GWT: EPL - Matchweek 7 (ft. MW 2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Why this question? Well apparently corruption is somehow linked to states but not businessmen.
Just ask Juve, OM and all the others. States obviously.
Congrats on avoiding the point. Corruption is EVERYWHERE. States and Corporation and Individuals. Why are you so fixated about the states?

Are you implying that Spurs paid the refs to travel
Wtf? Spurs have nothing to do with that. Jeez. Why this fixation about the Spurs. I don't give a shit about them, I am talking about the officials.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
It’s clearly a conflict of interest. It may or more likely may not result in bribing but you open the gates to do so.

Refs work for the EPL that’s all they should be their only employers. (Uefa obviously not withstanding)

Reactions: maclean

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Stares are the only one corrupting people? Corporations aren't?
I mean, if Clearlake ran a league and you had a ref come over to America to ref one of the games in their league, it would certainly be widely criticized as well.

Even if there's no direct corruption, a referee taking paychecks from the owner of one of the teams in the league is an atrocious image.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
It’s clearly a conflict of interest. It may or more likely may not result in bribing but you open the gates to do so.

Refs work for the EPL that’s all they should be their only employers. (Uefa obviously not withstanding)
I’m glad some one else said this. If I would have said it I would have been accused of conspiracy. I mean even if the ref was jet lagged which is why he was too tired to understand what was going on during the game because he worked a game Thursday night, flew Friday and had a PL game on Saturday that’s enough reason; but again PL refs going to UAE is sanctioned and arguably encouraged by Howard Webb. I mean I’ve fallen asleep in my chair after shorter flights than UAE to London

Wtf? Spurs have nothing to do with that. Jeez. Why this fixation about the Spurs. I don't give a shit about them, I am talking about the officials.
Desperation for relevance

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Club Statement:

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Club Statement:

Club PR for "There's nothing we can really do about it, but we're gonna write a really angry letter anyway"

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Club PR for "There's nothing we can really do about it, but we're gonna write a really angry letter anyway"
More or less. Last sentence makes it seem like…something? Don’t really know what yet though. I’m just glad that they made a statement so the manager and the players don’t have to and risk fine/suspension. I think that honestly might have been the goal here.

This context too:

Everyone except PGMOL themselves know it’s a shambles. They’ve made 13 public apologies in the 13 months but they’ve made themselves teflon; which they certainly do not deserve. Statement is clearly demanding transparency in the future; let’s see if it happens. Releasing the audio from yesterday would be a good place to start

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
It was fluke goal. Simple as that. Trying to paint a some big picture of it, is just reaching and showing your attitude towards other posters.
You know, everything you wrote here could and is probably technically true. The problem is that you're looking at it in a narrow view. Yes, call it a fluke goal, but not scoring a goal to muster a draw at Old Trafford against Palace is shocking mate. It has nothing to do with defending the club, but there is a lot wrong that you simply cannot take the half-glass-full approach.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
More or less. Last sentence makes it seem like…something? Don’t really know what yet though. I’m just glad that they made a statement so the manager and the players don’t have to and risk fine/suspension. I think that honestly might have been the goal here.

Everyone except PGMOL themselves know it’s a shambles. They’ve made 13 public apologies in the 13 months but they’ve made themselves teflon; which they certainly do not deserve. Statement is clearly demanding transparency in the future; let’s see if it happens. Releasing the audio from yesterday would be a good place to start
Last sentence is basically that they’re gonna look at the various clauses in the PL rules that talk about replaying games or whatever. They’ll likely write an angry (corporate angry) letter to the PL asking those clauses to be invoked.

It’s obviously not gonna actually result in anything, but it’s the standard that teams do in situations like this.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Last sentence is basically that they’re gonna look at the various clauses in the PL rules that talk about replaying games or whatever. They’ll likely write an angry (corporate angry) letter to the PL asking those clauses to be invoked.

It’s obviously not gonna actually result in anything, but it’s the standard that teams do in situations like this.
Of course not. I think it’s something that they are attacking the “human error” premise though. Not sure it results in anything but now manager and players can point to the statement. That’s all it NEEDED to do. Anything else is a bonus

Also , kind of funny and at a different level, there is some precedent on Howard Webb demanding a replay due to ref error when he was head of refs in the USA

Not that it will happen but fun to point out

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I hate Spurs and KFC, but that was one of the poorest officiated games I've ever watched in my life and I have to constantly watch corruption against the Arsenal.

I understand why people think Jones' red card is a red card, but it simply should not be. It wasn't even a red card against Jones, but against Newtonian physics because his damn foot bounces off the ball into Bissouma's ankle. Awful look when you get to slow it down and pause with Curtis studs on the ankle, but it was a free and loose ball. It wasn't like Bissouma had any possession of it at all. This match wasn't scripted, what you say was just a pathetic display for a ref who had absolutely no business in reffing an EPL match at this point. This bloke, needs at least 20 more years before getting a Burnley vs Norwich City level of match.
All this game did was reinforce my belief that this Spurs team is deeply mediocre.
Yet I get put on ignore by Spurs fans for saying the same thing lol.

I give them credit for getting results, but we can't hide the fact that for two very important aspects. 1. Their club has zero depth so they are always one injury away from being in the doldrums. 2. They have had almost every single major moment go their way from the first game of the season until now. We'll see how long that will happen because I think they will start showing some big cracks when they face adversity and their first loss.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Stares are the only one corrupting people? Corporations aren't?
To be fair, if a ref was getting paid to ref a corporate match, people would probably be iffy on it too. That said, I think “ref getting paid to ref” is a pretty silly argument.
Are you implying that Spurs paid the refs to travel
Liverpool fans don’t actually believe all of this. They’re upset because a mistake happened against them and they’re lashing out. It happens.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I mean, if Clearlake ran a league and you had a ref come over to America to ref one of the games in their league, it would certainly be widely criticized as well.

Even if there's no direct corruption, a referee taking paychecks from the owner of one of the teams in the league is an atrocious image.
I would need evidence that it was at an absurdly out of market rate to feel like it’s anything more than ref gets paid to ref.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
You know, everything you wrote here could and is probably technically true. The problem is that you're looking at it in a narrow view. Yes, call it a fluke goal, but not scoring a goal to muster a draw at Old Trafford against Palace is shocking mate. It has nothing to do with defending the club, but there is a lot wrong that you simply cannot take the half-glass-full approach.
I'm not denying United's poor performance by admitting that Palace's goal was a fluke. United should've created more and better scoring chances and capitalized on them. But they didn't. Throughout my ~31 years of being a United fan, I've seen all too many games, even during SAF's era, of one goal defeats where United should done more offensively

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
This cognitive dissonance Liverpool fans have where refs are infallible in their understanding of the what happened in the game and incapable of mistakenly doing or not doing something, but are absolutely bumbling idiots incapable of making a right call while actually refereeing is pretty impressive.
The funniest aspect is that Klopp was justified in all his whining yesterday, but because he whined for every 50/50 call that went against Liverpool in the past, the bloke is just like the boy crying wolf. No sympathy from me.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Liverpool should try and appeal the red on Jones at least. Don’t think they'd dare to say no to that now.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
When rashford isn’t on a 20 game purple patch, there aren’t a ton of goals in United.

Reactions: luiginb

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Liverpool fans don’t actually believe all of this. They’re upset because a mistake happened against them and they’re lashing out. It happens.
Mistakes happen. People can accept mistakes. What happened yesterday was unprecedented incompetence. Makes it harder to digest

The funniest aspect is that Klopp was justified in all his whining yesterday, but because he whined for every 50/50 call that went against Liverpool in the past, the bloke is just like the boy crying wolf. No sympathy from me.
I don’t really expect sympathy but I really don’t think Klopp whines disproportionally to any other manager. He’s just been painted that way (like Liverpool are painted as LiVARpool) so he’s already lost in the court of public opinion. This could have happened to any club. Just happened to happen to LFC

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Mistakes happen. People can accept mistakes. What happened yesterday was unprecedented incompetence. Makes it harder to digest
A very similar situation happened last season. A good goal was scored and not given because lines weren’t drawn and it potentially cost a team points. So unprecedented is a little rich.

But the problem isn’t that Liverpool fans are upset, it’s that they’re so scattershot in claiming an agenda and UAE corruption and blah blah blah. And the journos are feeding it either because they’ve lost the ability to be objective or, more likely, because they’re thirsty for clicks.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
A very similar situation happened last season. A good goal was scored and not given because lines weren’t drawn and it potentially cost a team points. So unprecedented is a little rich.

But the problem isn’t that Liverpool fans are upset, it’s that they’re so scattershot in claiming an agenda and UAE corruption and blah blah blah. And the journos are feeding it either because they’ve lost the ability to be objective or, more likely, because they’re thirsty for clicks.
There is no similar situation to the VAR ref thinking he was checking a good goal instead of any offsides. It isn’t about lines. They checked the wrong thing and it greatly impacted the game.

Maybe there is an agenda, maybe there isn’t. I personally never went to UAE corruption. It’s not exclusive to LFC that journos are looking for clicks either. People are going to have crazy opinions because people are crazy.

Frankly they should be feeding it though because PGMOL is atrocious. That’s the point. The other fans want to diminish it because it happened to Liverpool and people are tribal, but the enemy here is PGMOL. Let’s not dilute that

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I'm not denying United's poor performance by admitting that Palace's goal was a fluke. United should've created more and better scoring chances and capitalized on them. But they didn't. Throughout my ~31 years of being a United fan, I've seen all too many games, even during SAF's era, of one goal defeats where United should done more offensively
Should not have exiled and sold CR7 then, he's the king of goalscoring.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad