Prospect Info: Emil Heineman

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
In think this group is much better.

Gally is close to Roy as a prospect. Beaulieu and Tinordi are probably similar to Mailloux and Struble.

But then you add Farrell, Kidney, Mesar, Heineman.

And you know we’ll have a second wave next year with Beck, Hutson, Reinbacher, etc.

No comparison IMO
Yeah but I feel we go through this every 3-4 years and then 90% of them bust..

Reactions: goforit

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
And most definitely should. We have seen many errors committed by past Habs regimes ( one offs usually not a thing but patterns / approach hurt ) and one that happened under Houle and Gainey was moving guys and not knowing what we had. So I'm all for giving as many guys as possible real shots. So Heinman maybe a bit better than Ylonen ? Well Ylonen we lose on waivers and Heineman we don't, so Ylonen stays and he gets a fair shot. No damage will happen to Heinman having to wait a bit. Some, many, might argue the 14 best forwards make the team and that's that, and I get it , I just disagree.

The last time the Habs lost a good player to waivers was approximately twenty years ago: Beauchemin and Hainsey.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
2012-13. Gallagher, Beaulieu, Tinordi, Bournival, Holland, Ellis, Pateryn, Kristo, Quailer. All were 'legit' prospects at the time. A few more guys came at the end of the season as well. Of course that meant Joey Tenute and Mike Blunden needed to be on the first line.

Quailer was never a legit prospect, I know there was a lot of hype for Beaulieu/Tinordi/Kristo. Ellis after his big Memorial Cup but I kept saying he was getting overrated. Holland I don't recall too much hype despite the big numbers in juniors.

Gallagher was a beauty though in Hamilton, was fun watching him there for the little time he was, Pateryn I didn't like that much, I thought his D partner Mac Bennett would be the better NHLer but Pateryn ended up being one of the rare Lefebvre wins as he really excelled from what I saw in the NCAA at least. I really thought Kristo was going to be a very good 2nd line winger for us, his speed and shot, even though the IQ was in question. I should have known better since I knew someone that lived blocks from him and heard lots of stories that certainly showing some poor decisions at best.

This time around you have a way better class on paper, Farrell was perhaps the 2nd best player in the NCAA at 21. But Kristo was perhaps the 2nd best player in his Senior year at age 22. Just as Primeau had one of the best seasons for a U-19 and U-20 goalie but so far it hasn't gone as well as hoped so far. Roy and Mailloux have shown they have high end offensive skills with of course some big holes in their games.

Dobes was just one of the top goalies in the NCAA. Heineman with his impressive debut in North America. Mesar could be an interesting prospect to follow if he makes the team, the skill, skating and speed are there. Hopefully Riley Kidney worked hard this off-season in the gym along with Roy and Farrell since those kids badly need it.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
The last time the Habs lost a good player to waivers was approximately twenty years ago: Beauchemin and Hainsey.
Except for the Drouin trade, MB was very good at assessing our players and not losing or trading good ones for less than their value.

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
Yeah but I feel we go through this every 3-4 years and then 90% of them bust..
I agree we get a quantity of players every so often but what we don’t see is that quantity of players paired with a quality of talent. Whats killed us in the past is player development within our farm system…..many of the successful teams take those quality players and turn them into (at least) serviceable NHL players. We, unfortunately, don‘t have a farm team staff that have a proven track record of developing (at least) serviceable NHL players. We have fired many of the sycophantic hires that killed cohesiveness but we have a long way to go.

Trabdy2

Nov 30, 2018
I think Heineman is going to be pushing hard for a roster spot. It'll be interesting to see how things take shape on the wings. I won't be surprised if he outplays multiple other players in camp that are more "expected" to make the team. I think it will be more of a question of how to handle the roster with consideration of waivers.

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
I'm thinking the following forwards are locks:
Suzuki, Dach, Newhook, Caufield, Monahan, Anderson, Dvorak, Gallagher (8)

I doubt Evans or Armia are getting waived so basically locked as well (2)

That leaves 3-4 spots that will be determined in training camp between:
Pezzetta, Slafkovsky, Ylonen, Harvey-Pinard, L.Andersson, Farrell, Heineman, Legare, Roy, Beck, Mesar, Condotta.

I'm betting on the 3 in bold so it's going to be real tough for Heineman to win a spot if everyone is healthy. Also betting they go with 8 dmen instead of 14 forwards or 3 goalies.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I think Heineman is going to be pushing hard for a roster spot. It'll be interesting to see how things take shape on the wings. I won't be surprised if he outplays multiple other players in camp that are more "expected" to make the team. I think it will be more of a question of how to handle the roster with consideration of waivers.
Absolutely agree.............not to mention how well he played in a short stint last year with the Rocket.
Armia and Gally are about to drop down the depth charts with kids like this coming into the lineup.
Love it!!

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think his style of game would be OK if he played with either of Dvorak or Evans. He's a north/south type with very good energy/skating and he has a very good shot. Not so sure he is the play making type or one with good vision as a winger.

So yeah, he could earn a bottom 6F spot for sure and perform well with the min's/optertunity that comes with it. I am a big fan of his game in terms of his ability to fill a middle 6 hole or a bottom 6 hole in the years to come.

I do like those strong boys who knows how to skate and can shoot the puck.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
i have him making our line up this year

Caufield - Suzuki - Anderson
Slafkovsky - Dach - Newhook
Heinemen - Monahan - Gallagher
RHP - Evans - Armia
Ylonen/Pezz

Dvorak ( injured )
That lineup shows how we sorely lack a top-6 forward right now, even in a development year.

Add a genuine top-6 Rain Anderson's spot and zlidehim down to the third line and you have an interesting lineup.

Caufield - Suzuki - XXX
Heinemen - Monahan - Anderson
RHP/Armia - Evans - Armia/Gallagher
Ylonen/Pezz

Dvorak ( injured )

In a perfect world, Heineman could develop chemistry with Suzuki and Caufield, bringing size and another shooting option that Anderson brings, but better hockey IQ than the veteran RW to complement the Caufield-Suzuki dynamic duo.

Caufield - Suzuki - Heineman
RHP - Monahan - Anderson
Armia - Evans - Gallagher
Ylonen/Pezz

Dvorak ( injured )

However, that's likely just wishful thinking at this stage.

If we could add a genuine top-6 RW (or see one of Heineman or Roy beat the odds and make it early -- both are lefties that have played RW), avoid sophomore slumps from our young DS and see Montembeault build off his International play, we could actually have a good enough team to make the playoffs, despite plenty of young, talented players still developing and a few other high end prospects the cusp of making the roster (one or two years).

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

Pezzetta, Slafkovsky, Ylonen, Harvey-Pinard, L.Andersson, Farrell, Heineman, Legare, Roy, Beck, Mesar, Condotta.

Not as much of an issue as it seems.

Dvorak is injured and other other players will inevitably be injured.

Lias Andersson should stay in the AHL to help the prospects, but if he makes it to the NHL it's because at least one of Suzuki/Dach/Monahan/Dvorak/Evans is injured and/or traded.

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
That lineup shows how we sorely lack a top-6 forward right now, even in a development year.

Add a genuine top-6 Rain Anderson's spot and zlidehim down to the third line and you have an interesting lineup.

Caufield - Suzuki - XXX
Heinemen - Monahan - Anderson
RHP/Armia - Evans - Armia/Gallagher
Ylonen/Pezz

Dvorak ( injured )

In a perfect world, Heineman could develop chemistry with Suzuki and Caufield, bringing size and another shooting option that Anderson brings, but better hockey IQ than the veteran RW to complement the Caufield-Suzuki dynamic duo.
Yes i have Anderson with Suzuki/Caufield now because we dont really have better options today but i do really like Heinemen so maybe he becomes a good top 6 player for us soon theres also maybe Joshua Roy he was great for Team Canada

I do also think we need better forwards moving forward thats why i wanted Michkov last draft but hopefully we can land one via trade,draft or free agency soon

I like our def with Matheson,Guhle,Engstrom,Hutson,Xhekaj,Reinbacher,Mailloux,Barron etc... but need to focus on offense and goaltending now ( watching the draft video made me like Fowler so hoping for the best )

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal

I'm betting on the 3 in bold so it's going to be real tough for Heineman to win a spot if everyone is healthy. Also betting they go with 8 dmen instead of 14 forwards or 3 goalies.
RHP 14 goals in 34 NHL games and you think Ylonen makes it over him?
Not a chance lol
Heineman is obviously starting in Laval, but will obviously be called up at some point through injuries

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
RHP 14 goals in 34 NHL games and you think Ylonen makes it over him?
Not a chance lol
Heineman is obviously starting in Laval, but will obviously be called up at some point through injuries
RHP was shooting 30% and he was playing top line around 19 minutes, he won’t reproduce that this season. Ylonen was producing at a normal rythme with 13 minutes of ice time and he got pretty much the same production as RHP.

Both are not locks in the lineup, if a guy like Heineman has a better camp than either he should get the spot in my opinion.

Reactions: Tyson

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
RHP was shooting 30% and he was playing top line around 19 minutes, he won’t reproduce that this season. Ylonen was producing at a normal rythme with 13 minutes of ice time and he got pretty much the same production as RHP.

Both are not locks in the lineup, if a guy like Heineman has a better camp than either he should get the spot in my opinion.
You have to reward the one who earns it. Period. Heineman has the tools!

Reactions: SlafySZN

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal

Luckily, that isn't how management/coaching staff look at it
If you scored 14 in 34, you scored those goals in those games. NHL.
Your technicalities are in essence correct, but Marty is NOT going "yeeaaahhh but your shooting % was just not sustainable Raf... sooo yeah, no go ..maybe in your next life?"

RHP and Ylonen have the waivers factor, and the inside track to make the team THIS year based on successful NHL showings last year, with spots limited
Heineman is obviously one of the first call ups along with Farrell

In the grand scheme of things tho, it really would be GREAT if Heineman developed chemistry with Suzuki and Caufield at any point, it would solve an annoying problem
As Suzuki-RHP have great chemistry too, but it's risky putting all 3 together

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
You have to reward the one who earns it. Period. Heineman has the tools!
At the same time you don't lose Ylonen on waivers after having a 0.5ppg end to his season. 16 points in half a year in a fourth line role is fairly impressive and shows there's something there worth exploring. RHP and Heinemen are waiver exempt, they're competing with each other and Farrell. I would say a very small chance Slaf also starts in Laval if two of those three guys outplay him.

There will probably be injuries though so they probably won't need to make a decision too quickly.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Good chance he beats out Ylonen in camp

I'm not to sure about that. Ylonen is not waivers exempt and has a slightly lower cap hit. Heineman would have to have a great camp and preseason games in order to force their hand and figure out the cap implications another way.

Heineman is waivers exempt with a slightly lower cap hit. I think this factors in the cap calculations for Hughes. No decision is made until it's deeper in camp though and I suspect Ylonen knows the situation as well so he's coming in hot as well.

And for the record, I'm a big Heineman fan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad