Post-Game Talk: End of Season Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kris Chreider

Pass Off The Pads
Aug 17, 2012
NYC/Minneapolis
If we find a line that works, LEAVE IT TOGETHER. Hagelin-Stepan-Nash worked so well, and the last 2 games Kreider-Stepan-Nash was tried for parts of them and worked.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
Richards needs to be bought out.. There is no telling what's going on in that mans head when he winds up being a playoff scratch. But it cant be good for his confidence.

Should re-sign Clowe, for the simple fact that he's a brute. But he's not worth anywhere near what he is currently asking.

Zuccarello is one of the Rangers more exciting breakthroughs waiting to happen. The stay in KHL turned him from a plushtoy to a ferret. It's pointless to take his production in the PO's away from him, blaming it on the lack of production of others (like some have). There is still concerns about his size, but honestly, he can gain 10-15lbs of muscle in the off season (in theory as much as 20 but for the sake of realism), which will give him some greater physical advantages due to a lower balancing point on the ice.

Kreider will hopefully have his breakthrough season as well, along with Fasth and Lindberg.

Besides Richards and maybe Del Zotto there really isn't anyone I'd really want to see gone. Boyle needs to go back down on the 4th line though, and move Callahan down to the third.. I've had enough of that guy on the 1st line.

NickyMaz

Dec 19, 2011
Omaha, NE
What a disappointing season. I remember when the lockout ended and we all began talking about the shortened season with very high hopes. Everyone was predicting the Rangers would be the team to beat in the East, the addition of Nash and a healthy Gaborik would propel us, the shorted season itself would play to the style of the Rangers perfectly. On paper this is a very strong team that should be leading the league.

What a difference a few months make. We struggled to get the 7th seed in the playoffs, win a 7 game game series against the Caps only to lose 5 against Boston. This team seriously underperformed this year.

I am so sick of hearing the excuses that we didn't have a training camp. Every other team had to deal with the very same issue. Clearly some guys didn't perform; Richards was a massive disappointment and deserves to be bought out this summer.

The biggest issue in my opinion is coaching and the staff should be sacked. Torts is a very stubborn man, he seems unwilling to shift his strategy to match the skills/style of the players. It's like a toddler trying to stick the square pegs through the round holes. At some point the coaches have to be held accountable for the performance of the team. Sullivan NEEDS to be fired, the powerplay was an embarrassment.

Overall I think this is a strong team but one that has a long way to go before we can win a Stanley Cup.

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
Should re-sign Clowe, for the simple fact that he's a brute. But he's not worth anywhere near what he is currently asking.

resign a guy coming off multiple concussions and it costs them a 2nd round pick in the next draft too.

Clowe could be a nice piece, but the concussion issues eliminate most of the potential toughness he could bring.

Kershaw

Top 4 finish + top 8 finish = not mediocre. NYR won't tank. Never have, never will.

And that may be why they've been mediocre for the past 2 decades. Quick fix routes everywhere instead of tearing it down.

Kershaw

As a Blue Jackets fan you guys unfortunately had better get used to this. He was addition by subtraction for us. If he had the heart of Callahan you'd have an all-time great. Unfortunately I don't think he is anywhere close.

This is pretty concerning coming from a CBJ fan who's watched him for I assume his whole career. Would suck to be stuck with the NA version of Alexei Kovalev on the roster.

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
This is pretty concerning coming from a CBJ fan who's watched him for I assume his whole career. Would suck to be stuck with the NA version of Alexei Kovalev on the roster.

Not really a large portion of CBJ fans aren't exactly looking at it objectively.

If he "disappears" and still puts up close to a point per game in the regular season I'm ok with that. But maybe he just had stretches of ineffectiveness much like practically every player in NHL history.

Yes his playoff performance was lacking, think he is better next year. Keep in mind he had less playoff experience than Kreider. Not an excuse, but it's hard to be the "guy" in that situation going against top pairings.

Toews has 4 points in 10 games, and just scored his first goal. **** happens. HF just like being dramatic.

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
someone please convince me that I shouldn't be worried about Hank leaving next year.

I think it's 50/50 he stays. He loves the NY lifestyle & spot light. But he want's to win as well. As we have seen all too often signing on with a new team gurantees nothing.

His value in a trade would be ridiculosly good. We could get picks, players & prospects for years to come. I'm not advocating this but it's somthing that will need to be addressed at some point during next season. It's not like Great goalies don't leave teams via trade or FA. Roy was traded, Hasek moved around, it happens.

Blueshirt Believer

Feb 28, 2012
I think it's 50/50 he stays. He loves the NY lifestyle & spot light. But he want's to win as well. As we have seen all too often signing on with a new team gurantees nothing.

His value in a trade would be ridiculosly good. We could get picks, players & prospects for years to come. I'm not advocating this but it's somthing that will need to be addressed at some point during next season. It's not like Great goalies don't leave teams via trade or FA. Roy was traded, Hasek moved around, it happens.

I'll say this:

We will know this offseason whether Hank stays or goes. If the Rangers don't sign him to an extension its going to be a disaster.

It would pretty much mean we would be going in back to full rebuild mode. I don't see that happening.

I am just hoping that Hank puts pressure on Sather to fire the clown.

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
Bruin fan in total PEACE.......I live in NJ so I watch a lot of the RANGERS. Just my opinion but I think you are crazy to not want TORTS as the coach here. The RANGERS have a great great nucleus....They play a SYSTEM and it is a system that is built to win the CUP. SIMILAR to DETROIT and BOSTON.
The reason you have not won yet is simply DEPTH.

You lost to the BRUINS because players 8-12 are not as good. Having STAAL back will be VIG for you next season and replacing DORSETT and PYAT and RICHARDS who does not fit this system....Buy out Richards

I believe STABILITY is key in hockey....Last nights TORTORELLA press conference was FANTASTIC....Make no mistake....SATHER needs to give this guy a few more players to work with.....Rangers are not far away. It is hard to win the cup....Look at BOSTON losing to CAROLINA and then the disaster loss to Philly and then FINALLY getting there.

I like the makeup here......In my opinion there is NO WAY Torts should not be the coach here....Get him a few more horses and this team could win it all.

Beat the Pens pease, If possible take Crosby out. Win it all for Jagr.

Kershaw

Not really a large portion of CBJ fans aren't exactly looking at it objectively.

If he "disappears" and still puts up close to a point per game in the regular season I'm ok with that. But maybe he just had stretches of ineffectiveness much like practically every player in NHL history.

Yes his playoff performance was lacking, think he is better next year. Keep in mind he had less playoff experience than Kreider. Not an excuse, but it's hard to be the "guy" in that situation going against top pairings.

Toews has 4 points in 10 games, and just scored his first goal. **** happens. HF just like being dramatic.

CBJ fans said it after the trade last year too. I think I will take their word for it since they've watched him play every single game of his career to formulate a valid opinion on the player.

Toews earns the benefit of the doubt. He's 25 and has already won the Conn Smythe and Stanley Cup, as the best player on the winning team.

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
Something to mind; we have passers. We need shooters.

Watch the unthinkable happen. Devils buy out Kovy, Ranger buy out Richards. Kovy a shooter signs here. Richards disapears in the sunset & calls it a career after bounceing around from team to team & waiver wire after wavier wire claim, only to fall to the ECHL rollher hockey leauge, than signs with a KHL minor leauge affliate that plays all it's games in Siberia. Or Richards goes back to Tampa bay & flourishes.

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
CBJ fans said it after the trade last year too. I think I will take their word for it since they've watched him play every single game of his career to formulate a valid opinion on the player.

Toews earns the benefit of the doubt. He's 25 and has already won the Conn Smythe and Stanley Cup, as the best player on the winning team.

You've watched Callahan play every game of his career and no one agrees with your opinion on him.

I've seen what SOME of them have said, it wasn't a consensus opinion. Similar to how Gaborik was so terrible in some fans eyes here after he was traded right? Must be the truth it came from HF.

Benefit of the doubt goes to the proven playoff player while a guy playing in his second post season doesn't get the same? Makes sense. I'm going to excuse Richards playoff performance now since he won a Conn Smythe.

You tend to overstate facts an cherry pick argument, I'll agree to disagree just because it's easier. Let's just say I'm not really worried about it, considering this was a garbage roster right?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

Nash has had declining stats his whole career. He is seldom found in front of the net. For a 6' 4" guy he is not physical very often.

He has flashes of brilliance and maybe playing in the East will be more to his liking but I think the majority of HFers are glad that he is gone or at a minimum have come to the conclusion the Jackets are better off without him and with Dubi, Arty, Erixon and the pick.

Kershaw is much more on point here imo.

Kershaw

You've watched Callahan play every game of his career and no one agrees with your opinion on him.

Actually, some were beginning to side by my opinion, not sure what this has to do with Nash however.

I've seen what SOME of them have said, it wasn't a consensus opinion. Similar to how Gaborik was so terrible in some fans eyes here after he was traded right? Must be the truth it came from HF.

Nash's play was always questioned as being lethargic at times. How else could he have gotten only 59 pts playing with Jeff Carter and Vaclav Prospal in a season where the Jackets were expected to make the playoffs, but instead finished dead last in the NHL.

Benefit of the doubt goes to the proven playoff player while a guy playing in his second post season doesn't get the same? Makes sense. I'm going to excuse Richards playoff performance now since he won a Conn Smythe.

That's not quite similar. Richards is a shell of himself pre lockout hockey. In reference, Todd Bertuzzi was considered a superstar forward during the year Richards won the cup. That was 9 seasons ago. Toews won his Conn Smythe only 3 seasons ago and his scoring rate has gone up each season. They are not even remotely similar scenarios.

You tend to overstate facts an cherry pick argument, I'll agree to disagree just because it's easier. Let's just say I'm not really worried about it, considering this was a garbage roster right?

Yup.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Pretty frustrating season overall. How we got to round 2 is baffling when you think about it. And it sucked to see that certain players couldn't elevate their game in the playoffs.
I hope for their sake that the lockout was a huge part of the problem...

Johnny boy will probably stay. And why can't we hire a second assistant? Suit up, Leetch!

How is it baffling? This is a pretty solid team. Are there things that need to be fixed? Sure. But posts like this just bewilder me.

How is it baffling that a team with talent like this got to the 2nd round? We have a star player in Nash, a superstar goalie in Lundqvist, very solid D, and very solid forward depth. There are problems (most noticeably with secondary scoring and the bottom 6), but these are problems that shouldn't stop a team with the talent ours has from winning a round in the playoffs.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Twenty f*ckin years
Oct 8, 2010
Nash has had declining stats his whole career. He is seldom found in front of the net. For a 6' 4" guy he is not physical very often.

He has flashes of brilliance and maybe playing in the East will be more to his liking but I think the majority of HFers are glad that he is gone or at a minimum have come to the conclusion the Jackets are better off without him and with Dubi, Arty, Erixon and the pick.

Kershaw is much more on point here imo.

Awesome.

Trades are made between two teams, though. Rangers are happy with Nash for Anisimov/Dubi/1st.

RGF

Apr 6, 2003
NYC
Visit site
Buyout richards. See what you can get for dz.

Definitely disappointing season. Agree coaching should see a shift particularly assistants.

Let some prospects play for roles and then let the play: miller, lindberg, fast, mci, most likely. Give Haley a shot On 4th line with Boyle being 4c and pyatt on wing

My problem with Nash in playoffs- always tried to make one too many moves. Need to just shoot when you have a lane sometimes.

I think team just did not have the extra gear or "it" factor like some of the better teams have when they need bring themselves to a higher level. Yes coaching needs to be turned over to some degree- I hate watching the team dump into offensive zone at es or pp. But many of the players you would think would be able to get to that higher level, ex lundqvist, did not. That's why we failed this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad