Blues.

Okay, now I'm trolling
Yes DW out bid himself with that contract

• Haha
Reactions: BlueSeal

Grinner

May 31, 2022
Erik Karlsson (0% or 10% retained)

for

Ben Chiarot
very good D prospect (not Edvinsson)
2024 DET 1ST (top 10 protected)

Is that crazy?
Yes. Who's the very good RD prospect in their stable as the Sharks are well stockeat LD, and why should the Sharks wait until 2024 for a 1st?

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
The Sharks would have already moved him given some of the rumored offers they got for him, which iirc came from the Oilers. Seems like the Sharks want far more with limited, if any, retention that any team is willing or feasibly can give up.

Otherwise he would have been gone at the TDL. If he’s the player everyone thinks he is, a franchise would have burned down the farm for him. His cost just seems very detrimental to a team that could use or want him.
Maybe, but Edmonton is undoubtedly going to be more desperate for someone like him now that they got pretty much nothing from their backend against Vegas.

*polishes his replica Blues Cup Ring* You don’t say.

It’s not some myth. He’s a good player with elite -offensive- upside but if he’s -that- dominant as some claim that he’s as elite a Dman as he is a scoring Dman, where’s his Cup?

Hell, the refs ALLOWED a hand-thrown goal and the Sharks still couldn’t beat us with him.

You can’t dominate if you still lose. That’s not what the word means. Vegas literally scored like mad with him on the ice in their first year.
I guess McDavid doesn’t dominate then nor is he elite by your qualifications.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
The Sharks would have already moved him given some of the rumored offers they got for him, which iirc came from the Oilers. Seems like the Sharks want far more with limited, if any, retention that any team is willing or feasibly can give up.

Otherwise he would have been gone at the TDL. If he’s the player everyone thinks he is, a franchise would have burned down the farm for him. His cost just seems very detrimental to a team that could use or want him.
It is a lot easier for teams to fit that big a cap hit in the offseason as compared to the TDL. We very well see a team in “win now” mode with expiring contracts coming off the books pay up for him.

Reactions: lanceuppercut75

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
It is a lot easier for teams to fit that big a cap hit in the offseason as compared to the TDL. We very well see a team in “win now” mode with expiring contracts coming off the books pay up for him.
If teams wouldn’t for Price, why would they for EK?

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
If teams wouldn’t for Price, why would they for EK?
GM’s evaluate players individually based on team need, cap structure, and where a given team is in its competitive cycle. Karlsson came off a historic year and it is rumored he was nearly traded to EDM before the TDL when it is more difficult to fit in a big contract.

With that said, it makes imminently more sense to believe that it more likely that he gets traded in the offseason when teams have more flexibility than he won’t get traded because there was another player (who doesn’t even play the same position) that didn’t get traded.

Reactions: lanceuppercut75

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
GM’s evaluate players individually based on team need, cap structure, and where a given team is in its competitive cycle. Karlsson came off a historic year and it is rumored he was nearly traded to EDM before the TDL when it is more difficult to fit in a big contract.

With that said, it makes imminently more sense to believe that it more likely that he gets traded in the offseason when teams have more flexibility than he won’t get traded because there was another player (who doesn’t even play the same position) that didn’t get traded.
The argument isn't on position, but on -value- of player skill-wise and contract-wise. The Habs have been handcuffed by Price's contract and the Sharks are in a similar situation with EK. To say there isn't a correlation is kind of silly.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
The argument isn't on position, but on -value- of player skill-wise and contract-wise. The Habs have been handcuffed by Price's contract and the Sharks are in a similar situation with EK. To say there isn't a correlation is kind of silly.
EK almost got traded at the deadline. Pretending that didn’t happen because Price didn’t get traded leaves silly in the dust.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Do the rules prohibit you from trading back a player during the same season, as you traded him away from your franchise?

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
About the dorkiest thing I've ever read on here

might as well have said *pushes glasses up and boasts living vicariously through my heroes*

As dorky as say, posting on a hockey forum? :). We're all fans, you got to go through the steps and admit it too :).

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
As dorky as say, posting on a hockey forum? :). We're all fans, you got to go through the steps and admit it too :).

naw that was something else.

there is being a fan and then there is bragging about a replica stanley cup ring to try and win an internet argument.

Reactions: Patty Ice

Gubbhornet

Dec 5, 2019
How about to Tampa? I mean, they can only go all in from here. They will hit a very deep rock bottom later on anyway.

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
How about to Tampa? I mean, they can only go all in from here. They will hit a very deep rock bottom later on anyway.

Bolts have no cap space and aren't going to utilize the UFA space they pick up on EK. The numbers just don't add up and they would need to send prime assets to SJ for him.

A better question would be what teams have the capspace and the picks/prospects to acquire him. Who would be able to do both and fit him into their roster without seriously disrupting it or closing their window?

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Karlsson doesn’t have much value given his age and performance on a bad team.

Gubbhornet

Dec 5, 2019
Bolts have no cap space and aren't going to utilize the UFA space they pick up on EK. The numbers just don't add up and they would need to send prime assets to SJ for him.

A better question would be what teams have the capspace and the picks/prospects to acquire him. Who would be able to do both and fit him into their roster without seriously disrupting it or closing their window?

It's a bit of a catch 22. Aquiring EK basically means that you are closing your window way faster. And if you have cap space you are not in an "all in now" situation. So I think it will need to be a complicated deal to a team that does not really have cap space. Old/aging core past prime or risks losing core to ufa.

Tampa, Pens, Oilers, etc.

Reactions: BlueSeal

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
As a Sens fan, I would be interested in bringing him back. The problem is the leadership in the room is apparently very tight and the only thing that works with our cap structure is if the deal is a three-way with Chabot involved. If we were to hypothetically go forward with this, is there a team out there looking for a good LD and is willing to part with a prime asset for Chabot?

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007
I'm not massively bothered what his value is. I'm sure Grier will do something to get him to a contender down the line, and I accept the hockey economics of that. I do think retaining as much as possible just makes most sense from a capped-league perspective.

What I do know for certain, having looked at this thread, is that there are a lot of stat-watchers/forum readers that haven't been watching Erik Karlsson this season. He would have enormous value to any franchise on the ice. If you're trying to win a cup, it's contrived to suggest otherwise.

Reactions: Slimmy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad