Traded Erik Brännström - D - Part III

Max McBolt

Dec 18, 2018
I see you also ignore the part of the graph that indicated he was effective in the minutes he played.
I did not ignore it.

The second picture I posted was meant to put emphasis on that part of the graph that indicated he was effective in the minutes he played.

Effective Sheltered Defenseman

He is thriving in that usage according to those metrics.

NB613

Jul 26, 2013
Ottawa
I think Kleven will provide something for us on the backend that we haven't had in a while, but at the same time, right now Brannstrom is by far the best candidate for our 3rd pairing. Not betting on Kleven stepping in and being able to replace him. Maybe mid next season but too many good dmen will be a good problem for us to have
Klevin and Branny as 3rd pairing would be perfect

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
With Chychrun, Chabot, and Sanderson - we don't need a dman that needs to be sheltered in the bottom pairing role.

Trading him for someone like Jeremy Lauzon would be ideal as he would pair well in a defensive role with Harmonic next year. That, or maybe Kleven will be ready.

He's just wasted talent in Ottawa that's all

He's sheltered because he hasn't gotten a lot of quality teammates. He mostly played with Holden and Zaitsev this year (a lot of Josh Brown before). When paired with a Zub for example, it allows him to play his game a bit more and to express himself but if played with Holden, he has to keep it simple and move the puck.

I don't think trading him for Lauzon would make the Sens a better team. He has a better frame but doesn't have Brannstrom talent and puck moving ability. I guess it depends what you need but if you pair Brannstrom with a Luke Schenn for example, you have a pretty good 3rd pairing and to beat the good teams you need a very solid overall lineup

Kleven should spend 1 year in the AHL, needs to learn the pro game

Eventually, when he gets more expensive and ready to take the next step then we'll see but if the big 3 is still there, then yes it might be time to move him. But for now, no rush as long as he's cheap

Reactions: scout20

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Are the Sens going to make room on their roster next yr for JBD? That's the question, if they are who is the obvious guy looking on the outside & JBD will be about the same price. We know the top 4 are set in Chabot, Zub, Sanderson & Chychrun & it's quite possible Hamonic could be re-signed & take another spot.

That leaves one spot for Brannstrom, JBD & Thomson to fight over not to mention if they sign someone else this summer. And then there is Kleven who may or may not be NHL ready & a left shot to challenge for that 3rd pairing LD spot. JBD will not be waiver exampt next yr so there is no sending him down without the possibility of losing him, maybe the same for Thomson. That could be a reason to send Kleven down because he is waiver exempt. Should be interesting.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Are the Sens going to make room on their roster next yr for JBD? That's the question, if they are who is the obvious guy looking on the outside & JBD will be about the same price. We know the top 4 are set in Chabot, Zub, Sanderson & Chychrun & it's quite possible Hamonic could be re-signed & take another spot.

That leaves one spot for Brannstrom, JBD & Thomson to fight over not to mention if they sign someone else this summer. And then there is Kleven who may or may not be NHL ready & a left shot to challenge for that 3rd pairing LD spot. JBD will not be waiver exampt next yr so there is no sending him down without the possibility of losing him, maybe the same for Thomson. That could be a reason to send Kleven down because he is waiver exempt. Should be interesting.

Brannstrom, if he continues his current improvement and solid play, won't have to "fight" with two AHLers for a spot next year.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Brannstrom, if he continues his current improvement and solid play, won't have to "fight" with two AHLers for a spot next year.

w640xh480_GettyImages-1194387352.jpg

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Did Brannstrom get to play with Chychrun yet? And if so how did he/they look?
They played together last night some and it was awful. Brannstrom is terrible on the right side as is Sanderson. Brannstrom is a good when he plays the left side.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
They played together last night some and it was awful. Brannstrom is terrible on the right side as is Sanderson. Brannstrom is a good when he plays the left side.

This was always the risk when bringing in Chychrun. Hopefully someone can figure it out.

I don't care who it is. Chabot, Sanderson or Chychrun . . . we need to get all 3 of them in the top 4.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
This was always the risk when bringing in Chychrun. Hopefully someone can figure it out.

I don't care who it is. Chabot, Sanderson or Chychrun . . . we need to get all 3 of them in the top 4.
Chychrun has looked good on the right

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I legit don’t want to read Branny hate after last night. The only d man doing “anything”.

It’s not something you can do in the middle of the season. It needs a camp. Get chychrun and Branny on the third pair let the pairing with the guy on his offside dominate bottom 6 lines.

Reactions: DrEasy

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Admittedly I only watched the first, but the majority of Chychrun and Brannstrom's time together was in the first, only about 30 secs combined the last two periods so I actually saw most of it, and frankly I don't think they were as bad as you are suggesting.

While Chychrun and Brannstrom were together last night at 5v5 Chicago had 1 shot attempt to Ottawa's 6, meanwhile Sanderson and Chychrun seem to have been leaking scoring chances while together. The whole team looked likey were out for a Sunday skate, but if I was targetting a pair to be critical of, Brannstrom and Chychrun were not it.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Admittedly I only watched the first, but the majority of Chychrun and Brannstrom's time together was in the first, only about 30 secs combined the last two periods so I actually saw most of it, and frankly I don't think they were as bad as you are suggesting.

While Chychrun and Brannstrom were together last night at 5v5 Chicago had 1 shot attempt to Ottawa's 6, meanwhile Sanderson and Chychrun seem to have been leaking scoring chances while together. The whole team looked likey were out for a Sunday skate, but if I was targetting a pair to be critical of, Brannstrom and Chychrun were not it.
I was responding to a specific question about Brannstrom, not singling out the pairing.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I was responding to a specific question about Brannstrom, not singling out the pairing.
And I'm saying they weren't awful together as you've described them, unless something really terrible happened in the thirty or so seconds they crossed paths in the final two periods. Chychrun and Sanderson on the other hand...

Reactions: DrEasy

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
And I'm saying they weren't awful together as you've described them, unless something really terrible happened in the thirty or so seconds they crossed paths in the final two periods. Chychrun and Sanderson on the other hand.
Difference of opinion I guess. I though Brannstrom was struggling on his offside. He has played quite well lately on his strong side and I personally found quite the drop off in form.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011

I watched every minute of last night's debacle and I agree 100%.

Reactions: NB613 and DrEasy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad