OT - NO POLITICS End of February- hoping for early Spring.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Al Jarreau being completely drunk and Waylon Jennings walking out over Swahili were the best parts.

I've heard the Waylon Jennings story for 40 years, but I always thought it was urban legend. Did he really say "Ain't no good old boy gonna sing in Swahili"?

• Haha
Reactions: McGarnagle

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I’m still working up in the Maine mountains and last night was like a hurricane here. I felt like one of the three little pigs in his house of sticks. I couldn’t sleep - and I can sleep through ANYTHING.

I suppose I was also a little rattled because I hit a deer on the way back to camp after dinner out with the guys. It ran right in front of me and I had ZERO time to react. That really sucked. The truck is drivable and just needs a new bumper I think, but the deer was not so fortunate. :(

It’s 4 degrees Fahrenheit without the wind chill, and the locks to the gates are frozen solid. Don’t think there’s going to be any work today. The Local 567 contract states that in a situation such as this, we will be paid 2 hours for showing up, and will be released. So today won’t be a total loss.

Looking forward to a pancake breakfast with my union brothers once the foreman realizes today is a lost cause. He’s stubborn, but might have some sense. The wind chill is like -15 F here, and we work outside. Even though we’re dressed for winter weather, how productive does he really think today will be?

Are you OK? In my work I've seen deer strikes total cars & injure the people inside. I'm not surprised you had no time to react- deer are dumber than fence posts and will just run right out into the road.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Those grabber things are great, whoever invented it was a genius :nod:

Oh man, we had one of those at Argonaut Wine & Liquor when I was in Denver. A delicate device which required a deft hand.

It was great because believe me, you would not want to forage for lost or disgusting items "down there" between the registers and impulse buy area.

At one point we found a bag of Cheez-Its with a sell by date of 2002. This was in 2020.

• Wow
Reactions: BMC

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Are you OK? In my work I've seen deer strikes total cars & injure the people inside. I'm not surprised you had no time to react- deer are dumber than fence posts and will just run right out into the road.
I’m unharmed, @BMC. Thank you for asking.

If I was driving slower, I actually would have hit him/her dead center and done far worse damage to my truck.

I’m not happy about the damage to my truck, but I’m something of an animal lover and I’m also pretty upset that I hit and killed this poor creature. It just sucks all around :( The truck can be repaired…

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
Shitty few days at work.

My mom dropped of a mini cake and some flowers

View attachment 826807

And my husband made a prosciutto, mozz, and arugula pizza with a balsamic glaze so I didn’t have to worry about dinner

View attachment 826809

It’s nice to have people in your corner
arugula on pizza....do you guys read books during sex too....

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
I’m still working up in the Maine mountains and last night was like a hurricane here. I felt like one of the three little pigs in his house of sticks. I couldn’t sleep - and I can sleep through ANYTHING.

I suppose I was also a little rattled because I hit a deer on the way back to camp after dinner out with the guys. It ran right in front of me and I had ZERO time to react. That really sucked. The truck is drivable and just needs a new bumper I think, but the deer was not so fortunate. :(

It’s 4 degrees Fahrenheit without the wind chill, and the locks to the gates are frozen solid. Don’t think there’s going to be any work today. The Local 567 contract states that in a situation such as this, we will be paid 2 hours for showing up, and will be released. So today won’t be a total loss.

Looking forward to a pancake breakfast with my union brothers once the foreman realizes today is a lost cause. He’s stubborn, but might have some sense. The wind chill is like -15 F here, and we work outside. Even though we’re dressed for winter weather, how productive does he really think today will be?
Yikes!
Hope the pancakes were good!!

Reactions: rfournier103

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Another line item on the "Parents, please don't name your son a Jr" List

My bank cards expire next year, so I was mailed new ones. Fine.

Two weeks prior, my father got notice of fraud on his account, and that the bank was sending him new cards because of it.

We have the same address, we share an account for the two family, but each have our own accounts as well.

He never received his cards so he went into the bank today. They verified his name, address, ssn, and some transactions on his account. He walked out with a new set of cards but felt weird about it, so he took cash out at the ATM using his new cards. When he got home he checked his account, no sign of the ATM withdrawal.

They gave him cards for my personal accounts, and cancelled the ones they had mailed to me. I know it's a mistake, and luckily it's just my father and I, it's not a big deal for us...but bigger picture this seems like a massive f*** up.

And no, he has no access, authority, or association to my personal accounts.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario

Two weeks prior, my father got notice of fraud on his account, and that the bank was sending him new cards because of it.

We have the same address, we share an account for the two family, but each have our own accounts as well.

He never received his cards so he went into the bank today. They verified his name, address, ssn, and some transactions on his account. He walked out with a new set of cards but felt weird about it, so he took cash out at the ATM using his new cards. When he got home he checked his account, no sign of the ATM withdrawal.

They gave him cards for my personal accounts, and cancelled the ones they had mailed to me. I know it's a mistake, and luckily it's just my father and I, it's not a big deal for us...but bigger picture this seems like a massive f*** up.

It sounds like the banks in the US are as competent as the banks in Canada. We had nightmares with several banks after my parents passed, no one seemed to know what they were doing. Another bank screwed up my daughter's mortgage, it is hard to even describe.

Yesterday my other daughter got a debit card in the mail from a bank she has never dealt with. She spent all morning at a bank branch and then at the police station. It is mind boggling how pathetic all of this has been.

• Wow
Reactions: TD Charlie and BMC

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena

I hate Bank cards. Use them 2-3 times a year to get cash. Credit Cards on auto pay for me.

Reactions: TD Charlie

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
It's weird, Richard Lewis is one of those guys who I definitely know and recognize but I honestly couldn't tell you a single show or movie of his off the top of my head (other than Curb which has been referenced here and on Twitter).

I always got him mixed up with Richard Belzer too.

Richard Belzer passed away a few months ago :(

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
I’m unharmed, @BMC. Thank you for asking.

If I was driving slower, I actually would have hit him/her dead center and done far worse damage to my truck.

I’m not happy about the damage to my truck, but I’m something of an animal lover and I’m also pretty upset that I hit and killed this poor creature. It just sucks all around :( The truck can be repaired…

Aw Rob.

I can only imagine. I'm just glad you're okay. It's not your fault. Things happen. I would be upset as well. We all love animals. But if it comes down to a spilt second and it's you or the deer, I'm picking you. And you know I love animals.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

That sucks.
Gotta say I was always thankful my dad gave me a different middle name.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017

Happened to me in 2017. I was driving back late at night through the White Mountains of NH on the way back from a day trip to Quebec City and a deer just bolted in front of me. Crunched up the front left side of the bumper and I couldn't open the driver side door, had to climb out the passenger side. Fortunately the car was drivable and I was able to get home. Insurance covered it too.

I'm an animal lover and normally would feel bad but it was that a-hole's fault - he hit me, not the other way around. I don't even know where he wound up and what condition he was in since he was well out of sight by the time I stopped. I don't suspect it ended well for him given the damage and contact at 65 or 70 mph, but I didn't see where he landed or if he ran off under his own power.

Reactions: rfournier103

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
1709233583042.jpeg

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
When I lived in PA, which is known to have more deer per square mile than any other state, every 4th car in a parking lot had a smashed in bumper/hood. It was no secret why insurance companies lobbied hard for 2 deer limits instead of 1, doe season, bow season, muzzleloader season, etc. My landlord was a serious hunter and he bagged 5 deer; 2 for rifle, 1 doe, 1 bow, and 1 muzzleloader every year.

Not a hunter myself, but the venison he gave his tenants was superb.

Reactions: sooshii and BMC

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Just realized that the bank card fiasco was due in part to my father and I having the same PIN. I remember 30 years ago, running into the atm for my parents to get cash out. When i got my own account i used the same PIN cuz i just always remembered it

Apparently pops and I have had the same PIN all this time and neither ever changed it. We are simple men, and woefully consistent!

• Haha
Reactions: sooshii and BMC

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Made Kale Pesto last night, would rank it third

1) Garlic Scape Pesto

2) Basil Pesto
3) Kale Pesto.

Never had Kale pesto. But where the Bride is Portuguese I can live off of Portuguese kale soup.

Caldo verde.

Outstanding stuff.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Never had Kale pesto. But where the Bride is Portuguese I can live off of Portuguese kale soup.

Caldo verde.

Outstanding stuff.
I'm not a fan of a lot of the Portuguese dishes, and I don't care for kale...but a good kale soup? Just tell me what time dinner is at, I'll be there an hour early.

Reactions: Gee Wally
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad