Dreger: Elias Lindholm will get 8M+ per year through free agency

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
All of this nonsense makes sense in a world before the abacus existed.

Do the math people, to pay Lindholm a total contract of 50M, the Canucks would only need to pay him 6.25M per year for 8 years and I expect that Émilie Castonguay will exceed this with her first offer.

1716828000904.png

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan

Do the math people, to pay Lindholm a total contract of 50M, the Canucks would only need to pay him 6.25M per year for 8 years and I expect that Émilie Castonguay will exceed this with her first offer.

View attachment 876260

I gotta think Canucks sign him to 6.25 or even let's say 6.5 over 8 years for a cool 52.

If it's only 50 to hit that is easily signaled for the Nucks.

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
Could really see Columbus being a player here if he hits the market. Has experience, is a 2 way center, right handed (we have none), and obviously experience with Johnny.

I think it makes sense as a veteran complement to Fantilli going forward in the top 6, while also throwing a bone to Johnny, and reducing the workload of Boone. He wouldn’t be needed as the top line guy for long. The price might be a little rich but it could solidify a lot of things in the lineup. The question would be what to do with an overstuffed lineup after that, because it seems like there are about 14-15 forwards in the picture for the roster already, but with the top of the lineup needing structure and experience. Next GM has a lot of options which direction to go in.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

View attachment 876260

Dollars today can be invested and used. It’s not the same as getting it spread over a longer period of time. You should upgrade the abacus for a calculator and learn about compounding.

Nov 1, 2011
Dollars today can be invested and used. It’s not the same as getting it spread over a longer period of time. You should upgrade the abacus for a calculator and learn about compounding.

We talking cap hits or salary here?

The other guy is talking cap hit and you’re seemingly making statements as if he means salary/signing bonus.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
So Vancouver can get him at 7 million AAV
and what about getting wingers for petterson? say they resign both lindholm/zadorov. let go of joshua/bluger. those guys can be replaced. dont think they have enough to even get a winger unless they trade mikyheyvs contract and factoring in oels buyout.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
We talking cap hits or salary here?

The other guy is talking cap hit and you’re seemingly making statements as if he means salary/signing bonus.

He is talking about spread 50 million over 8 year instead of 7. You can only have the highest salary and lowest salary year be so much apart. This ain’t pre-cap where you can tack on 1x1 at the end to lower the hit and still get the guy his money earlier.

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
Leafs offer 7.25 x 7 NMC and a chance to play between. Nylander and Knies.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
Bruins have the need and the cash, I think they go as high as 8 per to get him. I'm good with it, he seems like a player that'll at least be an effective 3rd line center / PK / face off guy at the end of the contract, and by then the cap should be up over 100 million. The Bs have the luxury of not having any other 'bad' contracts so they can afford 1 to fill a major need.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Could really see Columbus being a player here if he hits the market. Has experience, is a 2 way center, right handed (we have none), and obviously experience with Johnny.

I said it earlier in this thread, Winnipeg and Columbus are my two sneaky favourites to get Lindy in the offseason.

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
I said it earlier in this thread, Winnipeg and Columbus are my two sneaky favourites to get Lindy in the offseason.
It would be extremely funny if one of Waddell's first moves as POHO/GM were to be signing Lindholm as a free agent, considering one of his first moves as GM in Carolina was to trade Lindholm away.

horner

May 22, 2007
If he gets 8 mil then te UFA season will be stupid

Ge should get
5.5 mil - 6 mil

sensfan4lifee

May 21, 2024
7x7 would be a fine contract for him.
Anyone signing him for 7 years is going to be sadly dissapointed when they get the regular season Lindholm that played for Calgary and the nucks

Over paying for a player based on one good play off run is a horrible idea

It would be extremely funny if one of Waddell's first moves as POHO/GM were to be signing Lindholm as a free agent, considering one of his first moves as GM in Carolina was to trade Lindholm away.
There is no way with Laine and Gaudreau there signing him and they don't even need a center, they have Fantilli, Johnnsson, Sillinger, Jenner

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
There is no way with Laine and Gaudreau there signing him and they don't even need a center, they have Fantilli, Johnnsson, Sillinger, Jenner
Of those four names, exactly one projects to be better than Lindholm in the next two years. Johnson is not a center, Sillinger is a 3C, and Jenner is already 30 with no playmaking skills to speak of. None of them are reasons not to sign Lindholm.

sensfan4lifee

May 21, 2024
Of those four names, exactly one projects to be better than Lindholm in the next two years. Johnson is not a center, Sillinger is a 3C, and Jenner is already 30 with no playmaking skills to speak of. None of them are reasons not to sign Lindholm.
How does Spending 8 million on Lindholm improve the team? It doesnt and they will regret it in years, and Boone is a fine 2nd line center and Johnson has never been given a fair shake at the Nhl level its too early to tell what he can and cant be.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
How does Spending 8 million on Lindholm improve the team? It doesnt and they will regret it in years, and Boone is a fine 2nd line center and Johnson has never been given a fair shake at the Nhl level its too early to tell what he can and cant be.
I'm going to need you to show where I said in any comment that they should sign him, and for that amount.

Reactions: HarrySPlinkett

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
Anyone signing him for 7 years is going to be sadly dissapointed when they get the regular season Lindholm that played for Calgary and the nucks

Over paying for a player based on one good play off run is a horrible idea

They wouldn’t be paying for one playoff run, they’d be paying for the centre who has reliably played in all situations for the last six years, who gets you 50-70 points depending who his wingers are, doesn’t take penalties and doesn’t miss games.

$7-7.5 for Lindy on the open market is no stretch. Not for the best centre available for nothing but cash.

sensfan4lifee

May 21, 2024
They wouldn’t be paying for one playoff run, they’d be paying for the centre who has reliably played in all situations for the last six years, who gets you 50-70 points depending who his wingers are, doesn’t take penalties and doesn’t miss games.

$7-7.5 for Lindy on the open market is no stretch. Not for the best centre available for nothing but cash.
uhm he played poorly the last two seasons minus a few games in the play offs

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
uhm he played poorly the last two seasons minus a few games in the play offs

No, he didn’t.

He had 64 points the year before last, after his two linemates went to Columbus and Florida. He helped 31 year old Tyler toffoli to a career year.

This season, he wanted out, and had a horrible season offensively. He had no chemistry with anyone, and the best offensive weapon the Flames had all year was included as a throw in in the Lindholm to Vancouver deal.

Not excusing his performance and I’m glad we got what we got for him, but Elias Lindholm is gonna get paid, because his body of work extends beyond the last six months.

sensfan4lifee

May 21, 2024
No, he didn’t.

He had 64 points the year before last, after his two linemates went to Columbus and Florida. He helped 31 year old Tyler toffoli to a career year.

This season, he wanted out, and had a horrible season offensively. He had no chemistry with anyone, and the best offensive weapon the Flames had all year was included as a throw in in the Lindholm to Vancouver deal.

Not excusing his performance and I’m glad we got what we got for him, but Elias Lindholm is gonna get paid, because his body of work extends beyond the last six months.
64 points is not worth 8 million on a declining player

Reactions: Ciao

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad