GWT: EPL - Matchweek 3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Your jealousy of a league that people actually watch is unbecoming.

Don’t the English pretend to have a sense of humor about themselves? :sarcasm:

After how much shit epl fans talked, the least you can do is take it with a stiff upper lip instead of crying about it being your turn to be the punching bag for lazy jokes about the lack of competition *shrug*

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Imagine being such a bonehead that you kick the ball away on an opposing freekick, not to mention faking injury a mile away from your own goal while you're already on a yellow.

Enh, I hate bonehead shit like that agreed, but he hardly kicked the ball away, he felt it hit his foot and knocked it away, and the injury faking shit is cringe but refs hand out cards like candy to the opposing teams for that, we've been on the receiving end of it enough that I find it hard to fault him for it

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Pretty sure they modified the rule about kicking the ball only last year. Part of that clip is the reason why.... it was becoming quite a joke. That being said they don't always apply it.
I don’t think they changed the rule, but if they did, we only have to look at the other matches today.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
For those who want to be a stickler about the rules of the game, here is the exact language:

Referees must caution players who delay the restart of play by:
  • appearing to take a throw-in but suddenly leaving it to a team-mate to take
  • delaying leaving the field of play when being substituted
  • excessively delaying a restart
  • kicking or carrying the ball away, or provoking a confrontation by deliberately touching the ball after the referee has stopped play
  • taking a free kick from the wrong position to force a retake
So, if you want to be pedantic, you'd have to argue that Rice kicked that ball away. Which fine, you can make that argument. There's no rationale that Joao Pedro wouldn't have been carded. You can also make the argument that Veltman was playing the ball from the wrong position, and thus should have received a yellow card. Additionally, Veltman's kick into Declan Rice's legs would be a second yellow, as he remains responsible for his actions despite the ball not being there (or, even if the ball had been there, his follow through) as we have seen time and time again. That's at least a second yellow, arguably a straight red. So Veltman would have been sent off, too.

Of course, had Joao Pedro been appropriately carded in the first half for legitimately booting the ball away, he also would have been sent off. I'm all for pedantry, as long as you apply it evenly. To that end, if you're really being pedantic, the ball was stationary when Veltman first kicked the ball into the back of Rice. Here's the rule on free kicks:

The ball:
  • must be stationary and the kicker must not touch the ball again until it has touched another player
  • is in play when it is kicked and clearly moves
The ball was stationary, the ball was kicked, the ball clearly moved. By the letter of the law, that was a legally taken free kick and the ball was in play when it hit Rice, which makes it impossible to delay the restart, which means that Veltman was the only player to commit the foul, which was, at the very least, an orange card offense.
Not to mention that even if you ignore the foregoing, the rule regarding the restart of play states:

If, when a free kick is taken, an opponent is closer to the ball than the required distance, the kick is retaken unless the advantage can be applied; but if a player takes a free kick quickly and an opponent who is less than 9.15 m (10 yds) from the ball intercepts it, the referee allows play to continue. However, an opponent who deliberately prevents a free kick being taken quickly must be cautioned for delaying the restart of play.

So you'd have to argue that Rice was deliberately preventing a free kick from being taken quickly. Given that Rice touched a moving ball that was just kicked into his heels and given that Rice couldn't really see Veltman swinging from behind, there is no rational way to argue that he deliberately prevented a free kick from being taken quickly. In fact, if anything, by preventing Veltman from kicking a moving ball, he, if anything, prevented Veltman from delaying the restart of play.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Are people really saying Joao Pedro tried to delay the game even though his team wasn't leading on the scoreboard? By shooting the ball straight at the opponent keeper?
I would have only warned Rice verbally but he did both kick the ball and then roll on the pitch. His yellow is perfectly understandable. And in no way comparable to Joao Pedro's play because context matters.

Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
I hate it when he starts instead of Van de Ven and not Romero as he's playing on his off side, and it gives Spurs two overly aggresive defenders, in him and Romero, where ideally you'd have an aggressive one and a more cerebral one (think Saliba-Gabriel, or Guehi-Andersen). But I'll be tuning in for sure. Isak is going to have a hard time physically at least haha

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I hate it when he starts instead of Van de Ven and not Romero as he's playing on his off side, and it gives Spurs two overly aggresive defenders, in him and Romero, where ideally you'd have an aggressive one and a more cerebral one (think Saliba-Gabriel, or Guehi-Andersen). But I'll be tuning in for sure. Isak is going to have a hard time physically at least haha

Depends what you mean by aggressive. Romero is a more aggressive tackler, but VDV is the one who will aggressively go on a 50 yard run with the ball.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Newcastle very close a couple of time. Spurs with the expected defensive issues of a team playing two wingbacks in a back 4.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad