Player Discussion Erik Brännström |5'10, 181lbs | Left Handed Defenceman

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
The PR stuff doesn't matter to them. They ran a big campaign last year about us being better than the pundits predicted while we sat last in the league. They shot it in November, and released it in the midst of one of our worst stretches leaving us in the bottom of the standings. One would think a last place team wouldn't release a video laughing off those who predicted the Sens to finish last, while currently sitting in last, but here we are.

I don't think they care about what is actually happening being the complete opposite of what they are marketing.

When has marketing ever really linked with the reality of ‘now’ though, in any industry. Marketing is all about upselling the illusion.

We never used to try and match up marketing and GM speak with what we see on the ice in exact terms before in here, ever. Then again we’ve been a pretty good team for a couple decades while virtually everyone else has hit rock bottom at least once.

This new behaviour of hanging off every word from the GM, and commercials, looks like a way to try and bash the team from an oblique angle (as though we need new angles! Lol), and has very little real world value, beyond providing some folks with some evidently much needed venting avenues.

I don’t think marketing for a tanking last place team is an easy job at the best of times, but when you throw in a jaded, cynical, and sensitive fan base, you have to knock it out of the park or it’s going to be used against you.

This team has a tiny staff, so whomever is in charge of that ‘department’ is not likely at the top of their game. To be fair to whomever, they likely lack the time, and workplace satisfaction for anyone to expect more from a regular Joe/Joan.

I’d like to see them take a similar approach to the on ice play when talent is low; dump and chase. Marketing right now should be low key, and stick to simple stuff that can’t be used to further mock the organization.

We should endeavour to quietly go about our business of sucking and rebuilding.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
We failed to sign Stone for two years. He could have been extended in 2017. The longer we waited, the more his value climbed.

Signing him to a 1 year deal to me seemed like a business move more than a hockey move. They probably didn't want to trade Stone and Karlsson in the same summer.

The only way it would be defensible when analyzing Dorion would be if keeping Stone for a 1 year was Melnyk's choice and not his. Otherwise, yes Dorion did well to get Brannstrom at the deadline in a bad situation, but he was the one who created that bad situation that handicapped the trade return.

Good points, but we should hesitate to assume that he could have been signed long term.

There is enough evidence league wide to show us that players say one thing and do another, and that in the end they, rightly so, look to make decisions that are best for them and theirs.

I don’t think anyone would argue that Stone signing a long term extension at any point when he could, would look even remotely like what would be best for his career.

EK and MD chose elsewhere, that much is pretty clear, and if I had to bet one way or the other, I’d bet that Stone was unlikely to sign long term at anytime during his window (EK gone, MD uncommitted, team sucking hard).

This is not a defence of anything, other than to say that I don’t see this team, hockey situation, or destination in general, as a place where veteran star players will sacrifice much to sign long term for the time being.

We have always struggled to be that team when we have been good, but in the current situation this team is a place where vets sign when they are not wanted elsewhere. No one will gamble their career here unless they are rookies assigned with rebuilding us.

Not a stone cold fact by any means, but I respect our big three choosing choice over signing long term with Ottawa. In the same situation there is no chance in hell I would have either.

When we start being good again, this will change again I think. Just my take, I welcome the existence of other ones as well :)

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Can we keep this thread on topic with Brannstrom this two page spin job directly above my post has nothing to do with him and belongs in another thread.

Ya, I may not have been clear with the Wolanin comparison, I wasn't expecting Brannstrom to do what Wolanin has done, but I expected to see some more of the things that show me he's on his way to getting there. I'll admit I've been in and out of the games on the road trip, so maybe he's doing it and I just missed it.

I agree he's getting more crafty the more he touches the puck, I think he's still in the feeling it out process. He's going to be really good I think.

I also think our D is shaping up to be really good. Wolanin makes our LD depth really strong. The sooner JBD and Thomas are ready (not to be confused with just make the team) the better in terms of where this team is going. If/When they are ready to be top 4 RD, our backend will be really impressive.

Yeah I am expecting Wolanin or Brannstrom to switch to right at some point. I also think Jaros is going to be a key contributer and a good partner for either one of them. Glad Jaros is getting minutes in the AHL, his game has a long way to go before he hits his prime. JBD and Thomson are a long way away, but thats ok so is this team.

Overall people just need more patience with Brannstrom, he makes some highly skilled plays, they are subtle but they are elite.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
We failed to sign Stone for two years. He could have been extended in 2017. The longer we waited, the more his value climbed.

Signing him to a 1 year deal to me seemed like a business move more than a hockey move. They probably didn't want to trade Stone and Karlsson in the same summer.

The only way it would be defensible when analyzing Dorion would be if keeping Stone for a 1 year was Melnyk's choice and not his. Otherwise, yes Dorion did well to get Brannstrom at the deadline in a bad situation, but he was the one who created that bad situation that handicapped the trade return.

You dont know that. You dont know the extent to which Stone had a hand in it. Dorion had to offer, Stone had to sign.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I think he has made some really crafty plays, against Minnesota he showed his patience and ability to create open shooting lanes. The more he touched the puck that day the more dangerous he became. He just needs more ice time and time to develop, its going to come.

Wolanin is 4 years older than him and far more polished offensively at this point. I think he is a true talent back there, the sens are very fortunate to have all 3 of them. Simply expecting that kind of offensive creativity out of Brannstrom right away I think is expecting alot, Wolanin isnt a run of the mill player he has serious skill.

The only thing I really feel any confidence in at all in the current state of this franchise is the D core. It will be elite, they need 2 to 3 game breakers up front, after Tkachuk there is no other first line talent in the organization.

The other thing with Brannstrom is if you measure offence in terms of games and assists there isnt much to measure. Our guys up front are collectively not getting it done. I've seen a fair bit of Brannstrom puck movement that has died on forwards sticks that should be resulting in scoring chances and goals. He is not carrying the puck like Chabot and I assume that will come with time, but the guys up front are not doing Jack with some of the quality back end puck movement

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
When has marketing ever really linked with the reality of ‘now’ though, in any industry. Marketing is all about upselling the illusion.

We never used to try and match up marketing and GM speak with what we see on the ice in exact terms before in here, ever. Then again we’ve been a pretty good team for a couple decades while virtually everyone else has hit rock bottom at least once.

This new behaviour of hanging off every word from the GM, and commercials, looks like a way to try and bash the team from an oblique angle (as though we need new angles! Lol), and has very little real world value, beyond providing some folks with some evidently much needed venting avenues.

I don’t think marketing for a tanking last place team is an easy job at the best of times, but when you throw in a jaded, cynical, and sensitive fan base, you have to knock it out of the park or it’s going to be used against you.

This team has a tiny staff, so whomever is in charge of that ‘department’ is not likely at the top of their game. To be fair to whomever, they likely lack the time, and workplace satisfaction for anyone to expect more from a regular Joe/Joan.

I’d like to see them take a similar approach to the on ice play when talent is low; dump and chase. Marketing right now should be low key, and stick to simple stuff that can’t be used to further mock the organization.

We should endeavour to quietly go about our business of sucking and rebuilding.
We have nobody in charge of that department as far as I'm aware, our Chief of Marketing quit on her own terms in August and hasn't been replaced yet.

She did a terrible job last year, so losing her isn't a back breaker or anything, but we haven't replaced her

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Can we keep this thread on topic with Brannstrom this two page spin job directly above my post has nothing to do with him and belongs in another thread.

Yeah I am expecting Wolanin or Brannstrom to switch to right at some point. I also think Jaros is going to be a key contributer and a good partner for either one of them. Glad Jaros is getting minutes in the AHL, his game has a long way to go before he hits his prime. JBD and Thomson are a long way away, but thats ok so is this team.

Overall people just need more patience with Brannstrom, he makes some highly skilled plays, they are subtle but they are elite.

JBD is interesting. The other day I heard him referred to as a lock for the WJC team. 1st rounder, WJC, i wouldnt be surprised to see him turn pro next summer and play a few NHL games next year. I'm not talking regular NHL, more like 55ish in the AHL and 15 here.

That trajectory is not uncommon

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
JBD is interesting. The other day I heard him referred to as a lock for the WJC team. 1st rounder, WJC, i wouldnt be surprised to see him turn pro next summer and play a few NHL games next year. I'm not talking regular NHL, more like 55ish in the AHL and 15 here.

He is going to get games this year in March and April as soon as UND are out of the running for the Frozen Four

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010

Oh yeah, he's a lock for World Juniors. So obviously should have been there last year that it was an embarrassment for Hockey Canada.

Seems like a pretty safe bet he's top four:

Ty Smith - Noah Dobson
Bowen Byram - Bernard-Docker
Thomas Harley - ???

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Ya that highlight looks bad, but overall he's been fine. Underwhelming offensively but I did have high expectations.

Sort of like White in that you can see what makes them good prospects but that they can't be as good as the roster needs them to be.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
Brannstrom is a good player in the making...However still super early in his career...he's surprisingly strong against opposing players in front of the net, but he gets knocked off the puck like he's a peewee player. Doesn't have a ton of speed or a dangerous shot that I've seen. He is super poised, but also looks very indecisive which he gets him into trouble, I'll give him a pass on that as I found Chabot the exact same when he first started playing. I'm sure he will be a top 4 D in the NHL for a long time. I was hoping for a #1 type guy with the hype that came with him, but that seems a bit too optimistic unfortunately.

Reactions: NB613

Emrasie

Mar 13, 2019
Ott had 2 PP vs Dallas, for 0 goal, EB played 20s on total and for the 20s, it's beginning behind his own net.
The forwards can't keep the puck near the opposite net, so the Dmen have the puck 90% of the time in the Dzone or during theirs shift they don't have the puck at all.
EB is a offensive defenseman good to drive a PP who plays almost no time on PP, send him to Belleville and play Goloubef instead because presently you are kill his confidence.

I have seen all the games and the level fell dramatically, the 6 defensemen have been good and solide considering the context but the forwards... are bad and with the puck really really bad, they can't control it or make 3 pass whithout lose the puck.
Maybe Namestnikov > the rest and sometimes Brady and White too.

But lately the goals are all Chabot.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Hopefully Wolanin comes back soon. Wolanin probably gets a few games in the AHL and once he is good to go we send Brannstrom back down.
Wolanin is not coming back any time soon. He had surgery for a shoulder landrum tear. We'll be lucky to see him by early February

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Brannstrom is a really good prospect, and I see him becoming a Ryan Ellis/Sami Vatanen type of player. A solid, 2nd pairing puck moving defenseman who's competent in his own end and can play on your top PP unit. I look at him in the same way that I look at a guy like Samuel Girard in Colorado. These are guys every team would love to have, and he'll be a solid part of the team in the future.

With that said, he's not the next Erik Karlsson. He's not a future superstar. And trading for him should not be "the proudest moment" of any GMs career.

Any overhyping is solely due to Pierre Dorion's big fat mouth, and if some are disappointed that Brannstrom is not as good as someone like Heiskanen and destined to be a perennial all-star, that's his fault.

Brannstrom would have been way better off in Vegas, but it's not his fault that a bozo GM anointed him as the next big thing because he wanted to distract people from his bungled negotiations with Mark Stone.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
If not for Wolanin's injury, Brannstrom would be in Belleville where he should be. I guess I'm disappointed because I was expecting a Quinn Hughes/Cale Makar level player, and I'm not seeing that yet. This is always the difficulty with prospects - you never know exactly how they are going to be until the moment of truth comes, and you also don't know how they will project out - is this as good as they get, or do they grow as players in their early 20s? Some guys grow and evolve, some don't.

Oh, and we don't get Wolanin back until mid-January at the very earliest. It is a four to six month recovery, and there's not a chance the doctors are clearing him to come back early after reconstructive surgery like that. I would think best case scenario would be right after the All-Star break...

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
If not for Wolanin's injury, Brannstrom would be in Belleville where he should be. I guess I'm disappointed because I was expecting a Quinn Hughes/Cale Makar level player, and I'm not seeing that yet. This is always the difficulty with prospects - you never know exactly how they are going to be until the moment of truth comes, and you also don't know how they will project out - is this as good as they get, or do they grow as players in their early 20s? Some guys grow and evolve, some don't.

Oh, and we don't get Wolanin back until mid-January at the very earliest. It is a four to six month recovery, and there's not a chance the doctors are clearing him to come back early after reconstructive surgery like that. I would think best case scenario would be right after the All-Star break...

He was never that calibre of prospect. Those guys were discussed as top 5 picks. Brannstrom was mid first round. Those guys were as can't miss as you get. Brannstrom, like any mid-first rounder, needed development.

Pierre Dorion did his best to overhype him as he tried to distract from the terrible job he's done, but that's not Brannstrom's fault.

With proper development, he can still become a solid 2nd pairing puck moving defenseman. Let's hope it happens.

To put it in comparison with the 2020 draft, Hughes/Makar are like Perfetti/Raymond, and Brannstrom is like Justin Sourdif.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
He was never that calibre of prospect. Those guys were discussed as top 5 picks. Brannstrom was mid first round. Those guys were as can't miss as you get. Brannstrom, like any mid-first rounder, needed development.

Pierre Dorion did his best to overhype him as he tried to distract from the terrible job he's done, but that's not Brannstrom's fault.

With proper development, he can still become a solid 2nd pairing puck moving defenseman. Let's hope it happens.

To put it in comparison with the 2020 draft, Hughes/Makar are like Perfetti/Raymond, and Brannstrom is like Justin Sourdif.

Fair points all. Now, people will point out that Chabot and EK were both mid-first rounders, to which one could possibly respond that so too was Curtis Lazar. I'd agree that mid-first rounders are not sure things, as one could prove by looking up the history of the first round over the last number of years. There are a lot of dudes who none of us have ever heard of who got drafted in the 10-20 range in round one, and never did squat. Brannstrom was regarded, though, as one of the best prospects not currently playing in the NHL during last year. As was pointed out already, he is moving the puck up to a bunch of guys who can't score to save their lives, so we might want to wait a couple of years before we declare him a bust as an offensive defenseman...

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
so we might want to wait a couple of years before we declare him a bust as an offensive defenseman...

Yeah it's waaaay too early to start writing off his offensive capabilities. Was Victor Hedman a bust because he could barely crack the 20 point mark until his 5th full season? Not that I think Brannstrom is the next Hedman, but patience is a virtue with young defenders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad