Traded Erik Brännström - D - Part III

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
i dont understand how people have seen 3 seasons of brann and 10 games of thompson and ready to play thopmson over branny

I don’t see what Brann has shown in 3 seasons that suggests we shouldn’t want to see more of Thomson honestly. End of the day I’d rather give the minutes to the guy that’s going to be here long-term, and I think that has a much better chance of being Lassi.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
No .. I don’t assume you can. Just move on if you can’t talk hockey.
You think someone telling you your opinion about the lineup doesn't matter is "nasty"? That's hilarious. Also, is that what you call "talking about hockey"? Making wild comparisons and cherry-picking narrow points to generalize entire conversations? Looks like you're the one who needs to move on. It's pretty clear from the fact that nearly every post you make gets 20 negative reactions that what you're saying is not resonating.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
You think someone telling you your opinion about the lineup doesn't matter is "nasty"? That's hilarious. Also, is that what you call "talking about hockey"? Making wild comparisons and cherry-picking narrow points to generalize entire conversations? Looks like you're the one who needs to move on. It's pretty clear from the fact that nearly every post you make gets 20 negative reactions that what you're saying is not resonating.

Happy to take your advice …

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I think being confused is more your thing. Beyond the hilarity of comparing a guy on an ELC to a guy who secured an extension for his UFA years, you're also comparing a defenseman to a winger and, even worse, comparing an undersized depth defenseman to a 5x Selke-nominated winger who's been PPG for 6 years straight. But you do you with your ridiculous neither-here-nor-there apples-to-oranges takes. It's clearly your specialty.
Stone has been > ppg twice in his career. He's also only been a Seller nominee twice. He's coming off a significant back injury that's caused him to miss considerable time. I don't think I'd want what's left on his deal which is 5 years at 9.5.

Reactions: BoardsofCanada

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Stone has been > ppg twice in his career. He's also only been a Seller nominee twice. He's coming off a significant back injury that's caused him to miss considerable time. I don't think I'd want what's left on his deal which is 5 years at 9.5.

Would you trade Branny and Sokolov back for Stone and his 5x $9.5 w/ NMC?

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Definitely misread his stats.
2017-18 58GP 62P
2018-19 77GP 73P (Selke-2)
2019-20 65GP 63P (Selke-5)
2020-21 55GP 61P (Selke-3)
I'll re-phrase my statement so it's more accurate: 255GP 259P over 4 seasons, 2x Selke nominations + a top 5 Selke finish. And someone is comparing that to a depth defenseman, like you can even compare the two, while making misleading statements about an RFA's contract vs. that of someone who is in their UFA years. It's as dishonest as you can make an argument and it always comes from the same person time and time again. Cherry picked stats with no context and apples-to-oranges comparisons that make zero sense.

Reactions: Duncstar

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Would you trade Branny and Sokolov back for Stone and his 5x $9.5 w/ NMC?
Nah most attractive years of stones contract are the early years and Stone is going to be 30 in 2 weeks. Not saying he is going to bad by any means. but not worth 9.5X5

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Nah most attractive years of stones contract are the early years and Stone is going to be 30 in 2 weeks. Not saying he is going to bad by any means. but not worth 9.5X5

I agree - I wouldn’t either. Same way Reason why I wouldn’t trade Demelo back for EK 2 years after the trade. Too much negative value on the books going forward.

Stone will have continued success but his cap hit (and $11 million salary) would make it challenging to sign Stutzle, Sanderson etc.

Some may … that’s why I suggested we are starting to see the point that justifies the trade. By 2023 I bet no one takes 4x $9.5 on Stone with Stutzle recently signed and Sanderson coming up next.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I agree - I wouldn’t either. Same way Reason why I wouldn’t trade Demelo back for EK 2 years after the trade. Too much negative value on the books going forward.

Stone will have continued success but his cap hit (and $11 million salary) would make it challenging to sign Stutzle, Sanderson etc.

Some may … that’s why I suggested we are starting to see the point that justifies the trade. By 2023 I bet no one takes 4x $9.5 on Stone with Stutzle recently signed and Sanderson coming up next.
That's a bit of a one sided view, meaning not having 4*9.5. the other side of the view is how Brannstrom progresses. Some guys think he'll struggle to be in our lineup next year and that there's no place for him, other guys think he's cementing a solid role on the team.

Generically speaking, would a GM trade for a guy on the wrong side of 30 that's underperforming with 4 years and a 9.5 AAV and give up a 23 year old D that's playing 20 minutes a night? No. But that might be the situation next year.

Stone has had an off year. He's had injury trouble. Before his obit is written let's see whether he has a bounce back year next year.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
That's a bit of a one sided view, meaning not having 4*9.5. the other side of the view is how Brannstrom progresses. Some guys think he'll struggle to be in our lineup next year and that there's no place for him, other guys think he's cementing a solid role on the team.

Generically speaking, would a GM trade for a guy on the wrong side of 30 that's underperforming with 4 years and a 9.5 AAV and give up a 23 year old D that's playing 20 minutes a night? No. But that might be the situation next year.

Stone has had an off year. He's had injury trouble. Before his obit is written let's see whether he has a bounce back year next year.

Sure … not meant to be taken very seriously … but it does support why we didn’t need to over react about when Stone chose to leave.

The timelines didn’t lineup and Stones best years would have been wasted here. Than his worst years would interfere with us extending are younger players.

Branny could be better but I think he will be fine.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Sure … not meant to be taken very seriously … but it does support why we didn’t need to over react about when Stone chose to leave.

The timelines didn’t lineup and Stones best years would have been wasted here. Than his worst years would interfere with us extending are younger players.

Branny could be better but I think he will be fine.
Mark Stone is a good hockey player. But I never viewed him being at the same level as others here. That's fine, we all have opinions. One of the things I didn't like about Stone was that he was injured frequently and was slow to get up to speed when he returned. He's got 1 point in 5 games in his return in Vegas and I'm guessing but I suspect they were looking for more than that from him.

Let's see if he bounces back next year.

yogibear

Mar 21, 2007
Ottawa/Gatineau
I didn’t notice Brannstrom too much so that’s a good thing defensively.
However, Brannstrom has not lived up offensively to my expectations. Zéro goals, 14 assists in 51 games.

With the next bluechip in town, you would have to think that his ice time on the left side will diminished next season. Chabot and Sanderson may end up eating 50 minutes on a regular basis in a very near future.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I didn’t notice Brannstrom too much so that’s a good thing defensively.
However, Brannstrom has not lived up offensively to my expectations. Zéro goals, 14 assists in 51 games.

With the next bluechip in town, you would have to think that his ice time on the left side will diminished next season. Chabot and Sanderson may end up eating 50 minutes on a regular basis in a very near future.
defensemen take time to develop. The same could happen to Sanderson.

Reactions: NB613

yogibear

Mar 21, 2007
Ottawa/Gatineau
defensemen take time to develop. The same could happen to Sanderson.
Totally agree. Some are quicker than others. Sanderson hockey’s IQ is very impressive. Just don’t pair him with Zaitzev …

Back to Brannstrom, his stock value must be on the rise. I would be on board for a trade that could help the team.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Totally agree. Some are quicker than others. Sanderson hockey’s IQ is very impressive. Just don’t pair him with Zaitzev …

Back to Brannstrom, his stock value must be on the rise. I would be on board for a trade that could help the team.
Sens should keep him and let him develop so we can finally have a good defense

Brannstrom is developing nicely

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009

If LV retained 20% to open cap space and rebuild, I'd probably give a low end "picks and prospects" package for an post-peaked 1RW along the lines of
- 2023 1st round pick (Top 10 protected x 2 years)
- Jarventie/Greig
- (something with White if LV is interested e.g. White 50% retained)

for Stone at 7.6 M x 5 years at 30 years old (probably expect 3 good years out of him)

That's a pretty decent haul if they're looking to move on from this current tire fire, but I doubt they are considering they just acquired Eichel.

Signed 25 year old Eichel trade:
Peyton Krebs (key piece; promising D+3 mid 1st rd pick; projected top line talent who dropped in draft due to big injury)
Alex Tuch (underperfoming D+8 mid 1st rd pick a la Colin White mold)
2022 1st-round pick (top 10 protected)
2023 2nd-round pick

In comparison, we traded a UFA Stone for lesser value considering he was in his prime for a package of:
Brannstrom >= Jarventie/Greig value
2nd round pick (expected late) < 1st round pick (expected mid)
Lindberg = nothing

We have lots of LW prospect depth as losing one of Greig/Jarventie still leaves us with the other, Sokolov, Lodin, Ostapchuk.

Tkachuk (8.2) - Norris (7.5) - Stone (7.6)
Joseph (2.5) - Stutzle (1) - Batherson (5)
Formenton (2) - Pinto (1) - Brown/White (4.75) <- if we can't offload White and lose out on resigning Brown
Kelly/Lodin/Sokolov (1) - Gambrell/Gaudette/Kastelic (1) - Watson (1.5)

Especially if we have Sanderson slotting into a 2LD slot right away, keeping Brannstrom is a nice contingency plan if Sanderson proves to have a rookie learning curve and we can have a 2LDa and 2LDb, where Brannstrom might actually thrive under less pressure with less of a microscope on him with the new shiny toy having out of this world expectations placed on him.

And like has been said above, D take time and Brannstrom may just put it all together next year. If not, you move on and find another 3LD.

Last edited:

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

If he can push his way onto the 3rd pair ahead of Holden next year that would be great for the team.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
If he can push his way onto the 3rd pair ahead of Holden next year that would be great for the team.
I honestly think playing him with Holden is the best case scenario. Kills two birds with one stone, we get Brannstrom playing, and Zaitsev pushed out.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I don’t see what Brann has shown in 3 seasons that suggests we shouldn’t want to see more of Thomson honestly. End of the day I’d rather give the minutes to the guy that’s going to be here long-term, and I think that has a much better chance of being Lassi.

Brannstrom is 22 and still improving. Stop talking about him as if he was a 27 year-old who's already hit his ceiling. (That goes for half the posts in this thread)

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
If LV retained 20% to open cap space and rebuild, I'd probably give a low end "picks and prospects" package for an post-peaked 1RW along the lines of
- 2023 1st round pick (Top 10 protected x 2 years)
- Jarventie/Greig
- (something with White if LV is interested e.g. White 50% retained)

for Stone at 7.6 M x 5 years at 30 years old (probably expect 3 good years out of him)

That's a pretty decent haul if they're looking to move on from this current tire fire, but I doubt they are considering they just acquired Eichel.

Signed 25 year old Eichel trade:
Peyton Krebs (key piece; promising D+3 mid 1st rd pick; projected top line talent who dropped in draft due to big injury)
Alex Tuch (underperfoming D+8 mid 1st rd pick a la Colin White mold)
2022 1st-round pick (top 10 protected)
2023 2nd-round pick

In comparison, we traded a UFA Stone for lesser value considering he was in his prime for a package of:
Brannstrom >= Jarventie/Greig value
2nd round pick (expected late) < 1st round pick (expected mid)
Lindberg = nothing

We have lots of LW prospect depth as losing one of Greig/Jarventie still leaves us with the other, Sokolov, Lodin, Ostapchuk.

Tkachuk (8.2) - Norris (7.5) - Stone (7.6)
Joseph (2.5) - Stutzle (1) - Batherson (5)
Formenton (2) - Pinto (1) - Brown/White (4.75) <- if we can't offload White and lose out on resigning Brown
Kelly/Lodin/Sokolov (1) - Gambrell/Gaudette/Kastelic (1) - Watson (1.5)

Especially if we have Sanderson slotting into a 2LD slot right away, keeping Brannstrom is a nice contingency plan if Sanderson proves to have a rookie learning curve and we can have a 2LDa and 2LDb, where Brannstrom might actually thrive under less pressure with less of a microscope on him with the new shiny toy having out of this world expectations placed on him.

And like has been said above, D take time and Brannstrom may just put it all together next year. If not, you move on and find another 3LD.

Try the 2023 version of this lineup when Stutzle and Pinto are up with Sanderson coming next.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad