Post-Game Talk: Endgame

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oildrum

Jan 22, 2013
My condolences. To think that this game was an expensive ticket on resale market. Probably to Flames fans.

I never leave early either but tbh I would never have even gone to this game. The Wheels have fallen off the Oilers, again, and a coach killing team has killed another coach. They have absolutely abandoned any game plan. This is a non coached team right now and cratering. This is flatlining and pretty scary stuff. The give up quotient on the team is pretty high now. A team that starts every game now expecting to lose.

Ya it’s much bigger than just this game. I’ve been to 3 this year all blow outs, all a waste of my time and money.

My New Years resolution is to watch less games. Too many other things to do that are guaranteed enjoyment.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
And uh how are these easy teams?

Toronto is 2nd in the Atlantic
Minnesota is 1 point outside of a playoff spot
Vancouver is 2 points outside of a playoff spot
Buffalo is 5 points out of a playoff spot

Yeah these aren’t Stanley Cup contenders, but they’re not exactly easy teams to play for any squad.

But by losing to them we get a better idea of how bad we are

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Just want to chime in why I think Holland actually picked Broberg

Our f***ing D can't skate worth a damn with the puck. Only person that seems to know what to do with the puck is Bear and the guy skates slightly better than Chiasson.

Nurse, our only 'skating' D, when he has the puck, he's a freaking dolt. Same goes with Jones except he's slower
Klefbom, Larsson, and Russell are brutal at both skating and puck decisions.

I've said in the summer-if Klefbom is your best Dman, you're not gonna go far.
Team is regressing [more like crashing?] hard

Also @Cloned , I did not get the burger on my way out

Reactions: Cloned

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Lucic and Talbot got a golf clap tonight (well deserved). I agree with you but Haas was worth the risk. He’s outplayed his contact imo. One of the only players that showed up tonight. Can you imagine we spent the money on Nyquist instead of Chiasson?
Haas is 28 and has three goals and seven points in 35 games. He’s a good skater, and I like his effort, but it’s unlikely he’s in the NHL next season.

Reactions: Anarchism

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
Put this on the players not playing with any urgency or intensity, and the coaching staff for rarely ever having them ready to play for some reason...

not the brand new GM with no cap space that managed to make one of the most remarkable hockey trades in recent years.

These same players were playing winning hockey, and now many of them aren't even working hard.

The GM blame is silly at this point.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Haas is 28 and has three goals and seven points in 35 games. He’s a good skater, and I like his effort, but it’s unlikely he’s in the NHL next season.

He's still better than half of the players on this team. I'd give him a shot.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
@belair Do you have any idea who this spare is, and what he's talking about? Have you ever mentioned the team doesn't need a change?
Some goofer who shows up when the team is losing to add to the incessant negative dialogue.

I've had the same outlook for several seasons now on this board regardless of who the GM has been. Good teams are built not bought. Even when we were winning this year, it was apparent that this team was riding some very fortunate stats to a modest record. Jumping on the rental market always would've done more harm than good. But you won't see me suggesting that Holland shouldn't be looking to shake up the depth of this roster. Of course this kid is yammering about Hall.

Reactions: Seachd and Oilhawks

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Put this on the players not playing with any urgency or intensity, and the coaching staff for rarely ever having them ready to play for some reason...

not the brand new GM with no cap space that managed to make one of the most remarkable hockey trades in recent years.

These same players were playing winning hockey, and now many of them aren't even working hard.

The GM blame is silly at this point.

McLellan, Hitchock, and now Tippett have had them in or right at a playoff spot at Christmas for the last 3 years.

Every single one of those 3 years, the GM has sat on his ass doing nothing to improve the team and watched the season spiral out of control.

Holland is on the clock, this doesn't count as a "write off" year, *do something*, you're the freaking GM.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
He's still better than half of the players on this team. I'd give him a shot.
I mean I guess ... they will probably need a couple cheap fill bodies next season anyway. He’s probably as good as you’re going to get for <$1 million.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Lucic and Talbot got a golf clap tonight (well deserved). I agree with you but Haas was worth the risk. He’s outplayed his contact imo. One of the only players that showed up tonight. Can you imagine we spent the money on Nyquist instead of Chiasson?

Haas and Archibald look fine to me. Sheahan coming on a bit as well. But its too late and the team bonding didn't really occur. Would be hard to expect a team with this many new faces every year to gell.

Every year as well there are players on the club who are serious distractions with their play. Last season it was Lucic, Larsson, Pulju, Rieder and the funk was way too much to overcome.

This year its Nuge, Nurse, Smith, plus 6weeks where bottom scoring on the club was non existent.

Oilers seem to have such a hard time getting players to gell, by in, if they are even any good.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
I mean I guess ... they will probably need a couple cheap fill bodies next season anyway. He’s probably as good as you’re going to get for <$1 million.

He's a better value than Chiasson IMO. Flames castoff garbage.

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
McLellan, Hitchock, and now Tippett have had them in or right at a playoff spot at Christmas for the last 3 years.

Every single one of those 3 years, the GM has sat on his ass doing nothing to improve the team and watched the season spiral out of control.

Holland is on the clock, this doesn't count as a "write off" year, *do something*, you're the freaking GM.
Chia traded Caggulia for Brandon Manning on Dec 30th last year...

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Haas and Archibald look fine to me. Sheahan coming on a bit as well. But its too late and the team bonding didn't really occur. Would be hard to expect a team with this many new faces every year to gell.

Every year as well there are players on the club who are serious distractions with their play. Last season it was Lucic, Larsson, Pulju, Rieder and the funk was way too much to overcome.

This year its Nuge, Nurse, Smith, plus 6weeks where bottom scoring on the club was non existent.

Oilers seem to have such a hard time getting players to gell, by in, if they are even any good.

This is my list of returnees:

McDavid, Draisaitl, Neal, Kassian, Haas, Archibald, Sheahan, Klefbom, Nurse, Bear, Koskinen. Trade for upgrades and use the free cap for upgrades.

Reactions: RegDunlop

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.

FWIW Kreuger would disagree with this and his opinion on the player is one that has risen to every new challenge thats been put on him. He has some skill, has a solid game, you don't get a lot of pts in Edmonton in Bottomsix and with the oilers lacking pmd, puck transition etc.

Despite the Oilers being completely chaotic Archibald, Haas, Sheahan have looked OK anyway. At least with these 3 they are playing like they want to remain in the NHL. I'm less sold on Granlund bringing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad