Post-Game Talk: End of Season Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Twenty f*ckin years
Oct 8, 2010
The funny thing is that the Jackets still suck.

:laugh: I wouldn't say they suck. I think they would have made the playoffs if the season were longer. I like what they're building in Columbus. We'll see if they can take another step next season. A lot of it depends on if Bobrovsky was a fluke or not.

Rangers were the better team, though, for sure.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
And I keep seeing people wanting to move DZ. Why? He's relatively cheap, under salary control, and is a pretty damn solid d-man. If anything, the d-man we should be looking to move is Girardi (and that's if we choose to move one). He will be a UFA, will command 5+M (potentially coming close to 6 with the right offer), and we simply will not be able to afford him.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
:laugh: I wouldn't say they suck. I think they would have made the playoffs if the season were longer. I like what they're building in Columbus. We'll see if they can take another step next season. A lot of it depends on if Bobrovsky was a fluke or not.

The Jackets suck regardless. Espen can take that to the bank.

Kershaw

The Rangers made the playoffs. The Jackets failed to.

So?

This is a very ridiculous argument. :laugh: The Jackets would've made the playoffs in the EC due to goal differential advantage over the Islanders. They were one of the best teams in the league down the stretch. It is not a stretch to suggest these two teams are neck and neck to each other, hence the 1 pt separation between the two.

If Bob is a fluke, the Jackets miss the playoffs by 15 points next year.

And if Stepan and Brassard are flukes, then the Rangers miss the playoffs by a wide margin too.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
So?

This is a very ridiculous argument. :laugh: The Jackets would've made the playoffs in the EC due to goal differential advantage over the Islanders. They were one of the best teams in the league down the stretch. It is not a stretch to suggest these two teams are neck and neck to each other, hence the 1 pt separation between the two.

It is? How so? Making the playoffs is a lot better than not making them. Sorry, but the Jackets failed down the stretch. Our team did not.

And if Stepan and Brassard are flukes, then the Rangers miss the playoffs by a wide margin too.

How would Stepan be a fluke? He's been improving on a steady incline his entire career. Give your head a shake for posting something like that.

And Brassard? Secondary scoring from him is equal to play from Bob? My God are you grasping for straws.

RangersChamps2417

May 9, 2011
Northern NJ
Only 7 other NHL accomplished what the Rangers did:

Kings, Pens, Bruins, Sharks, Hawks, Wings and Sens.

Pretty impressive list right there.

Keep the same roster. Look into adding a healthy Clowe, or maybe Morrow on the cheap end with less concussion issues. Staal needs to play a full season. Bring back Richards for another go around only if he promises not be lazy in the offseason and shows the will to be a real leader.

I think 46-50 wins next season with a full camp and a healthy Staal and Clowe.

Bruin fan in total PEACE.......I live in NJ so I watch a lot of the RANGERS. Just my opinion but I think you are crazy to not want TORTS as the coach here. The RANGERS have a great great nucleus....They play a SYSTEM and it is a system that is built to win the CUP. SIMILAR to DETROIT and BOSTON.
The reason you have not won yet is simply DEPTH.

You lost to the BRUINS because players 8-12 are not as good. Having STAAL back will be VIG for you next season and replacing DORSETT and PYAT and RICHARDS who does not fit this system....Buy out Richards

I believe STABILITY is key in hockey....Last nights TORTORELLA press conference was FANTASTIC....Make no mistake....SATHER needs to give this guy a few more players to work with.....Rangers are not far away. It is hard to win the cup....Look at BOSTON losing to CAROLINA and then the disaster loss to Philly and then FINALLY getting there.

I like the makeup here......In my opinion there is NO WAY Torts should not be the coach here....Get him a few more horses and this team could win it all.
I agree totally with you guys. We are very close and with a few moves to add depth (through FA) we can be a stanley cup contender next season for sure. I feel that if Clowe and Staal were healthy, we wouldn't be sitting here right now wondering what if either. Getting Kreider and Miller bigger minutes will help add depth as well. We're moving in the right direction, and I think that next season, with a full camp and an offseason to add what we need, we'll be right back to the top.

In Terms of Torts, I think that he should stay for next season. We need to give him a full camp with his style. If he is fired, the only replacement I'd want is Alain Vigneault. I'm a huge fan of him and he would bring a fresh style to the team

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Twenty f*ckin years
Oct 8, 2010
Yeah, because I clearly said that.

What is "so?" supposed to imply?

Whatever excuse you'd like to make for them means nothing. The conference comparison is hilarious. You can't say "oh, this team would have made it in the other conference". There has been literally not a single East/West matchup this season, so there is no comparable.

They did not make the playoffs, plain and simple. The Rangers did, and they made it to round two.

They are, objectively, a better team than Columbus.

Kershaw

It is? How so? Making the playoffs is a lot better than not making them. Sorry, but the Jackets failed down the stretch. Our team did not.

Of course making the playoffs is a lot better lol. But the Jackets are team that is very close to the Rangers, hence the one point separation between the two teams.

How would Stepan be a fluke? He's been improving on a steady incline his entire career. Give your head a shake for posting something like that.

How would Bob be a fluke? He was a dominant rookie goalie that struggled his 2nd year due to lack of defense on the Flyers. He goes to the Jackets and becomes the most valuable player in the NHL (26.6 GVT over Lundqvist 26.5 GVT).

And Brassard? Secondary scoring from him is equal to play from Bob? My God are you grasping for straws.

Brassard was producing at a near PPG pace for the Rangers, if he goes down the drain then the Rangers secondary scoring is dried up due to lack of production from 2C.

KreiMeARiver*

And I keep seeing people wanting to move DZ. Why? He's relatively cheap, under salary control, and is a pretty damn solid d-man. If anything, the d-man we should be looking to move is Girardi (and that's if we choose to move one). He will be a UFA, will command 5+M (potentially coming close to 6 with the right offer), and we simply will not be able to afford him.

DING DING DING!!! I couldn't possibly agree more.

Girardi seems like the kind of player that will underperform his next contract...big time. I see his skills declining faster than other guys.

Kershaw

What is "so?" supposed to imply?

Whatever excuse you'd like to make for them means nothing. The conference comparison is hilarious. You can't say "oh, this team would have made it in the other conference". There has been literally not a single East/West matchup this season, so there is no comparable.

They did not make the playoffs, plain and simple. The Rangers did, and they made it to round two.

They are, objectively, a better team than Columbus.

Disagree. The conference comparison is not really silly at all. The Blue Jackets according to the playoff tiebreaker would make it in over the Blue Jackets. I think they are very close to the Rangers roster, hence 1 pt separation.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
I don't have an issue with the D, why cant they roll with the same group? McD, Girardi , Staal, Del Zotto, Moore, Stralman. IF Staal was healthy in the playoffs it would of made a huge difference. I honestly think the Rangers would of took Boston to 7

They need to fix the offense, Richards may as well go and sign Weiss.

Kershaw

Yes. You absolutely did. You were called on it and now are back-peddling. Don't worry. We know what you mean when you post. You can try and pull this crap with other posters but it won't work on someone like BB or myself.

Nope. No I did not. Keep trying though.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Of course making the playoffs is a lot better lol. But the Jackets are team that is very close to the Rangers, hence the one point separation between the two teams.

Please. The Jackets are a team that road a so-far one-year wonder into the playoffs. The Rangers have a superstar goalie, but the team is better up and down the lines.

How would Bob be a fluke? He was a dominant rookie goalie that struggled his 2nd year due to lack of defense on the Flyers. He goes to the Jackets and becomes the most valuable player in the NHL (26.6 GVT over Lundqvist 26.5 GVT).

You do know that he has never even played a 60+ game full season, right? In his semi-full season, he posted moderate numbers. He sucked the next season and was traded. Now, this season, he played under 40 games and was lights out. Let's see if he can keep that pace up over a 60+ game season from him. I have my doubts. As of right now, he's a one-year wonder.

Brassard was producing at a near PPG pace for the Rangers, if he goes down the drain then the Rangers secondary scoring is dried up due to lack of production from 2C.

Again, secondary scoring is not equivalent to a starting goaltender. Your argument is laughable and I will not address it further.

I assume if we had John Mitchell and his wicked FENBRO and Corgi we'd be golden.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
Considering that we got to the 2nd round with our supposed heavy contributors being largely absent, it raises the very reasonable scenario of "What if" ?

How far would we have gone if those who should deliver, actually deliver ?

Before we complain too much about the team or the system, maybe its also prudent to consider the fact that we are lacking contributions the team depended on from singular players. Contributions that if added to the equation would have possibly shifted the outcome of the series.

So the question then becomes: If our guys had delivered, instead of stooping into an incredible lack of form: Could we have gone all the way.

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
Nash has had declining stats his whole career.

Except that isn't even true.

'02-'03 - .53 PPG
'03 -'04 - .71 PPG
'05-'06 - 1 PPG
'06-'07 - .76 PPG
'07-'08 - .86 PPG
'08-'09 - 1.01 PPG
'09-'10 - .88 PPG
'10-'11 - .88 PPG
'11-'12 - .71 PPG
'12-'13 - .95 PPG

I bolded the years he regressed from the previous years performance to make it easy, it's happened 3 times. Twice after performing at a PPG pace and the final time in his last season in CBJ. But declining stats his entire career has a nice ring to it when trying to prove your point so I understand why you used it.

He has flashes of brilliance and maybe playing in the East will be more to his liking but I think the majority of HFers are glad that he is gone or at a minimum have come to the conclusion the Jackets are better off without him and with Dubi, Arty, Erixon and the pick.

They may be, but name me some NHLers who don't go through streaks please? CBJ may be a better team now, but that's because you got good players back in the trade which added depth to a shallow roster. Still no playoffs but I suspect you'll make it in the next few years.

Kershaw

Please. The Jackets are a team that road a so-far one-year wonder into the playoffs. The Rangers have a superstar goalie, but the team is better up and down the lines.

The Rangers rode the coattails of Derek Stepan into the post season. He, by your logic can also be a 1 year wonder? The Rangers definitely don't make it without him.

You do know that he has never even played a 60+ game full season, right? In his semi-full season, he posted moderate numbers. He sucked the next season and was traded. Now, this season, he played under 40 games and was lights out. Let's see if he can keep that pace up over a 60+ game season from him. I have my doubts. As of right now, he's a one-year wonder.

.915 sv% is an excellent season for a rookie goalie, especially one that started 54 games. His next season was a disaster, yes it was. But a lot might've had to do with the dreaded sophomore slump and the fact that the Flyers truly make their goalies look awful. The Jackets defense should also be given credit for Bob's turnaround along with their defensive structure of their forward corps. Tyutin, Nikitin, Johnson, Wisniewski, Erixon and Prout are an elite defense corps, very similar to that of the Rangers.

Again, secondary scoring is not equivalent to a starting goaltender. Your argument is laughable and I will not address it further.

I did not insinuate that they are comparable and I agree that they are not equivalents of each other. I just stated that Brassard's run can easily be a fluke.

I assume if we had John Mitchell and his wicked FENBRO and Corgi we'd be golden.

If this doesn't classify as trolling, I'm not sure what will.

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY

Blue Jackets don't suck. They have a nice mix of young players some of whom are vets that have a ton of playoff experiance, a few of them got that with the Rangers. They are lookingto extend Gabs & Bob was NOT a fluke. The flyers should have stuck with him & let him develop than going after breezy who has wanted out of Philly since he was benched in favor of Bob at Winter Classic.

Oh, and now with realigment coming we are gonna see the Jackets quite often the coming years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad