Post-Game Talk: Endgame

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
McLellan, Hitchock, and now Tippett have had them in or right at a playoff spot at Christmas for the last 3 years.

Every single one of those 3 years, the GM has sat on his ass doing nothing to improve the team and watched the season spiral out of control.

Holland is on the clock, this doesn't count as a "write off" year, *do something*, you're the freaking GM.

I understand, but if they brought in Holland to try to squeak this team into the playoffs by selling off the future - they brought in the wrong guy.

He builds franchises from the bottom up, and makes very few trades. He's probably aware this team is way more than a winger or center away from being anything meaningful - he's not selling off prospects for a first round exit and to make his job harder for years.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Said it before and I'll say it again, when a team is banking on Klefbom and RNH being two of its top players, that team is going nowhere.

It would be so nice if we had some upcoming competition to make them both expendable. Alas, we're stuck with them.
Klefbom is a good defender but should in no way be playing 25 minutes a night

DerpMorg

10 Year Tire Fire
Feb 1, 2012
Ft. McMurray
Knives are out in full force from the national media. You can almost think they have been waiting to carve us up

This organization deserves all of it.

Also on the topic of RNH, he’s been a draft bust for several years now. I’m glad people are beginning to give up on his underwhelming bullshit play.

Reactions: BlackDogg

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
May as well just tank the rest of the season. Lafreniere would be a Godsend (Yes we don’t deserve him and would still be a shitty team but it would give me a reason to watch this bad hockey team)

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Agreed. Ideally Tippett would use him primarily as an ES player with Bear taking his spot on the top PP.

That would cut him back to 20ish mins or so and is a long overdue change.
Yep. Especially with Larsson back and mostly playing well, you can cut back Bears 5v5 time and give him his PP time.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Trading Drai is not the answer

Drai figuring out how to be the player he can be is the long term solution.

Sure it is. But on this roster, and with this org and chronic f***up management what motivation is there to do that?

Drai could be superhuman, and had to be to start off the season, and yet its unsustainable to carry that much of a load for very long in hockey, a team sport.

Drai was being double teamed a lot last night in transition. He was still making plays and knowing everytime he was being gang clobbered after making a pass. Flames targeted him because he's the key Oilers transition player. Without which there's little puck advancement.

When the season started I wondered how McDrai even self motivate themselves to play to their utmost on such a roster. When knowing full well that trying to drag a club like this to a playoff spot was impossible through an 82 game season. I was quite surprised, pleased, that they took up the challenge at all, for as long as they did, that they tried to bend fate.

As others have suggested we'll see the best of our top players when we have something resembling an NHL lineup. A plausible lineup that can make the playoffs.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Sure it is. But on this roster, and with this org and chronic ****up management what motivation is there to do that?

Drai could be superhuman, and had to be to start off the season, and yet its unsustainable to carry that much of a load for very long in hockey, a team sport.

Drai was being double teamed a lot last night in transition. He was still making plays and knowing everytime he was being gang clobbered after making a pass. Flames targeted him because he's the key Oilers transition player. Without which there's little puck advancement.

When the season started I wondered how McDrai even self motivate themselves to play to their utmost on such a roster. When knowing full well that trying to drag a club like this to a playoff spot was impossible through an 82 game season. I was quite surprised, pleased, that they took up the challenge at all, for as long as they did, that they tried to bend fate.

As others have suggested we'll see the best of our top players when we have something resembling an NHL lineup. A plausible lineup that can make the playoffs.
Draisaitl is mentally fatigued.

Being over played, over worked and over relied on is mentally taxing and can often lead to dumb mistakes and being super down on yourself. Hell it happens outside sports all the time with supervisors or managers that have shit people below them, high pressure from above and having to constantly do the job of multiple people

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Agreed. Ideally Tippett would use him primarily as an ES player with Bear taking his spot on the top PP.

That would cut him back to 20ish mins or so and is a long overdue change.

Seems like Tippett is trying to use Klefbom as little as possible at even strength and as much as possible on special teams.

Kind of makes sense since he's been an abomination at even strength this year.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I was at the game and to see that start was completely deflating. 3 goals in the beginning of all 3 periods was deflating. Most of the 3rd period my buddy from Calgary who came up for the game (dont worry, he is from Edmonton and hates the Flames as much as I do) were talking about anything but hockey. After the game we hit a local watering hole near my place to discuss the state of the Oilers and came to the conclusion that nothing is going to change this season and the state of our team is one just a notch above an AHL team - again. So frustrating being an Oiler fan. On the bright side parking should be a lot easier downtown for the games in February and March when we are battling San Jose for the bottom in our division.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Draisaitl is mentally fatigued.

Being over played, over worked and over relied on is mentally taxing and can often lead to dumb mistakes and being super down on yourself. Hell it happens outside sports all the time with supervisors or managers that have **** people below them, high pressure from above and having to constantly do the job of multiple people

I don't disagree. Look at him. He looks like he's pounding rocks in hell. The guy has all kinds of accountability, will to be the best he can be, really as much as any hockey player has because he's improved as much as any prospect I can think of. Drai has spent his whole life excelling over what forecasts would be. He's very much Mark Messier in that regard and a lot of parallels and both had hockey coach dads.

But what would Wayne Gretzky and Mark Messier look like, what would they be able to accomplish on a lineup this bereft of player support.

You can't win on a lineup with 2 key players. Somebody on the blogoshere listed half a dozen Oilers and said "This is the Oilers NHL lineup, this is the roster"

Its a f***ed roster, and we're seeing McDrai f***ed over because of it. Shutdown McDrai and you win. No secret. Meanwhile Mangiopane has a 3 pt night for the Flames being a game buster. We get no run support results like that.

Reactions: Mc5RingsAndABeer

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Said it before and I'll say it again, when a team is banking on Klefbom and RNH being two of its top players, that team is going nowhere.

It would be so nice if we had some upcoming competition to make them both expendable. Alas, we're stuck with them.
Klefbom is a good defender but should in no way be playing 25 minutes a night
Commie agrees as well.

Beaumaris

May 21, 2015
I understand, but if they brought in Holland to try to squeak this team into the playoffs by selling off the future - they brought in the wrong guy.

He builds franchises from the bottom up, and makes very few trades. He's probably aware this team is way more than a winger or center away from being anything meaningful - he's not selling off prospects for a first round exit and to make his job harder for years.
What prospects would that be ? Have you taken a look at Bakersfield lately?there’s a reason no one is getting a call up.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
^^I could do without seeing what Mike Commodore is trolling to Flames fans on the internet. Just as much as I could do without seeing CalgaryPuck quotes here.

Not that I disagree but that the whole twitter thread is a troll Oilers series of comments.

Not that I'm really blaming Calgary fans at all. For sure there'd be smak talk if we ever spanked the flames like that and exposed them on home ice to the degree that home fans were booing the club.

I mean this was great if you happen to be a Flames fan. Until the first round of the playoffs..

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Commie agrees as well.

People in that thread who think Klefbom is the least of the team's worries is a little mindbottling.

CF%: 45.4 (170th)
SCF%: 44.3 (173rd)
GF%: 38.3 (178th)

That's his numbers at 5v5 and ranking among defensemen with 250+ minutes.

He's been straight up terrible at 5v5 this season.

Reactions: booyakasha

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
People in that thread who think Klefbom is the least of the team's worries is a little mindbottling.

CF%: 45.4 (170th)
SCF%: 44.3 (173rd)
GF%: 38.3 (178th)

That's his numbers at 5v5 and ranking among defensemen with 250+ minutes.

He's been straight up terrible at 5v5 this season.

He’s a #2/3 dman who is being forced into playing #1 minutes on a team that has a huge lack of depth at the forward position. He will suddenly look like a great dman once we trade him to a team that knows how to use him properly. Meanwhile, we will pick a bust with the 2nd rounder we receive for him.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
He’s a #2/3 dman who is being forced into playing #1 minutes on a team that has a huge lack of depth at the forward position. He will suddenly look like a great dman once we trade him to a team that knows how to use him properly. Meanwhile, we will pick a bust with the 2nd rounder we receive for him.

#1D don't play the 3rd/4th most 5v5 minutes on their team.

He's doing that playing second pairing minutes and against secondary competition for the most part.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
What is a Mike Commodore?

He's the D version of this;

commodore.jpg

A player with bad hair, limited talent, that officials must have loved propping up as he slashed, held, hooked on nearly every sequence to try to survive as an NHL D.

What would be truly funny is seeing Commodore try to be an NHL D in 2019.

Commodore was regarded as a clown when he played. Now he's probably a drunken clown with his hair still died flames red. I mean think of an ugly step red with an afro that thinks he's tough. Mike Commodore. I'd link his picture but it would be child abuse..

Anybody taking Commodore seriously should read more of his axe to grind comments or his full press hate on Mike Babcock.

mastorofpuppetz

Dec 28, 2019
He's the D version of this;

commodore.jpg

A player with bad hair, limited talent, that officials must have loved propping up as he slashed, held, hooked on nearly every sequence to try to survive as an NHL D.

What would be truly funny is seeing Commodore try to be an NHL D in 2019.

Commodore was regarded as a clown when he played. Now he's probably a drunken clown with his hair still died flames red. I mean think of an ugly step red with an afro that thinks he's tough. Mike Commodore. I'd link his picture but it would be child abuse..

Anybody taking Commodore seriously should read more of his axe to grind comments or his full press hate on Mike Babcock.
Lol thanks for the laugh.

Sanchez

Jan 18, 2006
Tips says he noticed the lack of urgency in the morning skate and then addressed it with the leaders. We all know what happened at start of game and each period there after. Have the players stopped listening to Tippett? The urgency and not ready to start a game has been going on for many years now. There are many things wrong with this team but that comment from the post game is disturbing. Players should be ready to go, I don't think it's the coachs job to do that. Having said that, if the coach saw something earlier in the day, he needs to ensure they are ready and motivated to go.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad