OT - NO POLITICS End of February- hoping for early Spring.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Night skiing with the twins at Pats Peak could not have gone any better. One of them picked it up immediately, first time down, without a single word of instruction or advice. I’ve never seen anything like it. His twin needed a little more attention but he was just as good after the first hour or so. Just needed me to be his hype man and get his confidence up

I thought we would end on an easier high note and surprise them with tubing, but after two trips down the tubing hill they wanted to put the boots back on to ski again!

Conditions were absolutely dreadful everywhere other than the kiddie carpet zones. My brother scoped out the next step up for the kids and said it was risky, so he advised against it. He and I did one extra run at the end of the night and it was terrifying. Even a gentler pitch was insanely dangerous due to ice. Worst conditions I’ve ever seen. Not even close. I was surprised they didn’t close the lifts and just run the carpets. It was that bad.

But still, I focus on the hard work from the kids. First timers at 9, you expect “my feet hurt” and “i can’t do this” but instead I heard “my favorite is French Fry and turning.” And “can we come back again?”

It was perfect.

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
Chili's
1) Where were you on June 15, 2011, when the Bruins won the Cup?

I was not a hockey fan at this time. I was probably at home watching Spongebob or something. Watching the highlights of that cup win on YT is fun, but it means very little to me.

2) Who has been the best Bruins fighter in the time frame of you becoming a Bruins fan?

Looch

3) Did you ever cheer for a team before you realized the Bruins are the best franchise on the planet to cheer for? We won't hold it against you if you did, you are in the right place now after all.

I haven't always been a hockey fan, but since becoming one, it's been Bruins all day every day.

4) Do you wear Bruins gear on game day? Do you have any rituals you could share?

I wear them to games. Not really a superstitious type of guy anymore. I had a couple in the past where I'd do X, Y, Z and the Bruins always won but then it didn't translate to playoff success so I stopped bothering :laugh:

5) Have you ever got into an altercation (not necessarily physical) with a fan from another team?

My brother is a Tampa fan so we always give each other shit, but never anything bad or harmful. We go to a Bruins/Bolts game once a year and all the Bruins fans who've given him shit have always been doing it in very good fun with a good attitude. One drunk group of college kids accidentally dropped a beer on him, but their apology seemed genuine, they offered to buy him beer/food/etc, but my brother just gave them a fist bump and told them not to worry about it. It was a Maroon jersey so I offered to throw it in the trash for him, but he refused :laugh:

I'm quite thankful that no one has been a genuine jerk to him yet. Helps that the Bruins have won literally every time we've gone to a Bruins/Bolts game. Considering we always go balcony and there can be some real pieces of work up there, I'd consider us very blessed/lucky.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Night skiing with the twins at Pats Peak could not have gone any better. One of them picked it up immediately, first time down, without a single word of instruction or advice. I’ve never seen anything like it. His twin needed a little more attention but he was just as good after the first hour or so. Just needed me to be his hype man and get his confidence up

I thought we would end on an easier high note and surprise them with tubing, but after two trips down the tubing hill they wanted to put the boots back on to ski again!

Conditions were absolutely dreadful everywhere other than the kiddie carpet zones. My brother scoped out the next step up for the kids and said it was risky, so he advised against it. He and I did one extra run at the end of the night and it was terrifying. Even a gentler pitch was insanely dangerous due to ice. Worst conditions I’ve ever seen. Not even close. I was surprised they didn’t close the lifts and just run the carpets. It was that bad.

But still, I focus on the hard work from the kids. First timers at 9, you expect “my feet hurt” and “i can’t do this” but instead I heard “my favorite is French Fry and turning.” And “can we come back again?”

It was perfect.

That's great. Enjoy the ride. :thumbu:

Reactions: TD Charlie

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena

It was perfect.

Great to hear it went well!

Surprised the rest of the mountain was so bad unless they had a flash freeze? Pats usually has good conditions.

We went to Black Mountain of NH. It was great, one of my new favorites. Lots of narrow trails in the woods. Plus a great view of Mt Washington from the top

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Great to hear it went well!

Surprised the rest of the mountain was so bad unless they had a flash freeze? Pats usually has good conditions.

We went to Black Mountain of NH. It was great, one of my new favorites. Lots of narrow trails in the woods. Plus a great view of Mt Washington from the top
I may have to check it out then, narrow tree runs are my favorite.

Pats had warm temps and rain Friday, then temps around 20 for most of Saturday and dipping towards 10 after dark. With Saturday crowds and the cold, it was just hard and fast at night. Crowds thinned out big time around 7pm, I’m sure people were pissed about the conditions

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I may have to check it out then, narrow tree runs are my favorite.

Pats had warm temps and rain Friday, then temps around 20 for most of Saturday and dipping towards 10 after dark. With Saturday crowds and the cold, it was just hard and fast at night. Crowds thinned out big time around 7pm, I’m sure people were pissed about the conditions
"Narrow tree runs" sounds like a great way for me to break multiple limbs. Mine, not the trees, lol.

Then again, I'm not a skier, thankfully :laugh:

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
I love those QR codes I bought but my god does it take forever to inventory stuff if you are being super detailed. It is 1000% worth it especially if you're moving or finding the need to have a comprehensive list for insurance purposes. It is also worth it if you just want to lay out everything in your bin or box and just want to put a photo of everything.

I'll have to get new insurance when I move so I wanted to have a comprehensive list on file with the agency just in case especially my memorabilia and any electronics.

My biggest tips are:

Use the barcode scanner when you add items to the bin. It will automatically pull up a photo of the item and a link to purchase it. Game changer if you are a painter/crafter. I was able to scan all my paints so now I know what colors I have and what brushes I own.

Take a photo of everything in the box and then using word/notepad, type the description of what is in the box. You can take this and paste it into an email so you can copy and paste it into the app. There's no desktop version so this is the quickest way I have found if you want to be detailed but are short on time

If you are putting boxes inside of boxes, get the large labels for the main box and smaller ones for the smaller boxes. You can "parent them" and the smaller boxes will show up under the main one. It is like a heirarchy list.

Don't try to do this all at once. You need to inventory over x days/weeks. Now, I had to seriously de clutter my art box but it took me 5 hours to de-clutter and inventory the box yesterday. It feels so good to have it all in one place but it was a lot of tetris to get everything in there.

Again, 1000% reccomend them but it does take time and a bit of trial and error to get into a rhythum.

I have one space to go that needs a deep clean/purge and pack. I am so shocked I got this all done by myself. I might have my mom pack the rest of the damn kitchen b/c I am so over it lol.

Reactions: ProdigalFan

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I want to like the ezpass system for tolls, but it's a trainwreck. NH and MA are both down. Seems the MA site is in a constant state of disaster.

Reactions: BMC and Alicat

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I love those QR codes I bought but my god does it take forever to inventory stuff if you are being super detailed. It is 1000% worth it especially if you're moving or finding the need to have a comprehensive list for insurance purposes. It is also worth it if you just want to lay out everything in your bin or box and just want to put a photo of everything.

I'll have to get new insurance when I move so I wanted to have a comprehensive list on file with the agency just in case especially my memorabilia and any electronics.

My biggest tips are:

Use the barcode scanner when you add items to the bin. It will automatically pull up a photo of the item and a link to purchase it. Game changer if you are a painter/crafter. I was able to scan all my paints so now I know what colors I have and what brushes I own.

Take a photo of everything in the box and then using word/notepad, type the description of what is in the box. You can take this and paste it into an email so you can copy and paste it into the app. There's no desktop version so this is the quickest way I have found if you want to be detailed but are short on time

If you are putting boxes inside of boxes, get the large labels for the main box and smaller ones for the smaller boxes. You can "parent them" and the smaller boxes will show up under the main one. It is like a heirarchy list.

Don't try to do this all at once. You need to inventory over x days/weeks. Now, I had to seriously de clutter my art box but it took me 5 hours to de-clutter and inventory the box yesterday. It feels so good to have it all in one place but it was a lot of tetris to get everything in there.

Again, 1000% reccomend them but it does take time and a bit of trial and error to get into a rhythum.

I have one space to go that needs a deep clean/purge and pack. I am so shocked I got this all done by myself. I might have my mom pack the rest of the damn kitchen b/c I am so over it lol.
I need to do that with my yarn lol

Reactions: Alicat

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Dropped off the car and got my rental. They gave me a Hyundai Sonata. The drivers seat is quite comfortable, but as for the rest of the car... my initial impression is not favorable. Hard to get in and out of...I bonked my head on the top of the door and twisted my knee, so that's going to take some getting used to lol. There's no shifter, just gigantic separate buttons for drive, park, reverse. It has a large sunroof but only one switch to operate both the cover and the roof itself. It doesn't appear to have an "express open" on the cover so you have to hold it down to open the cover all the way, but if you do that then it immediately starts opening the roof as soon as the cover is all the way back. Sometimes you just want the cover open and not the roof itself. Also not a fan of their "infotainment screen."

I think I'm going to be glancing through the owners manual tonight lol. I'm afraid what kind of gymnastics it will require to operate the windshield wipers :laugh:

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Dropped off the car and got my rental. They gave me a Hyundai Sonata. The drivers seat is quite comfortable, but as for the rest of the car... my initial impression is not favorable. Hard to get in and out of...I bonked my head on the top of the door and twisted my knee, so that's going to take some getting used to lol. There's no shifter, just gigantic separate buttons for drive, park, reverse. It has a large sunroof but only one switch to operate both the cover and the roof itself. It doesn't appear to have an "express open" on the cover so you have to hold it down to open the cover all the way, but if you do that then it immediately starts opening the roof as soon as the cover is all the way back. Sometimes you just want the cover open and not the roof itself. Also not a fan of their "infotainment screen."

I think I'm going to be glancing through the owners manual tonight lol. I'm afraid what kind of gymnastics it will require to operate the windshield wipers :laugh:
The sunroof on my Kia has a single button/slide switch that operates the shade and the glass. If I push the button, the shade opens half way and the glass just pops up to vent. If I slide the button just a smidge and then let it go, the shade opens all the way. If I slide the button all the way back and release, the shade and glass open all the way. Holding the slide will open the shade first until I release it, then if I'm still holding it the glass will open until I release.

I'm wondering if your Hyundai is a similar mechanism. I will say that it took me a while to get used to pulling that slider button back JUST enough to only open the shade and not the glass. Even now, if it's raining and I open the shade, I'm always nervous I went too hard on that f***ing button and the glass will open up too

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
The sunroof on my Kia has a single button/slide switch that operates the shade and the glass. If I push the button, the shade opens half way and the glass just pops up to vent. If I slide the button just a smidge and then let it go, the shade opens all the way. If I slide the button all the way back and release, the shade and glass open all the way. Holding the slide will open the shade first until I release it, then if I'm still holding it the glass will open until I release.

I'm wondering if your Hyundai is a similar mechanism. I will say that it took me a while to get used to pulling that slider button back JUST enough to only open the shade and not the glass. Even now, if it's raining and I open the shade, I'm always nervous I went too hard on that f***ing button and the glass will open up too
Yeah, I'm gonna have to play around with it, I think.

My Buick has common sense: one button for the cover, another one for the roof, the way God intended. ;)

Reactions: BMC and Alicat

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
I need to do that with my yarn lol
Go for it! Just get the smaller labels and you can put it on the label or on the bag/box your yarn is in. If your yarn is still in the packaging, you may me able to scan the barcode and it will automatically pop up.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK

Felt that way when I had a Nissan Rogue, I hated the car so much that when my car got hit a year ago I specifically requested a Rav 4. Similar to my Crosstrek but no sunroof.

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

I've owned my current car for about 18 months now and there are still buttons in it that I have no idea as to what they do. Have always been meaning to get the manual out and have a look, but you know, guys and instructions.... :o

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
I've owned my current car for about 18 months now and there are still buttons in it that I have no idea as to what they do. Have always been meaning to get the manual out and have a look, but you know, guys and instructions.... :o
I have the base model or my car. There alot of empty boxes where buttons existing on higher up models. There is too much to begin with, I cannot imagine the fully loaded version. There are two that I like:

1) Adaptive cruise control
2) Automatic high beams.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Speaking of cars, I went out to go to work this morning and mine wouldn't start. Called AAA and turns out it was the battery. They replaced it on the spot, only cost $200, and was up and running quickly, got to work only 35 minutes late.

Have to say, AAA is worth every penny.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Speaking of cars, I went out to go to work this morning and mine wouldn't start. Called AAA and turns out it was the battery. They replaced it on the spot, only cost $200, and was up and running quickly, got to work only 35 minutes late.

Have to say, AAA is worth every penny.
Make sure to save the reciept because they have a full warranty of 3 years for their batteries.

AAA is amazing

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Make sure to save the reciept because they have a full warranty of 3 years for their batteries.

AAA is amazing
I could've saved ~$30 on the battery if I went to O'Reilly, but between the extra time it would take me away from work and the warranties on the AAA one, it was absolutely worth getting it from AAA on the spot.

Reactions: BMC

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I could've saved ~$30 on the battery if I went to O'Reilly, but between the extra time it would take me away from work and the warranties on the AAA one, it was absolutely worth getting it from AAA on the spot.
Yeah that's really not a bad price at all for that service. The last battery I purchased was 160 and some change and I had the good fortune of doing it at my leisure. 200 done deal right then and there is a no brainer

Reactions: BMC

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I have the base model or my car. There alot of empty boxes where buttons existing on higher up models. There is too much to begin with, I cannot imagine the fully loaded version. There are two that I like:

1) Adaptive cruise control
2) Automatic high beams.

My car has adaptive cruise control too. Was a bit distrustful of it at first, but now I really like it. Further reduces driver fatigue, especially on long trips, which is handy, as long as you don't then get too complacent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad