Traded Erik Brännström - D - Part III

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
Haakanpa and Lindell were 20 minute a night guys on one of the best D in the league, and Harley has taken over a top 4 spot this year and is playing 19+ a night. Brännström barely saw 10 minutes last game, all his starts were in the offensive zone, and isn’t going to his 15 minutes avg this season without a significant injury.

you realize that DJ sat Zub for like 8 games in favour of Coburn, Gudbranson and Zaitsev. In a shortened season.

and that he broke Chabot by playing him 26 minutes even though it was obvious that he couldn't handle those minutes,

and that he still thinks Chabot is his #1 PPQB on a team that has Chychrun and Sanderson

and concerning Brannstrom that he has repeatedly proven he can play higher minutes in the top 4 and succeed and help the team succeed.

so DJ keeping his minutes low to bash Chabots brain into a coma with high minutes wasn't ever logically sound.

DJ's minute allocations isn't what you should be using as proof of ability or not.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
you realize that DJ sat Zub for like 8 games in favour of Coburn, Gudbranson and Zaitsev. In a shortened season.

and that he broke Chabot by playing him 26 minutes even though it was obvious that he couldn't handle those minutes,

and that he still thinks Chabot is his #1 PPQB on a team that has Chychrun and Sanderson

and concerning Brannstrom that he has repeatedly proven he can play higher minutes in the top 4 and succeed and help the team succeed.

so DJ keeping his minutes low to bash Chabots brain into a coma with high minutes wasn't ever logically sound.

DJ's minute allocations isn't what you should be using as proof of ability or not.
Brannstrom got run over last game. Multiple turnovers and got outmuscled on the cycle. Thats why he isnt a top 4 D man, that was playoff style hockey and he showed exactly why teams that go deep dont have undersized d men who are average skaters. Every D man except Zub got exposed at one point or another last game.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Every D man except Zub got exposed at one point or another last game.

I know Carolina is a very good team but to me the bolded in your post is very alarming. It signals to me that our D-zone schemes aren't up to scratch. To me the breakouts are particularly bad. The won't use the middle of the ice. The gaps between forwards and D are rarely on point and consistently inconsistent.

You compare our breakouts to a team like Carolina and it's night and day. They make a series of short passes and a 5 man unit skating the puck out and through the neutral zone. Allows them to apply pressure in the O-zone right away. While our RW is often almost as low as the hash marks while our LW is at the other team's blue line. Meanwhile both our D are within 6 feet of the boards on ~80% of the breakouts. Center never seems to be an option for some reason on the first pass. So what do we get? Hail Mary 60, 80 and 100 foot passes that get closed on by solid teams like Carolina. No controlled possession exiting our zone or entering theirs. No support for the one forward who is way ahead of the others!!!!!

OK... I gotta stop. I'm ranting but this shit drives me crazy and it's been the same thing for 3+ years now.

Reactions: chipsens

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Interesting that Dreger says Dorion has been trying to move Joseph or Brannstrom to make cap room. I think Branny at 2M is a tough pill.
You don't even get two million in savings, though, because you then have to bring up another player at NHL minimum. That means a Brannstrom trade nets you a little over a million in cap space.

This is all of Dorion's making, but I'm not sure we appreciate just how much of a hole he is in. There are only about five teams around the league who have the cap space to take on another contract without giving one back - Arizona, Chicago, Nashville, Anaheim, and for this year only Buffalo. Obviously you aren't giving a player to a division rival, so that leaves the four teams in the West. (A possibility is Columbus, who have a little over three million in space and just had Werenski go down.) We keep talking about Philly but they don't have much space either, and would have to do some cap gymnastics of their own if they acquired Joseph.

Chicago and Anaheim aren't even trying to win. (Neither are the Sharks, but their cap situation is a little tighter.) Would Arizona or Nashville want a free player? Maybe, but keep in mind that Joseph has term, and no one wants to take on term right now.

The cleanest, easiest solution is putting Norris on LTIR. He's about to miss his second and third games of the season already this weekend - this should have been done already. It's a lot smarter than giving away an asset AND a high pick...

Reactions: Bileur and Emrasie

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I know Carolina is a very good team but to me the bolded in your post is very alarming. It signals to me that our D-zone schemes aren't up to scratch. To me the breakouts are particularly bad. The won't use the middle of the ice. The gaps between forwards and D are rarely on point and consistently inconsistent.

You compare our breakouts to a team like Carolina and it's night and day. They make a series of short passes and a 5 man unit skating the puck out and through the neutral zone. Allows them to apply pressure in the O-zone right away. While our RW is often almost as low as the hash marks while our LW is at the other team's blue line. Meanwhile both our D are within 6 feet of the boards on ~80% of the breakouts. Center never seems to be an option for some reason on the first pass. So what do we get? Hail Mary 60, 80 and 100 foot passes that get closed on by solid teams like Carolina. No controlled possession exiting our zone or entering theirs. No support for the one forward who is way ahead of the others!!!!!

OK... I gotta stop. I'm ranting but this shit drives me crazy and it's been the same thing for 3+ years now.
I dont think this has to do with schemes. I think it has everything to do with playing a team that plays a heavy playoff style game and maybe the personel that cant handle that type of game yet. Maybe they will but until they experience it we dont really know. Chych hasnt played in the playoffs yet neither has Chabot or Sanderson. I think they have the skillsets to play it but its a learning curve. There is no replace of it until it happens.

Brannstrom though he had a tough time with the physicality I unfortunately noticed. There is no suprise that Vegas was so good last year in the playoffs with that type of D core its what wins. I think the sens are missing a second heavy physical right handed shot D man. I would be open to moving Chabot or Chychrun for that type of player. I like Brann on the third pair but they are missing another Zub type.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
You don't even get two million in savings, though, because you then have to bring up another player at NHL minimum. That means a Brannstrom trade nets you a little over a million in cap space.

This is all of Dorion's making, but I'm not sure we appreciate just how much of a hole he is in. There are only about five teams around the league who have the cap space to take on another contract without giving one back - Arizona, Chicago, Nashville, Anaheim, and for this year only Buffalo. Obviously you aren't giving a player to a division rival, so that leaves the four teams in the West. (A possibility is Columbus, who have a little over three million in space and just had Werenski go down.) We keep talking about Philly but they don't have much space either, and would have to do some cap gymnastics of their own if they acquired Joseph.

Chicago and Anaheim aren't even trying to win. (Neither are the Sharks, but their cap situation is a little tighter.) Would Arizona or Nashville want a free player? Maybe, but keep in mind that Joseph has term, and no one wants to take on term right now.

The cleanest, easiest solution is putting Norris on LTIR. He's about to miss his second and third games of the season already this weekend - this should have been done already. It's a lot smarter than giving away an asset AND a high pick...
If he’s not ready can backdate LTIR, that’s why he’s not on it yet, in case he’s ready before early November.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I dont think this has to do with schemes. I think it has everything to do with playing a team that plays a heavy playoff style game and maybe the personel that cant handle that type of game yet. Maybe they will but until they experience it we dont really know. Chych hasnt played in the playoffs yet neither has Chabot or Sanderson. I think they have the skillsets to play it but its a learning curve. There is no replace of it until it happens.

Brannstrom though he had a tough time with the physicality I unfortunately noticed. There is no suprise that Vegas was so good last year in the playoffs with that type of D core its what wins. I think the sens are missing a second heavy physical right handed shot D man. I would be open to moving Chabot or Chychrun for that type of player. I like Brann on the third pair but they are missing another Zub type.

I agree. Prime Hamonic even would have been nice on this team.

But I'm not buying Carolina's style being the only reason our personnel struggled. We've seen this play out against all sorts of teams over the last 3+ years. Including against some pretty weak teams during our "meaningful" games stretch last year.

I don't expect you or everyone else to share this but I'm of the opinion that our players are not being put in a position to succeed. And that's the job of a good coaching staff. The day can't come soon enough when we have a GM who can identify and manage NHL talent, both in players and coaches.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Brannstrom gets the 6th minutes regardless, not 5th. Like last year.

It’s not what I’m using, I’m using watching the player in the minutes allocated.

The minutes he’s getting is just empirical stuff right now.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I don’t think moving Brannstrom is the best move but the meltdown from the Napoleon complex society would be epically entertaining.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I think the sens are missing a second heavy physical right handed shot D man. I would be open to moving Chabot or Chychrun for that type of player. I like Brann on the third pair but they are missing another Zub type.

Wtf? I've been saying this since we got Chychrun. Move Chabot's 8aav LD for a hard to play against 4-5.5aav RD and you've been against it.

• Haha
Reactions: Loach

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
The issue with moving bran is that after factoring in his replacement it would only free up 1.3 million, we would need to do that and send Joseph to the ahl

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island

After they just signed him to an extension? This would be a terrible look.
It's clear as day that Kubalik needs to go, and Debrincat's replacement is Tarasenko
Dorion's trade to bring in Debrincat ended up being a loss, no need to make that hole bigger now

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
The issue with moving bran is that after factoring in his replacement it would only free up 1.3 million, we would need to do that and send Joseph to the ahl

Pinto joining the team would mean a forward could be sent down and a defensemen recalled.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Well, you know we get to send down Chartier who Pinto would replace too, right?

So, Brannstrom out, lets say JBD in is + 1.2 mil, chartier out adds another 775k, so 1.975 to sign Pinto with.

We could also try sending down one of Greig (because he's waivers exempt) or Kastelic (because he's been rough) and add another 50-90k or so.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Well, you know we get to send down Chartier who Pinto would replace too, right?

So, Brannstrom out, lets say JBD in is + 1.2 mil, chartier out adds another 775k, so 1.975 to sign Pinto with.

We could also try sending down one of Greig (because he's waivers exempt) or Kastelic (because he's been rough) and add another 50-90k or so.
That's a good point, was looking at dollars purely and didn't follow it all the way through

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Wtf? I've been saying this since we got Chychrun. Move Chabot's 8aav LD for a hard to play against 4-5.5aav RD and you've been against it.
Yes you have tunnel vision about Chabot we know that. You also suggest Brannstrom can fill his role which is absolutely not the case he's too small and too slow to handle top 4 minutes on a contender.

Reactions: aragorn

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I love Brannstrom, and he can be effective in regular season, but he was tossed around last game and will 100% continue to do so in playoffs.

If we are going to move an asset to get rid of someone, it should be Brannstrom and sweeten the pot to get a D in return we can use.

Of our roster, it is very clear that if we were in playoff position come trade deadline, the asset would be used on a depth d man.

Reactions: Joeyjoejoe

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
My main issue with moving Brann is the effect on Kleven. Kleven isn't ready for a full time role in Ottawa and I don't want to throw him in before he's ready. Some guys can recover from accelerated development...and some can't. We have a very thin prospect stable right now and we really can't afford to screw up with the handful of legit kids we have left. If we want to have a good contention window, we need a steady pipeline and cheap contracts that come with it.

Brann is what he is at this point. He's a decent 3rd pairing who doesn't hurt the team in a top 4 role. That does have value. Especially in a tight cap with little replacements and having two guys in Chabot and Chych who do have significant injury histories.

Reactions: NB613

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Yes you have tunnel vision about Chabot we know that. You also suggest Brannstrom can fill his role which is absolutely not the case he's too small and too slow to handle top 4 minutes on a contender.
No, I've never suggested that Brannstrom can fill this role. I've suggested he looks great when given top 4 minutes as have many others. But I've never said we should roll that way. I've said move the 8M AAV LD for 5M AAV RD. Use the 3M elsewhere.

How would we look right now with the hard to play against right hand defenceman, Pinto dressed, probably 1M in cap space?

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
Hockey trade. Chabby out, for less expensive younger D...create cap space. Sign Pinto. Yay!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad