Player Discussion Erik Brännström |5'10, 181lbs | Left Handed Defenceman

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
I love this kid more than anyone else on these boards however I believe he should be sent down to play 20+ minutes a night and run the PP down in Belleville. He’s shown flashes however I believe he’s only up with the big team because of politics. I think he would be with Belleville by now if he didn’t get traded for Mark Stone.
Considering what we gave up, we should probably do our due diligence here and ensure he's not rushed.

Reactions: LeProspector

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012
I love this kid more than anyone else on these boards however I believe he should be sent down to play 20+ minutes a night and run the PP down in Belleville. He’s shown flashes however I believe he’s only up with the big team because of politics. I think he would be with Belleville by now if he didn’t get traded for Mark Stone.
Dunno, I think the Wolanin injury forced their hand a bit. Though I agree he could use some time in Belleville.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Dunno, I think the Wolanin injury forced their hand a bit. Though I agree he could use some time in Belleville.
I’d rather give the ice time to someone like Jaros who projects to be a bottom pairing defenceman at this level as opposed to Brannstrom. Ottawa gave him a chance, he hasn’t produced enough to warrant keeping him up. Let him rip it up with his future teammates down in Belleville.

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012
I’d rather give the ice time to someone like Jaros who projects to be a bottom pairing defenceman at this level as opposed to Brannstrom. Ottawa gave him a chance, he hasn’t produced enough to warrant keeping him up. Let him rip it up with his future teammates down in Belleville.
Actually I agree with this. Definitely some better options than forcing Bran to play up here.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I thought Brannstrom played really well in Boston - he was moving the puck really well and didn't look overwhelmed at all by Boston's pressure. I haven't seen his advanced stats, but I'm betting they look pretty good...

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Brannstrom looks fine to me. He's playing, he's not getting caved, he's holding onto the puck.

This notion that he'd develop better in the AHL isn't any kind of sure fire thing. Playing in a league where you are better than others can also cause you to learn bad habits

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
Brannstrom looks fine to me. He's playing, he's not getting caved, he's holding onto the puck.

This notion that he'd develop better in the AHL isn't any kind of sure fire thing. Playing in a league where you are better than others can also cause you to learn bad habits

Playing on team tanking this season with bunch of hacks destined for last place can cause you to learn bad habits and kill confidence.

Reactions: LeProspector

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Playing on team tanking this season with bunch of hacks destined for last place can cause you to learn bad habits and kill confidence.
Does he look to you that he is lacking confidence? Seriously....does he?

Reactions: NB613

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
How many Goals does he have again?
Your moving the goalposts....you said him playing here can kill confidence.

Watch him

Does he look like he is not confident?

You brought it up. It's a simple question.

Mark Stones Spleen

Trouba's elbow
Jan 17, 2008
T.O.

He does look good right now, but I wouldn't mind him playing an extra 6-8 minutes a game and playing on PP1.

Reactions: Icelevel

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007

Yeah it's the speed in the nhl that he hasn't caught up with I assume. Causing him to turn it over and or get forechecked heavily.

I'm not sure how the ahl would help with that.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
He looks confident, and the atmosphere around the team doesn’t look sadsack like some people are trying to make it out to be.

Some fans maybe be cheering for a tank season, but the players clearly aren’t, and there is a lot of bonding going on right now.

These kids are battling night after night and look pretty good doing it, and it looks like the vest have bought it and are busting ass as well.

It’s not exactly looking like a toxic environment for a young player in my opinion. DJ seems to have set a standard that goes across the board, and a style of play that get everyone engaged.

Sounds like EB will watch the next game and the team will go from there. I’m good with him being sent down if coaching thinks that’s best for his development, but our squad appears to be a pretty positive bunch, working on player development.

Reactions: Johnny Hanson

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Calm down dude he isn’t bad and if anything he may be sent down when wolanin comes back
Development isn’t a black and white thing . Take it game by game

Reactions: NB613

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Calm down dude he isn’t bad and if anything he may be sent down when wolanin comes back
Development isn’t a black and white thing . Take it game by game
I’m not saying he bad, not by a long stretch. It serves his development better if he’s playing in the AHL. No need to ask me to calm down, I’m the most biased person you’ll find on these boards in regard to Brannstrom.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I meant in Belleville.
ah that makes more sense. I would like to see Brannstrom become a little faster/more explosive so he can skate the puck out. He can work on it. He has been ok and he could stay up and continue to get better with his reads and adjustments. Belleville would have that advantage of a bigger role, more icetime as well as being able to do more , and as a result work on other skills. Its a tough enough call with him. I would probably send him down.

Reactions: Mark Stones Spleen

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I’m not saying he bad, not by a long stretch. It serves his development better if he’s playing in the AHL. No need to ask me to calm down, I’m the most biased person you’ll find on these boards in regard to Brannstrom.
I do think he’s one of those players who is better off learning here than the A. I am seeing big improvements week to week.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Yeah it's the speed in the nhl that he hasn't caught up with I assume. Causing him to turn it over and or get forechecked heavily.

I'm not sure how the ahl would help with that.
I see it more as a smaller player being overwhelmed at times by bigger stronger NHL players. Brannstrom certainly has the skill & it shows at times, but he has to learn to get rid of the puck a little quicker & not get himself in situations where he is going to lose a battle for the puck. If he moves the puck quicker & he seems to be doing that a little more effectively than he won't have to fight bigger guys to get the puck back or get over matched physically in the corners, along the boards & behind the net.

He takes less risks than Chabot which is a good thing & just needs to make good decisions quicker. The speed in the NHL is definitely a factor for most young players that forces them to make faster decisions with the puck & that is certainly something Brannstrom has to get better & quicker at doing. Not everyone can get better at thinking quicker under pressure, but he seems to be learning the game quickly & getting better slowly at making quicker decisions. It's not going to happen over night & we have to be a little patient with him to improve in that area more than anything else, I think the offence will come with the better decision making.

Last edited:
Reactions: SpezDispenser
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad