OT - NO POLITICS End of February- hoping for early Spring.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
My car has adaptive cruise control too. Was a bit distrustful of it at first, but now I really like it. Further reduces driver fatigue, especially on long trips, which is handy, as long as you don't then get too complacent.
My car has that....theoretically, I mean, the buttons all appear to be there, and it lets me select how big of a gap I want...I read the manual and everything but so far I've not been able to get the "adaptive" aspect to work.

I consider myself a relatively tech savvy person but I swear these new fangled cars with all their doodads can frustrate the daylights outta me sometimes :laugh: :wally:

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
I like to watch this guy's videos.

I was curious about this ship just because it's ridiculously over the top.

I cannot imagine spending over $31,000 for a few days at sea. I don't care if it's super duper first class or whatever.

I shudder to think of being on a boat with that many people. Ugh. It's like a giant amusement park on water.

If I was going on a cruise I think I'd go with a smaller ship.

Supposedly, Icon of the Sea is taller than the Empire State Building, length-wise.

It also touts "neighborhoods" on the ship.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Central air quote came in. For 1800 sq ft, one zone, one condenser and air handler…18 grand! I’ve had people tell me that’s crazy high and people say it’s way too low

To me that’s insanely high. I was expecting 10, insulated and installed. Considering i had 2200 sq ft done a few years ago for under 8k, with two zones, two condensers and two blowers. 18 seems astronomical to me

• Wow
Reactions: BMC

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Central air quote came in. For 1800 sq ft, one zone, one condenser and air handler…18 grand! I’ve had people tell me that’s crazy high and people say it’s way too low

To me that’s insanely high. I was expecting 10, insulated and installed. Considering i had 2200 sq ft done a few years ago for under 8k, with two zones, two condensers and two blowers. 18 seems astronomical to me
Sometimes renting doesn't seem all that bad.

Sometimes.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL

Just AC or furnace too?

Not sure about NE, but here in Chicago, that quote is ridiculous.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617

Not sure if you're in Massachusetts, but we had ours replaced and went with

HVAC Services in Wakefield & Greater Boston, MA | Falite Bros

And they did right by us.

Reactions: TD Charlie

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005

not worth it. id go with a ductless split instead.

Reactions: Ladyfan

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
This would be just AC. Ducts, condenser, air handler, insulation on the ducts and install. 18 seems absurd to me

we had to replace our ancient system 2 years. The refrigerant was no longer legal and a compressor had blown.

Duct work remained. As is.

2 zones. So 2 new compressors and 2 new air handlers , new style refrigerant and control system all in was 11K.

• Love

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Not sure if you're in Massachusetts, but we had ours replaced and went with

HVAC Services in Wakefield & Greater Boston, MA | Falite Bros

And they did right by us.
Down in the Southcoast area!
not worth it. id go with a ductless split instead.
Considering that as an option for sure. We would probably need a few though, costs might be similar.

we had to replace our ancient system 2 years. The refrigerant was no longer legal and a compressor had blown.

Duct work remained. As is.

2 zones. So 2 new compressors and 2 new air handlers , new style refrigerant and control system all in was 11K.
That seems more reasonable!

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Just had my first Five Guys burger experience. Holy moly delicious. Along with the real fries best fast food burger I’ve had. Got mayo tomato onion jelepeno on it.
I love Five Guys but it's so expensive nowadays that I haven't been in years

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
1709016058366.png

Reactions: BMC

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Made cookies using Bob's Red Mill egg substitute and I won't use it again. The cookies are ok but they aren't as fluffy and is a bit chewier. Going forward, if I need an egg substitute I'll use applesauce or egg beaters.

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena

Are mini splits an option? At that price you could have heat and ac in one. It would never get too cold on the south coast to need a backup. Though if the house has natural gas, it would be more expensive to heat.

or window units for life!

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Are mini splits an option? At that price you could have heat and ac in one. It would never get too cold on the south coast to need a backup. Though if the house has natural gas, it would be more expensive to heat.

Right now it’s baseboard heat with a gas furnace, and I prefer that heating method anyway so I’d like to keep it. I think we’re gonna see if this guy can come down at all on the 18k and get another quote. If it’s still gross then we would look into a few mini splits, and if that’s still too high…window units it is!

I don’t hate the idea of window units for this house though. The bedrooms could all have their own small unit, none would be facing the street. The kids aren’t with us all the time so it would probably be fairly inexpensive to run window units if we kept their doors closed and AC off until they arrived.

Reactions: BMC and Alicat

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
Right now it’s baseboard heat with a gas furnace, and I prefer that heating method anyway so I’d like to keep it. I think we’re gonna see if this guy can come down at all on the 18k and get another quote. If it’s still gross then we would look into a few mini splits, and if that’s still too high…window units it is!

I don’t hate the idea of window units for this house though. The bedrooms could all have their own small unit, none would be facing the street. The kids aren’t with us all the time so it would probably be fairly inexpensive to run window units if we kept their doors closed and AC off until they arrived.
Yea FWH gas is the best heat you can get in MA. Wont beat mini spits.

I am a sucker for window ACs. I read somewhere that your body really likes going from hot to cold in the summer and cold to warm in the winter. It has more of an effect than everything the same temp all the time.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

10 years ago, I bought a Mitsubishi split for air conditioning (I have base board forced hot water so no central). I have 3 levels and put it in my living room. It works great...no real Maintenace. I sleep on my pull-out couch when it is really hot. When I win the lottery (I don't play) I will put another one in my bedroom. Love it.

1709043638246.png

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
Have Bosch mini's in every room, should have done it years ago
I have one huge one that came with the house ($36k BTU). We relocated it to blow down the hallway into the bedrooms. We have a 1600sf ranch with a central hallway so our layout is perfect for it. Keeps the main room @ 70 degrees and bedrooms at 63. I heated the house 100% with it in 2021 and spent about $1200 for the season, which included running the electric baseboard heat about 10 mornings when it was under -5F.

We have a wood stove so I usually run the split when it is above 10 degrees then switch to the wood stove. If I had a more efficient (And smaller) unit I could probably run it 24/7 and spend under $1,000 to heat. I am located in central VT. No access to natural gas.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Yea FWH gas is the best heat you can get in MA. Wont beat mini spits.

I am a sucker for window ACs. I read somewhere that your body really likes going from hot to cold in the summer and cold to warm in the winter. It has more of an effect than everything the same temp all the time.
We are also replacing the furnace, zoning the heat and replacing the copper with pex. The pipes were losing so much heat, and the run of hot water throughout the entire house was way too long. It stays warm still, but I have to imagine the furnace is working overtime. Not good long term. I think with the updated heating system we will be perfectly fine. It's the summer that I'm concerned about, but the more I think about it, the more sense it makes to just use window units.

Reactions: Alicat
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad