Player Discussion Elias Pettersson Talk | Also Chiropractors, the Medical Staff, and You

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Diogenes92

Dec 13, 2014
North Vancouver
Part of being successful in the playoffs and sustaining a good level of play is staying healthy.

Similar to Demko, Petey has to be smart about how hard he is training and playing in the early part of the season and do his best to stay healthy going into the post-season. This is also on the medical staff.

It is possible that he is just a naturally frail person. Seeing how often he just randomly falls over like Bambi, its possible he is just a frail dude that is prone to wearing down on a season by season basis. Weak knees, etc.

100 point regular seasons are great. And they help to push the team into a playoff spot, but they don't count for much if he is hurt and ineffective in close playoff series.

Reactions: theguardianII

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Can we stop with the whole “his heart wasn’t in it” bs. His shot was completely gone after the Moore hit. It got to a point where he was taking slapshots on the PP. Naslund at his peak would wrist it in from the point. Once his shot was gone his game went along with it because once he couldn’t beat goalies clean, he was that much easier to defend and he couldn’t figure out a different way to play.

Daniel was also not the same after he got headshot by Keith. Injuries can be a big f***ing deal…

He’s acknowledged that everything that followed the injury, and obviously the injured massively changed his game and took away his biggest weapon and I said that it affected him in my post, greatly changed his motivations and he found it difficult to play afterwards. That’s what prevented him from changing his game from what it was.

It wasn’t just the injury nor was it just the circus that followed. To not take both into account is the real BS.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
He’s acknowledged that everything that followed the injury, and obviously the injured massively changed his game and took away his biggest weapon and I said that it affected him in my post, greatly changed his motivations and he found it difficult to play afterwards. That’s what prevented him from changing his game from what it was.

Yeah like I said, NHL is a league where the best are the best because the thing they are good at, they are like a couple % better than everyone at. You take that away then there is nothing that differentiates them from the others.
You take Naslund’s shot away then he’s just a normal player. Hell apply this to any player and you’ll get the same result. Take McDavid’s skating away from him what do you have? Take Hughes skating away what do you have? Players don’t simply reinvent themselves when they are like close to 30.

I’ve said this before and I stand by it, people overrate the f*** out of “motivation” and “will”. These athletes are there by default because they are motivated and have the will, problem is body. Will and motivation doesn’t overcome what the body can do.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Fair enough, that was dumb on my part.
It really was, and impossible for anyone to read without validly assuming xenophobia.

Imagine randomly inserting a person's nationality into a non-hockey conversation when criticizing their nature (especially when it's a somewhat common stereotype like "soft Swede"). There's almost no way to do that without suspecting underlying prejudice. Like calling someone a "greedy Jew" or something, and then explaining after the fact that you're just saying that they HAPPEN to be Jewish and not insinuating anything about the entire group in general. Like yeah right, buddy, language doesn't work like that.

To try to be as charitable as possible, we could blame it on bad influence from a broader issue with hockey culture (and very influential morons like Don Cherry), I suppose.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlainVigneaultsGum

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
You’re right. Time to drag it back kicking and screaming.

Conversation over. We’re back to Pettersson.

aw nuts, i was hoping we could leave petey out of this and just turn this thread into a giant argument about how markus naslund sucks

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
It really was, and impossible for anyone to read without validly assuming xenophobia.

Imagine randomly inserting a person's nationality into a non-hockey conversation when criticizing their nature (especially when it's a somewhat common stereotype like "soft Swede"). There's almost no way to do that without suspecting underlying prejudice. Like calling someone a "greedy Jew" or something, and then explaining after the fact that you're just saying that they HAPPEN to be Jewish and not insinuating anything about the entire group in general. Like yeah right, buddy, language doesn't work like that.

To try to be as charitable as possible, we could blame it on bad influence from a broader issue with hockey culture (and very influential morons like Don Cherry), I suppose.
Yeah. Imagine using any non Caucasian ethnicity the same way.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
40 goals, 100 points easy. But the bigger question is how will he perform in the playoffs, hopefully he proves all the doubters wrong this postseason.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Been this fanbase’s condition for a very long time. There’s a huge portion that honestly just hates the team.
It's also the way Pettersson carries himself, which for the most part he can't really help, and how passive and utterly unlike his earlier career his play has looked at times, which is probably due to various injuries.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
It’s like the stupidest thing ever. Why the f*** as a fan of the Canucks would you want Petey to suck? Like what the f*** are we doing here?

Have a feeling those ones that want Petey to fail are the ones that moved to Alberta. Been infected with all them dry weather.

Reactions: racerjoe

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
It's also the way Pettersson carries himself, which for the most part he can't really help, and how passive and utterly unlike his earlier career his play has looked at times, which is probably due to various injuries.

There’s definitely, and we see it here, people that take his aloofness as a negative. I always go back to the story of how his best friends growing up were refugees and when he learned they were being deported he created a campaign to prevent it. He seems like an introspective person with interests and concerns that go beyond hockey.

He’s also vacillated, as you say, between a dominant two-way force and someone who doesn’t push the play.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
There’s definitely, and we see it here, people that take his aloofness as a negative. I always go back to the story of how his best friends growing up were refugees and when he learned they were being deported he created a campaign to prevent it. He seems like an introspective person with interests and concerns that go beyond hockey.

He’s also vacillated, as you say, between a dominant two-way force and someone who doesn’t push the play.

I lived in Denmark for 2 years and honestly, that’s just how Scandinavians act in general. You don’t see any emotions until they know you as a person.

People are passionate about their sports and teams and when they see a guy like emotionless, there is a disconnect. That’s why we have so many body language experts on the forums. You would think people will start to catch on that people from different cultures act differently.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014

Yeah, many excellent (or neutral/harmless) character traits don't mix well with niche fame and having everything you do analyzed.

Reactions: andora

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Been this fanbase’s condition for a very long time. There’s a huge portion that honestly just hates the team.

i think it’s intergenerational, from those who had to live through the 80s with the oilers winning all those cups and calgary becoming a powerhouse. i totally felt this growing up in the 90s and we saw it so clearly during the sedin/luongo era, like this wasn’t about the team we were watching it was about someone’s dad getting ribbed at work by the gloaty guy from alberta.

at this pt it’s probably grandkids living out the sad little brother rage of grandfathers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad