Traded Erik Brännström - D - Part III

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So how does Brannstrom go from leading the team in ice time for a 20+ game stretch and QBing the PP to the press box. That's what I'm asking. If he warrants the ice today, as a developing young D, how does he go from leading the team to watching the team, even shuffling Chabot and Sanderson into the mix?

I like Brannstrom, but his icetime has really been heavily influenced of available roles, we don't really have any other puck movers beyond him and Chabot right now.

With Chabot back, and given Sanderson isn't going to be in the press box, the roles remaining might be a bad fit for Brannstrom's skillset. I'd still have him in my opening lineup, but it will be tough to fit him.

Chabot, Zub, Hamonic and Sanderson will be locks, that leaves 2 spots for Brannstrom, Zaitsev and Holden to compete for, not to mention JBD and Thomson. You mentioned Brannstrom playing top mins for the last 20+ games, when I checked Natural statrick, it was actually Holden leading in icetime the last 20 mins, though Brannstrom takes over if you drop it to 18 games. Point is the coach has leaned on Holden a fair bit too,

What I'd like to see is this, with the bottom two pairs getting similar icetime and maybe swapping partners depending on chemistry.

Chabot-Zub
Brannstrom-Hamonic
Sanderson-Holden

I'm skeptical that we'll scratch Zaitsev though, maybe we can trade him, idk...

Last edited:
Reactions: NB613 and bert

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
So how does Brannstrom go from leading the team in ice time for a 20+ game stretch and QBing the PP to the press box. That's what I'm asking. If he warrants the ice today, as a developing young D, how does he go from leading the team to watching the team, even shuffling Chabot and Sanderson into the mix?
He gets pushed down behind Chabot, Sanderson and Holden on the left. On the right side he is behind Zub and Hamonic and at best splits time with Thomson. I don’t see him as a regular in the top 6 next year under any scenario. Thomson is ready to make the jump IMO.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I like Brannstrom, but his icetime has really been heavily influenced of available roles, we don't really have any other puck movers beyond him and Chabot right now.

With Chabot back, and given Sanderson isn't going to be in the press box, the roles remaining might be a bad fit for Brannstrom's skillset. I'd still have him in my opening lineup, but it will be tough to fit him.

Chabot, Zub, Hamonic and Sanderson will be locks, that leaves 2 spots for Brannstrom, Zaitsev and Holden to compete for, not to mention JBD and Thomson. You mentioned Brannstrom playing top mins for the last 20+ games, when I checked Natural statrick, it was actually Holden leading in icetime the last 20 mins, though Brannstrom takes over if you drop it to 18 games. Point is the coach has leaned on Holden a fair bit too,

What I'd like to see is this, with the bottom two pairs getting similar icetime and maybe swapping partners depending on chemistry.

Chabot-Zub
Brannstrom-Hamonic
Sanderson-Holden

I'm skeptical that we'll scratch Zaitsev though, maybe we can trade him, idk...
I've made a series of posts about this that started from Chabot's injury and the team being 6-6-1 since. That's 13 games. Brannstrom is leading the team in ice time over that stretch playing almost 1:45 a game more than Holden. If you project out, it's 22 games. That detail is in an earlier post. It's also based on NST stats

Reactions: NB613

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
- I will be very surprised if the Sens find a way to move on from Zaitsev & his contract over the summer. My guess is that he stays & is part of the team next season.

- Sanderson is the top pairing defenceman everyone wants but it will take him a little time to get there. For those that think they need a top pairing RD as well there are two in this upcoming draft & hopefully Ottawa snags one of them.

- Brannstrom's time in Ottawa is slowly coming to an end IMO, I already see Chabot, Zub, Sanderson, Holden & Hamonic ahead of him. That's five of the six spots for next season & he'll have to fight with Zaitsev, MDZ, Thomson & JBD for that last RD spot.

- I don't know why DJ plays him on the PK he's terrible at it as is Mete & paired together is a nightmare. Or maybe he is making that exact point to the GM.

Reactions: DJB

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I've made a series of posts about this that started from Chabot's injury and the team being 6-6-1 since. That's 13 games. Brannstrom is leading the team in ice time over that stretch playing almost 1:45 a game more than Holden. If you project out, it's 22 games. That detail is in an earlier post. It's also based on NST stats

Sure, but that advantage evaporates when Chabot is back and takes over the PP again. At ES+PK, I believe he slides down behind Hamonic, Zub and Holden, this speaks to role availability. I'm not saying he's not a good player (I like him more than many around here) just that fit might be a problem going forward.

So if Holden is getting pretty close (about 15 sec per game difference) to the same ES toi (Del Zotto is actually getting more per game which surprised me), and we add in Sanderson and Chabot, where is he going to fit in? It's not a clear decision to chose Brannstrom over Holden imo when at 5v5 they are used about the same, but Holden is a primary PK guy and Brannstrom won't continue to get the PP time once Chabot returns.

Reactions: bert

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
He is leading the team in ice time since the Chabot injury and they are 6-6-1 in that time with Brannstrom himself compiling decent advanced stats and 6 points in those 13 games (plus one where they removed him from the score sheet which I thought was quite odd).

I read the Mendes article and most of the Scout comments were caveated with "based on his utilization" so far. Ironically that article was published the day Chabot was hurt.

So does a 22 year old guy, with 6 points in 13 games, that's leading his team in ice time have value? Small sample size for sure but there's 9 games to go and barring injury, there's no reason to believe that he isn't going to continue to lead the team in ice time.

He's 22. He's going to lead the team in ice time for over 1/4 of the season and QB PP1 through a really good stretch. Do we really think there's no place for him next year?

There's all kinds of uses for him including right D. It's known he likes right D. Team brass wanted him to learn the NHL game first on his strong side. He's kind of done that

If nothing else, his trade value is increasing literally with every game played the past month
I think your post highlights why he's established himself as a member of this d core until we get clear upgrades. He needs to be on the opening night roster next year just as he should've been this year. Last year he had a small sample size of playing well when Chabot went down. He's worth so much more to us than whatever we'd get for a trade

Reactions: OD99

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I think very simply is that if he was as bad as some suggest we would be an absolute unmitigated disaster with him playing key minutes. And we arent. And it’s because he’s a decent d man who keeps mistakes very very low

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I really hope the team somehow finds a way to fire Zaitsev into the sun...

Chabot - Zub
Holden - Brannstrom
Sanderson - Hamonic

PP1 - Tkachuk - Norris - Joseph
Chabot - Brannstrom

PP2 - Formenton - Stutzle - Batherson
Sanderson - Brown
I can't see Stu or Bath taken off PP1 and don't think it make sense either way but I do like having 2 D on the 2nd unit.

PP1 - Tkachuk - Norris - Bath
Chabot - Jimmy

Guys play in their current PP positions

PP2 - Formenton - Pinto - Brown
Sanderson - Brannstrom

Pinto on the left half-wall for 1 timers and Formenton in the middle bumper

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I think very simply is that if he was as bad as some suggest we would be an absolute unmitigated disaster with him playing key minutes. And we arent. And it’s because he’s a decent d man who keeps mistakes very very low

I think he's certainly had his ups and downs but he's given us plenty of games where he eats 21-24 of unsheltered minutes and provides quality. At age 22 I think you have to see what turns into unless you can get a quality piece in return.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
He’s ended each of the past 2 seasons with legit top 4 play, hopefully he can start off and maintain that level next year. I think having him on the 3rd pair with Holden would be some of the best depth on D we’ve had in a long long time

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
He’s ended each of the past 2 seasons with legit top 4 play, hopefully he can start off and maintain that level next year. I think having him on the 3rd pair with Holden would be some of the best depth on D we’ve had in a long long time

He might have started that way this year if he'd been given the chance he earned in camp.

Instead MDZ, Zaitsev and J. Brown broke camp with the team.

Reactions: Bileur

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
he hasnt really been blatantly man handled lately. And one of the bigger hits he took was to create a good scoring chance. I do love how fearless he is. Seems he's started reading the play faster and avoiding as much contact as he took early on in the NHL.

Still not sure about his future here, but good to see some improvements on some obvious weaknesses. Now, get your shot on net more.

Last edited:

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
I don't see a point to keeping him around long term. Chabot and Sanderson will be without a doubt better offensively, and I'd rather have someone with better size and mobility filling in the bottom pairing.

Reactions: aragorn

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
- I will be very surprised if the Sens find a way to move on from Zaitsev & his contract over the summer. My guess is that he stays & is part of the team next season.

- Sanderson is the top pairing defenceman everyone wants but it will take him a little time to get there. For those that think they need a top pairing RD as well there are two in this upcoming draft & hopefully Ottawa snags one of them.

- Brannstrom's time in Ottawa is slowly coming to an end IMO, I already see Chabot, Zub, Sanderson, Holden & Hamonic ahead of him. That's five of the six spots for next season & he'll have to fight with Zaitsev, MDZ, Thomson & JBD for that last RD spot.

- I don't know why DJ plays him on the PK he's terrible at it as is Mete & paired together is a nightmare. Or maybe he is making that exact point to the GM.

Although you're likely not wrong about his time coming to an end slowly. How weird is it that with Chabot out he's been the top guy and he's on his way out.

Reactions: Bileur and NB613

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Although you're likely not wrong about his time coming to an end slowly. How weird is it that with Chabot out he's been the top guy and he's on his way out.
It can't make sense - he becomes your top pair option and does just fine with it (when all the talk it he gets crushed, can't defend, etc...) yet he needs to be tossed from a team that has significant defensive depth issues!

Mind boggling.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
If Lassi makes it in Ottawa next year, you'd think he'd have a spot on the 2nd PP with the way he shoots.
The problem could be that they will have a number of guys on one way contracts to start next season unless they trade or buy a guy out. Holden, Zaitsev, Hamonic & MDZ all have contracts for next season & then there is Chabot, Sanderson & Brannstrom. JBD is getting better too, lots of competition. Depending on what happens by the TDL he should get an opportunity.
It's weird this yr although I would have liked to see MDZ running the PP but there clearly was some problem with management & coach with him. Next yr they will have Chabot, Sanderson & maybe MDZ & Brannstrom who could run a PP, will they need all of them? I know it might be too early for Sanderson but much is expected from him & he seems to have a ll the tools to do it. It's going to be very interesting what happens with the defence next yr, they will have four UFAs on the backend & two guys in Belleville who should be knocking on the door next yr.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Brannstrom just need a better forward speed. That's it, that's all. Just do it. Hire a power skating coach. It is not really difficult!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad