Traded Erik Brännström - D - Part III

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Is anybody disputing Zub is very good and is easy to play with?

Not sure Zub will be with Chabot. If Sanderson looks like a 2nd pair player he may get Zub as a partner to help support him.

Need to spread out the depth when you don't have a ton of it. Hamonic will help if he can partner with Chabot.
I think Zub goes with Chabby because I’m partnering Hamonic with Sanderson. As I think Sanderson needs a partner who can speak English with on the ice, at least in his first pro season.

Reactions: aragorn

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I think Zub goes with Chabby because I’m partnering Hamonic with Sanderson. As I think Sanderson needs a partner who can speak English with on the ice, at least in his first pro season.
Zub's been here for 18 months. Surely he's learned a little English along the way

• Haha
Reactions: playasRus

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Zub's been here for 18 months. Surely he's learned a little English along the way
Agreed, A little for sure and certainly some key words/phrases as the relate to hockey, I wouldn't worry about language barriers even if he's still speaking a broken English.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Yes very little , according to teammates, on the bench he can’t be discussing last play, if this happens you go there etc.
So for next year Hamonic with Zub.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Lol, Sanderson doesn't need an English speaker. He needs a good ass hockey player. It didn't affect Brannstrom, it won't affect one of the best IQ defending prospects.

Chabot-Hamonic
Sanderson-Zub
Brannstrom-Holden

Just looks right. I know Holden hasn't played RD a lot, but he can, and at bottom pairing, he'll be able to make it happen. Or Brann.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yes very little , according to teammates, on the bench he can’t be discussing last play, if this happens you go there etc.
So for next year Hamonic with Zub.
Has any player we've paired with Zub struggled? Really not seeing the concern here, the coaching staff are the ones that will primarily work with Sanderson not his partner. So long as he can communicate on ice, which is typically not going to be complex stuff, he'll be fine.

I said it earlier, DJ wants to try Hamonic with Chabot, if he does, that means Sanderson is with Zub or Zaitsev, or I guess maybe Holden on his off side. I know which I'd prefer

Reactions: DrEasy

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Branny isn’t going anywhere… or he at least he isn’t going to be dumped or used as some sweetener to move our garbage contacts.

the aging Holden is signed to be a 6-8 DMAN, Hamonic and Zub are UFA’s next season. Z can’t play and everyone else other than Chabot is a rookie.

We only have two NHL dman under team control for 2023-24.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Branny isn’t going anywhere… or he at least he isn’t going to be dumped or used as some sweetener to move our garbage contacts.

the aging Holden is signed to be a 6-8 DMAN, Hamonic and Zub are UFA’s next season. Z can’t play and everyone else other than Chabot is a rookie.

We only have two NHL dman under team control for 2023-24.
Disagree, I absolutely think Branny goes in a trade package.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
Lol, Sanderson doesn't need an English speaker. He needs a good ass hockey player. It didn't affect Brannstrom, it won't affect one of the best IQ defending prospects.

Chabot-Hamonic
Sanderson-Zub
Brannstrom-Holden

Just looks right. I know Holden hasn't played RD a lot, but he can, and at bottom pairing, he'll be able to make it happen. Or Brann.

Word. Hockey language is universal.

Zub is the ideal d-man to pair young offensive d-men with. Calm, smart, steady.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
Disagree, I absolutely think Branny goes in a trade package.
I think one of Brannstrom or JBD is traded this summer, simply because I think neither is in the teams long term plan, and they both start to diminish in value.

I like Brannstrom, so I’ll be disappointed if he’s moved.... but as is true with almost every player, it all depends on what they get back.

Reactions: NB613

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
this kleven hype is a lil bizarre, even the Thomson and JBD hype relative to Brann is off.

When Brannstrom was their age he was performing better at higher levels. and right now he is playing borderline top pair minutes in the nhl and is a +. how is that nothing?

Kleven had a nice season but it wasn't standout. At the AHL level he will probably be even less standout. And at the NHL level where even the worst talent would be NCAA star players likely means Kleven gets picked apart in a top 4 role.
Thomson has had a good 21 y/o season and compares well to Brannstrom’s 21 y/o season.

JBD is a different player, he is a defender who won’t be providing much offence but won’t be nearly as bad as the other 2 at preventing goals.

Reactions: aragorn

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Thomson has had a good 21 y/o season and compares well to Brannstrom’s 21 y/o season.

JBD is a different player, he is a defender who won’t be providing much offence but won’t be nearly as bad as the other 2 at preventing goals.
Thomson and JBD are why I think the team won't do anything to bring in a D. I'm more convinced of that if Donovan told you he thinks JBD is a guaranteed top 4

We got 2 more years of Zaitsev, 1 more year of Hamonic. 1 more year of del Zotto. 1 more year of Holden.

Then you've got
Chabot
Sanderson
Zub
Thomson
Brannstrom
Jbd

Plus what ever Kevin turns out to be. Dorion has already referenced being careful to not block players.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Thomson and JBD are why I think the team won't do anything to bring in a D. I'm more convinced of that if Donovan told you he thinks JBD is a guaranteed top 4

We got 2 more years of Zaitsev, 1 more year of Hamonic. 1 more year of del Zotto. 1 more year of Holden.

Then you've got
Chabot
Sanderson
Zub
Thomson
Brannstrom
Jbd

Plus what ever Kevin turns out to be. Dorion has already referenced being careful to not block players.
In in the interest of clarity, the JBD comment was made while he was at UND but I’m sure it still applies. Thomson has been a bit of a relevation since coming to NA, I know the development guys had concerns after his D+1 season in Finland. Mann and company have done nice work with him in Belleville.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Brannstrom just need a better forward speed. That's it, that's all. Just do it. Hire a power skating coach. It is not really difficult!
They have a power skating coach, his name is ... wait for it .... Marc Power.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think one of Brannstrom or JBD is traded this summer, simply because I think neither is in the teams long term plan, and they both start to diminish in value.

I like Brannstrom, so I’ll be disappointed if he’s moved.... but as is true with almost every player, it all depends on what they get back.
I think it will be Brannstrom who could get moved & maybe Thomson, should be an interesting off season. IMO Hamonic has looked really good & has added some stability on defence & plays with an edge. I don't think he is good enough to play with Chabot though, but I'm sure they will try him to see. Of the six D on the bottom line two should be able to play & Holden could be one of them. Of the four UFAs on D next yr, I expect Zub to be re-signed & maybe Hamonic get extended.

Chabot - Zub
Sanderson - Hamonic
Holden/Zaitsev/MDZ/Brannstrom/JBD/Thomson

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I think it will be Brannstrom who could get moved & maybe Thomson, should be an interesting off season. IMO Hamonic has looked really good & has added some stability on defence & plays with an edge. I don't think he is good enough to play with Chabot though, but I'm sure they will try him to see. Of the six D on the bottom line two should be able to play & Holden could be one of them. Of the four UFAs on D next yr, I expect Zub to be re-signed & maybe Hamonic get extended.

Chabot - Zub
Sanderson - Hamonic
Holden/Zaitsev/MDZ/Brannstrom/JBD/Thomson
Who plays against top lines in that setup?

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Honestly I hope we keep Brann, Thomson and JBD at this point. Thomson and JBD have been developing enough that we'll have NHL ready guys that can slot in at the 3rd pairing and start showing us flashes of more if they have that. We've been trading and signing players to fill the roles that these guys can step in.

I hope we move Zaitsev and keep Brannstrom. He's better in every aspect of the sport than Zaitsev and will be cheaper. I also hope DJ quits being stubborn and is willing to play Brannstrom on his offside. He's 22 and is playing decent considering what he's being asked to do.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Who plays against top lines in that setup?
Probably the two veterans Holden & Zaitsev which most will hate but that is who he is putting out now against the other team's best lines. At some point in future it could be Sanderson & Hamonic/JBD, but that's likely a yr or two away.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Hopefully he has a monster summer and works on his skating.... Only way I can see him carve a role in Ottawa. If he's the same as this year then he'll get traded I'm pretty sure and I doubt DJ will even use him.

I'm hopeful Thomson comes in after a great summer and steals a roster spot and we see Holden - Thomson on the 3rd pair. Think they would make an excellent 3rd pair if Thomson keeps doing what he's doing.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
So last year and this year combined has been pretty much Brann's first full year in the NHL.

He has 78 games with 26 points. HIs PDO this year is very low but he got a little puck luck last year so maybe he is more of a 28-30 point guy in 78 game balancing everything out. As basically a rookie.

Nobody outside of Chabot produces more on this team (Zub is pretty much on par). The last few games he has looked way more engaged in his own end and confident at taking the right side of board battles and coming away with the puck. He's figured out every league he's played in and I think he's figuring out the NHL; he won't dominate this league like he did others but he's figuring out how to be effective. All positive signs.

But there are things that need to be addressed. And it's not the usual "he's small and not that fast" stuff we usually hear. He seems to space out from time to time. And it results in open players. He seems too cautious in all zones these days. I think this also leads to poor gap control. I think coaching can help but he needs to react more quickly at times. I have faith that he will because he's already massively improved in that area on dump ins.

A work in progress but we have one, maybe two, players in the org who can move the puck out of our zone and through the neutral zone like him

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
So last year and this year combined has been pretty much Brann's first full year in the NHL.

He has 78 games with 26 points. HIs PDO this year is very low but he got a little puck luck last year so maybe he is more of a 28-30 point guy in 78 game balancing everything out. As basically a rookie.

Nobody outside of Chabot produces more on this team (Zub is pretty much on par). The last few games he has looked way more engaged in his own end and confident at taking the right side of board battles and coming away with the puck. He's figured out every league he's played in and I think he's figuring out the NHL; he won't dominate this league like he did others but he's figuring out how to be effective. All positive signs.

But there are things that need to be addressed. And it's not the usual "he's small and not that fast" stuff we usually hear. He seems to space out from time to time. And it results in open players. He seems too cautious in all zones these days. I think this also leads to poor gap control. I think coaching can help but he needs to react more quickly at times. I have faith that he will because he's already massively improved in that area on dump ins.

A work in progress but we have one, maybe two, players in the org who can move the puck out of our zone and through the neutral zone like him

Holden and DelZotto are out producing him as well this year.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Holden and DelZotto are out producing him as well this year.
Del Zotto is producing at a similar clip per game to Chabot and well surpasses him on a per 60 basis at 5v5, I'm sure he'll sustain that, totally good point to bring his production up...

Brannstrom is doing the things that usually translate into points, he's getting shots on net, he creating rebounds, he's moving the puck up ice and getting it to his linemates in stride, the team is getting scoring chances when he's on the ice; his personal production just isn't there in part because the on ice sh% is very low. Production will come for him if he countinues to get the mins, I have no doubt. His defensive play can be a mixed bag and that might prevent him from getting the opportunity long term, but the attacks on his production seem myopic to me and don't match the eye test or the underlying stats. It really feels like Boxscore scouting.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Agreed, A little for sure and certainly some key words/phrases as the relate to hockey, I wouldn't worry about language barriers even if he's still speaking a broken English.
If i was a foreign athlete, I'd probably pretend to have picked up 0 english to the media just to avoid the press.

Admittedly I haven't watch the Senators or Brannstrom much this year, because the frustration around another losing year was causing me more displeasure to watch than entertainment should, but my main qualm with trading Brannstrom is probably becaus eof sunk cost fallacy. He is now Mark Stone to me.

That said, like, Logan Brown, why trade for and sign the likes of MDZ/Hamonic/Mete/Brown/Reilly, only to give up on a free and younger D. At their peak, those now "veteran" guys were the worst version of what Brannstrom can be or is - young D with potential. They basically all became PMD/2-way D that their teams tried to make stick for 4-5 years before giving up and they becoming journeymen.

Last edited:

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
Not sure if it was intentional but that was a brilliant play by Brannstrom to fire the puck off the end boards leading to Kelly's goal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad