Traded Erik Brännström - D - Part III

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
I must be blind cause I still don’t see it with Brann. He’s okay, take him off the roster and I don’t miss him personally.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
One thing I have to give Brannstrom a lot of credit for is he often takes massive hits in the corner, and gets put completely on his ass because of his size, but then he pops right back up without hesitation. I have no idea how such a little guy can take so much abuse and not be hurting physically, but he just shrugs it off like it never happened.

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
One thing I have to give Brannstrom a lot of credit for is he often takes massive hits in the corner, and gets put completely on his ass because of his size, but then he pops right back up without hesitation. I have no idea how such a little guy can take so much abuse and not be hurting physically, but he just shrugs it off like it never happened.

got a pain kink

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Lots of people even strength production have been bad. He’s looked decent. Playing in a way where points usually come. They haven’t. I bet they will. We will see.
Ok well it's his job to score. He is easy to play against and an undersized d man. If he isn't producing then he is a liability. Anyway I personally don't see him as a long term solution here with Sanderson and Chabot on the left but maybe/hopefully I am wrong.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Gord Wilson just finished crapping all over Branny (in his way) on the Team just now. It's almost personal with him and Dean...Branny can just not do anything worthwhile to them at all.

Dean and Gord are a couple of adult babies who have been around the team for far too long and now feel entitled.

I have deciphered from listening to Gord on pre-game shows where he mentions how some players "are a joy to be around" or that "we had a nice talk in the elevator" or sometimes "chatted briefly with ( player) before getting on the bus and had a good laugh".

This leads me to believe that Brannstrom does not give Gord/Dean the time of day when they are around or something happened between them over the years where they now hold a grudge against him and they let him have it over the broadcast with regards to his on ice play.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Dean and Gord are a couple of adult babies who have been around the team for far too long and now feel entitled.

I have deciphered from listening to Gord on pre-game shows where he mentions how some players "are a joy to be around" or that "we had a nice talk in the elevator" or sometimes "chatted briefly with ( player) before getting on the bus and had a good laugh".

This leads me to believe that Brannstrom does not give Gord/Dean the time of day when they are around or something happened between them over the years where they now hold a grudge against him and they let him have it over the broadcast with regards to his on ice play.
Or they are right. They have been around hockey all their lives & talk to more experts than we ever will & they know a lot about the game. IMO Brannstrom is & has been a liability defensively for this team but we don't have anyone better right now to swap him out. It will be interesting what they do with him over the summer & that should give us more of an idea of what they have. PD brought him in, PD seems to think he is going to be a very good defenceman & PD will be the one who will decide whether he stays or not & DJ will have to decide to play him or not when everyone is healthy. He could be in Mete's position next yr & be in & out of the lineup. We'll see.

Reactions: Golden_Jet

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Branny is starting to get some pucks on net … it will come.

Foolish to trade him this offseason before Sanderson shows he can stay healthy or Lassi shows he can run PP2. One early injury to Chabot and our PP and season is derailed.

Last edited:

KnockHobbler

Sep 13, 2018

Dean and Gerrioch especially are the epitomes of unprofessionalism. Idk who Gordo is, is he the guy with glasses and the generic everything?

The team needs better media

Reactions: NB613

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Dean and Gerrioch especially are the epitomes of unprofessionalism. Idk who Gordo is, is he the guy with glasses and the generic everything?

The team needs better media

Correct, he is Dean Brown's radio bestie and colour guy. Has also called every single Senators game since their inception and has a superiority complex when it comes to the team.

Reactions: NB613

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Branny is playing well. Its coming a bit slower than we would have hoped for but at this point I keep Barnstorm vs taking Stone's next 5 years at $9.5 million.

I assume this will be the general consensus by 2023-24.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
Don't think Branny gets traded

The team needs him

still blows my mind that many on here do not see the value Brann brings to our team specifically.

Like did they not see how bad the movement and creativity is without him? how we have no stable 2nd pair if we split Brann-Zub? How Brann seamlessly steps in for one of the best d in the league and the team doesn't skip a beat? How he is only 22 and clearly still figuring out the league but still productive and a net positive?

People pointing to his point totals as proof he is struggling is ignorant and stat watching. He's clearly outplaying his point totals.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
still blows my mind that many on here do not see the value Brann brings to our team specifically.

Like did they not see how bad the movement and creativity is without him? how we have no stable 2nd pair if we split Brann-Zub? How Brann seamlessly steps in for one of the best d in the league and the team doesn't skip a beat? How he is only 22 and clearly still figuring out the league but still productive and a net positive?

People pointing to his point totals as proof he is struggling is ignorant and stat watching. He's clearly outplaying his point totals.

Yea... let's say that's pushing it hard. We had a similar stretch at the end of last season with Mete and Brannstrom playing amazing but then both of them started off the year horrible. I think there was a lot of optimism around Brannstrom to start the season but he couldn't grab a spot and own it. It was very dissapointing to say the least...

I think most people are open to "letting Brannstrom go" because he will be a 3rd pairing guy for us when Sanderson comes over. Then you have a choice... Holden who's been providing stable defensive play or Brannstrom who's providing good transition play. Brannstrom is still having trouble in the Dzone and his size will always be an issue. He has good and bad games but has been much better lately ... we've also played bad teams. He's a decent player for us and provides good value for the amount of money he makes but with Sanderson coming he's in no way a guy that can't be replaced or that we absolutely need to keep.

Brannstrom will always be a polarizing player. I would keep him just because his value around the league is minimal and he has more value in Ottawa but ultimately I don't see a future for him here.

Even if a guy like Thomson earns a spot in training camp next season I would rather see Holden paired with him than Brannstrom. Lots of moving parts on this defense. I agree we should keep him but he's in no way a guy that's not replaceable. For this season we had no puck movers, that will thankfully change. We have one of the worst D in the NHL and that's with Chabot so.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
Yea... let's say that's pushing it hard. We had a similar stretch at the end of last season with Mete and Brannstrom playing amazing but then both of them started off the year horrible. I think there was a lot of optimism around Brannstrom to start the season but he couldn't grab a spot and own it. It was very dissapointing to say the least...

I think most people are open to "letting Brannstrom go" because he will be a 3rd pairing guy for us when Sanderson comes over. Then you have a choice... Holden who's been providing stable defensive play or Brannstrom who's providing good transition play. Brannstrom is still having trouble in the Dzone and his size will always be an issue. He has good and bad games but has been much better lately ... we've also played bad teams. He's a decent player for us and provides good value for the amount of money he makes but with Sanderson coming he's in no way a guy that can't be replaced or that we absolutely need to keep.

Brannstrom will always be a polarizing player. I would keep him just because his value around the league is minimal and he has more value in Ottawa but ultimately I don't see a future for him here.

Even if a guy like Thomson earns a spot in training camp next season I would rather see Holden paired with him than Brannstrom. Lots of moving parts on this defense. I agree we should keep him but he's in no way a guy that's not replaceable. For this season we had no puck movers, that will thankfully change. We have one of the worst D in the NHL and that's with Chabot so.

that had nothing to do with Brann and everything to do with Dorion and DJ bungling roster decisions resulting in us being eliminated early.

ever since Brann has been up the team has looked better. ever since Brann and Zub have been paired the team has looked better. same as last year.

What exactly is the problem of rotating Sanderson and Brann based on who is playing better? what exactly is the problem of having a skilled 3rd pair that can push the pace of the game?

Wild to me that Ottawa Senators fans think defensive depth is a bad thing. It's like we've been without it for so long that some no longer value it.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Branny is playing well. Its coming a bit slower than we would have hoped for but at this point I keep Barnstorm vs taking Stone's next 5 years at $9.5 million.

I assume this will be the general consensus by 2023-24.
LOL. I bet if I asked you what 1+1 equals you'd reply "people wanna complain about cold water in the bathrooms".

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
By the half way point next season i want to see a top 4 of:

Chabot - Bran
Sanderson- Zub

I still think Chabot needs someone reliable so that he is free to push the play and jump up when required.

I'm not sure Brannstrom is that guy.

Ideally he'd be locking down that third pairing with 2nd PP QB duties.

I know some think he'd be better on the 1st but it's hard to put Chabot on the 2nd with his stature and role on the team.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
LOL. I bet if I asked you what 1+1 equals you'd reply "people wanna complain about cold water in the bathrooms".
No idea what you are talking about. I think your in the wrong thread.

I like Brannstrom and I think I'd prefer him at ELC money now vs 5 years of Stone at $9.5.

Stone still has game but its slowing and his $9.5 would be hard to fit in our cap structure starting in 2023. I think we've seen the first crack in the trade evaluation. It's been used again Dorion for 3 years but we are already seeing negative value in Stone's $9.5

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
that had nothing to do with Brann and everything to do with Dorion and DJ bungling roster decisions resulting in us being eliminated early.

ever since Brann has been up the team has looked better. ever since Brann and Zub have been paired the team has looked better. same as last year.

What exactly is the problem of rotating Sanderson and Brann based on who is playing better? what exactly is the problem of having a skilled 3rd pair that can push the pace of the game?

Wild to me that Ottawa Senators fans think defensive depth is a bad thing. It's like we've been without it for so long that some no longer value it.

I mean I just literally said that we should keep him... lol relax dude. There's nothing wrong with keeping him but you said it, he's depth. He's a depth player on this team going forward. That's totaly fine, but to me it really seems like he has no future here. Long term I don't see Erik Brannstrom in a Senators jersey. Totally fine with keeping him. I think he's a fine player but I'm not in the group of he can replace Chabot and team doesn't skip a beat that's for sure.

I also don't agree that he was great all year andit was just a result of Smith. He's had ups and downs which is normal for a player his age, just being honest about it.

Last edited:

HSF

Sep 3, 2008

uh? Brannstrom wasn't on the NHL team cause he didnt have to go through waivers to move down and they had their new shiny toy in MDZ to play. This was confirmed by Mann saying its a numbers game sometimes.

Brannstrom played excellent to end last year and again this year he is playing really well.

Branny won't always be a polarizing player as he is now settling in and cementing his spot on the roster. at least in my opinion its clear the best left side D going into next season are Chabot, Branny , Sanderson and Holden

I would be very surprised if MDZ is on the NHL roster

Reactions: NB613 and Bileur

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018

I will preface this by saying that I would not trade Brannstrom unless it was in a deal where he is valued as a legitimate high end asset (i.e. value of a late-1st or better) and we return a legit impact top 9 F/top 4 D.

Brannstrom has had some really good play - some stretches where he has been instrumental in our ability to break-out, transition, move the puck around the o-zone, and he has had some stretches where he has defended quite well. I'd say we are definitely in one of those stretches right now.

That said, he has also had stretches where he hasn't accomplished much - sloppy with and without the puck in his own zone, undisciplined, and overmatched. His discipline has gotten much, much better but it can still be a real issue. His man-on-man D and zone D have both improved, but can both be real issues.

His play on the PP has been ok, but not great. Personally, I thought he had the ability to outplay Chabot on the PP and he hasn't done that at all, imo. It's a very high bar, but it's the only area where he can hope to compete with Chabot. ES, PK, shutdown, creating ES offence, etc... Chabot has him beat handily. So if we are looking at Chabot's 27min pool of minutes, I don't see Brannstrom taking many (if any) of them and performing as well as Chabot could.

Next year, Sanderson will join. We will also have Holden on the left side. Can Brannstrom outplay either on the PK? Probably not. At ES? Maybe. There are certainly situations where I would rather have Brannstrom out there than Holden (and vice versa). Sanderson is a wildcard, but I could certainly see him being closer to Chabot than Brannstrom within a year of his NHL arrival.

If Brannstrom want's to carve out an important role here, he will need to be much better on the PP and, most importantly, will need to play every shift, hard, consistently, and responsibly. If he can't do that, there are guys who will be able to bring more from the bottom pair. Zaitsev: 14 + 0 + 3

There's the problem - we have a clear "top 4" of Chabot, Sanderson, Zub and Hamonic, with two spots remaining. Chabot and Sanderson should be more than capable of covering the PP time... Zub and Hamonic can take some PK time, but you don't want to deploy them as your main unit because then you tire them out and have to play mix and match in your top 4. Zaitsev, for all his warts, has been decent on the PK (39th in GA/60 amongst D with 150+ mins; Zub is 11th, Holden is 47th, out of 70 guys). Interestingly, Brannstrom is 7th best in the league - out of 194 - when you lower the threshold to 25+ mins, but it's very hard to say that can be extrapolated... there are lots of guys around him on that list who you probably wouldn't want out there on the PK. Can Brannstrom develop into a legitimate average or better PKer? Will DJ give him that opportunity? Between those two questions, I would say the response is "likely not".

Should Brannstrom be run out? Hell no. We would need to both a) add a good player on the backend and b) have no injuries in order for him to be superfluous/not be able to make us a better team. Will that still be the case a year from now? I'm not so sure. But I am certainly willing to wait and see unless a team values him as a legitimate young NHL DMan in a trade that addresses a need for us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad