Dreger: Elias Lindholm will get 8M+ per year through free agency

Son of Petter

Who wants to walk with Elias?
Jun 5, 2013
Kanata
Lindholm to the Bruins is what always seemed like was destined to happen. With Sweeney coming out and saying that “they’re going to be very aggressive”, I think it’s even more clear that he ends up there at like 7M.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
For Boston I think Stephenson is a better fit. They need more creativity and speed in the forwards. Coyle and Lindholm are very similar.

Pure West

Oct 3, 2005
Vancouver
Had a great playoffs, and this is the type of player you win with in the playoffs. Probably best fit is on a team that has more offensive punch on the wings and needs their centers to take care of 2 way play. Seems like Boston is the match and I was surprised they weren't the ones who traded for him in the first place.

Had Petterson wanted out, I would have been fine paying Lindholm but that's not a luxury we can afford anymore.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You guys realize 8M is 2C money now right.

If he was a 0.9 PPG guy he'd want 11M

You sound like an agent. The problem with this type of contract is the player wants to be paid as a 2C for the entire term and is 29/30 next year. Most guys don't hold there value that long in their 30's. Some do but most don't.

Then there is supply/demand so if there is 3+ teams in on him hard, the player gets what they want.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
You sound like an agent. The problem with this type of contract is the player wants to be paid as a 2C for the entire term and is 29/30 next year. Most guys don't hold there value that long in their 30's. Some do but most don't.

Then there is supply/demand so if there is 3+ teams in on him hard, the player gets what they want.

Yes, I'm sure I am saying exactly what the agents are saying and what they are expecting. There really isn't all that much of an age discount either until 34/35.

On a five year contract he'd probably get 9M. Anyone that signs him won't be caring about 6 years from now. They'll take the slight cap decrease for longer term.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Nov 1, 2011
Can VAN get anything for him?

Conditional 1st for his rights so CBJ can buy him by offering an extra year?

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I mean, he's not a real #1C and i think we've seen that. What he is though, is still a real good, complementary "facilitator" type Top-6 Center who is very responsible as a 2-way guy, a natural RH shot, solid on faceoffs, versatile, can play wing or C and all situations including both special teams.

The one thing that he's not...is a super dynamic offensive catalyst. He's really at his best and most useful when paired up with a highly creative, play-driving winger (or two).

If you're a team that has a Gaudreau/Tkachuk to play him with...there's a chance you'll be reasonably happy with his performance, for at least the first few years of the contract. Still going to be a stupid huge number for a more complementary player to ring in at...but there's a major scarcity of even his type of Top-6 Centers available "for free". You typically just have to draft and develop them. When they're traded...it's usually because of impending contract situations...just as it was in Lindholm's case.

A lot of the teams that i could see being most interested...also happen to have exactly those sort of play-driving Wingers he needs to thrive. Columbus, Boston, Utah...even maybe Buffalo, Nashville, Detroit, possibly others get into the mix. Really...the only team involved that doesn't at least have something resembling at least a play driving top-line winger or two, is Vancouver. :dunno:

If it's $8M, Vancouver can't go there. Just isn't enough money to go around. Which is unfortunate...but that's all part of the game with deadline rentals. Sometimes that's all they are. And he was a very useful piece once he got settled in and healthy down the stretch and into the playoffs. Especially with Pettersson MIA. The production might not jump off the page...but he played a crucial role for them anyway.

But Lindholm basically represents a potential nexus of a brave new cap-rising world, with a highly coveted position of major scarcity and difficult to acquire. We've been time and again that this is a combination that can lead to crazy results.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
I could see him getting a short contract at 7.5 -8 per. I doubt he gets a long term one. 8 seems pretty high to me. But he is a really good all around player.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Do the Math people.

The Canucks can offer an 8 year contract while every other team can offer only a 7 year contract.

If a team like the Bruins offered 8M for 7 years, that is 56M total dollars for what will likely be Lindholm's last contract.

In order to beat this total value, the Canucks only have to offer 7.1 M for 8 years or 56.8M total dollars.

etc.

Book it: Lindholm is resigning in Vancouver.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Do the Math people.

The Canucks can offer an 8 year contract while every other team can offer only a 7 year contract.

If a team like the Bruins offered 8M for 7 years, that is 56M total dollars for what will likely be Lindholm's last contract.

In order to beat this total value, the Canucks only have to offer 7.1 M for 8 years or 56.8M total dollars.

etc.

The same money for an extra year ain't the same value

Reactions: BTO

Kielbasa

Mar 28, 2023
not his biggest fan but hes not useless. IMO could be interesting for a team that could maybe use him like Calgary did - complimentary C for elite wingers. If you have a 1C and a 1W, a second line of Lindholm-1W could work.

This was always my take on him as a flames fan. Good shooter, defender and some legitimate high skill, but fundamentally he's middling when it comes to actually driving play.

Gaudreau was the guy who made the line tick, Tkachuk (Monahan in 2018-19) was the brains, and Lindholm knit it all together on the details.

Edit: formatting

Last edited:
Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

ShaneinTpa

May 21, 2019
To be fair to Gaudreau, he's led the Jackets in scoring both seasons he's been there. People really need to take a look at just how bad that Jackets lineup, that Gaudreau was expected to work with, was.

Marner is capable of leading his own line. I agree that Lindholm is not. The Jackets should be all over Lindholm though. For them, $8 million is solid, if he can regain his chemistry with Gaudreau.
Nobody forced Gaudreau to sign with Columbus

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Lindholm to the Bruins is what always seemed like was destined to happen. With Sweeney coming out and saying that “they’re going to be very aggressive”, I think it’s even more clear that he ends up there at like 7M.
Bruins will not get Lindholm for 7 x 7. That’s only 49 million. Vancouver could go 50 million and spread it out over 8 years. Bruins will need to go at least 8 mil x 7 years and likely more. I guess they could trade for his rights so they can get that extra year.

Reactions: sting101

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I saw a prediction of 6.7 as a cap hit for 8 years.

I'd be fine with Lindholm for that, but that still isn't a great deal for how we used him.

An 8 million dollar cap hit seems crazy to me though. If a team is ready to offer him that, I wish Elias and which ever team all the best then.

Reactions: Regal

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Can VAN get anything for him?

Conditional 1st for his rights so CBJ can buy him by offering an extra year?
C'mon. A 1st (even conditional) for UFA rights? Nothing like that has happened in recent history. Would be shocked.

And since "condition upon re-signing" isn't allowed in the CBA, not sure what type of condition you are suggesting.

Reactions: SlavinAway

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Do the Math people.

etc.

It's not always about money, Gaudreau left money on the table when he came to Columbus.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Bruins will not get Lindholm for 7 x 7. That’s only 49 million. Vancouver could go 50 million and spread it out over 8 years. Bruins will need to go at least 8 mil x 7 years and likely more. I guess they could trade for his rights so they can get that extra year.
I'm going to predict Nashville with no taxes. And the chance to play with Forsberg. O'Reilly as a 2C, Sissons as a 3C and the Preds look better on paper than the Canucks next year.

Reactions: Fatass

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
Sometimes it is about taxes, sometimes about location, sometimes it is about the ability to win a cup. . .

Different factors weigh in for different players .. .

All that we don't know about. . . ..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad