Post-Game Talk: Endgame

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Agree.....McDavid is an amazing talent....but his leadership? Something is wrong.

Sometimes it's hard for guys like connor and drai to buy in when they have a strong opinion of their own identity. They see themselves as Art ross/rocket richard trophy winners etc so it seems silly to them to have that defend first mentality and increase their chances of not getting on the score sheet or only collecting 1 point a night for stretches. Sometimes you have to suck it up and play with the cards you're dealt. This team would be much better if they bought in fully and lead that way. Not cheat, spend more energy defending and working out to the offence as a five man unit instead of floating around ready to get a big jump on the opposing D AND your own D and trying to do it as a 3 player forward unit instead of a full 5 player unit.

The funny thing is i think they'd actually be doing much better even on the score sheet if they bought in, grind it out offensively and defensively and not cheat/take short cuts but it's not registering in their brains. It's like they go thorugh a game or two where they maybe bought in a bit more and it didn't work out great on the score sheet so they lose resiliency and stick to it ness and abandon playing the right way. They don't realize it could take a week or more to grind it out and finally find that game playing the right way. It almost parallels what my gf tells me about her teaching of high school math. Kids now give up so easily in the face of adversity. they don't understand how to do the math and they flat out get frustrated, pout and give up. It's a big reason for the complete s*** grades our kids are getting in school.

Reactions: McFuhryous

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Leaders take the heat when things go wrong, and credit when it goes well...this is not new. The team shows many signs of a lack if leadership and accountability.

Who says they aren't doing those things in the locker room?

Being accountable to the fans is one of the dumbest concepts we've come up with in sports.

Reactions: frag2

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
so now we can't criticize them cause they were good like over a month ago? gimme a break
You can, it just seems silly because without them we are worse than Detroit when nobody else is picking up the slack. Good on RNH to throw in the towel last night before the game was a dozen seconds old. That’s true hustle.

Reactions: Aerrol

mastorofpuppetz

Dec 28, 2019
As many as you have with forum rules Mr. Lowe.

Nobody is scoring at ES but let’s single out two of the three reasons we are even in a playoff spot in the first place.
No one is singling them out..but leaders need to lead by example and set the standard....their defensive play deserves criticism nor are they beyond criticism. Yes they are still easily our best, but they need to play hard in both ends. You dont see Crosby slacking on the backcheck. Teams dont win that way.

mastorofpuppetz

Dec 28, 2019
Who says they aren't doing those things in the locker room?

Being accountable to the fans is one of the dumbest concepts we've come up with in sports.
Were did I say anything about to the fans? Several coaches have made comments in public, chances are there is more to it.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
No one is singling them out..but leaders need to lead by example and set the standard....their defensive play deserves criticism nor are they beyond criticism. Yes they are still easily our best, but they need to play hard in both ends. You dont see Crosby slacking on the backcheck. Teams dont win that way.
Crosby has had bad stretches too. Difference is when he struggles someone will pick up the slack. Here? Nope. We are the worst team in the league If McDavid and Draisatl aren’t performing because there’s literally nothing else.

Reactions: Aerrol

mastorofpuppetz

Dec 28, 2019
Crosby has had bad stretches too. Difference is when he struggles someone will pick up the slack. Here? Nope. We are the worst team in the league If McDavid and Draisatl aren’t performing because there’s literally nothing else.
Crosby never stops skating and watches an odd man rush going the other way like Drai does...being our best players does not mean immune to criticism. They need to set the example.

Reactions: HK97

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Crosby never stops skating and watches an odd man rush going the other way like Drai does...being our best players does not mean immune to criticism. They need to set the example.
upload_2019-12-28_10-13-8.gif

Good example. Again my point is that he has other players on his team to pick up the slack.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Lmao that's your post? He had a defenseman behind him and could not catch the forward, was covering the trailer...clueless. that's a one on two were the defenseman was there....I dont think you understand hockey.
You said he never stops skating. He clearly did there. But again you missed the entire point of this conversation...

but let’s bring this into a perspective that maybe you can understand. The Flames second line walked all over us. They didn’t need Gaudreau and Monahan to be good. If McDavid and Draisatl aren’t gods the Oilers don’t win. Simple as that.

Reactions: RegDunlop

mastorofpuppetz

Dec 28, 2019
You said he never stops skating. He clearly did there. But again you missed the entire point of this conversation...

but let’s bring this into a perspective that maybe you can understand. The Flames second line walked all over us. They didn’t need Gaudreau and Monahan to be good. If McDavid and Draisatl aren’t gods the Oilers don’t win. Simple as that.
Yeah that's all I said....your posts are disingenuous and not in good faith...he never had to skate their as someone had to cover the trailer...the d man had the forward just a weak backhand goal. I never said he never stops skating...what is context? I said more then that.

Context matters .

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017

bingo, when croz's game is not on he finds way to simplify and be a small a liability as possible. Connor's getting better at this but still not great whereas Drai has just simply played without any sense of care and responsibility which is extremely frustrating given that he says he wants to model his game after a selke winner like kopitar. Talk is cheap.

Reactions: mastorofpuppetz

mastorofpuppetz

Dec 28, 2019
bingo, when croz's game is not on he finds way to simplify and be a small a liability as possible. Connor's getting better at this but still not great whereas Drai has just simply played without any sense of care and responsibility which is extremely frustrating given that he says he wants to model his game after a selke winner like kopitar. Talk is cheap.
Agree, more so Leon, connor does make more effort to get back.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Did you enjoy the kids mini game? I did. Thought it was the only entertaining part of the night. #3 in white was generational...also probably the oldest one (at least the biggest haha)

It was literally the best part of the evening. Pretty sure #3 is a Russian import. Their goaltending was far better than ours was as well.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
They're only scoring on the power play, so they might as well try to play some defence 5 on 5.

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
What prospects would that be ? Have you taken a look at Bakersfield lately?there’s a reason no one is getting a call up.

Prospects that aren't ready for the NHL can still be traded ya know.

Point is, anyone expecting Holland to mortgage the future to put a band aid on a broken team just doesn't know his track record, that's not what he does.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
They're only scoring on the power play, so they might as well try to play some defence 5 on 5.

I'm honestly starting to worry about what Tippett is doing now. I hate having to whine about coaches after going through so many, but it really seems to me that he is taking a complete hands off approach with his top guys. The attempt at some accountability seems totally gone. Obviously you don't want to piss off your best players, but they still do need a little push. It really seems like there isn't even that anymore.

And in general with this team, the seem to be playing the most passive kind of defense in our end I have ever seem. It is like the anti-swarm. If you are gonna do that you need amazing goaltending to keep handling the onslaught (hopefully at least the passiveness is blocking out the slot chances), but we don't have that at all anymore.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
This is my list of returnees:

McDavid, Draisaitl, Neal, Kassian, Haas, Archibald, Sheahan, Klefbom, Nurse, Bear, Koskinen. Trade for upgrades and use the free cap for upgrades.

You know...
I can't think of any different in or out of your group. I totally concur!

Reactions: Oilhawks

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Agree, more so Leon, connor does make more effort to get back.

Love it HFOil! Let run these guys out of town.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Draisaitl would eat a 23 year old Sedin alive and **** them out as a German sausage.

People have ridiculous expectations of him and McDavid here. No one else is the league is asked to carry the load they are asked to at that age.
Malkin and Crosby were and did so successfully.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad