Traded Erik Brännström - D - Part III

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
you guys are putting too much importance to points and ignoring that Brannstrom is actually a positive on the defensive side and in breaking the puck out.

i mean if brannstrom is barely an NHLer, wtf does that say about Chabot and Chychrun? standout NHLers deserving of 8mill but brannstrom should be out of the league?

our best pair this year has been Brannstrom-Zub, no accident.

RickyLafleur

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Was Brent Burns pouting when he got played at forward? Was Byfuglien? Did Boro let his pride be hurt when Cameron asked him to play up front?

Would he still have his pride if he were sitting in the pressbox instead of playing fwd and getting praised for his game?

You can take it as an insult, or you can recognize they'd rather have you in the lineup contributing, than on the outside looking in.
Brent Burns, Dustin Byfuglien >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Brannstrom>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Boro
Lol Boro was a 3rd pairing scrub devoid of offense who got put on the top line because DC was a complete goof who had no idea how to coach professionals. Brannstrom will demand a trade because he's never been put in a position to succeed while a member of the Ottawa Senators. To think we traded away the heir to Alfie in Mark Stone for a midget who will never amount to his draft position is pretty depressing.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I mean, he did so it, and played well and played hard, so on the ice, it's there. Can't hide that he'd rather play D though.
I agree his play did not show that he'd rather be playing D.. He gave it his all and his play did embrace Team First. I guess I'd just like his comment to be the same.. tow the line so to speak.

I think we may see him come in on D as soon as the next game. His underlying numbers are really pretty good. We know his limitations physically but the alternatives on RD don't exactly make great arguments for themselves. Maybe it should be opponent based. Big Heavy forecheck teams he moves up for example.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Was Brent Burns pouting when he got played at forward? Was Byfuglien? Did Boro let his pride be hurt when Cameron asked him to play up front?

Would he still have his pride if he were sitting in the pressbox instead of playing fwd and getting praised for his game?

You can take it as an insult, or you can recognize they'd rather have you in the lineup contributing, than on the outside looking in.
I don't disagree with anything you wrote. I just explained what his point of view might be.

And I think Brent Burns was still entry level as was Boro. But your point is yes, he has to do what it takes to stay in the lineup and contribute. I was simply responding why his face was as it was after a victory.

Reactions: Micklebot

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I agree his play did not show that he'd rather be playing D.. He gave it his all and his play did embrace Team First. I guess I'd just like his comment to be the same.. tow the line so to speak.
So you want him to lie and say he would rather play F? I'm not seeing what the issue is?

I doubt anyone in the org had any 2nd thoughts about his interview.

Slow news day on HF!

Reactions: Emrasie

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Branny just gets the job done on D. It may not be pretty, sure he gets outmuscled, but the little bugger uses everything he got to get the puck back, and more importantly transition smoothly out of the zone. Who cares if Hamonic or JBD can hold off a forward and occasionally even get the puck back, if it's to give it away immediately after?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Brent Burns, Dustin Byfuglien >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Brannstrom>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Boro
Lol Boro was a 3rd pairing scrub devoid of offense who got put on the top line because DC was a complete goof who had no idea how to coach professionals. Brannstrom will demand a trade because he's never been put in a position to succeed while a member of the Ottawa Senators. To think we traded away the heir to Alfie in Mark Stone for a midget who will never amount to his draft position is pretty depressing.
Boro career high, 7 goals, 18 pts in 53 games playing third pair, getting 36% Oz start with DeMelo and no pp time.

Brannstrom career high, 2g and 18 pts in 74 games with 55 OZ starts,

Kind of funny when you put them side by side...

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
So you want him to lie and say he would rather play F? I'm not seeing what the issue is?

I doubt anyone in the org had any 2nd thoughts about his interview.

Slow news day on HF!
Yes ... IE its not about me , its about the team. I have the ability to have an opinion outside what the org may or may not have 2nd thoughts on. But I appreciate being informed on what the org is thinking and not saying
Slow news days are good to keep up to date on that.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Boro career high, 7 goals, 18 pts in 53 games playing third pair, getting 36% Oz start with DeMelo and no pp time.

Brannstrom career high, 2g and 18 pts in 74 games with 55 OZ starts,

Kind of funny when you put them side by side...

Brannstrom is also one of the least effective PP players in recent memory.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Yes ... IE its not about me , its about the team. I have the ability to have an opinion outside what the org may or may not have 2nd thoughts on. But I appreciate being informed on what the org is thinking and not saying
Slow news days are good to keep up to date on that.
Similarly, my post wasn't about you specifically, but the general idea.

Obviously you are free to have your opinion. I thought I was just joining the discussion.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Similarly, my post wasn't about you specifically, but the general idea.

Obviously you are free to have your opinion. I thought I was just joining the discussion.
To be clear I did not mean ME as in ME .. but the attitude I want to see from Brannstrom and its more about the message that I would like to see from all players.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
you guys are putting too much importance to points and ignoring that Brannstrom is actually a positive on the defensive side and in breaking the puck out.

i mean if brannstrom is barely an NHLer, wtf does that say about Chabot and Chychrun? standout NHLers deserving of 8mill but brannstrom should be out of the league?

our best pair this year has been Brannstrom-Zub, no accident.
He shouldn’t be out of the league, he’s a guy you want playing 55 games a year for 15 minutes a night, which he’s likely transitioning to as soon as he’s out of Ottawa.

There’s no comparison to Chabot or Chycrun, the gap is almost insurmountable.

Reactions: h2 and NyQuil

RickyLafleur

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Hey guys,

Remember when Dorion got Brännström from Vegas for Stone, he was all pumped and excited about how great of a deal it was. Given now Brännström is essentially a non-factor in the Sens core, anyone know what happened? Why all the hype at the outset and how did he fizzle so badly relative to that hype?
Brannstrom was never good and Dorion got hoodwinked by Vegas. He decided to hype him up so the fanbase didn't think we would get robbed, which we did. What a miracle that Dorion's proudest day as GM involved shipping out Alfie's replacement and the heart and soul of the team for a run-of-the-mill third-pairing offensive guy who provides no offense.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Brannstrom was never good and Dorion got hoodwinked by Vegas. He decided to hype him up so the fanbase didn't think we would get robbed, which we did. What a miracle that Dorion's proudest day as GM involved shipping out Alfie's replacement and the heart and soul of the team for a run-of-the-mill third-pairing offensive guy who provides no offense.
Vegas sent Dorion this

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
He shouldn’t be out of the league, he’s a guy you want playing 55 games a year for 15 minutes a night, which he’s likely transitioning to as soon as he’s out of Ottawa.

There’s no comparison to Chabot or Chycrun, the gap is almost insurmountable.

there should be no comparison between chabot and chychrun as the latter two should be much much better as they have every advantage over brannstrom in terms of skating, shooting, size, hands and yet they often times look much much dumber.

they will be paid 8mill and both have less hockey iq than Brannstrom. the 55 games a year 15 minutes a night guy. that's a problem.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

I think we may see him come in on D as soon as the next game. His underlying numbers are really pretty good. We know his limitations physically but the alternatives on RD don't exactly make great arguments for themselves. Maybe it should be opponent based. Big Heavy forecheck teams he moves up for example.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
there should be no comparison between chabot and chychrun as the latter two should be much much better as they have every advantage over brannstrom in terms of skating, shooting, size, hands and yet they often times look much much dumber.

they will be paid 8mill and both have less hockey iq than Brannstrom. the 55 games a year 15 minutes a night guy. that's a problem.
Exactly, there is no comparison between them. Any comparison made is with flawed observation imo.

Can compare him to the bottom guys, JBD, Hamonic, Kleven, Guenette. He’s better than those guys at some things, and worse at some. He’s in that group of players, at the top, of guys you don’t want in your lineup every game, or at all as a playoff team. Bottom pairing, pressbox guys. Which is perfectly fine. What he doesn’t offer, is any specialty. He’s not very good, at any aspect of the game. He’s just there. You don’t have him out on the ice offensively, defensively, to send a message, to kill a penalty.

Your bottom pairing guys should fill a role in their 16 minutes of icetime, Branstrom has none.

Chabot and Chychrun need to be better. That’s got nothing to do with Branstrom. It’s two top pairing guys against a #6/7 whom teams aren’t going to want dressed every game, including this very bad Sens

Last edited:
Reactions: Ice-Tray

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Boro was more valuable to our team then than Branny is now.

Reactions: DueDiligence

NB613

Jul 26, 2013
Ottawa
We've got only 4 issues with our D. Structure, Physicality, Hamonic, and JBD.

Only replace the “other D” if we can get a clear upgrade. No one in AHL is better than the “other D”. “Other D” = Chabot / Sanderson / Chychrun / Zub / Brannstrom.

Mark Stones Spleen

Trouba's elbow
Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
Reactions: DylanSensFan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad