Value of: Elias Pettersson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
There is a 0% chance the canucks would pick that offer.

Elite, defensive young prospect has to be in the package.

Nemec or jiricek Tier.
Ghule is pretty danm good , top 2 material.
Ghule and Hughes would make a really pair

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
You post lacking in research , but that would be typical of Canucks fan who are still traumatize from 2011.............

Really? you can go back and look at what players return at the deadline.
you get outliers like the Jeannot trade, but generally what i said is true.
solid 2nd line scorers and 2nd pair Dmen usually return a 1st. better players return more, lesser players return less. What's incorrect about that?

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I made that proposal. I'm not a CBJ fan.

But for a signed Petey, it's gonna hurt. And my offer was contingent on Petey signing with CBJ beforehand.
It's going to hurt, but you're not trading that away realistically.

You're not trading a team for McDavid, as he can't win a cup in his own.

No one is trading that many top end assets for Pettersson. You need a team to win, no one player is going to get you to win.

You want to add Pettersson to your core, so you're going to move out a core peice that basically becomes redundant with the addition of Pettersson, so your number 2 centre is getting punted as Pettersson is probably knocking your number 1 centre to the 2nd spot and if you have 2 centres that are better than Pettersson, you're not trading for him.

Then you have your young players, whether 1, 2, maybe 3 seasons in the NHL, or at the top of your prospect pool and a better prospect league wide.

Picks, 1st round picks the more if you have a lesser prospect pool and potentially some other pick further in the future.

You get back Pettersson signed and probably a late pick in some year you're giving up the most picks that are all better than the ones Vancouver is sending you.

Vancouver fans want a premium and if Pettersson gets 100+ again they'll definitely want that, but no time is going to pay that amount to get him.

Vancouver will get good, or solid return, but it won't be fair. It's never a fair return for a quality player, unless they take the Florida approach in which case they might win, but I'm not sure there's going to be a player at, or close to his presumed level that will be available next off season where they could do a 1 for 1, or a trade with some additions made.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
He won’t walk for free. You really think that’s got a hope in hell of happening? Or is that what you’d like to happen?

If Ottawa won’t give up good value, there are many other teams that would like to add a top 6 (and i mean top six in the game quite easily) Centre they can go piss up a rope. Norris has a bum wing, he isn’t fit to carry EP’s gear in multiple ways. Target Jiricek, Nemec+ Mercer, Cozens + etc. There are a lot of teams that would buck up for a guy trending to be as good or better than Pavel Datsyuk.

What overpay is this? There isn’t a player on the Leafs I would trade him for.

Being logical means I want him to walk for free, maybe being biased makes you unable to be logical.

No team will give up a blue chipper for a guy that wants out from our team, blue chippers don't get traded for that, EP is a stud, but if he wants out and given how big of a raise he will get, we simply don't get that much for him.

I sincerely hope it doesn't come to that.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Being logical means I want him to walk for free, maybe being biased makes you unable to be logical.

No team will give up a blue chipper for a guy that wants out from our team, blue chippers don't get traded for that, EP is a stud, but if he wants out and given how big of a raise he will get, we simply don't get that much for him.

I sincerely hope it doesn't come to that.
Maybe not but can still get a good haul. For example the pick that landed Jiricek came from the Seth Jones trade which could potentially be a similar situation.

Thats why I say it depends on what route Vancouver wants to take and why BC boy Kent Johnson who I predict to be a PPG player is a good start to a package.

If they want a future center in the deal plus I think Johnson + Peeke/Boqvist + pick/prospect is a solid offer

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Maybe not but can still get a good haul. For example the pick that landed Jiricek came from the Jones trade which could potentially be a similar situation.

Thats why I say it depends on what route Vancouver wants to take and why BC boy Kent Johnson who I predict to be a PPG player is a good start to a package.

If they want a future center in the deal plus I think Johnson + Peeke/Boqvist + pick/prospect is a solid offer
Johnson + Sillinger and a pick wouldn’t be a bad return at all for a 100 point player.

Tkachuk got a top 15 forward in the league at the time in Huberdeau and a top pairing defenseman. I would think the equivalent for that would be a top prospect OR a young cornerstone player, a young roster guy, and a 1st. Something around that considering it would be a futures type of deal.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Maybe not but can still get a good haul. For example the pick that landed Jiricek came from the Seth Jones trade which could potentially be a similar situation.

Oh completely agree. He really gets a haul if it is a sign and trade situation like Tkachuk.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Guhle may be as good as those 2. It's not likely any of them would be offered.

You're fooling yourself if those type of prospects wouldn't be in the conversion for a 24 year old 100 point center. Especially when Pettersson has zero trade leverage and is only a RFA, meaning Vancouver doesn't have to trade him immediately.

It's one thing to say New Jersey wouldn't make a trade like that but that's more so due to them having two solid centers already in Hughes and Hischier. Columbus though? Pettersson immediately becomes their best player. While it doesn't necessarily mean they'd want to move Jiricek. There's no doubt it'd be considered for a player like Pettersson.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
You're fooling yourself if those type of prospects wouldn't be in the conversion for a 24 year old 100 point center. Especially when Pettersson has zero trade leverage and is only a RFA, meaning Vancouver doesn't have to trade him immediately.

It's one thing to say New Jersey wouldn't make a trade like that but that's more so due to them having two solid centers already in Hughes and Hischier. Columbus though? Pettersson immediately becomes their best player. While it doesn't necessarily mean they'd want to move Jiricek. There's no doubt it'd be considered for a player like Pettersson.
You're wrong about Pettersson not having any leverage. No. They don't need to trade him right away , but if he makes it known he won't be re-signing with Vancouver beyond next season the Canucks will find themselves in the same situation Winnipeg and Calgary found themselves in with PLD and Tkachuk. If that ends up being the case then Vancouver will either have to move him as a rental, or have to deal with teams Pettersson is willing to extend with. Both of those options likely limit what the potential return will be

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
You're wrong about Pettersson not having any leverage. No. They don't need to trade him right away , but if he makes it known he won't be re-signing with Vancouver beyond next season the Canucks will find themselves in the same situation Winnipeg and Calgary found themselves in with PLD and Tkachuk. If that ends up being the case then Vancouver will either have to move him as a rental, or have to deal with teams Pettersson is willing to extend with. Both of those options likely limit what the potential return will be

Take a look at what Winnipeg and Calgary got in their respective returns despite "dealing <insert> player as a rental." Keep in mind, PLD more or less limited his options to Montreal and LA while Tkachuk didn't want to play for Canada. Both ended up with huge returns relatively speaking.

Pettersson wants to play for a winning team. If it reaches the point of him not wanting to stay in Vancouver, he's not going to restrict where he's going outside of the basement dwellers lest he be forced to stay for however longer his arbitration hearing forces him to.

This whole "player is a rental. He'll get nothing" just hasn't played out at all how people insist. It's almost like age and production have a huge factor. A 24 top tier center being available means Vancouver will have tons of options even if Pettersson has some restrictions. That means a bidding war.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Take a look at what Winnipeg and Calgary got in their respective returns despite "dealing <insert> player as a rental." Keep in mind, PLD more or less limited his options to Montreal and LA while Tkachuk didn't want to play for Canada. Both ended up with huge returns relatively speaking.

Pettersson wants to play for a winning team. If it reaches the point of him not wanting to stay in Vancouver, he's not going to restrict where he's going outside of the basement dwellers lest he be forced to stay for however longer his arbitration hearing forces him to.

This whole "player is a rental. He'll get nothing" just hasn't played out at all how people insist. It's almost like age and production have a huge factor. A 24 top tier center being available means Vancouver will have tons of options even if Pettersson has some restrictions. That means a bidding war.
I didn't say he'll get nothing as rental, only that moving him as a rental recurs the return. Same with having a limited number teams he'd be willing to extend with. He'll get a very good return if he's moved. But not nearly as much as a few fans seem to think

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018
Wouldn't it make more sense for Vancouver (if Pettersson is traded) to go for picks? Sell Demko, Hughes & Kuzmenko too and do a total re-build from the ground up.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Wouldn't it make more sense for Vancouver (if Pettersson is traded) to go for picks? Sell Demko, Hughes & Kuzmenko too and do a total re-build from the ground up.

Likely would, but the owner will never sign off on that.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
EP (with at least 5 year extension) to CBJ for Johnson, one of Chinakhov/Marchenko, one of Bean/Peeke, Ceulemans, Bemström, 2024 1st and 2025 1st.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
EP (with at least 5 year extension) to CBJ for Johnson, one of Chinakhov/Marchenko, one of Bean/Peeke, Ceulemans, Bemström, 2024 1st and 2025 1st.

7 assets for 1 player isn't going to happen, unless you meant one of Bean/Peeke/Ceulemans/Bemström, instead of 3 of them.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
7 assets for 1 player isn't going to happen, unless you meant one of Bean/Peeke/Ceulemans/Bemström, instead of 3 of them.
Not to mention 2 unprotected 1sts and a guy taken 5th oa two years ago. Some of these demands are beyond ridiculous. No player I can think of has fetched that kind of return in the cap Era

Reactions: Stickpucker

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Pettersson isn't getting traded but if he was I think very few contending teams could afford to make the trade asset wise and have the cap space for a $12 million a year contract like Pettersson will want. And he's not going for scraps and B prospects.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
Not to mention 2 unprotected 1sts and a guy taken 5th oa two years ago. Some of these demands are beyond ridiculous. No player I can think of has fetched that kind of return in the cap Era

Yeah it's a beyond generous offer. For a Columbus trade I would probably do Johnson and Jiricek straight up, thought it seems like Jiricek is considered to be untouchable by Jackets fans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad