Traded Erik Brännström - D - Part III

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Brannstrom scored a goal recently that was his first in like 2 years. He's not Brandon Montour LOL
You said small d men can’t help you in the playoffs. Pretty much each team that has advanced has “a small d man” I think. Montour just a recent example. Not saying small d men are what made them advance. But one small d man isn’t going to kill you

Montour only had 5 goals in his age 23 season.

Alright maybe not every team. But Florida has 3 6 footers. Brannstrom is 5’10. 2 inches taller.

Reactions: NB613

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I don't think you want to ice a team with 6 D under 6 fit tall. I mean 6 Makars would be alright I guess. :nod: But if you have one D, even 2 depending on how they play, it doesn't matter as long they're competent.

Can you imagine the likes of Josh Brown or Gudbranson in that BOS-FLA series? Florida would have walked them into oblivion. I'll take under-sized but mobile with puck skills over big sluggish and likes to "clear the front of the net". And sometimes you just have to fill your roster by making the choice between those types of players.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
If he’s not growing we should be concerned.
Not shrinking, he’s much shorter than Montour. Some sites have 5’10”, haha
When standing beside DBC they look the same or Branny an inch taller max.
Brannstrom was 5'9 even at the combine, not sure if he's grown since but he was one of the youngest at the draft so it's certainly possible.

FWIW, DeBrincat was 5'7 at the combine.

Last edited:

Adrianopolous

Oct 5, 2017
Delray Beach, Florida
You said small d men can’t help you in the playoffs. Pretty much each team that has advanced has “a small d man” I think. Montour just a recent example. Not saying small d men are what made them advance. But one small d man isn’t going to kill you

Montour only had 5 goals in his age 23 season.

Alright maybe not every team. But Florida has 3 6 footers. Brannstrom is 5’10. 2 inches taller.
Also Montour is 2 inches taller than Brannstrom. But I understand your point. Brannstrom has to start contributing offensively.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
if Chabot was 5 ft 10 and Brannstrom 6 ft 2 but they played the exact same way they do now.

would Brannstrom the next big thing, and Chabot a schmuck?

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
if Chabot was 5 ft 10 and Brannstrom 6 ft 2 but they played the exact same way they do now.

Let me start off my response by saying… ooof we’re at that point of the off-season aren’t we? Can’t wait for hockey to come back.

Chabot wouldn’t be a schmuck, he’d be similar to Gostisbehere.

Brannstrom would be a legit top 4 guy.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

If a 5'10 Chabot was ineffective and a 6'2 Brannstrom was effective probably. I'm not sure if you are suggesting that their results as NHL players are the same or that Chabot has had much better results because of his height advantage. Brannstrom's 4 career goals are less than Chabot has had any any single season.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Regardless of where he plays, I hope that Branny found the weight room and worked on his shot this summer. In a league where so many guys can rifle the puck, his shot wouldn't break a pane of glass. (Conversely, I find that Hamonic has a pretty underrated shot, and a knack for getting them through from the point.)

I just can't see Brannstrom hanging around long term. He is a candidate, along with Kubalik or Joseph, to get moved out now in order to make the cap situation work with Pinto. (Pinto isn't signing a one year NHL minimum contract - he is going to cost around two million at least.) On this team he is a third pairing defenceman, and the reality is that you can find a third pairing guy every off-season if you need one. Now, does he blossom into a top four guy elsewhere? Maybe, but he will never be one here, and the time to move him for an asset is now. Shane Pinto in our opening night lineup is worth more than Brannstrom on the third pairing, especially when we have a range of internal options for that role.

Reactions: aragorn

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Regardless of where he plays, I hope that Branny found the weight room and worked on his shot this summer. In a league where so many guys can rifle the puck, his shot wouldn't break a pane of glass. (Conversely, I find that Hamonic has a pretty underrated shot, and a knack for getting them through from the point.)

I just can't see Brannstrom hanging around long term. He is a candidate, along with Kubalik or Joseph, to get moved out now in order to make the cap situation work with Pinto. (Pinto isn't signing a one year NHL minimum contract - he is going to cost around two million at least.) On this team he is a third pairing defenceman, and the reality is that you can find a third pairing guy every off-season if you need one. Now, does he blossom into a top four guy elsewhere? Maybe, but he will never be one here, and the time to move him for an asset is now. Shane Pinto in our opening night lineup is worth more than Brannstrom on the third pairing, especially when we have a range of internal options for that role.

He does have a bit of a muffin. I don’t think the issue is shot power though, he needs to work on timing and placement.

Seems to me that he often hesitates, either being indecisive on shooting or trying to wind up for a hard shot. and misses the shooting lanes. We’ve got decent beef at forward, just throw the puck towards the net and let guys like Brady, Pinto and Kastelic tip/pound one in.

He’ll never be able to blast it like Kleven, he needs to more regularly float in tippable pucks like Redden used to do.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
All game I was thinking he needs to play heavier and with more drive towards the net. He’s too weak and too small. Sure he looks ok out there but I don’t need to see him around anymore BECAUSE, we can do better. Trade him if possible.

• Haha
Reactions: L'Aveuglette

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

It's almost like he's objective and doesn't feel a need to pander to certain players, posters or opinions. He calls it like he see's it and he's almost always correct.

Brannstrom was great last night and improved as the pre season went on. This teams d core is very strong 1 through 6. They'll have defined roles and will be slotted properly.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
All game I was thinking he needs to play heavier and with more drive towards the net. He’s too weak and too small. Sure he looks ok out there but I don’t need to see him around anymore BECAUSE, we can do better. Trade him if possible.

How many defenceman can you find in the league who have proven they can step into the top 4, and actually raise their game when they do, for only 2 mill?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad