Traded Erik Brännström - D - Part III

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
We've got only 4 issues with our D. Structure, Physicality, Hamonic, and JBD.

Only replace the “other D” if we can get a clear upgrade. No one in AHL is better than the “other D”. “Other D” = Chabot / Sanderson / Chychrun / Zub / Brannstrom.
JBD isn't a problem. This team's mindset is the problem. At least JBD tries. If only the rest of his teammates had the same work ethic? People blaming JBD for our woes are completely out to lunch.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: NB613

DylanSensFan

Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Exactly, there is no comparison between them. Any comparison made is with flawed observation imo.

Can compare him to the bottom guys, JBD, Hamonic, Kleven, Guenette. He’s better than those guys at some things, and worse at some. He’s in that group of players, at the top, of guys you don’t want in your lineup every game, or at all as a playoff team. Bottom pairing, pressbox guys. Which is perfectly fine. What he doesn’t offer, is any specialty. He’s not very good, at any aspect of the game. He’s just there. You don’t have him out on the ice offensively, defensively, to send a message, to kill a penalty.

Your bottom pairing guys should fill a role in their 16 minutes of icetime, Branstrom has none.

Chabot and Chychrun need to be better. That’s got nothing to do with Branstrom. It’s two top pairing guys against a #6/7 whom teams aren’t going to want dressed every game, including this very bad Sens
You're also the guy who said Ostapchuk was one of our top prospects. He's average in the AHL. He's not even a call up consideration right now. Obviously Martin thinks pretty highly of Brannstrom, otherwise he would have benched him already. You saying he isn't playing every night on another team is simply old thinking.

Last edited:
  • Haha

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
JBD isn't a problem. This teams mindset is the problem. At least JBD tries. If only the rest of his teammates had the same work ethic? People blaming JBD for our woes are completely out to lunch.

JBD is far from the main problem, but even so he's not NHL quality night in and out at this point.

DylanSensFan

Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
JBD is far from the main problem, but even so he's not NHL quality night in and out at this point.
His partners haven't been NHL quality night in and night out and they are getting paid way more than him. This team needs to learn how to play NHL hockey. We keep pointing fingers at players earning the least and who have worked the hardest. Anyways, back to Brannstrom. Martin isn't healthy scratching this kid, so either he's trying to make Brannstrom a trade target, or he thinks Branny is a good player, or both?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
You're also the guy who said Ostapchuk was one of our top prospects. He's average in the AHL. He's not even a call up consideration right now. Obviously Martin thinks pretty highly of Brannstrom, otherwise he would have benched him already. You saying he isn't playing every night on another team is simply old thinking.
Why is that something to single out, he’d be on 95% of lists for near the top of our prospect group, and if he wasn’t that person likely doesn’t know what they’re taking about, like I think the above comment shows. He is one of our top prospects, undoubtedly has the clearest and easiest route to a meaningful role in the NHL among our prospects not named Kleven, have you seen our group?

He legitimately just had Brannstrom dressed as a forward on a team with Hamonic and JBD dressed…what do you think that means, that’s he’s pumped to dress Brannstrom? :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: GCK

DylanSensFan

Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Why is that something to single out, he’d be on 95% of lists for near the top of our prospect group, and if he wasn’t that person likely doesn’t know what they’re taking about, like I think the above comment shows. He is one of our top prospects, undoubtedly has the clearest and easiest route to a meaningful role in the NHL among our prospects not named Kleven, have you seen our group?

He legitimately just had Brannstrom dressed as a forward on a team with Hamonic and JBD dressed…what do you think that means, that’s he’s pumped to dress Brannstrom? :laugh:

I hope you're right about Ostapchuck. I hope the board is. But one thing I know about this board is that we oftentimes jump the gun. Brown was a good example. One thing Ostapchuck is missing is skating. Probably one of the reasons players like Smejkal, undersized Chartier, Jarventie and others have been called up before Zack relates to skating. Zack is just the type of player the Senators need in their bottom six. Skating is also a criticism against JBD, although lately It seems like an asset.

Brannstrom is in tonight and JBD is likely going to sit. So Martin is either trying to sell Brannstrom or he thinks Brannstrom is a worthwhile player. We'll see which one it is as the season plays out.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I hope you're right about Ostapchuck. I hope the board is. But one thing I know about this board is that we oftentimes jump the gun. Brown was a good example. One thing Ostapchuck is missing is skating. Probably one of the reasons players like Smejkal, undersized Chartier, Jarventie and others have been called up before Zack relates to skating. Zack is just the type of player the Senators need in their bottom six. Skating is also a criticism against JBD, although lately It seems like an asset.

Brannstrom is in tonight and JBD is likely going to sit. So Martin is either trying to sell Brannstrom or he thinks Brannstrom is a worthwhile player. We'll see which one it is as the season plays out.
Skating? He's a very good skater, especially at 6'3 215, it's one of the reasons he's a sure fire prospect.

The reason Ostapchuk hasn't been called up is because he's in his first pro season, is adjusting and learning his game, ands needs to get playing time in pro which he has done an extremely good job at thus far. Guys with a future you want playing don't get called up for 5 minutes of icetime.

When you have multiple guys that aren't everyday NHLers or whom you don't want to be playing, of which we have 3 on the backend currently, guys are going to be playing, because they have to.

Reactions: Dionysus

DylanSensFan

Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Skating? He's a very good skater, especially at 6'3 215, it's one of the reasons he's a sure fire prospect.

The reason Ostapchuk hasn't been called up is because he's in his first pro season, is adjusting and learning his game, ands needs to get playing time in pro which he has done an extremely good job at thus far. Guys with a future you want playing don't get called up for 5 minutes of icetime.

When you have multiple guys that aren't everyday NHLers or whom you don't want to be playing, of which we have 3 on the backend currently, guys are going to be playing, because they have to.
I would say his intelligence is the reason he's a top prospect, similar to why Brannstrom is an NHL player. Both have brains. Ostapchuck has good edge work, but his speed needs to come up multiple notches to be effective in the NHL.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I would say his intelligence is the reason he's a top prospect, similar to why Brannstrom is an NHL player. Both have brains. Ostapchuck has good edge work, but his speed needs to come up multiple notches to be effective in the NHL.
His speed and skating is more than fine for the role he will be playing guys that size that can skate like he does, with the motor he has, are not very common, and are very valuable.

It's legitimately one of his best assets, he had a highlight reel shorty a few weeks ago where he went the length of the ice with incredible skating from the boards to the slot. That kind of skating isn't common for guys that size.

One of the reasons he's been able to produce SH goals is because he can fly down the wing and beat guys to the net with his skating

Last edited:

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
His speed and skating is more than fine for the role he will be playing guys that size that can skate like he does are not very common, and are very valuable.

It's legitimately one of his best assets, he had a highlight reel shorty a few weeks ago where he went the length of the ice with incredible skating from the boards to the slot. That kind of skating isn't common for guys that size.

One of the reasons he's been able to produce SH goals is because he can fly down the wing and beat guys to the net with his skating

Watched him live last year in the WHL. Was big and fast at that level for sure. PK, PP, very good straight ahead speed against junior players.

He also had 5 points, so it was a good night to catch him on.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Can he at least become our Tobias Enstrom now that he's on the right side?
At least?

Enstrom was a 24 minute a night guy who played in all situations and put up 40 points a season, with a few 50 point seasons. Nothing we have seen indicates Brannstrom can do any of what Enstrom did.

We'd be more than thrilled if he became like Enstrom

Reactions: bert

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I agree that Brannstrom likely never reaches Enstrom's calibre of play. However, Enstrom's 50 point seasons were heavily weighted in favour of the PP. Those Atlanta teams were god-awful on the blue line and he one of two options for the PP (which mostly played 2 D in those days). His best season at even strength saw him get 30 points, which is just a shade over Brannstrom's pace this year. And that was in Enstrom's 26 year old season.

Brannstrom likely won't be on the team next year but he's better than many are giving him credit for. For sure I'd be over the moon if he turned into Enstrom for us but it's not totally out of the realm of possibility.

DylanSensFan

Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
His speed and skating is more than fine for the role he will be playing guys that size that can skate like he does, with the motor he has, are not very common, and are very valuable.

I could be wrong. What I saw from him during the pre-season against NHL/AHL players is that he needed to work on his foot speed and his overall speed. Again, he is big and so maybe it just looked to me like his skating was lumbering and slow. I haven't looked at his work in recent months. I could be completely off the mark. After looking at his age, he is only twenty.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I agree that Brannstrom likely never reaches Enstrom's calibre of play. However, Enstrom's 50 point seasons were heavily weighted in favour of the PP. Those Atlanta teams were god-awful on the blue line and he one of two options for the PP (which mostly played 2 D in those days). His best season at even strength saw him get 30 points, which is just a shade over Brannstrom's pace this year. And that was in Enstrom's 26 year old season.

Brannstrom likely won't be on the team next year but he's better than many are giving him credit for. For sure I'd be over the moon if he turned into Enstrom for us but it's not totally out of the realm of possibility.
branny is a guy that will instantly go elsewhere and get points just due to opportunity and PP time. Its clear as day actually. Our previous GM was just poor at roster construction where we have 3 LD and 2 of them who will play on the PP before him on any given night.

We have seen Branny excel when Chabby goes down the last two seasons. branny is in a shitty situation cause people point out his flaws because they want him to be 6'3 when the actual 6'3 players like Hamonic are pretty piss poor

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
branny is a guy that will instantly go elsewhere and get points just due to opportunity and PP time. Its clear as day actually. Our previous GM was just poor at roster construction where we have 3 LD and 2 of them who will play on the PP before him on any given night.

We have seen Branny excel when Chabby goes down the last two seasons. branny is in a shitty situation cause people point out his flaws because they want him to be 6'3 when the actual 6'3 players like Hamonic are pretty piss poor
I hope you are correct because he is a fantastic guy, but I have massive doubts.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I hope you are correct because he is a fantastic guy, but I have massive doubts.
its incredibly hard to be effective in a role that he is not made for while getting limited ice time. It was always the same under DJ and now with Chychrun here its almost impossible for him to get there.

I am glad he gets to play at RD but I think the ship has sailed in the sense that he would do much better on another team where he can start fresh where the organization believe in his abilities

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
He was the one he chose to play forward....

I dont think he thinks very highly of him or he would have kept him on defense. I think Martin is just a smart hockey guy and knows he has NHL skill and wants to put him in a position to succeed. He's a versatail player, and Martin in the second game Brann was up front used him on D to push the pace when they were down. Smart coaching overall.

I dont see Brannstrom as a player that comes out of the line up just one they can move around. I think he will be playing D tonight.

What team is he going to that he is going to have ample PP time? Id love to know. He wont be playing D on a team that is competitive. No play off teams have D men like him. Maybe he ends up on a team that likes going 11-7 and he gets shifts on forward and some 2nd pp unit time. Pretty much what he is turning into here.

His shot really limits him. He's not a threat from the point.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
At least?

Enstrom was a 24 minute a night guy who played in all situations and put up 40 points a season, with a few 50 point seasons. Nothing we have seen indicates Brannstrom can do any of what Enstrom did.

We'd be more than thrilled if he became like Enstrom
Enstrom skated much better and had a way better shot. Its kinda strange posters cant see what Brannstrom is at this point. The sample size is large, useful utility depth player. Not a d man on a playoff team unless they run into lots of injuries.

Reactions: BondraTime

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I dont think he thinks very highly of him or he would have kept him on defense.
I think Brannstrom was the only option to move up. The top 4 arent moving up and no way JBD or Hamonic could play W. It's amazing he had such a good game and it speaks to his IQ and just being a good hockey player, period.
I think Martin is just a smart hockey guy and knows he has NHL skill and wants to put him in a position to succeed. He's a versatail player, and Martin in the second game Brann was up front used him on D to push the pace when they were down. Smart coaching overall.
I agree with this. Good move and usage of players.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I could be wrong. What I saw from him during the pre-season against NHL/AHL players is that he needed to work on his foot speed and his overall speed. Again, he is big and so maybe it just looked to me like his skating was lumbering and slow. I haven't looked at his work in recent months. I could be completely off the mark. After looking at his age, he is only twenty.
I like what I am seeing from him and what I saw from him in junior. Not sure what your expectations are when someone says they are a good prospect. I mean he could be a good 3rd line / Bottom 6 prospect .. that can improve this hockey team. He is a smart player, good size, plays the right way and he can get up and down the ice. He is not a top 6 high point producing type of prospect. He has been a coaches dream through junior and he helps teams win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad