Traded Erik Brännström - D - Part III

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
How many defenceman can you find in the league who have proven they can step into the top 4, and actually raise their game when they do, for only 2 mill?
I think there is a pretty big difference of moving into a top 4 role on a rebuilding team than on a playoff contender. He hasnt proven that yet and if/when he plays a playoff game I will be cautiously optimistic. But D men his size have not done well in recent memory, better more mobile players than him have really struggled.

That being said I like him on the 3rd pairing as long as he has a big physical guy with him.

Reactions: aragorn

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
"Brannstrom haters" are just people who never played the game or just don't understand it that much. At least not in the modern hockey way.

I'm not going to give a lot of credibility to people who don't think Brannstrom is good at this thing called hockey.

At some point, it's time to put cognitive bias aside, sure he's no Karlsson (like some overhyped him to be?), sure he's no Mark Stone (it's a Dorion trade) and he's only 5'10... but he's still pretty good

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
All game I was thinking he needs to play heavier and with more drive towards the net. He’s too weak and too small. Sure he looks ok out there but I don’t need to see him around anymore BECAUSE, we can do better. Trade him if possible.

What the hell are you watching? He's had a very good camp lol.

The hate-on some of you on here still have for Branny despite him improving steadily is getting highly embarrassing.

Reactions: Bileur

Emrasie

Mar 13, 2019
real question should be why does it bother you that much? Let it go a couple months, you'll thanks me later.
His question is on point at the contrary, you watch the pre season and thats your analyse about EB, we can do better than him as a 5-6th D? Sure..

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Glad he made the team again.

Branny has really worked on his game. He is playing more to his strengths. His defensive game has improved significantly over the past couple seasons.
He really wasn't in danger of not making the team. Other than getting traded, he was going to be our #5D.

What I found interesting is how DJ played Bran/Hamonic as the #3D pair until the 2nd period and then we started to slow them down and play more even hockey.

He really stepped up and played very well against a legit NHL lineup.

Reactions: Bileur

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
All game I was thinking he needs to play heavier and with more drive towards the net. He’s too weak and too small. Sure he looks ok out there but I don’t need to see him around anymore BECAUSE, we can do better. Trade him if possible.
Are you being sarcastic ? Brannstrom has been solid and having him here gives Klevin a full year to further develop.

R2010

May 23, 2011
Brannstrom at 6'1 or 6'2 with his current skillset and playing style would be a super valuable top 4 d-man. He's just always going to have to face that uphill battle because he's not dynamic enough to be a top 4 dman at his size. Good player though.

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
I think Brannstrom could be a top 4 with a strong partner, and is a great stop gap this year that can play both sides if someone in the top 4 goes down...which IS going to happen.

But the real measure of his worth to the team is when you look at all the other D we have in the system. He's head and shoulders above them all right now and only Kleven could challenge for the bottom pairing. Kleven needs some seasoning.

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
He really wasn't in danger of not making the team. Other than getting traded, he was going to be our #5D.

What I found interesting is how DJ played Bran/Hamonic as the #3D pair until the 2nd period and then we started to slow them down and play more even hockey.

He really stepped up and played very well against a legit NHL lineup.
Are they going to be bottom 5 again this year?

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
been always a believer in Branny since his world junior days. He will be a top 4 D somewhere in the league I just hope we can keep him for as long as possible.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
I find it a little bit naive how people keep moving the goalposts on Brannstrom once he meets or exceeds expectations. Now it's that he won't/wouldn't be a top 4 on a good team and that he won't be a point producer.

I for one am confident that both of those are false and I don't know why people think his ascension will stop somewhere around where he is now considering that his career is becoming more and more defined by proving people wrong.

This is a very intelligent player that keeps progressing and getting the most out of his skill set. I think he is just scratching the surface and we will see him push his ceiling higher and higher year after year.

Not sure why people were so impatient. Small dmen are up there with goalies as the last to cement their spots in the NHL. All we should have been looking at is progress and adaptation and every time he got the chance he showed both. No one should be surprised that he is knocking on the door of being a legitimate top 4 NHLer at this point.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Are they going to be bottom 5 again this year?
Probably, but they still have some high end skill players. We had Branny/Hamonic as our 2 NHL D against the Habs regular lineup (minus Guele).

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
"Brannstrom haters" are just people who never played the game or just don't understand it that much. At least not in the modern hockey way.

I'm not going to give a lot of credibility to people who don't think Brannstrom is good at this thing called hockey.

At some point, it's time to put cognitive bias aside, sure he's no Karlsson (like some overhyped him to be?), sure he's no Mark Stone (it's a Dorion trade) and he's only 5'10... but he's still pretty good
He's likely 5'8 on skates. He's good, and an NHL player no doubt. He just lacks the typical long stick and D man has, he's not as physical weak as people make him out to be, I bet his center of gravity is off the charts. Having Branny on the 3rd pairing is a really positive thing. He won't meet the expectations people had on him, but he's going to be a servicable D in the league. I just wished he shot more than he does.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
As always, Brannstrom continues to be a polarizing player. Part of it is that he's the return for the Stone trade. And, his size is an issue for some. But, at a minimum, he's a decent 3rd pair defender, who can step up (elevated role) when required. It's not like his salary is huge either.

Reactions: Cosmix

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
As always, Brannstrom continues to be a polarizing player. Part of it is that he's the return for the Stone trade. And, his size is an issue for some. But, at a minimum, he's a decent 3rd pair defender, who can step up (elevated role) when required. It's not like his salary is huge either.

Good depth player to have, can skate, can fill in on the PP and do a good job, can move up and down the pairings, omay both sides of the ice. can carry the puck for you and likes to play a solid game all over the ice. Good teammate

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
He's likely 5'8 on skates. He's good, and an NHL player no doubt. He just lacks the typical long stick and D man has, he's not as physical weak as people make him out to be, I bet his center of gravity is off the charts. Having Branny on the 3rd pairing is a really positive thing. He won't meet the expectations people had on him, but he's going to be a servicable D in the league. I just wished he shot more than he does.

EP has him at 5'10", Hockeydb has him at 5'10", NHL.com has him at 5'10", Hockey Reference has him at 5'10"

I don't see how it's possible to "cheat" a player size...

But agreed with the rest. Even if he doesn't have the ideal size, he more than makes up for it with his quickness and smarts.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
EP has him at 5'10", Hockeydb has him at 5'10", NHL.com has him at 5'10", Hockey Reference has him at 5'10"

I don't see how it's possible to "cheat" a player size...

But agreed with the rest. Even if he doesn't have the ideal size, he more than makes up for it with his quickness and smarts.
Id say 5'10 is generous he's probably like 5'9 and they are rounding up. Im 6'1 and when I have seen him he is substantially smaller. He's an important player for this team, he likely plays half his games in the teams top 4 this year.

Reactions: Xspyrit

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Brannstrom will likely either "earn" his way off the team or just leave as an FA. But til then he will almost definitely be our best D outside of our top 4 and a very nice player to have.
Id say 5'10 is generous he's probably like 5'9 and they are rounding up. Im 6'1 and when I have seen him he is substantially smaller. He's an important player for this team, he likely plays half his games in the teams top 4 this year.
I'd be pretty surprised if he's a full 5'9. Chatted in an elevator with him while he was in a bathrobe & slippers (and he's shaped like a bullet) so maybe my perception was skewed but wouldnt be surprised if he's just a cut above 5'8 flat. Was about 2yrs ago so I doubt he was still growing

Last edited:

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary

I've never played hockey, really. But then I'm also not a Branny hater. He's always had wheels and brains. All he needed to do was build the core strength. I think we are seeing crosby-core Brannstrom.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I've never played hockey, really. But then I'm also not a Branny hater. He's always had wheels and brains. All he needed to do was build the core strength. I think we are seeing crosby-core Brannstrom.

You don't necessarily need to have played the game, I met a guy from this board who never did and has a pretty good understanding of the game, haven't seen him post in a while though. I know he became a dad so it's kinda normal lol

• Haha
Reactions: DylanSensFan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad