Traded Erik Brännström - D - Part III

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I was watching the Winnipeg feed last night so anyone watching the Ottawa feed might not have seen this

In the first period, they put up a stat that the Sens have been 29% on the PP since March 5. And they popped a couple of PP goals last night so that number went up. Chabot's been out since March 5 so Brannstrom has been QBing PP one for the majority of this PP surge.

Curious on your thoughts on that? A 22 year old QBing a PP in the NHL at 30% for almost 20 games
Small correction, Chabot has been out since 16 Mar, not the 5th

So 13 games, on the ice for 10 PP goals in 39 opportunities, not bad at all, but Chabot had been on for 6 goals from 5 Mar to 16 Mar in 15 opportunities , 7 games but didn't get any pp time in that last game so you can take out two of those pp opportunities we got against Clb (he only played 9 mins before getting hurt)

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
No room on one of the worst defenses in the league ? Ya ok

The blue line is crowded cause we keep adding bottom pairing defensemen. Get rid of mdz and zaitsev
Chabot Zub
Sanderson Hamonic
Holden Thomson
Del Zotto

JBD first call up
A Heatherington type
Guenette

If Brannstrom is here next year he is the 7th D and that is unfair to him and his development. He’s just not better than the top 2 LDs and Holden is a better fit with Thomson.

Where are you playing Brannstrom in that setup

Reactions: gab6511 and bert

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
You guys are funny.

There's always a trigger man on a PP and what the team is trying to do to score. We're trying to feed Norris from the top of the umbrella or have Stuetzle work some magic off the half wall

But someone is working the point on the umbrella and distributing the puck. And in what's probably our best sustained stretch in a decade, that someone is Brannstrom

And a shout out to @Sweatred on another nice play from White on the PP.
The trigger man happens to be 6th in the league in PPG since January 1st and he missed 15 games during that time span. Without missing those 15 games he could easily be the top PPG scorer in the league since Jan. 1st. You could put a pylon at the blueline for Norris to bank passes off of back to himself and you'd still have a pretty sick PP with the kind of shooting he's done. So, saying "there's alway a trigger man" when the guy pulling the trigger is firing like no one else in the league is at the moment is nonsense. Nearly all of the credit for the actual goals scored on the powerplay goes to Norris. Other teams are drawing up penalty killing schemes to take away his shot on the PP instead of attacking the guy at the top of the PP distributing the puck. They're daring Ottawa to play 4 on 3 because they have little to no respect for the play from the blueline.

Reactions: bert

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Chabot Zub
Sanderson Hamonic
Holden Thomson
Del Zotto

JBD first call up
A Heatherington type
Guenette

If Brannstrom is here next year he is the 7th D and that is unfair to him and his development. He’s just not better than the top 2 LDs and Holden is a better fit with Thomson.

Where are you playing Brannstrom in that setup
I’m running

Chabot - top 4 D
Sanderson - Zub
Brannstrom - Hamonic
Extra: Holden

Only way we come close to a playoff spot is by upgrading having excellent depth like brannstrom

Injuries will happen and Holden is the perfect guy to sub in ….not JBD

If Sanderson starts off slow then

Chabot - top 4 D
Brannstrom - Zub
Sanderson - Hamonic

Reactions: NB613 and Bileur

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
If this is our defense next season I would say that we have plenty of space for brannnstrom
He is realistically the 7th guy on that D core. There are always injuries though and DJ loves Zaitsev so who knows how much ice time he gets. Hopefully they can get rid of Zaitsev this off season.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I’m running

Chabot - top 4 D
Sanderson - Zub
Brannstrom - Hamonic
Extra: Holden

Only way we come close to a playoff spot is by upgrading having excellent depth like brannstrom

Injuries will happen and Holden is the perfect guy to sub in ….not JBD

If Sanderson starts off slow then

Chabot - top 4 D
Brannstrom - Zub
Sanderson - Hamonic
Holden is a better D than Brannstrom though. Also Thomson has shown he’s ready to get in the lineup.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
Small players have way shorter development curves you've missed my point completely. Brady and Brannstrom are opposites in this regard. Kleven has a much longer development curve than Brannstrom. There are countless examples of bigger players taking longer. Small players tend to hit their peak faster because they rely on their speed.
and Branns hockey IQ would make Klevens head spin.

and my point is that Brannstrom is only a rookie 22 year old d who can get stronger. Alfie, Pageau, Marchand, Spurgeon, Marchesssault etc countless examples of small players getting stronger after 22 and being much better players after. Why are you excluding Brann from getting stronger? and in relation to Brady, defenseman take the longest to develop as it is a much harder position to master than wing.

Reactions: Sweatred

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
The trigger man happens to be 6th in the league in PPG since January 1st and he missed 15 games during that time span. Without missing those 15 games he could easily be the top PPG scorer in the league since Jan. 1st. You could put a pylon at the blueline for Norris to bank passes off of back to himself and you'd still have a pretty sick PP with the kind of shooting he's done. So, saying "there's alway a trigger man" when the guy pulling the trigger is firing like no one else in the league is at the moment is nonsense. Nearly all of the credit for the actual goals scored on the powerplay goes to Norris. Other teams are drawing up penalty killing schemes to take away his shot on the PP instead of attacking the guy at the top of the PP distributing the puck. They're daring Ottawa to play 4 on 3 because they have little to no respect for the play from the blueline.

I don't know if you know but as the Quarterback opening up the ice to free up the shot is a skill in itself. Brann does a very good job of facilitating movement with his forwards and while obviously most of the credit goes to Norris for his incredible shot, but creating a shot that everyone knows is coming is a skill also.

not to even mention that giving a perfect wheelhouse one time passes is also a skill.

You think Ovechkin wouldn't notice if instead of Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Carlsson it was Eller and Wilson feeding him passes?

Last edited:

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
And a shout out to @Sweatred on another nice play from White on the PP.

Should we declare a national holiday? Too bad his 2 or 3 nice plays all come off PP1…

10 games left and he’s starting to hit a few bodies too… bizzaro. Now if we could get him to 50% vs teams other than Detroit well have a piece to move.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
If this is our defense next season I would say that we have plenty of space for brannnstrom

naw why keep a player who as a rookie has shown he can have nights where he can not only be one of your best defenceman but one of the best players on the ice.

Who needs that from their depth defenseman?? especially us with our storied history of deep defensive depth.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I really doubt Lassi or Sandy are even better then Brann.

I bet we see Sanderson as 3LD next year…. Nothing wrong with that.

LD
Chabot
Brann
Sanderson

also zero chance Sandy/Lassi play 160 games.. lots of room for Holden.

Last edited:
Reactions: HSF

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
I always thought the right comp for Brannstrom was Enstrom and I think he’s still tracking for it.

It takes time to figure out how to have success at that size.

It’s not fair to minimize his contributions to the PP. He may not be getting tons of points but he’s involved in a lot of goals getting what would be the 4th assist.

I get that people want a him to use his shot up there but that’s not how the Sens run their PP. That’s on the coaching, not Brannstrom. It’s also one reason Chabot hasn’t matched his goal totals from his rookie or sophomore years. D appear to be asked to pass rather than shoot on the PP.

Reactions: Senator Stanley

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I really doubt Lassi or Sandy are even better then Brann.

I bet we see Sanderson as 3LD next year…. Nothing wrong with that.

LD
Chabot
Brann
Sanderson

also zero chance Sandy/Lassi play 160 games.. lots of room for Holden.
Of course there is room for Holden. He will be our 3LD and 1st LD on the PK. I don’t want Chabot on the PK wasting energy.

Reactions: bert

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Should we declare a national holiday? Too bad his 2 or 3 nice plays all come off PP1…

10 games left and he’s starting to hit a few bodies too… bizzaro. Now if we could get him to 50% vs teams other than Detroit well have a piece to move.
White has been below 50% in 6 of 22 games so far - huge positive jump there.

Agree would be nice to see his points at even strength go up but nobody other than our top line is really putting up points right now.

He took himself out of a prime scoring chance last night by overhandling...should have ripped one from the high slot.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
If Sanderson isn’t better than Brannstrom this team is screwed.
I think the expectation is that Sanderson will be better than Brann but I could see Brann being #2LD to start the season and let Sanderson grown in to that position.

Main reason I don't to just dump Brann for nothing is so he can be part of the LD growth. If he ends up our 3LD by end of next season and going forward that is a good thing IMO as we need that depth.

Reactions: NB613

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Small correction, Chabot has been out since 16 Mar, not the 5th

So 13 games, on the ice for 10 PP goals in 39 opportunities, not bad at all, but Chabot had been on for 6 goals from 5 Mar to 16 Mar in 15 opportunities , 7 games but didn't get any pp time in that last game so you can take out two of those pp opportunities we got against Clb (he only played 9 mins before getting hurt)
Yes, I knew that. Up too early, not enough coffee. That's why I said for the majority of the surge.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
obviously Norris is firing the puck at a high conversion rate. And that's driving a lot of success. But it also takes an effort to get the puck there and move it around in the zone. And there is always a trigger man, an intended designed shooter. Brannstrom is playing his role on a pp that is thriving. I don't think that's hard to understand but it appears that it's hard to acknowledge.

The kid is starting to mature. It's good for us

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Holden is a better D than Brannstrom though. Also Thomson has shown he’s ready to get in the lineup.
Is he better? Better for the team? What value does the team derive from playing a 35 year old D man in a bottom pair over a 23 year kid still developing?

If they don't move Brannstrom, he's on a one way next year. I don't see him sitting on a one way.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

Well, I think a national holiday might be overkill at this early stage.

How about a one day moratorium on mentioning White?

Kidding 😁

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I get that people want a him to use his shot up there but that’s not how the Sens run their PP. That’s on the coaching, not Brannstrom. It’s also one reason Chabot hasn’t matched his goal totals from his rookie or sophomore years. D appear to be asked to pass rather than shoot on the PP.
Bingo

Reactions: HSF

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Is he better? Better for the team? What value does the team derive from playing a 35 year old D man in a bottom pair over a 23 year kid still developing?

If they don't move Brannstrom, he's on a one way next year. I don't see him sitting on a one way.
35 year old who can defend, protect Thomson and PK. Who PKs with Chabot, Brannstrom and Sanderson in the lineup ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad