Traded Erik Brännström - D - Part III

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
Move Brann to the side boards and put Stu on the point. Brann can pass and move in tight, not like Stu!, but it gives a shot from the point as well as having Norris in his spot. Teams are watching Norris and it looks like they are passing back to Brann and over to Stu to open up space. I would rather have Stu walking in from the point and having Brann rotate out to cover, or shooting and have Brann on the side boards to pinch it off if it misses. There might be options in this set up.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
35 year old who can defend, protect Thomson and PK. Who PKs with Chabot, Brannstrom and Sanderson in the lineup ?
Yep, the PK is the problem. All of Zub, Zaitsev and Hamonic can pk. The other side is an issue.

Zaitsev and Holden lead the team by a lot on the pk.

If one of them is not back as a regular player that's a hole that needs filling.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Different sides.

I'm well aware of that. My point is that Thomson is behind both Brann and Holden. Either one can play on the right side as well. So even though the org should get a top 4 RHD (no Hamonic is not it), they most likely will just roll with what they have.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Yep, the PK is the problem. All of Zub, Zaitsev and Hamonic can pk. The other side is an issue.

If one of them is not back as a regular player that's a hole that needs filling.
I’m pretty sure Zaitsev is gone this summer so

Holden Zub
Sanderson Hamonic

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I'm well aware of that. My point is that Thomson is behind both Brann and Holden. Either one can play on the right side as well. So even though the org should get a top 4 RHD (no Hamonic is not it), they most likely will just roll with what they have.
I think you are underestimating the progress Thomson has made this year. To me he is a better option than Brannstrom.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
If they end up playing Sanderson the way I think they will there's room for Brannstrom, at the very least in the short term. He brings a different skill set than the other guys that are here and I think the team could still use his creativity on the PP, whether that's anchoring the 2nd unit or complimenting the top one if they decide to reduce Chabot's minutes a bit.

This also gives Sanderson a chance to focus on transitioning his bread and butter (defensive game) to the NHL and fill a massive hole for the Sens as a (hopefully) capable 2nd pair matchup defender. If his transition to the NHL goes anything like the NCAA he'll be able to slowly adjust his game in the offensive zone and in 2-3 years time he can hopefully take a jump as a guy able to contribute in all situations (PP included).

I'm a big Thomson fan and hope he's given the first shot at a roster spot if the team finds a taker for Zaitsev. He's also going to be a threat on the PP eventually, but not at all in the way Brannstrom will be/is as a creator. I'm not sure he's a guy you can slot in for next season and expect any kind of improvement.

Reactions: NB613

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
I was watching the Winnipeg feed last night so anyone watching the Ottawa feed might not have seen this

In the first period, they put up a stat that the Sens have been 29% on the PP since March 5. And they popped a couple of PP goals last night so that number went up. Chabot's been out since March 5 so Brannstrom has been QBing PP one for the majority of this PP surge.

Curious on your thoughts on that? A 22 year old QBing a PP in the NHL at 30% for almost 20 games
Norris's shooting percentage has had a pretty significant impact on the success rate of the powerplay. It isn't very common for a single player to score that many goals on the powerplay over such a short period of time.

From my eye test Brannstrom is one of the weaker players on the first power play unit. He has done some positive things and had good moments but it is very noticeable how often he fails to make clean passes. Just watch him try to set up Josh Norris. It will take 3+ attempts before Norris gets it where he wants it. Norris can score on that 3rd attempt and that leads to Brannstrom supports to use that as justification for his effectiveness but in my opinion they aren't analyzing the play. It isn't the case that Brannstrom is making the right pass and Norris doesn't like the look of the shot and sends it back to Brannstrom to try to get the goalie moving or a better angle for the shot. What is happening is that Brannstrom is making multiple poor passes before finally getting a clean one through. That suggests a d man who can make better passes on a more consistent basis would be a superior option. Such a player would give Norris more dangerous shot attempts over a shorter period of time.

Brannstrom doesn't have a lot of tools in his arsenal. He has a very weak shot so he isn't really a threat to score goals. He doesn't know how to use his shot effectively as he prefers to take them from poor angles instead of trying to set up other players for deflections. His lack of shot puts more of an emphasis on his passing, puck handling and skating. As stated above his passing is lacking. He also doesn't display high end vision or the ability to make dangerous passes through traffic on the powerplay. His lack of shot means that can't fake a shot to set up passes, the lack of power on his shot means that opponents can be more aggressive in pressuring him as they can likely block the shot and regain possession from that pressure. His skating and possession game are also not that strong either. He isn't capable of easily weaving his way through traffic or using a burst of speed or quick pivots/cut backs to take defenders out of the play or create passing and shooting lanes.

I think if Zub was in Brannstrom's spot that the powerplay would be running at the same rate. Moving forwards I think Chabot and Sanderson will be able to do exactly what Brannstrom is doing and more. Next season one of those two will be on the 1st power play and the other one will likely be on the 2nd powerplay. If Thomson makes the team he would get a serious look on the 2nd powerplay as well, as should Zub. Brannstrom is getting an extended look but he hasn't locked anything down and there will be plenty of competition for his role. The other players competing for that role have traits he doesn't have so they have a way to lock down those roles in ways he can't.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Norris's shooting percentage has had a pretty significant impact on the success rate of the powerplay. It isn't very common for a single player to score that many goals on the powerplay over such a short period of time.

From my eye test Brannstrom is one of the weaker players on the first power play unit. He has done some positive things and had good moments but it is very noticeable how often he fails to make clean passes. Just watch him try to set up Josh Norris. It will take 3+ attempts before Norris gets it where he wants it. Norris can score on that 3rd attempt and that leads to Brannstrom supports to use that as justification for his effectiveness but in my opinion they aren't analyzing the play. It isn't the case that Brannstrom is making the right pass and Norris doesn't like the look of the shot and sends it back to Brannstrom to try to get the goalie moving or a better angle for the shot. What is happening is that Brannstrom is making multiple poor passes before finally getting a clean one through. That suggests a d man who can make better passes on a more consistent basis would be a superior option. Such a player would give Norris more dangerous shot attempts over a shorter period of time.

Brannstrom doesn't have a lot of tools in his arsenal. He has a very weak shot so he isn't really a threat to score goals. He doesn't know how to use his shot effectively as he prefers to take them from poor angles instead of trying to set up other players for deflections. His lack of shot puts more of an emphasis on his passing, puck handling and skating. As stated above his passing is lacking. He also doesn't display high end vision or the ability to make dangerous passes through traffic on the powerplay. His lack of shot means that can't fake a shot to set up passes, the lack of power on his shot means that opponents can be more aggressive in pressuring him as they can likely block the shot and regain possession from that pressure. His skating and possession game are also not that strong either. He isn't capable of easily weaving his way through traffic or using a burst of speed or quick pivots/cut backs to take defenders out of the play or create passing and shooting lanes.

I think if Zub was in Brannstrom's spot that the powerplay would be running at the same rate. Moving forwards I think Chabot and Sanderson will be able to do exactly what Brannstrom is doing and more. Next season one of those two will be on the 1st power play and the other one will likely be on the 2nd powerplay. If Thomson makes the team he would get a serious look on the 2nd powerplay as well, as should Zub. Brannstrom is getting an extended look but he hasn't locked anything down and there will be plenty of competition for his role. The other players competing for that role have traits he doesn't have so they have a way to lock down those roles in ways he can't.
You keep saying this bit about Brannstrom not getting the puck to Norria in the right spot but nobody makes perfect passes all the time.

Chabot missed him over and over too but if anything Brann makes a choice and moves the puck quicker.

He also doesn't have a weak shot, it is just very clear they don't want the D to shoot from the top of umbrella as it just doesn't happen. I wish they would let it go more and also that Batherson would get the left boards so he can rip one-timers too. Adding those 2 dimensions to the Norris and down low plays would really have PKers guessing.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
35 year old who can defend, protect Thomson and PK. Who PKs with Chabot, Brannstrom and Sanderson in the lineup ?
Sanderson? I mean if he is taking a top 4 slot behind Chabot he should be on the PK

Reactions: OD99

HSF

Sep 3, 2008

the sens need to bring in a good top 4 defensemen who should be able to play a ton of PK time. Also if Sanderson is going into the top 4 like so many here predict he will have to be a top PK guy too if we want success

Reactions: Yak and NB613

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal

Yikes to the bolded. Branny has been very good on there since he was thrown into the role, having very little experience there. Keep him there next season and there's no doubt he'd flourish.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
so we went from brannstrom always getting hit, to not putting up points to now he can't play the PK

You would think ppl would care more about how many bottom pairing 'defensive' defensemen we play too high in the lineup

The best teams in the league arent relying on Holden and Zaitsev to be their top PK guys. Sanderson should be in that role soon enough if he is as good a people think and there needs to be another added defensemen who can actually play with Chabot

Reactions: OD99 and NB613

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
Barely. Sure, he's a little more stable but that'll come with Branny.

they play such different games in different roles. Not really fair to compare them. Of course Holden > Brannstrom defensively. Its also Brannstrom > Holden offensively so not a great comparison.

Reactions: God Says No

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
Needs to shoot the puck on net every now and then. He moves it 9 our of 10 times, get some confidence man.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

Putting that puck precisely in the wheel house to one time it isn't easy. Neither is one timing it.

Could Zub play the PP? Sure. But Zub is right handed and if Zub man's the point, then that shot off the right side dot as a go to play is out. That shot is then coming from the left dot and that means you need a right hand shooter. Receiving the puck on your forehand, pivoting your body and moving the puck to the right side dot provides the goalie and the D the extra split second to shut that shot down.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
so we went from brannstrom always getting hit, to not putting up points to now he can't play the PK

You would think ppl would care more about how many bottom pairing 'defensive' defensemen we play too high in the lineup

The best teams in the league arent relying on Holden and Zaitsev to be their top PK guys. Sanderson should be in that role soon enough if he is as good a people think and there needs to be another added defensemen who can actually play with Chabot
It’s not a slight to Brannstrom that he can’t PK. Chabot is not overly good at it either. Holden has been by far our highest PK TOI D due to the inability of any other LDs being serviceable, including Brann and Chabot. There is no way that Holden isn’t in the lineup next year because of that.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I’m pretty sure Zaitsev is gone this summer so

Holden Zub
Sanderson Hamonic
I'm not. The ownership situation might not get settled as fast as people think it will. And the current group seem to have a different opinion than fans & HFers do on Zaitsev.

I'm guessing that the interim ownership might not make many bold moves and primarily focus resolving on the ownership structure whatever that turns out to be.

Hope I'm wrong.

Holden has been decent and has provided some stability to a less than ideal blueline situation. But, the future of the Senators is vested in their young players and the development of those young players.

While Brannstrom is not a stud at all aspects of the game, I think he has shown us that's he's decent with increased responsibilities and ice time. His passing has been quite good I think and seems to be underrated by some here. Being patient with young players I think can play dividends and that seems to be the plan. I guess we'll see how this shakes out.

Reactions: aragorn and NB613

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It’s not a slight to Brannstrom that he can’t PK. Chabot is not overly good at it either. Holden has been by far our highest PK TOI D due to the inability of any other LDs being serviceable, including Brann and Chabot. There is no way that Holden isn’t in the lineup next year because of that.

He's getting about 20 secs more a game than Zaitsev, he's clearly first pair PK, but "far more because the LD can't" isn't entirely accurate, Zub gets a min less a game than Zaitsev, Hamonic even less than that since joining us, not because they can't PK, but because the first unit always gets significantly more time. Mete, Brown, Zub, all have 2nd unit PK TOI/game, Hamonic has had 2nd unit PK TOI since his arrival too.

There's not really an issue with playing two RD on the PK, we've done it for a while now and lots of other teams do it too. We are currently playing Brannstrom as our 5th PK dman, Chabot occasionally plays that role too, though with him we try not to because he's already playing 26 mins a night. Sanderson will almost assuredly play PK from the moment he laces them up too.

We have lots of guys that can play a role on PK, Brannstrom has been doing fine in his limited role the last dozen games or so, if we lose Holden it's not the end of the world, though it's always preferable to have as many guys that can kill, we'll still have Zaitsev, Zub, Hamonic, likely Sanderson, and frankly Brannstrom in that 5th slot isn't bad though I wouldn't want to rely on him as a primary option. Thomson and JBD both should be able to PK in a pinch should they get called up too.

Reactions: NB613

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad