Post-Game Talk: Endgame

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

mastorofpuppetz

Dec 28, 2019
Tips says he noticed the lack of urgency in the morning skate and then addressed it with the leaders. We all know what happened at start of game and each period there after. Have the players stopped listening to Tippett? The urgency and not ready to start a game has been going on for many years now. There are many things wrong with this team but that comment from the post game is disturbing.
It is...and you have to wonder if our captain is much of a leader at all. Amazing talent...but leadership is questionable.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
October was fun.

Didn’t drink much kool aid so I’m not shocked, not mad...just disappointed

Anybody who thoughts that October and November was what this team is this year are idiots. This is a lottery team. It's the exact same team, more or less, as last year. Why would this year be any different with the same players?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Tips says he noticed the lack of urgency in the morning skate and then addressed it with the leaders. We all know what happened at start of game and each period there after. Have the players stopped listening to Tippett? The urgency and not ready to start a game has been going on for many years now. There are many things wrong with this team but that comment from the post game is disturbing. Players should be ready to go, I don't think it's the coachs job to do that. Having said that, if the coach saw something earlier in the day, he needs to ensure they are ready and motivated to go.

My take is the coach has fired off at the wrong players, and the players know that. This is a coach that has gone at at McDrai specifically while defending such players as Nuge, Klef, and notably Smith.

I think he lost respect around a month ago and has been doubling down on that since.

The reality is after Eakins, McLellan, Hitch no Oilers go to forward being vastly overplayed is really going to see the truth being "you're not doing enough". McDrai are pulling their share, and know it. The org, not so much.

Tippet has made the critical error of trying to whip his plow horses hard. Without which he has nothing and no crop.. The Oilers stars have seen this all before too many times. Tippet needed to come here with different messages but fell into the same trap of blaming the best for the teams fortunes.

Reactions: Aerrol

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Said it before and I'll say it again, when a team is banking on Klefbom and RNH being two of its top players, that team is going nowhere.

It would be so nice if we had some upcoming competition to make them both expendable. Alas, we're stuck with them.

Been saying this for a long long time. Some fans here think because they log a ton of minutes, that means they are impact players at their roles.

Newsflash - gotta be good during those minutes to be considered impact players

Hell, even the shine on Nurse and Bear have worn off though I'll give the latter a small pass due to being a rookie

I was at the game and to see that start was completely deflating. 3 goals in the beginning of all 3 periods was deflating. Most of the 3rd period my buddy from Calgary who came up for the game (dont worry, he is from Edmonton and hates the Flames as much as I do) were talking about anything but hockey. After the game we hit a local watering hole near my place to discuss the state of the Oilers and came to the conclusion that nothing is going to change this season and the state of our team is one just a notch above an AHL team - again. So frustrating being an Oiler fan. On the bright side parking should be a lot easier downtown for the games in February and March when we are battling San Jose for the bottom in our division.

Did you enjoy the kids mini game? I did. Thought it was the only entertaining part of the night. #3 in white was generational...also probably the oldest one (at least the biggest haha)

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Tips says he noticed the lack of urgency in the morning skate and then addressed it with the leaders. We all know what happened at start of game and each period there after. Have the players stopped listening to Tippett? The urgency and not ready to start a game has been going on for many years now. There are many things wrong with this team but that comment from the post game is disturbing. Players should be ready to go, I don't think it's the coachs job to do that. Having said that, if the coach saw something earlier in the day, he needs to ensure they are ready and motivated to go.

Yup this has been a problem for years now. It's definitely a leadership and cultural thing and it seems like it's more a players thing rather than a coach/gm thing. For a while now our best players and or leaders have been youngsters and maybe a couple older guys that the best players don't listen to. Love Connor but i'm not sure he's a great overall leader now. This team is often not ready at beginning of games or periods. Weak mental fortitude.

Yes the depth is questionable but I would be nowhere near as mad if these guys actually came out ready to play and way more often played hard, urgent, prepared and paid attention to detail as if they've bought in to the coach's systems. And more disappointing is that during slumps it's usually been the "best players" on the team that are not ready/lack urgency etc (Drai, Nuge, Connor, Klef, Nurse etc) moreso than the other, lesser players.... and as the game goes along those lesser players usually start to sag and follow the "best" players' lead. Even one of the analysts during the game last night talked about the Oilers terrible body language. There's just low resiliency when in the face of real adversity. That's definitely a leadership/cultural thing. If they played hard and lost 3-2 or 2-1 we wouldn't be nearly as mad.

Just no excuse for a leader like Drai to be looking like a complete dud for so long now. He was, AGAIN, horrendous last night. When will he learn to not take short cuts and make completely trash turnovers? Not even honest mistakes/turnovers... complete lazy, brain-dead turnovers. Suck up the ego and simplify when your game isn't on. Quit hurting the team. Selke my a$$, drai. You're nothing like your hero kopitar.

Reactions: Sanchez

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
My take is the coach has fired off at the wrong players, and the players know that. This is a coach that has gone at at McDrai specifically while defending such players as Nuge, Klef, and notably Smith.

I think he lost respect around a month ago and has been doubling down on that since.

The reality is after Eakins, McLellan, Hitch no Oilers go to forward being vastly overplayed is really going to see the truth being "you're not doing enough". McDrai are pulling their share, and know it. The org, not so much.

Tippet has made the critical error of trying to whip his plow horses hard. Without which he has nothing and no crop.. The Oilers stars have seen this all before too many times. Tippet needed to come here with different messages but fell into the same trap of blaming the best for the teams fortunes.

IMO McLellan lost the room when he called out McDrai early last season I believe. Maybe they don't take criticism well and are coach killers? That or maybe the coaches should be smart enough not to throw them under the bus in the media or both?

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
IMO McLellan lost the room when he called out McDrai early last season I believe. Maybe they don't take criticism well and are coach killers? That or maybe the coaches should be smart enough not to throw them under the bus in the media or both?

At some point in time the leaders NEED to be called out if the coaches think they are a big part of the reason for the failures. It's no coincidence that both Todd and tips have already done this. Connor is great but yes there definitely IS an issue with the leadership on this team. Connor and Drai have to suck it up and start doing things the right way (especially Drai).

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.

The disconnect though is you can't throw the same players under the bus that you are playing 23mins/night. Its dishonest. Like I said its like constantly whipping your best plow horse harder. In the end it breaks.

Tippett fell into this. Poor move. Had he researched how prior coaches lost the room (starting with eakins/Hall) he would have avoided this.

Reactions: Aerrol

mastorofpuppetz

Dec 28, 2019
At some point in time the leaders NEED to be called out if the coaches think they are a big part of the reason for the failures. It's no coincidence that both Todd and tips have already done this. Connor is great but yes there definitely IS an issue with the leadership on this team. Connor and Drai have to suck it up and start doing things the right way (especially Drai).
Agree.....McDavid is an amazing talent....but his leadership? Something is wrong.

Reactions: BlueCheeseWithWings

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Been saying this for a long long time. Some fans here think because they log a ton of minutes, that means they are impact players at their roles.

Newsflash - gotta be good during those minutes to be considered impact players

Hell, even the shine on Nurse and Bear have worn off though I'll give the latter a small pass due to being a rookie
yup...Klefbom has been overrated since forever
dude is -24 and logs too many minutes

Nurse is an average defender at best, and below average offensively...love his toughness and character but he not worth the money he's gonna get
he'll never be top-pairing

Reactions: frag2

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I just can’t criticize McDrai. If it weren’t for them we would probably have 1 or 2 wins this season (I wish I was exaggerating but I’m not). They realize that the supporting cast is shit which leads to cheating more offensively as they are relied on for all of the offense.

mastorofpuppetz

Dec 28, 2019
He could be the greatest leader in the history of sport too, but we'll never know without being in the locker room.

The last thing we need to be doing is criticizing McDrai for something we know nothing about.
Leaders take the heat when things go wrong, and credit when it goes well...this is not new. The team shows many signs of a lack if leadership and accountability.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Go easy on Keith think he has issues with comprehension.
As many as you have with forum rules Mr. Lowe.
I said "constantly" meaning more than 1 game

but since they also can't score at ES, it's no wonder they are minus every single game

Nobody is scoring at ES but let’s single out two of the three reasons we are even in a playoff spot in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad