Prospect Info: Emil Heineman

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
At the same time you don't lose Ylonen on waivers after having a 0.5ppg end to his season. 16 points in half a year in a fourth line role is fairly impressive and shows there's something there worth exploring. RHP and Heinemen are waiver exempt, they're competing with each other and Farrell. I would say a very small chance Slaf also starts in Laval if two of those three guys outplay him.

There will probably be injuries though so they probably won't need to make a decision too quickly.
I am a huge Ylonen fan! Habs have invested years developing him. Hopefully he comes to Camp and crushes it.

Pretty sure, they will try Ylonen for a full season in the NHL. I can see Heineman playing in the AHL this year before making the team in 2024.
Agreed and I will add he gets 10-20 games in the NHL this season

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I am a huge Ylonen fan! Habs have invested years developing him. Hopefully he comes to Camp and crushes it.

Agreed and I will add he gets 10-20 games in the NHL this season

Ylonen will get every shot possible to crack the line-up. I recall when he started to play with the Habs last year and you could clearly see his tempo/energy. As the games went along, complacency kicked in a bit. Still performed well but I believe he has to work on his consistency. Someone like RHP was just as good in his 1st game vs his last game (last season).

Only room for one of Ylonen and Heineman. Ylonen is not waivers exempt and has a slightly lower cap hit. Heineman would have to outperform him by a fair margin IMO.

I really like both players but I think Heineman is better. However, I have no problem with Heineman starting in the AHL with better talent to work with and is one of the 1st call up's

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Ylonen will get every shot possible to crack the line-up. I recall when he started to play with the Habs last year and you could clearly see his tempo/energy. As the games went along, complacency kicked in a bit. Still performed well but I believe he has to work on his consistency. Someone like RHP was just as good in his 1st game vs his last game (last season).

Only room for one of Ylonen and Heineman. Ylonen is not waivers exempt and has a slightly lower cap hit. Heineman would have to outperform him by a fair margin IMO.

I really like both players but I think Heineman is better. However, I have no problem with Heineman starting in the AHL with better talent to work with and is one of the 1st call up's
Up to the GM to find room for the players that are clearly ready!

Reactions: Habs4Life

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

This is true but there is only so much he can do to find that room. Good problems to have I guess and it will open up more next season as well. We are only going to get younger as each season moves along and some of the vet contracts expire or are off loaded.

Reactions: Tyson

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
I'd rather see Slaf play with a bit more talent & I think it's unlikely Armia doesn't make the opening night roster...

CC Suzuki Newhook
RHP Dach Anderson
Slaf DVo Monahan
Armia Evans Gally
Ylonen/Pez

Very curious to see how Barron shows up. After his solid WC, I could see him ready to take an opening night spot

Matheson Barron/Lindstrom
Guhle Savard
Xhekaj Harris
Kovacevic
The way I see it. Assuming ylonen and rhp make it and dvo comes back there is really only. 1 forward spot left. I think that will be a battle between Slaf and heineman.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
I don't think that moving Newhook to his off wing would represent a systemic move of wingers to their offside.

I also think that exploiting Newhook's shot more with him playing on his offside would've him a better role on a team that needs scorers. Newhook has a quality shot and, with a will to shoot more, there's no reason he can't be goal scorer. Analyzing a player through his stats, to date, is not always properly indicative take on a player.

Just saying...

Also, playing on you off wing isn't just teneficialwhen it comes to one-timers. It's beneficial when you cut to the net with the puck on your stick or when you just outright shoot the puck, with more angles to fool the opposing G.
Good post. I think msl puts an emphasis on shooting and will push new hook and dach to shoot more.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

I'm really hoping Slaf goes down. Barring an extraordinary camp.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
That's the key. If Heineman has a lights out camp and can help solidify the top-9 (we need some top-9/top-6 wingers to ice the best lineup), he should make the team. If not, AHL it is.

For Ylonen, he still needs earn his place in the lineup. Nothing should be handed to him.

If Ylonen's play means Armia becomes the 13th forward, fine.

As a side note,I'd love to see Heineman play to a level where we bastardize his name to Emil MoneyMan!

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
The real question is heineman vs Slaf this camp.
Really don't think this will be a thing

I know this won't 'sound great' but if people think that if it comes down to 1 final spot on the roster and the only 2 people fighting for it are somehow Slaf and Heineman, there is no universe that they give that spot to Heineman.
I know, I know, but what if Emil has an amazing camp!
They aren't placing the kid ahead of Slaf, that's just not gonna happen.

Truthfully, there really isn't any room for Heineman anyway, not right now
We can barely fit ylonen and Dvorak into the line up as it is

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I'm not to sure about that. Ylonen is not waivers exempt and has a slightly lower cap hit. Heineman would have to have a great camp and preseason games in order to force their hand and figure out the cap implications another way.

Heineman is waivers exempt with a slightly lower cap hit. I think this factors in the cap calculations for Hughes. No decision is made until it's deeper in camp though and I suspect Ylonen knows the situation as well so he's coming in hot as well.

And for the record, I'm a big Heineman fan.
If Heineman beats out Ylonen, I imagine they'll try to trade him if they think they can get something, and if they can't I think they'll risk waivers. Ylonen isn't a wunderkin and is a dime a dozen player so chances are he wouldn't get claimed anyways.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
If Heineman beats out Ylonen, I imagine they'll try to trade him if they think they can get something, and if they can't I think they'll risk waivers. Ylonen isn't a wunderkin and is a dime a dozen player so chances are he wouldn't get claimed anyways.
Ylonen hasn't been lights out in the AHL, TBH, although his 32 points (11 goals) in 39 games last year were his most impressive totals to date.

Maybe he gets claimed because of his speed and shot, but if he gets waived early, while teams look out to assess their own players, he likely won't get snagged.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Not sure. I'd say there is a 50/50 chance he gets claimed. Make no mistake, each GM is looking at all other teams on their roster crunch and who might be on waivers. Habs are not in position to make a waiver claim but many other teams are. They are very aware of our Ylonen situation. If we know about it, so do they.

Ylonen has size, skating, good shot, and good work ethic. Positive development. I won't cry if we loose him on waivers but I rather not loose him at this point. I think their is a fair chance he gets taken if put on waivers.

The other angle to this is where does Heineman play if he makes it? 2nd or 3rd line or 4th line minutes? I don't see the value of having him play 4th line all year when he is exempt from waivers and could play a huge role with Laval. I do like the idea of guys creating chemistry together in the AHL (Roy, Heineman, Farrell, Mesar, etc).

I think Ylonen is better suited to play 4th line minutes in the NHL at age 23/24 vs having Heineman in that role at age 21/22. RHP started at 23/24 and there is nothing wrong with that. Heineman can be one of the first call ups if we get into injury trouble and if not, there will be room for him next season.

Reactions: Durvann

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm really hoping Slaf goes down. Barring an extraordinary camp.

Not me. I will let his performance reveal the right path. Hoping for Slaf to go down means he is not that good and if he requires AHL time, we likely end up with a middle 6F vs a top line forward or top 6F. I'm not hoping for that.... if Slaf has to be sent down, that's not good bud. We are talking about a top 5 pick. Weaker draft but the expectation is we have a top 6F at the min. That's the benchmark and I think he's going to be just fine in the hands of MSL

I rather focus on what talent he is playing with. Playing him with Dvorak or Evans at center is not the right path IMO.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Not me. I will let his performance reveal the right path. Hoping for Slaf to go down means he is not that good and if he requires AHL time, we likely end up with a middle 6F vs a top line forward or top 6F. I'm not hoping for that.... if Slaf has to be sent down, that's not good bud. We are talking about a top 5 pick. Weaker draft but the expectation is we have a top 6F at the min. That's the benchmark and I think he's going to be just fine in the hands of MSL

I rather focus on what talent he is playing with. Playing him with Dvorak or Evans at center is not the right path IMO.
Play him with Monahan and Anderson.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal

There is always the Pacioretty development path.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Play him with Monahan and Anderson.
I'd do that if Dach played RW with Suzuki and Caufield. I'd play Heineman in the lineup if he has a good camp and we'd have a pretty strong lineup of forwards, actually.

Caufield - Suzuki - Dach
Slafkovsky -Monahan - Anderson
RHP - Newhook - Heineman
Armia - Dvorak - Gallagher

Matheson - Kovacevic
Guhle - Barron
Xhekaj - Savard
Harris

Mount Mambo
Jake The Snake

Reactions: CheldishGamibno

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Can't wait to see him. I have great hope on him. He have all qualities to become a very good NHL player, his skillset looks very very good. Two-way game, shot, skating, hands, he can surprise everyone. Habs have a good one with him! I'm 100% sure of his top 6 potential, he have a such a great shot and he have good passing ability aswell!!

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I'd do that if Dach played RW with Suzuki and Caufield. I'd play Heineman in the lineup if he has a good camp and we'd have a pretty strong lineup of forwards, actually.

Caufield - Suzuki - Dach
Slafkovsky -Monahan - Anderson
RHP - Newhook - Heineman
Armia - Dvorak - Gallagher

Matheson - Kovacevic
Guhle - Barron
Xhekaj - Savard
Harris

Mount Mambo
Jake The Snake
Pretty damn good combinations actually

Ad