Traded Erik Brännström - D - Part III

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Bernard Docker at 6 ft is good size

Brannstrom at 5 ft 10 is non nhl size?

even though Bernard Docker coughs up the puck and gets overpowered more on the forecheck?

not buying it. Brannstrom is clearly an NHLer and will be in the NHL for a long time.
You actually think they're close in size?...... are you actually Watching? JBD is much better defensively it's blatantly obvious. He gets out muscled way less often.

Brannstrom is not an every day nhl d man on a good team. Not saying JBD is either but he's a better defender than Brann. He's a utility guy at this level. Yet another example of you not understanding the value of physicality and size.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
trading Branny would be moronic at this point. Trade Kubalik and wait to see how the defense shakes up under Martin for the rest of the year.

Earliest I would move Branny is at the trade deal line for a higher pick like Sandin....otherwise just wait

Branny is not really a playoff type move. I think there would be interest from younger teams or you make a deal like what Washington did last year where we take on some cap but get a good pick. Def I would wait till closer to the deadline at the earlier but most likely the summer
I'm agreeing players like Brannstrom don't play on playoff teams. Big heavy d cores win in the playoffs. Blatantly obvious but hey some are in denial. I don't think they should trade Brannstrom he's a useful Swiss army knife type player you need in this league when pressed against the cap. Kubalik is 100 % who should be traded. If there is not market for him may as well deal Tarasenko to fit Pinto in. It's gonna happen at some point this year. Why wait.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Brannstrom has no future on this team beyond this season unless we are trading Chabot or Chychrun.

But he should obviously be playing right now. Not sure why he's being compared to JBD when the obvious guy to scratch is Hamonic.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Brannstrom has no future on this team beyond this season unless we are trading Chabot or Chychrun.

But he should obviously be playing right now. Not sure why he's being compared to JBD when the obvious guy to scratch is Hamonic.

Just spitballing here, but Branny played pretty well as a forward despite having no experience at the position.

That kind of mental agility doesn’t come along very often.

Let’s say, for argument’s sake, that we do put him in net.

Are we looking at a potential Shohei Ohtani scenario here?

Imagine the buzz around Ottawa when we’ve got a guy that can play all three major positions at a mediocre level?

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Just spitballing here, but Branny played pretty well as a forward despite having no experience at the position.

That kind of mental agility doesn’t come along very often.

Let’s say, for argument’s sake, that we do put him in net.

Are we looking at a potential Shohei Ohtani scenario here?

Imagine the buzz around Ottawa when we’ve got a guy that can play all three major positions at a mediocre level?
How would Branny cover the top corners?

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Wait for the end...

I'm a bit surprised by his reaction in that interview. He just showed on the ice that he potentially has additional value to a team by being versatile enough to play wing. That's a good thing for his career. He might've just extended his NHL by a couple of years with that game....and he's angry?

Reactions: DrEasy

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I'm a bit surprised by his reaction in that interview. He just showed on the ice that he potentially has additional value to a team by being versatile enough to play wing. That's a good thing for his career. He might've just extended his NHL by a couple of years with that game....and he's angry?
It is a humiliation to any professional, yes.

Reactions: OD99

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site

If he's cheerful in that interview, the Brent Wallaces of the world will rip him for not being angry enough - "Where's your pride, man?". When he's measured in his comments (he said "it was fun" like ten times) but obviously not thrilled by the move, he gets ripped for being angry after a win. Some people just don't want him on their team, and that's that.

Reactions: barriers

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
He only has himself to blame.

He’s not good enough.

Schubert wasn’t good enough. Originally, Phillips wasn’t good enough.

You need a little self-awareness to recognize that your NHL career as a defenceman is very much in jeopardy, and that it has nothing to do with the coach or the GM or who your partner is or how bad your team is.

We are here squabbling over whether Brannstrom, JBD or Hamonic should be in the line-up when the truth is that they are all marginal NHLers who might be sheltered on a really good team but instead are viciously exposed on our really bad team.

In any event, he can be frustrated or upset all he wants as long as he recognizes that the biggest issue in the end is staring right back at him in the mirror.

Ghost of Jody Hull

May 20, 2022

How? Nobody thinks he's better than any of Chabot, Chychrun or Sanderson, all of whom are now healthy and play his position. He's not a RD, so he's not playing there.

How's it humiliating to show versatility and still contribute to a team? He's a replacement-level player, always will be, so the more "odd jobs" he can do, in a cap league where teams have minimal roster flexibility, the better.

Would it have been better for him to be waived and sent down to Belleville?

CorrectOpinion

Mar 8, 2016
the difference is that Brannstrom stepped up and had a positive impact. multiple times when our 8m #1 ld was injured and replaced the team barely had a drop off in play if any.

yea anyone can step in and play bad like Zaitsev, Hamonic, or JBD and Kleven. they key is to have depth that can step up and look good. that is good depth.

Also it's harder as a D to play well on a bad team that is a tire fire defensively. It's MORE impressive that Brannstrom was able to look good in the top 4 on a bad team.
What are you talking about? We were terrible without Chabot.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
You actually think they're close in size?...... are you actually Watching? JBD is much better defensively it's blatantly obvious. He gets out muscled way less often.

Brannstrom is not an every day nhl d man on a good team. Not saying JBD is either but he's a better defender than Brann. He's a utility guy at this level. Yet another example of you not understanding the value of physicality and size.
JBD is not much better defensively. At worse they are even. But much better defensively is clearly wrong.

And JBD is bigger but both he and Hamonic are way easier to forecheck than Brannstrom. That was my point. What use is size of it's not used effectively?

Brannstrom may be on his ass more than either but that's because he's way more aggressive.

I love physicality it's why Zub is one of my favourite players. But JBD and Hamonic aren't real size or physicality.

Reactions: NB613

otown

Sep 4, 2009
If you are a guy who hasn't really established himself as a full time NHL d man you do whatever you can to play and stay on the team. Versatility is a good thing. I sense his frustration was due to a lack of confidence and not being prepared to play the role. Turned out reasonably well and you have a new utility forward with a defensive mindset!

Reactions: bert

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
He's only playing because the Sens are extremely bad; no competing, or even playoff hopeful, team is going to want him dressing on a regular basis. Bottom pairing D are guys that serve a function, be that physicality, offense, or defense. Brannstrom brings none of that, he has no specialty.

They will move on this year, and he may be able to jump onto another bad team and get some minutes.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
He's only playing because the Sens are extremely bad; no competing, or even playoff hopeful, team is going to want him dressing on a regular basis. Bottom pairing D are guys that serve a function, be that physicality, offense, or defense. Brannstrom brings none of that, he has no specialty.

They will move on this year, and he may be able to jump onto another bad team and get some minutes.

He's a finesse defenceman without the offence.

The last guy I can think of who fit that mould was Patrick Wiercioch.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Most undervalued player on the team.

JBD had one of the worst games I have seen last night. Literally frozen in place with the puck before making terrible decision after terrible decision.

Brannstrom goes back to D and breaks it out cleanly several times.

He isn't going to make or break us but damn, the negativity around him is outrageous. He is a net positive when he is on the ice in his role.

h2

Mar 26, 2002
He's a finesse defenceman without the offence.

The last guy I can think of who fit that mould was Patrick Wiercioch.

I'd take him over Matt Gilroy.

He's probably the worst dman I can recall that ever laced them up for Ottawa lol (Mike Lundin was pretty bad too)

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Was Brent Burns pouting when he got played at forward? Was Byfuglien? Did Boro let his pride be hurt when Cameron asked him to play up front?

Would he still have his pride if he were sitting in the pressbox instead of playing fwd and getting praised for his game?

You can take it as an insult, or you can recognize they'd rather have you in the lineup contributing, than on the outside looking in.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
How? Nobody thinks he's better than any of Chabot, Chychrun or Sanderson, all of whom are now healthy and play his position. He's not a RD, so he's not playing there.

How's it humiliating to show versatility and still contribute to a team? He's a replacement-level player, always will be, so the more "odd jobs" he can do, in a cap league where teams have minimal roster flexibility, the better.

Would it have been better for him to be waived and sent down to Belleville?
I'm not saying that he is better than those guys. Someone asked a question about how it was humiliating, and I answered how a player would feel in his situation. He is a veteran, makes $2M a year, not an entry level guy like Phillips at the time, or a mininum contract guy like Schubert.

If you want to have a discussion on Brannstrom the player, that is a different argument. He doesn't fit, and after Chychrun never did fit, and will be gone by TDL.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Was Brent Burns pouting when he got played at forward? Was Byfuglien? Did Boro let his pride be hurt when Cameron asked him to play up front?

Would he still have his pride if he were sitting in the pressbox instead of playing fwd and getting praised for his game?

You can take it as an insult, or you can recognize they'd rather have you in the lineup contributing, than on the outside looking in.
Team first is the attitude you want. Whatever I need to do to help the team. PERIOD

Reactions: otown and DrEasy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad