Player Discussion Erik Brännström |5'10, 181lbs | Left Handed Defenceman

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
I think you missed the point, Dorion had to trade Stone and was abble to catch a very good prospect on D. If no trade had occured you would have lost Stone for ****ing nothing on the FA or an average prospect.

Dorion had plenty of time to deal Mark Stone. Instead he inked him to a 1 year contract and waited until the 1 hour before the deadline to put a deal together for him.

How much do you think Stone fetches around the 2018 draft? Hint: it would be a lot more than Brannstrom.

I'm sorry but Pierre dug his own hole here. "Escaping" the shit hole he dug himself into with a guy like Brannstrom is not some kind of terrific win. It should have never gotten to that point, and that's solely on Pierre.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Dorion had plenty of time to deal Mark Stone. Instead he inked him to a 1 year contract and waited until the 1 hour before the deadline to put a deal together for him.

How much do you think Stone fetches around the 2018 draft? Hint: it would be a lot more than Brannstrom.

I'm sorry but Pierre dug his own hole here. "Escaping" the **** hole he dug himself into with a guy like Brannstrom is not some kind of terrific win. It should have never gotten to that point, and that's solely on Pierre.
This is the reason why it was such a terrible move. Lack of foresight and knowing what your employee intends to do which everyone else could see is a sign of a really poor manager

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
Definitely a disappointment so far but it’s early. I’ll give him the season to get to a point where I’m impressed and satisfied as a return for one of our best playera of all time.

Out of curiosity, what were your expectations of EB? If you were expecting EK 2.0 then you will always be disappointed. What we gave up for EB is irrelevant, MS wasn't going to sign an extension and had to be traded.

Reactions: Emrasie

Emrasie

Mar 13, 2019

I'm sorry but Pierre dug his own hole here. "Escaping" the **** hole he dug himself into with a guy like Brannstrom is not some kind of terrific win. It should have never gotten to that point, and that's solely on Pierre.

Sorry but you forget the man who give the paycheck: Melnyk.

Emrasie

Mar 13, 2019
Out of curiosity, what were your expectations of EB? If you were expecting EK 2.0 then you will always be disappointed. What we gave up for EB is irrelevant, MS wasn't going to sign an extension and had to be traded.

This.. Fans acts like if Pierre would have want EB so bad that he gave up Stone. No, one time he understand that he couln't have Stone (thanks to Melnyk) he looked for a decent trade. Other teams knew he was in a weak position, for information, before EB he asked for Glass, it was a no.

He said a foolishness with his "better day of my life" but maybe it was because at one moment he thought he would have nothing in exchange for Stone, 1h later that would have been the case.

EB is not EK 2.0, and it's unfair to expect from him excellency in this team and with this players, especially when he has almost no time on PP, that is his biggest asset as i said before.

From what have been said during his draft, that his weakness was in defense, he did well actually.

Have we seen EB & TC on the PP together yet ? What’s the worst thing that could happen ?

One time maybe or it was on 4 vs 4, i'm not sure.

Last edited:

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Sorry but you forget the man who give the paycheck: Melnyk.

Nothin to do with paychecks in this discussion. If there was no cash to sign Mark Stone, our GM should have identified that and acted accordingly during the 2018 season, before they signed him to a 1 year deal to walk him to UFA, and before 2pm on trade deadline day. If they couldn't get him done that offseason, why would it be reasonable in any world to think he would sign before the trade deadline?

The money was either there or it wasn't long before the deadline. If it wasn't there, he should have been moved in the 2018 offseason when he was still an RFA. The entirety of the Mark Stone saga and the return we received for him falls on Pierre's shoulders and his shoulders alone.

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
Brannstrom is going to be a solid Defensemen in this league, as he matures and adds some weight and muscle he will be a Top 4 D-Man forsure. However Belleville is struggling and Sens are going scary awful at times this year. I want to save Brannstrom confidence or at least let him find his offensive touch down in the AHL. Let him dominate down in the AHL for a full year and come back with renewed confidence.

The amount of losses and butt kickings we are in store for this year can't be good for any of the prospects! I am even afraid of how this is effecting White and BT!

Next year we will have more prospects ready to make the jump and play more solid of a game and less of these plugs in the line-up. Brannstrom needs to find his scoring touch and won't be with the big team this year.

saskytaxi

Feb 13, 2019
sasky
He's been fine, so take a hike.
Hahaha fine isnt what you want for top end prospects. Hes not filling in for a cup run. Its about properly developing players. Like cmmaan. To go along with dumpster atmosphere around the team. Last place he should be right now.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Hahaha fine isnt what you want for top end prospects. Hes not filling in for a cup run. Its about properly developing players. Like cmmaan. To go along with dumpster atmosphere around the team. Last place he should be right now.
Players can still develop in the NHL. Brannstrom will continue to get better as the season goes on. Let them man play against the big boys and collect his big boy pay cheque.

sooni

Oct 23, 2014
Vaasa
He needs more ice time. Hard to play with 13min toi. He deserves more. Change him at first pp already with Chabot.

Reactions: NB613

Cheapseats

Cigars N F-Bombs
Mar 2, 2004
He needs to back in Belleville away from this tire fire of a season and developing in a better environment. This current situation is only ruining him. Get him outta this mess.

Artanis

Dec 1, 2011
Ottawa
He needs to be in Belleville, not sure what getting crushed night in and night out will do for his development? Send him down, let someone Golubef play.

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
I don't think Brannstrom has been bad, and I believe that you can develop at the NHL level, so I have no problem with him staying where he is.

That said, he'd have to be completely stinking the joint up to be sent down IMO. Dorion has a lot riding on Brannstrom making an immediate impact after comments about the Stone trade being his proudest moment as GM. The team also went with "The Kids are Alright" as a marketing ploy, and the only other rookies on the team are Sabourin and Beaudin. The team likely views Brannstrom as an important marketing asset in a lost season.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Players can still develop in the NHL. Brannstrom will continue to get better as the season goes on. Let them man play against the big boys and collect his big boy pay cheque.

His intensity is good. It’s just happening a bit to fast for him, especially when he faces the play deep in his zone he seems overwhelmed on the rush he’s good because he can just dangle and be creative. I like the effort

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I don't think Brannstrom has been bad, and I believe that you can develop at the NHL level, so I have no problem with him staying where he is.

That said, he'd have to be completely stinking the joint up to be sent down IMO. Dorion has a lot riding on Brannstrom making an immediate impact after comments about the Stone trade being his proudest moment as GM. The team also went with "The Kids are Alright" as a marketing ploy, and the only other rookies on the team are Sabourin and Beaudin. The team likely views Brannstrom as an important marketing asset in a lost season.
The PR stuff doesn't matter to them. They ran a big campaign last year about us being better than the pundits predicted while we sat last in the league. They shot it in November, and released it in the midst of one of our worst stretches leaving us in the bottom of the standings. One would think a last place team wouldn't release a video laughing off those who predicted the Sens to finish last, while currently sitting in last, but here we are.

I don't think they care about what is actually happening being the complete opposite of what they are marketing.

Reactions: Alex1234

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Definitely a disappointment so far but it’s early. I’ll give him the season to get to a point where I’m impressed and satisfied as a return for one of our best playera of all time.

Your expectations are so out of wack. He is a 20 year old rookie d man on the worst team in hockey. He has been very good all things considered. Young players take a while to mature, he just played his 10th game in the NHL. You should probably give him more than a season to decide on the player too, Stone didnt even play in the NHL until he was 22.

Comparing him in any way to Stone doesnt make sense and isnt fair to Brannstrom.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

We failed to sign Stone for two years. He could have been extended in 2017. The longer we waited, the more his value climbed.

Signing him to a 1 year deal to me seemed like a business move more than a hockey move. They probably didn't want to trade Stone and Karlsson in the same summer.

The only way it would be defensible when analyzing Dorion would be if keeping Stone for a 1 year was Melnyk's choice and not his. Otherwise, yes Dorion did well to get Brannstrom at the deadline in a bad situation, but he was the one who created that bad situation that handicapped the trade return.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Your expectations are so out of wack. He is a 20 year old rookie d man on the worst team in hockey. He has been very good all things considered. Young players take a while to mature, he just played his 10th game in the NHL. You should probably give him more than a season to decide on the player too, Stone didnt even play in the NHL until he was 22.

Comparing him in any way to Stone doesnt make sense and isnt fair to Brannstrom.

I was expecting to see more offense out of him (not Karlsson type offense, but closer to a less refined Wolanin) based on my limited viewings and what I had read about him prior, but he's in a really tough position to showcase his offensive side. Defensively, I think he's exceeded my expectations. He'll be fine long term, I have no doubt.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I was expecting to see more offense out of him (not Karlsson type offense, but closer to a less refined Wolanin) based on my limited viewings and what I had read about him prior, but he's in a really tough position to showcase his offensive side. Defensively, I think he's exceeded my expectations. He'll be fine long term, I have no doubt.

I think he has made some really crafty plays, against Minnesota he showed his patience and ability to create open shooting lanes. The more he touched the puck that day the more dangerous he became. He just needs more ice time and time to develop, its going to come.

Wolanin is 4 years older than him and far more polished offensively at this point. I think he is a true talent back there, the sens are very fortunate to have all 3 of them. Simply expecting that kind of offensive creativity out of Brannstrom right away I think is expecting alot, Wolanin isnt a run of the mill player he has serious skill.

The only thing I really feel any confidence in at all in the current state of this franchise is the D core. It will be elite, they need 2 to 3 game breakers up front, after Tkachuk there is no other first line talent in the organization.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think he has made some really crafty plays, against Minnesota he showed his patience and ability to create open shooting lanes. The more he touched the puck that day the more dangerous he became. He just needs more ice time and time to develop, its going to come.

Wolanin is 4 years older than him and far more polished offensively at this point. I think he is a true talent back there, the sens are very fortunate to have all 3 of them. Simply expecting that kind of offensive creativity out of Brannstrom right away I think is expecting alot, Wolanin isnt a run of the mill player he has serious skill.

The only thing I really feel any confidence in at all in the current state of this franchise is the D core. It will be elite, they need 2 to 3 game breakers up front, after Tkachuk there is no other first line talent in the organization.

Ya, I may not have been clear with the Wolanin comparison, I wasn't expecting Brannstrom to do what Wolanin has done, but I expected to see some more of the things that show me he's on his way to getting there. I'll admit I've been in and out of the games on the road trip, so maybe he's doing it and I just missed it.

I agree he's getting more crafty the more he touches the puck, I think he's still in the feeling it out process. He's going to be really good I think.

I also think our D is shaping up to be really good. Wolanin makes our LD depth really strong. The sooner JBD and Thomas are ready (not to be confused with just make the team) the better in terms of where this team is going. If/When they are ready to be top 4 RD, our backend will be really impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad