Post-Game Talk: End of Season Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ilovemymum

recreational MD
Feb 17, 2010
Not a Torts hater, but when so many players fail to deliver, and special teams are dysfunctional over time, it's easier to change the coach, and the system with it. Gaborik, Richards, Nash in when it really mattered. Loved the deal this summer, but that won't happen again. This must be the worst possible time to trade Richards.
Just tired of watching this kind of hockey, and the eternal line juggling. When USSR had the best line in history, they ate, drank and went to the toilet toghether for 49 weeks a year. The lack if chemistry for the assumed top players mentioned above, has been evident this year. And get a system where the defensemen is more involved in the attack.

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
Not a Torts hater, but when so many players fail to deliver, and special teams are dysfunctional over time, it's easier to change the coach, and the system with it. Gaborik, Richards, Nash in when it really mattered. Loved the deal this summer, but that won't happen again. This must be the worst possible time to trade Richards.
Just tired of watching this kind of hockey, and the eternal line juggling. When USSR had the best line in history, they ate, drank and went to the toilet toghether for 49 weeks a year. The lack if chemistry for the assumed top players mentioned above, has been evident this year. And get a system where the defensemen is more involved in the attack.

Richards can't be traded. Cap advantage recapture would absolutely kill us. Buyout is the only option.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I think this is one of the worst UFA classes in some time. It terrifies me that we will buy out Richards then use that cap space to sign Mike Ribeiro or Roy to a multi year deal.

I don't think they'll target a center if they pursue anyone in free agency. Ideally, you'd like to see Lindberg or Miller make the squad coming out of camp as the 4th line center, and gradually push Boyle to the 4th line over the course of the season. The only forward that I could see the Rangers pursuing in free agency is Horton. Trades for a Vanek or Eriksson are intriguing, but, what are the Rangers giving up to make those kind of deals? You really cannot move Del Zotto until you have a firm idea of what is going on with Staal.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ

I don't think Torotrella goes anywhere yet. Prior to this season, he's had the arrow pointed up since he got here. Like someone else said, he's got a final four and a final eight finish in the past two seasons. Plus, the organization as a whole will take a mulligan for the strike-shortened season, and the subsequent overhaul of the roster.

However, this season was not one of Tortorella's better coaching performances, so he uses up some faith from management. He needs to focus on the talent he's been provided with, and structure a better system to fit his personnel. This team had better come out strong next year, or he will be on the hot seat.

JayQueensNY88*

It was a crazy, up and down, inconsistent season.

Only constant was the awesome craziness of HF.

Looking forward to next year.

:cheers:!

Yeah there were so many up parts about it. Idk what u were watching. This year was a disaster. Apparently your eyes weren't fully open

JayQueensNY88*

I think if NYR is to move one of Staal or DZ it should be Staal Wile over rated he will fetch more,he's got **** luck and been injured past 2 seasons. NYR has enough depth,I'd move to Staal. I think perfect partner to deal with would be Edm

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Only 7 other NHL accomplished what the Rangers did:

Kings, Pens, Bruins, Sharks, Hawks, Wings and Sens.

Pretty impressive list right there.

Keep the same roster. Look into adding a healthy Clowe, or maybe Morrow on the cheap end with less concussion issues. Staal needs to play a full season. Bring back Richards for another go around only if he promises not be lazy in the offseason and shows the will to be a real leader.

I think 46-50 wins next season with a full camp and a healthy Staal and Clowe.

qwertyaas

LGR@
Feb 19, 2008
New York
I think if NYR is to move one of Staal or DZ it should be Staal Wile over rated he will fetch more,he's got **** luck and been injured past 2 seasons. NYR has enough depth,I'd move to Staal. I think perfect partner to deal with would be Edm

Good idea. We saw how are D played with Staal out. And he's a glass man getting injured.... By a puck to the eye.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
I would agree, but I think this team has too many holes to fill to be a contending cup caliber team, they were playing abysmal for most of the year. I would rather see the Rangers lose and draft high end talent for a few years rather than see constant mediocre hockey leading to average prospects like Miller and Kreider instead of high end ones like RNH and Duchene.

Top 4 finish + top 8 finish = not mediocre. NYR won't tank. Never have, never will.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Merged the two "Post Game/Post Season" threads into here.

Loff

Lafdaddy
Dec 7, 2007
Soft euro
Pretty frustrating season overall. How we got to round 2 is baffling when you think about it. And it sucked to see that certain players couldn't elevate their game in the playoffs.
I hope for their sake that the lockout was a huge part of the problem...

Johnny boy will probably stay. And why can't we hire a second assistant? Suit up, Leetch!

Vickers8

Pretty frustrating season overall. How we got to round 2 is baffling when you think about it. And it sucked to see that certain players couldn't elevate their game in the playoffs.

Johnny boy will probably stay. And why can't we hire a second assistant? Suit up, Leetch!

How about Gravy?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Rick Nash pulled a great disappearing act. Will get a pass because he's not a soft European.

As a Blue Jackets fan you guys unfortunately had better get used to this. He was addition by subtraction for us. If he had the heart of Callahan you'd have an all-time great. Unfortunately I don't think he is anywhere close.

Vickers8

As a Blue Jackets fan you guys unfortunately had better get used to this. He was addition by subtraction for us. If he had the heart of Callahan you'd have an all-time great. Unfortunately I don't think he is anywhere close.

Definitely has to play more physical and compete harder for the puck

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

I don't think it's a matter of heart. The effort is clearly there. He just tries to do too much on his own. In the regular season he can get away with that, but in the playoffs, he's going to be checked much tighter.

He needs to make use of his teammates more.

Bojakees*

Bruin fan in total PEACE.......I live in NJ so I watch a lot of the RANGERS. Just my opinion but I think you are crazy to not want TORTS as the coach here. The RANGERS have a great great nucleus....They play a SYSTEM and it is a system that is built to win the CUP. SIMILAR to DETROIT and BOSTON.
The reason you have not won yet is simply DEPTH.

You lost to the BRUINS because players 8-12 are not as good. Having STAAL back will be VIG for you next season and replacing DORSETT and PYAT and RICHARDS who does not fit this system....Buy out Richards

I believe STABILITY is key in hockey....Last nights TORTORELLA press conference was FANTASTIC....Make no mistake....SATHER needs to give this guy a few more players to work with.....Rangers are not far away. It is hard to win the cup....Look at BOSTON losing to CAROLINA and then the disaster loss to Philly and then FINALLY getting there.

I like the makeup here......In my opinion there is NO WAY Torts should not be the coach here....Get him a few more horses and this team could win it all.

SupersonicMonkey*

There is no one else I'd prefer more than Brian Leetch to run the power play. Sullivan can stay if his only responsibility is to coach the defense and penalty kill.

The two major acquisitions this summer should, IMO, be Leetch hired to run the power play and a young puck rushing offensive defenseman for Leetch to mentor.

If we got.our hands on a Ryan Murphy and put him under Leetch's tutelage, we could strike gold and our power play could blossom.

SupersonicMonkey*

Bruin fan in total PEACE.......I live in NJ so I watch a lot of the RANGERS. Just my opinion but I think you are crazy to not want TORTS as the coach here. The RANGERS have a great great nucleus....They play a SYSTEM and it is a system that is built to win the CUP. SIMILAR to DETROIT and BOSTON.
The reason you have not won yet is simply DEPTH.

You lost to the BRUINS because players 8-12 are not as good. Having STAAL back will be VIG for you next season and replacing DORSETT and PYAT and RICHARDS who does not fit this system....Buy out Richards

I believe STABILITY is key in hockey....Last nights TORTORELLA press conference was FANTASTIC....Make no mistake....SATHER needs to give this guy a few more players to work with.....Rangers are not far away. It is hard to win the cup....Look at BOSTON losing to CAROLINA and then the disaster loss to Philly and then FINALLY getting there.

I like the makeup here......In my opinion there is NO WAY Torts should not be the coach here....Get him a few more horses and this team could win it all.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Hope you are right

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad