Player Discussion Elias Pettersson Talk | Also Chiropractors, the Medical Staff, and You

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

kranuck

Mar 11, 2023
I have been a Canucks fan since the "cup-run" in -94. My fav all time Canuck is Sergio Momesso. He was a beast in the playoffs in 1994.
Mikael Samuelsson, Mats Sundin and Elias Lindholm are other known clutch players that have played for the Canucks thru the years. Oh, and a guy like Edler too. They are Swedes. No need to lump them/us all together and categorize diminishingly. There are over a 100 Swedes in the league. I dont think EP is "soft" or lazy (judging him from his career, not only this last half of the season).
Wasn't intending too, you are 100% right about everything except Pettersson.
That was last year, this year is new.
Can’t be mad forever, onto the next.

It’s a sunny day today, hit the beach, grab a beer or a coffee.

Relax.
You get a limited window to win as a team. Blowing even one year on pathetic play and a choke is a massive problem.

Blew it in 2003, never got another real shot.

Blew it in 2011, never got another real shot.

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
Both of EP's slumps were when he was playing through some sort of physical issue. It takes a special type of oblivious, to not see the effect that injuries can have on professional athletes that are competing at the highest level in a very physical sport. It really is glaringly obvious.

It's also impressively disingenuous to completely overlook the SHL playoff MVP and the covid bubble playoff performance, in favor of 1 playoff run in which EP was clearly playing through injury.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
“We choked” - Markus Naslund

A few weeks before they blew a 3-1 lead to the Minnesota wild.

Players don’t struggle in the playoffs because they are Swedish, plenty of Swedes are absolute beasts.

Pettersson doesn’t look like he’s anywhere close to the sort of guy who dominates like forsberg, zetterberg, lidstrom. Things get tough and he disappears. For months on end.

It’s not to do great when things are going your way. He needs to figure out how to pull himself together and get the job done, until he does he will never be good enough to win. At this point I’m not confident.

Naslund puts up 7pts in 7 games against the Wilds and Cloutier puts up .826 save % and Bert puts up 2 points but yeah it’s the Swede’s fault. Like I said, when things doesn’t go well, we have people like you who are just xenophobic about it and want to blame the Swedes.

Players who are injured don’t dominate, simple as that. Draisaitl looked like an absolute beast and once the injuries caught up he disappeared in the finals. Petey dominated in his first playoffs but you seem to just brush that off.

@kranuck @PuckMunchkin The Naslund dislike came after his play slipped which was after Moore injured him and Bertuzzi ended any chance of the WCE ever winning. He came back from the lockout a different player whose heart wasn’t in it. Unlike most, I’m very sympathetic to him. However, I understand where the frustration and anger came from as his play dropped off not just production-wise but stylistically as well.

There was always an undercurrent of frustration with him (“we choked”) that was certainly because he was a soft-spoken Swede but it wasn’t really an issue with anyone serious until his played slipped.

That’s the main similarity between EP and Naslund. As soon as the play slips, people have their knives out. I don’t think it’s a Swedish thing but a personality thing, mostly. There’s always going to be a contingent of fans here that are angry the leaders of the team aren’t Canadian.
Naslund wasn’t the same player after Moore. His shot was gone and with that the rest of his game.
I mean shouldn’t this reinforce the idea that injuries are a f***ing big deal? The best players who stay the best also happens to be the healthiest. The only real exception is Mario.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
yeah it’s bigotry

Not him disappearing for months. Not his awful playoffs.

No one could possibly have a problem with that. Must be bigots.

Just like Naslund. Wasn’t his teams completely falling apart in the playoffs. Wasn’t him being mediocre in this playoffs.

It was all just because he’s a Swede.
When EP is injured he isnt as good as he is healthy. How dare he!

And you would not mind it as much if while struggling he did stupid shit with a frustrated look that actually make matters worse for the entire team, like Miller...because that makes sense. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

But yeah... ok.

kranuck

Mar 11, 2023
Naslund puts up 7pts in 7 games against the Wilds and Cloutier puts up .826 save % and Bert puts up 2 points but yeah it’s the Swede’s fault. Like I said, when things doesn’t go well, we have people like you who are just xenophobic about it and want to blame the Swedes.

Players who are injured don’t dominate, simple as that. Draisaitl looked like an absolute beast and once the injuries caught up he disappeared in the finals. Petey dominated in his first playoffs but you seem to just brush that off.

Naslund wasn’t the same player after Moore. His shot was gone and with that the rest of his game.
I mean shouldn’t this reinforce the idea that injuries are a f***ing big deal? The best players who stay the best also happens to be the healthiest. The only real exception is Mario.
1 goal in game 1

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
The dislike of Naslund was pretty justified given his middling play after re-signing. And I'm a Naslund fan.

Naslund signed a 3 year/18 million dollar contract after the lockout. Prior to that, he was coming off 6 years of productive season plus 3 straight 40 goal years.

His first year after the lockout was ‘okay’ but not up to his standards, his final 2 years he had to adjust to AV’a defensive first system which he struggled. He had 30+ goals after the lockout, then following up with mid 20 goal seasons? Yeah, he wasn’t living up to the contract.

kranuck

Mar 11, 2023
Then why rant about Swedes up in here? Come on dawg, this ain’t it.
There was no rant about swedes, there was me calling him a soft swede. There was comparisons to naslund.

There was a lot of disingenuous Petey fanboys pretending that I was ranting against Swedes.

I don't have any problem with Swedish players. Some of my favorite players (Sedins) have been Swedes. Swedes have won and been absolute beasts doing so.

But Petey hasn't done that, and I'm tired of him disappearing for months on end.

beachcomber

Apr 6, 2015
There was no rant about swedes, there was me calling him a soft swede. There was comparisons to naslund.

There was a lot of disingenuous Petey fanboys pretending that I was ranting against Swedes.

I don't have any problem with Swedish players. Some of my favorite players (Sedins) have been Swedes. Swedes have won and been absolute beasts doing so.

But Petey hasn't done that, and I'm tired of him disappearing for months on end.
Nobody has won a damn thing in Vancouver, Swedes and all. The more Canadians on the team the better the odds seem to be of winning a cup these days.

Reactions: theguardianII

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria

Why even say swede? Just say soft player right?.. i mean

• Love
Reactions: Sexy Necksy Garland

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
This thread turned into the f***ing HFCanucks rogues gallery all-star game and you guys are responding like you think it's the cup finals.

Reactions: Peen

Sexy Necksy Garland

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Why even say swede? Just say soft player right?.. i mean

@kranuck

joey-joey-tribiani.gif

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
@kranuck @PuckMunchkin The Naslund dislike came after his play slipped which was after Moore injured him and Bertuzzi ended any chance of the WCE ever winning. He came back from the lockout a different player whose heart wasn’t in it. Unlike most, I’m very sympathetic to him. However, I understand where the frustration and anger came from as his play dropped off not just production-wise but stylistically as well.

There was always an undercurrent of frustration with him (“we choked”) that was certainly because he was a soft-spoken Swede but it wasn’t really an issue with anyone serious until his played slipped.

That’s the main similarity between EP and Naslund. As soon as the play slips, people have their knives out. I don’t think it’s a Swedish thing but a personality thing, mostly. There’s always going to be a contingent of fans here that are angry the leaders of the team aren’t Canadian.
Can we stop with the whole “his heart wasn’t in it” bs. His shot was completely gone after the Moore hit. It got to a point where he was taking slapshots on the PP. Naslund at his peak would wrist it in from the point. Once his shot was gone his game went along with it because once he couldn’t beat goalies clean, he was that much easier to defend and he couldn’t figure out a different way to play.

Daniel was also not the same after he got headshot by Keith. Injuries can be a big f***ing deal…

Last edited:
Reactions: petka and racerjoe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad