Player Discussion Elias Pettersson Talk | Also Chiropractors, the Medical Staff, and You

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Not really, I’m pretty not sold on Hughes and his 2 goals in 30 playoff games either.

Canucks have a history of betting on Swedes who can’t get it done in the playoffs. We’ve never had a zetterberg type either.
This is a game where the best players are better because of their physical abilities are better than the rest. When any players play injured and lost that extra %, of course they are not going to dominate like they can.

We never had issues with swedes underperforming, we never won because we never had the depth and when we did, the whole team got injured. However, we do have a problem with xenophobic fans like you blaming our lack of success on our Swedish stars though instead of having any critical thinking to understand why we never had any success.

kranuck

Mar 11, 2023
Are Canuck fans the dumbest fanbase in the league? What other fanbase hates the best players in their franchise history as much as this one does?
What other franchise has 3 finals losses, 0 wins, mostly crap regular seasons, a constant second round collapses when the team is good.

This year they blew a 3-2 lead and their best players looked like trash doing it. It was 2003 all over again.

Maybe if we had a team that was actually able to compete for more than years before the core falls apart. Maybe if we had a team could go on multiple conference finals runs as a core.

Instead it’s just constant chokers.

kranuck

Mar 11, 2023
This is a game where the best players are better because of their physical abilities are better than the rest. When any players play injured and lost that extra %, of course they are not going to dominate like they can.

We never had issues with swedes underperforming, we never won because we never had the depth and when we did, the whole team got injured. However, we do have a problem with xenophobic fans like you blaming our lack of success on our Swedish stars though instead of having any critical thinking to understand why we never had any success.
There is a big gap between not dominating and putting up absolutely putrid numbers.

There is a gap between battling through injury and putting up zero fight when a guy shoves you or collapsing to the ice because you flubbed a chance.

Pettersson was garbage for months and if you think it was just because his knee was sore then, IMO, you’re wrong.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
What other franchise has 3 finals losses, 0 wins, mostly crap regular seasons, a constant second round collapses when the team is good.

This year they blew a 3-2 lead and their best players looked like trash doing it. It was 2003 all over again.

Maybe if we had a team that was actually able to compete for more than years before the core falls apart. Maybe if we had a team could go on multiple conference finals runs as a core.

Oh the humanity..

kranuck

Mar 11, 2023

“We choked” - Markus Naslund

A few weeks before they blew a 3-1 lead to the Minnesota wild.

Players don’t struggle in the playoffs because they are Swedish, plenty of Swedes are absolute beasts.

Pettersson doesn’t look like he’s anywhere close to the sort of guy who dominates like forsberg, zetterberg, lidstrom. Things get tough and he disappears. For months on end.

It’s not to do great when things are going your way. He needs to figure out how to pull himself together and get the job done, until he does he will never be good enough to win. At this point I’m not confident.

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
“We choked” - Markus Naslund

A few weeks before they blew a 3-1 lead to the Minnesota wild.

Players don’t struggle in the playoffs because they are Swedish, plenty of Swedes are absolute beasts.

Pettersson doesn’t look like he’s anywhere close to the sort of guy who dominates like forsberg, zetterberg, lidstrom. Things get tough and he disappears. For months on end.

It’s not to do great when things are going your way. He needs to figure out how to pull himself together and get the job done, until he does he will never be good enough to win. At this point I’m not confident.
Funny you ignore Miller and his playoff track record before joining the Canucks. 3 goals in 65 playoff games when it was brought up.

Pettersson had a PPG playoff run and a SHL Playoff MVP. You say Pettersson was bad for months on end then claim he’s not a playoff guy… which one is it, because it can’t be both.

I agree Pettersson was bad pretty much since the all star break. Prior to last season, he was our most dominant 200 foot player and it’s not even close. He was in Selke convos and put up 102 points playing with an offensive blackhole in Mikheyev and a one dimensional slow winger in Kuzmenko. Meanwhile Miller was giving up on plays, displaying poor sportsmanship, and was genuinely atrocious defensively, to the point where he was publicly called out.

Pettersson has had two noticeably terrible stretches of play and it happened right around the time of both his contracts signings.

If you’re this miserable, stop being a Canucks fan and cheer for someone else. Maybe cheer for the Oilers who’ve also lost two Finals Game 7’s in less than 20 years.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
And Bure..
And Näslund..

Bure's a weird one to me because any hate for him long went away pretty much the moment he was traded. Prior to him asking for a trade, he was beloved. The dislike of Naslund was pretty justified given his middling play after re-signing. And I'm a Naslund fan.

Another good example is Anders Eldebrink. A player I only know about because of the inexplicable hatred he generated from a certain set of vocal fans in the 80s who then went on to have an incredibly successful overseas career.

But as someone who's lived in Vancouver and the Fraser Valley most of their life, I'm fully convinced most hockey fans here fundamentally don't understand the sport they watch and wield that ignorance like a weapon.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Bure's a weird one to me because any hate for him long went away pretty much the moment he was traded. Prior to him asking for a trade, he was beloved. The dislike of Naslund was pretty justified given his middling play after re-signing. And I'm a Naslund fan.
Naslunds situation is very similar to the EP critism.

Low key person who is completely misunderstood by north americans.
Another good example is Anders Eldebrink. A player I only know about because of the inexplicable hatred he generated from a certain set of vocal fans in the 80s who then went on to have an incredibly successful overseas career.

But as someone who's lived in Vancouver and the Fraser Valley most of their life, I'm fully convinced most hockey fans here fundamentally don't understand the sport they watch and wield that ignorance like a weapon.
Also... EPs situation has made me think its a culture confusion if not down right bigotry.

I've heard there was a similar Linden vs Bure comparison as there is now with Miller vs EP.

Last edited:
Reactions: andora

kranuck

Mar 11, 2023

Also... EPs situation has made me think its a culture confusion if not down right bigotry.

I've heard there was a similar Linden vs Bure comparison as there is now with Miller vs EP.
yeah it’s bigotry

Not him disappearing for months. Not his awful playoffs.

No one could possibly have a problem with that. Must be bigots.

Just like Naslund. Wasn’t his teams completely falling apart in the playoffs. Wasn’t him being mediocre in this playoffs.

It was all just because he’s a Swede.

Last edited:

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
yeah it’s bigotry

Just like Naslund. Wasn’t his teams completely falling apart in the playoffs. Wasn’t him being mediocre in this playoffs.

Or, what if, it might be possible, it could be some of both?

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
@kranuck @PuckMunchkin The Naslund dislike came after his play slipped which was after Moore injured him and Bertuzzi ended any chance of the WCE ever winning. He came back from the lockout a different player whose heart wasn’t in it. Unlike most, I’m very sympathetic to him. However, I understand where the frustration and anger came from as his play dropped off not just production-wise but stylistically as well.

There was always an undercurrent of frustration with him (“we choked”) that was certainly because he was a soft-spoken Swede but it wasn’t really an issue with anyone serious until his played slipped.

That’s the main similarity between EP and Naslund. As soon as the play slips, people have their knives out. I don’t think it’s a Swedish thing but a personality thing, mostly. There’s always going to be a contingent of fans here that are angry the leaders of the team aren’t Canadian.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
If you think thats what he meant than you arent really trying to understand what others say...

@kranuck @PuckMunchkin The Naslund dislike came after his play slipped which was after Moore injured him and Bertuzzi ended any chance of the WCE ever winning. He came back from the lockout a different player whose heart wasn’t in it. Unlike most, I’m very sympathetic to him. However, I understand where the frustration and anger came from as his play dropped off not just production-wise but stylistically as well.

There was always an undercurrent of frustration with him (“we choked”) that was certainly because he was a soft-spoken Swede but it wasn’t really an issue with anyone serious until his played slipped.

That’s the main similarity between EP and Naslund. As soon as the play slips, people have their knives out. I don’t think it’s a Swedish thing but a personality thing, mostly. There’s always going to be a contingent of fans here that are angry the leaders of the team aren’t Canadian.

Perfect display of active listening and awareness

Reactions: Vector

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
yeah it’s bigotry

So because he’s Swede = terrible, banned from hockey.

I’ve seen some shit posts on these boards for 18 years, this is probably as bad as BWC rant on Chicago Bears football.

kranuck

Mar 11, 2023
So because he’s Swede = terrible, banned from hockey.

I’ve seen some shit posts on these boards for 18 years, this is probably as bad as BWC rant on Chicago Bears football.
No, because he completely fell apart for half a season and had an inexcusable playoffs.

Want me to list Swedes who don’t do that? It’s a pretty long list.

I’m guessing you don’t so you can continue to pretend that this isn’t entirely based on petterssons garbage play.

If you think thats what he meant than you arent really trying to understand what others say...

Perfect display of active listening and awareness
That’s exactly what he’s saying and you f***ing know it.

He was a choker before the Moore hit ever happened. He said it himself.

When the playoff high point of your career is blowing a 3-1 lead to a wild team the struggles to score a single goal the next round you deserve to be called out.

And you can’t be serious when you say 2003 wasn’t an issue.

kranuck

Mar 11, 2023

Right culture.

Some fans have adopted a culture of “winning doesn’t matter at all”. That’s a culture problem.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
No, because he completely fell apart for half a season and had an inexcusable playoffs.

Want me to list Swedes who don’t do that? It’s a pretty long list.

I’m guessing you don’t so you can continue to pretend that this isn’t entirely based on petterssons garbage play.

That’s exactly what he’s saying and you f***ing know it.

He was a choker before the Moore hit ever happened. He said it himself.

When the playoff high point of your career is blowing a 3-1 lead to a wild team the struggles to score a single goal the next round you deserve to be called out.

And you can’t be serious when you say 2003 wasn’t an issue.

Why so angry dawg

Snauen

Dec 27, 2017
That’s cool.

He’s a playoff choker and absolute loser until he proves otherwise.

Zero patience for another soft Swede who puts up mediocre at best playoff numbers.
I have been a Canucks fan since the "cup-run" in -94. My fav all time Canuck is Sergio Momesso. He was a beast in the playoffs in 1994.
Mikael Samuelsson, Mats Sundin and Elias Lindholm are other known clutch players that have played for the Canucks thru the years. Oh, and a guy like Edler too. They are Swedes. No need to lump them/us all together and categorize diminishingly. There are over a 100 Swedes in the league. I dont think EP is "soft" or lazy (judging him from his career, not only this last half of the season).

Reactions: LordBacon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad