Traded Erik Brännström - D - Part III

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
He's getting about 20 secs more a game than Zaitsev, he's clearly first pair PK, but "far more because the LD can't" isn't entirely accurate, Zub gets a min less a game than Zaitsev, Hamonic even less than that since joining us, not because they can't PK, but because the first unit always gets significantly more time. Mete, Brown, Zub, all have 2nd unit PK TOI/game, Hamonic has had 2nd unit PK TOI since his arrival too.

There's not really an issue with playing two RD on the PK, we've done it for a while now and lots of other teams do it too. We are currently playing Brannstrom as our 5th PK dman, Chabot occasionally plays that role too, though with him we try not to because he's already playing 26 mins a night. Sanderson will almost assuredly play PK from the moment he laces them up too.

We have lots of guys that can play a role on PK, Brannstrom has been doing fine in his limited role the last dozen games or so, if we lose Holden it's not the end of the world, though it's always preferable to have as many guys that can kill, we'll still have Zaitsev, Zub, Hamonic, likely Sanderson, and frankly Brannstrom in that 5th slot isn't bad though I wouldn't want to rely on him as a primary option. Thomson and JBD both should be able to PK in a pinch should they get called up too.
I was speaking strictly Left side. Right side has Zaitsev, Zub and now Hamonic. On the left side Holden is over 3 minutes per game while fillers like Mete and Heatherington are at 1:42 in limited action while MDZ/Brannstrom/Chabot are all under 40 seconds.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
The simple and obvious, at least to me, truth is that Brannstrom’s future in Ottawa was sealed the moment we drafted Sanderson.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
35 year old who can defend, protect Thomson and PK. Who PKs with Chabot, Brannstrom and Sanderson in the lineup ?
Well one of them plus the 3 other d men that we will have.

Not advocating for Holden to be out. He should be there. And he will be there.

Reactions: GCK

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Brannstrom is a totally fine PK guy. He’s not shy about getting in front of shooters. He has a good stick in the d zone. And he’s smart with the puck. Which d men are capable of playing the pk.
I find he gets lost in the limited time he is on the PK. In an ideal world he wouldn’t ever have to play there but with how we use Chabot the other 2 LD need to PK. Having Sanderson ramp up to 22 minutes a night in a couple years will be the biggest boon to this team in a long, long time. Such a game changing piece.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Putting that puck precisely in the wheel house to one time it isn't easy. Neither is one timing it.

Could Zub play the PP? Sure. But Zub is right handed and if Zub man's the point, then that shot off the right side dot as a go to play is out. That shot is then coming from the left dot and that means you need a right hand shooter. Receiving the puck on your forehand, pivoting your body and moving the puck to the right side dot provides the goalie and the D the extra split second to shut that shot down.

Not to mention that often when Norris feeds it back it's because he feels the shooting lane has closed. Which WILL happen when you try the same play over and over again. This happens to Chabot and Brannstrom alike.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I was speaking strictly Left side. Right side has Zaitsev, Zub and now Hamonic. On the left side Holden is over 3 minutes per game while fillers like Mete and Heatherington are at 1:42 in limited action while MDZ/Brannstrom/Chabot are all under 40 seconds.
Yeah, I get that, but guys play their offside on the PK all the time. Josh Brown's most common PK partner was Zub, Hamonic was paired with Myers and Poolman in Vancouver all three being RHD, and in his limited time here, has split time between playing with Brannstrom and Zub. Handedness isn't as much of a factor when the only thing you're doing once the puck is on your stick is clearing it ASAP.

We need to have 4 primary penalty killing Dmen, handedness imo is a relatively minor concern.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
He has some really good flashes of offense against a defensively shite Detroit team. Hoping he can keep that level of play against better teams!

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Unbelievably bad shot. I am beginning to feel that unless he can score, I honestly don't see the point. Last night he had 2 golden opportunities. One, he could get the puck over for an open net, and then , of course, missing the net from the point. Badly.

Can it all be about confidence? He is getting the opportunity, for sure and there is no question about it. Hell, if I were coaching I would have had Del Zotto on PP1 5 games ago. But credit to DJ for sticking with him

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
Unbelievably bad shot. I am beginning to feel that unless he can score, I honestly don't see the point. Last night he had 2 golden opportunities. One, he could get the puck over for an open net, and then , of course, missing the net from the point. Badly.

Can it all be about confidence? He is getting the opportunity, for sure and there is no question about it. Hell, if I were coaching I would have had Del Zotto on PP1 5 games ago. But credit to DJ for sticking with him

Personally I think he is shooting to score way too much. Instead of focusing his effort on getting it on net for tips and rebounds. he's trying to snipe corners but has very little shooting confidence atm. Reminds me of Stutzle earlier in the year.

Reactions: NB613

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Chabot, Zub, Sanderson out

Sure is nice we have a young, talented defenseman who can step up and play higher in the lineup, drive play and look good.

But I guess a 2nd round pick or a prospect years off is more valuable to some.
I’d love to keep Brannstrom next year as our 7th D but I doubt he’s in love with the idea.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

He’s extremely effective at moving the puck up the ice (there’s data to prove me wrong I’m sure) and he’s very good at controlling the Ozone. That’s the point right now. And I think that’s the point next year as well

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
He’s extremely effective at moving the puck up the ice (there’s data to prove me wrong I’m sure) and he’s very good at controlling the Ozone. That’s the point right now. And I think that’s the point next year as well
I think the problem is that Chabot is better at all of that, and yes even the power play, so that puts Bran as a second option. That’s fine, as long as Sanderson doesn’t show a similar level of skill as he showed at UND.

For Branstrom I’m seeing third paring, PP2 time, and that’s if Sanderson doesn’t beat him out in that regard, or Tompson. Bran is also not great in his own zone yet so he’ll have to be with the right partner so that they compliment each other’s strengths and weaknesses.

I’m torn on what to do with Branstrom not because he isn’t good, but more about where he realistically will fit going forward. If he isn’t core, then eventually you have to consider moving him. Hopefully he’ll continue to develop, but right now he’s kind of excelling in the middle zone of the ice, and is just ok in both offensive and defensive zones.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Chabot, Zub, Sanderson out

Sure is nice we have a young, talented defenseman who can step up and play higher in the lineup, drive play and look good.

But I guess a 2nd round pick or a prospect years off is more valuable to some.

I see no immediate need to trade Brannstrom at this time UNLESS we get an offer we cannot refuse. He fills a need that MIGHT be filled by Sanderson, Thomson or some other offensively skilled defenceman in the future but those players have not exceeded his NHL level of play yet. When and if they do, then he could become a tradeable asset. Holden, Harmonic and Zaitsev will have to be replaced in the next few years and we do not have NHL-level replacements for them yet due to budget and prospects development.

Yes I would like a bigger stronger more physical defenceman who can skate with the puck and make accurate passes.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I see no immediate need to trade Brannstrom at this time UNLESS we get an offer we cannot refuse. He fills a need that MIGHT be filled by Sanderson, Thomson or some other offensively skilled defenceman in the future but those players have not exceeded his NHL level of play yet. When and if they do, then he could become a tradeable asset. Holden, Harmonic and Zaitsev will have to be replaced in the next few years and we do not have NHL-level replacements for them yet due to budget and prospects development.

Yes I would like a bigger stronger more physical defenceman who can skate with the puck and make accurate passes.
No matter how Sanderson is in camp and at the start of the year he will be playing ahead of Brannstrom. It’s the reality of being a high pick with his pedigree, there will be no “camp battle” between them. Brannstrom’s competition for playing time next year is Holden who just re-signed, so you can do the math on slotting.

Reactions: Cosmix

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
He is leading the team in ice time since the Chabot injury and they are 6-6-1 in that time with Brannstrom himself compiling decent advanced stats and 6 points in those 13 games (plus one where they removed him from the score sheet which I thought was quite odd).

I read the Mendes article and most of the Scout comments were caveated with "based on his utilization" so far. Ironically that article was published the day Chabot was hurt.

So does a 22 year old guy, with 6 points in 13 games, that's leading his team in ice time have value? Small sample size for sure but there's 9 games to go and barring injury, there's no reason to believe that he isn't going to continue to lead the team in ice time.

He's 22. He's going to lead the team in ice time for over 1/4 of the season and QB PP1 through a really good stretch. Do we really think there's no place for him next year?

There's all kinds of uses for him including right D. It's known he likes right D. Team brass wanted him to learn the NHL game first on his strong side. He's kind of done that

If nothing else, his trade value is increasing literally with every game played the past month

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
He is leading the team in ice time since the Chabot injury and they are 6-6-1 in that time with Brannstrom himself compiling decent advanced stats and 6 points in those 13 games (plus one where they removed him from the score sheet which I thought was quite odd).

I read the Mendes article and most of the Scout comments were caveated with "based on his utilization" so far. Ironically that article was published the day Chabot was hurt.

So does a 22 year old guy, with 6 points in 13 games, that's leading his team in ice time have value? Small sample size for sure but there's 9 games to go and barring injury, there's no reason to believe that he isn't going to continue to lead the team in ice time.

He's 22. He's going to lead the team in ice time for over 1/4 of the season and QB PP1 through a really good stretch. Do we really think there's no place for him next year?

There's all kinds of uses for him including right D. It's known he likes right D. Team brass wanted him to learn the NHL game first on his strong side. He's kind of done that

If nothing else, his trade value is increasing literally with every game played the past month
Selfishly I’d rather keep him as our 7th D next year rather than trade him.

Reactions: Cosmix

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
I think the problem is that Chabot is better at all of that, and yes even the power play, so that puts Bran as a second option. That’s fine, as long as Sanderson doesn’t show a similar level of skill as he showed at UND.

For Branstrom I’m seeing third paring, PP2 time, and that’s if Sanderson doesn’t beat him out in that regard, or Tompson. Bran is also not great in his own zone yet so he’ll have to be with the right partner so that they compliment each other’s strengths and weaknesses.

I’m torn on what to do with Branstrom not because he isn’t good, but more about where he realistically will fit going forward. If he isn’t core, then eventually you have to consider moving him. Hopefully he’ll continue to develop, but right now he’s kind of excelling in the middle zone of the ice, and is just ok in both offensive and defensive zones.

It's possible that Brannstrom and Sanderson could both play PP2 at times. Think about the forwards we've been throwing out there on the 2nd unit. We're all hoping the depth will improve, but you could easily justify putting Brannstrom/Sanderson out there over Ennis, Gaudette, etc.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Selfishly I’d rather keep him as our 7th D next year rather than trade him.
So how does Brannstrom go from leading the team in ice time for a 20+ game stretch and QBing the PP to the press box. That's what I'm asking. If he warrants the ice today, as a developing young D, how does he go from leading the team to watching the team, even shuffling Chabot and Sanderson into the mix?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad