Traded Erik Brännström - D - Part III

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
Brannstrom has us transitioning out of our zone well I'd say 75% of the time - I would love to see the numbers.

Chychrun also seems to do a good deal of transitioning us out well, although he does seem to have a habit I noticed against Vancouver and Calgary of reversing the puck to his partner already under pressure leading to us being hemmed in our zone a few times per game.

JBD/Kleven consistently banked hte puck out of the zone onto opponents' sticks which got really tiresome to see.

All to say, glad Branny is back.

He is breaking up plays down low and getting the puck moving north consistently. Exactly what you want from a defenceman. Noticeable difference with him back in the lineup.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Wanna see him with a new coach. So much indecisiveness from him but our breakout sucks ass

Would like to see how he plays with proper support around the ice

He’s just not a puck mover at this level. He was fine at UND, didn’t progress at the AHL level and his limitations are very evident in the NHL. The D are given a lot of freedom and much of this teams transition game is reliant on the D providing a second wave. He can’t lead a rush nor can he activate as the weakside option like others on the team. I honestly can’t remember a time where JBD gained the offensive blueline.

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
Yes, but it was not hindsight.
So you knew better than the scouts from Florida, New Jersey, Colorado, Philadelphia, Columbus, Los Angeles, and San Jose? They all chose a player weaker than Miller. But you knew?

Why are you not scouting for a pro hockey team. You obviously have the eye.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
So you knew better than the scouts from Florida, New Jersey, Colorado, Philadelphia, Columbus, Los Angeles, and San Jose? They all chose a player weaker than Miller. But you knew?

I think the difference for hindsight a lot of people will point to is, choosing a guy that was within the next 4-5 spots on universal scouting lists vs the Bouchers. When you start a guy where he was slotted and he busts e.g. Logan Brown, no hard feelings. When you reach and he doesn't pan but the guy ranked there turns into a star, that was a bad pick.

Reactions: Xspyrit and Cosmix

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011

Miller seemed to be pretty close to consensus to being the best pick (definitely among D) at 22nd. He seemed to tick a lot of boxes for us and a basically for any team.

We traded down because, if I remember, JBD was a huge favourite of our western scout. In fact I believe we were going to trade down again at 26 when our scout insisted on taking Docker.

It was a reach for sure to pass on Miller. He is, and was, a heck of a player.

Most people at the time seemed to be trusting of our scouting department though. So maybe some hindsight but also some wistfulness at not just picking the player who was pretty perfect for us.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

I'm retired.

Reactions: Xspyrit

WORLDSTARHIPHOP

Sens <<<<<<<<<< NHL
May 31, 2008
Uh...
how, that's where the coach told him to play,

why, because Chabot is back and they didn't want to scratch him.

He played real well at fwd, got third star
Yea I know, but it just seems so random. Wondering what they saw at practice to try it out

dpw

Jul 29, 2004
He's a terrible NHL defenseman.

I know he didn't sound happy about it in the interview but too bad. He's a better forward at this level.

WORLDSTARHIPHOP

Sens <<<<<<<<<< NHL
May 31, 2008
He's a terrible NHL defenseman.

I know he didn't sound happy about it in the interview but too bad. He's a better forward at this level.
I'd argue he's much more valuable to us as a defenseman. He's actually not bad anymore this year

• Love
Reactions: NB613

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
So why was he playing forward today?
Destiny.

He was pretty darned good tonight from what I saw at the end. You know...size doesn't matter as much for a forward. And him being able to play wing definitely gives him more options and utility at this level. Definitely adds value.
He was strong on the puck and played big.

It's only one game, so we should temper our expectations, but given how well he played the would be crazy not to consider giving him a longer look at forward.

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
After one game, I am sold. Brannstrom should be a forward from now on. I'd try him out with different players... maybe with Greig and Kubalik on the 3rd line. I thought he looked great tonight.

Reactions: PlayersLtd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad