Player Discussion Elias Pettersson Talk | Also Chiropractors, the Medical Staff, and You

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Season is still a month and half away, and already the NHL fan sites are listing Pettersson as one of the guys 'on the hot seat' for the upcoming campaign. I guess that goes with the territory when your newly minted contract of $11.7m per. is set to kick in.

But to score, he's going to need better line-mates than he had last season......and breaking down the expected lines, I'm not sure they are there.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

BluesyShoes

Unregistered User
Dec 11, 2010
What knowledge we thinking Tocchet is getting at with this quote from Drance's interview with the Athletic?

"He’s a great kid to work with and he’s a very confident kid, but there’s some knowledge that I have for him, things that he has to understand he has to do if he wants to be a top player. I think he realizes that after last year." Source

He goes on to say that they checked in with him and said "he's doing terrific out there. He's skating, working on the things that we’ve talked about."

Any ideas? Off ice stuff, on ice stuff? What I found interesting is that Tocchet didn't really point to the injury as a reason for Petey's second half production, despite Drance asking pretty specifically about it. Also interesting that Tocchet's been looking for Petey to assert himself more with the coaching staff.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
What knowledge we thinking Tocchet is getting at with this quote from Drance's interview with the Athletic?

He goes on to say that they checked in with him and said "he's doing terrific out there. He's skating, working on the things that we’ve talked about."

Any ideas? Off ice stuff, on ice stuff? What I found interesting is that Tocchet didn't really point to the injury as a reason for Petey's second half production, despite Drance asking pretty specifically about it. Also interesting that Tocchet's been looking for Petey to assert himself more with the coaching staff.

I think it’s a personality/mentality thing that Tocchet wants. Tocchet wants Petey to take charge both in practice and in games. Have a high level of engagement. Hughes and Miller had great seasons under Tocchet in part because they had the type of personalities where when encouraged to be the team’s star players they took it upon themselves to be the team’s star players.

It’s nothing novel. It’s something we have been discussing in relation to Petey for a while. He hasn’t really risen to the occasion so to speak and we need him to play at his best in big games against elite players. Petey is capable of putting together a season that Hughes did last season.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
He mentioned in another interview (or perhaps it was quoted by Drance) that he wants Pettersson to be the type of player who, say during the last season would be comfortable walking into his office and just short of demanding better wingers.

Pettersson quietly went about his business with a rotating cast of... not the best players, and Tocchet wants him to be more assertive.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
he also obviously need to strengthen his lower body, look at Crosby's body type. Now that he is a full fledged star, he cannot be expected to be upended as often as he did last year. This glaring weakness that's been dogging him since his rookie year has to be overcome. The Foppa comparison earlier in his career seems to be a cruel joke, that guy was unmoveable with possession.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Can you at the very least spell the guys name correctly
It is this new fangled AI auto correct dumbing down the vocabulary. It is even correcting entire sentence's making knowing grammar obsolete.
But I am sure you knew who was being discussed.

His NTC doesn't come into effect until July 1 right? With this year and next year's cap increase 11.6 mil might be manageable for teams next year, not so much the Canucks due to the 4.7 mil OEL cap hit though.

I wonder IF he and the team stumbles too much if he might be used to retool the team? Sure would solve a large problem.
A lot of the team's attention is on finding him line mates now, that they can't really afford.

OFFER SHEETS!!!!!!

Yay, two!

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
He mentioned in another interview (or perhaps it was quoted by Drance) that he wants Pettersson to be the type of player who, say during the last season would be comfortable walking into his office and just short of demanding better wingers.

Pettersson quietly went about his business with a rotating cast of... not the best players, and Tocchet wants him to be more assertive.
This is a bit weird thing to expect.

Its basically asking him to throw his current line mates under the bus...

Eh. I like 99,9% of what Tocchet has brought, but this one I cant get on board with.

Its the GMs and Coaches job to set the correct lines. Not the players.

Reactions: supercanuck

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
This is a bit weird thing to expect.

Its basically asking him to throw his current line mates under the bus...

Eh. I like 99,9% of what Tocchet has brought, but this one I cant get on board with.

Its the GMs and Coaches job to set the correct lines. Not the players.

Just let Pettersson be the personality he is comfortable as without him having to think about it. There's nothing wrong with a quiet and humble personality and expecting someone to jump outside that realm is counter intuitive to trying to create a laid back environment.

Asking Pettersson to be comfortable in coming in the room and saying what Tocchet wants to hear is akin to a father wanting their son to embrace the career they think is best for them.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Petey is an intense, detail obsessed guy. I wouldn't be surprised if Tocchet's input is about managing that.
I worry more about EP changing his game to what Tocchet wants instead of what made him above average.
Tocchet seems to be very "cookie cutter" in what he wants his players doing.
EP's game was never "hitting" or being the #1 forechecker. He was a possession guy not dump and chase. He isn't a type like Crosby, Stamkos or any other player Tocchet has coached. Keller demanded a trade, most of the high skill guys did as well on Arizona, there must have been a reason. The high skill guys on Vancouver are being replaced with high level "grunts", dump and chase guys, hitters or board guys.

This tendonitis, which I hope was just an excuse, can be chronic if not treated quickly and from EP's play and stats it would appear he went some 5 months without any treatment.

Tocchet made it seem a minor issue but EP's on ice play showed something else, even Tocchet made reference to his skating once or twice.

Boring dog days of summer. TO, Blues, Bluejackets and Oilers are in the news everyday keeping interest up or their teams on or near the first page/item locally.

• Haha
Reactions: andora and F A N

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
So he said he had a knee injury but kept playing through it.

He said it affected his play, but his agent, the medical staff and the coaching staff don't think it should have? Great

Reactions: theguardianII

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Turns out Demko is behind in rehab. Is it all on the player, or are our management not managing injuries well? As Canucks fans I'm sure we are aware of Dickinson, Mik, Pearson, EP and now Demko, no one comes back 100% ahead of schedule, or even on schedule.

I think it's the "uncertainty" that is concerning. Otherwise, is there a pattern of underestimating the recovery time? Like Mik actually came back "on schedule." There are players who managed to come back earlier, but if you ask Dr. Google or guys like Corrado who recovered from the same type of injury, 6-9 months post-surgery is standard

The younger Svechnikov had surgery ~March 16th. He made his season debut on Oct 27th. Svechnikov talked about how he was told that his knee will start feeling better at the 9 month mark and even two weeks before his season debut there was a 20% difference between his legs.

Mik had surgery on Feb 2nd and he returned Oct 21st. It's a reasonable timeframe for Mik to become ready to play a game. That's why many of us were frustrated that he wasn't shut down earlier. Outside of complications and recovery set backs, the medical science here is pretty well established.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nucker101

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
i'd like to see him play with Debrusk and Heinen. Debrusk has speed and can score. Heinen by all reports played his best hockey when playing with good players. There's also going to be some familiarity in having Debrusk on the alternate wing. Heinen seems like one of those guys who elevates their game when playign with good players.
Run Hoglander with Jt. Miller and Boeser and leave the third line intact. let camp determine the 4th line and run with this for the first 10 games of the season and see how things go.
I think with stable and better linemates, Petey will be just fine

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
So he said he had a knee injury but kept playing through it.

He said it affected his play, but his agent, the medical staff and the coaching staff don't think it should have? Great
Yawwwnnnnnn.

So, your assumption based on nothing is he...faked a knee injury because...something something bad soft Swede?

Reactions: AlainVigneaultsGum

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
Tocchet seems to be very "cookie cutter" in what he wants his players doing.
EP's game was never "hitting" or being the #1 forechecker. He was a possession guy not dump and chase. He isn't a type like Crosby, Stamkos or any other player Tocchet has coached. Keller demanded a trade, most of the high skill guys did as well on Arizona, there must have been a reason. The high skill guys on Vancouver are being replaced with high level "grunts", dump and chase guys, hitters or board guys.
That's... false?

He wants players to play on both sides of the puck, but that doesn't mean he expects Petey to be flying in on the forecheck and stapling people to the boards. It's all about compete. Miller put up 103 points under Tocchet last year, Hughes put up 92. There's still room to be productive offensively and create, he just doesn't want lazy backcheckers and people not engaged, which I think is a fair requirement at the highest level.

They replaced Kuzmenko with Lindholm, who I wouldn't describe as a grunt. And they've brought in scoring guys like Sprong, Debrusk, Heinen. They'll be asked to play 200 feet but I think blaming Tocchet's demand for compete for Petey's lackluster 2nd half is a bit out there.

Reactions: F A N

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
That's... false?

He wants players to play on both sides of the puck, but that doesn't mean he expects Petey to be flying in on the forecheck and stapling people to the boards. It's all about compete. Miller put up 103 points under Tocchet last year, Hughes put up 92. There's still room to be productive offensively and create, he just doesn't want lazy backcheckers and people not engaged, which I think is a fair requirement at the highest level.

They replaced Kuzmenko with Lindholm, who I wouldn't describe as a grunt. And they've brought in scoring guys like Sprong, Debrusk, Heinen. They'll be asked to play 200 feet but I think blaming Tocchet's demand for compete for Petey's lackluster 2nd half is a bit out there.

Pretty much this. I mentioned this before, I think Tocchet wants Petey to act like he's the star and take over games. Tocchet challenged Hughes and Miller and they responded. Tocchet wants the same out of Petey. Tocchet didn't get along with OEL, I think, because at that point OEL was still expected to be the best player but he no longer played that way. Kuzmenko simply had trouble producing offensively while playing Tocchet's system. I think Sprong is going to face the same issue.

We like to make Petey comparisons to the Sedins but the Sedins simply brought their own type of leadership. Of course the Sedins and their legendary physical fitness and conditioning helped. A coach like Torts is going to try and be tough and demanding and the Sedins is going to respond with their best. A coach can't help but respect the Sedins who do all they can both in practice and in games.

Petey has been failing the eye test for a while. We've been wanting him to step up whenever he faces the league's best Cs but there has been little to no response. He's consistently outplayed by the best and we've been making excuses for him because most of the time our team simply isn't as good. But last year we had a good team so the excuses have run out.

A perfect comparison is Hughes. Hughes got the C and look what he did. He was the runaway winner for the Norris Trophy. I do think Tocchet is challenging Petey to be better and I hope he responds in a positive way and puts together a Hart/Art Ross calibre season.

Reactions: sting101

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Pretty much this. I mentioned this before, I think Tocchet wants Petey to act like he's the star and take over games. Tocchet challenged Hughes and Miller and they responded. Tocchet wants the same out of Petey. Tocchet didn't get along with OEL, I think, because at that point OEL was still expected to be the best player but he no longer played that way. Kuzmenko simply had trouble producing offensively while playing Tocchet's system. I think Sprong is going to face the same issue.

We like to make Petey comparisons to the Sedins but the Sedins simply brought their own type of leadership. Of course the Sedins and their legendary physical fitness and conditioning helped. A coach like Torts is going to try and be tough and demanding and the Sedins is going to respond with their best. A coach can't help but respect the Sedins who do all they can both in practice and in games.

Petey has been failing the eye test for a while. We've been wanting him to step up whenever he faces the league's best Cs but there has been little to no response. He's consistently outplayed by the best and we've been making excuses for him because most of the time our team simply isn't as good. But last year we had a good team so the excuses have run out.

A perfect comparison is Hughes. Hughes got the C and look what he did. He was the runaway winner for the Norris Trophy. I do think Tocchet is challenging Petey to be better and I hope he responds in a positive way and puts together a Hart/Art Ross calibre season.
Before Tocchet ever got here EP was touted as a Selke candidate, but he hit way less.
Miller was a Tocchet type player before Tocchet got here.

Lots of expert medical posters discount experience.

It is the same for concussions, ever had one? Two? Three? Just about every contact sport player will suffer some level of concussion. Post concussion symptoms vary, sometimes a person will not even know. Timing is off. Easily fatigued. Bad decisions. Coordination can be off just a bit. More severe apart from bad decisions, headaches, sensitivity to bright light, dilated pupils, change in personality, mood swings, depression, concentration issues. Each successive concussion is more severe and easier to get.

How many times lately has EP muffed the one timer? Missed on shots he was wiring before or the entire net? A blind pass to the opposition player? Stumbled and fell or real easy to fall? A sudden drop in production? Shaking his head after hitting or being hit? These obvious symptoms can/might happen but not all the time but will get more frequent.

He should start the season much better but really watch when he hits or gets hit. IMO he has had at least 3 concussions that were fairly easy to see in the NHL only one did have to be helped off the ice but the other two he finished the game but was not in the lineup in the next few games. Often listed as silly descriptions. A hurt wrist that never needed taping after, a bad finger that never had a splint, upper body injury and now an undiagnosed sore knee that none of the team, doctors or league knew about.

If there is doubt then look up the thousands of internet results.

IMO - From personal experience.

EP - Post Concussion syndrome - this can dissipate but it takes a lot of time. This isn't noticeable 100% of the time the symptoms can be transitory. Shaking of the head after impact is often a sign of getting the bell rung and EP does that a lot and often his game is off after. You don't have to get knocked out or even down just rattled.

EP talk and opinion

kranuck

Mar 11, 2023
Season is still a month and half away, and already the NHL fan sites are listing Pettersson as one of the guys 'on the hot seat' for the upcoming campaign. I guess that goes with the territory when your newly minted contract of $11.7m per. is set to kick in.

But to score, he's going to need better line-mates than he had last season......and breaking down the expected lines, I'm not sure they are there.
Dude has disappeared for months twice now. He just had a comically bad playoffs.

He’s already lost a portion of the fan base and I know he won’t win me back unless he’s a beast for 82 games and the playoffs.

If he disappears for weeks on end again then trade his ass.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad