Dreger: Elias Lindholm will get 8M+ per year through free agency

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
In his radio hit, Allvin says Lindholm wants to resign with the Canucks

It would be a three headed monster, creating a matchup nightmare if Pettersson regains his game and they have Pettersson, Miller and Lindholm down the middle.
it would be nice but sometimes the team needs to score goals to win games.

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
Can't see that number for him....Good player but not at that aav and possible long term ....Hey you never know anything is possible

Reactions: hullsy47

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
We aren't that desperate, he's not good enough to make enough of an impact to be worth that contract. With Fantilli and the possibility of adding another top C in the draft combined with all the kids we have in the lineup who are showing they could be ready for more, it would be dumb to overpay for him and ruin the salary cap the we will desperately need in a few seasons. Columbus' best bet it to be patient and wait for the kids to be ready or have the cap to flexibility and assets to make a major to fill that hole. Filling that gap in FA is asking for trouble.

Who's your centers on the ice next season?

Rebuilding and patience is key yes but the NHL is also a business. You going to let Gaudreau drown more?

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
I feel like he makes a lot of sense for Nashville. Maybe I'm way off with their needs. He suits the way I think of Nashville which is more of a defensively responsible and "offence by committee" vibe. Since there is no state tax in Tennessee maybe he'd accept 7x7 from them. Has the Swedish connection with Forsberg as well.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Who's your centers on the ice next season?

Rebuilding and patience is key yes but the NHL is also a business. You going to let Gaudreau drown more?
Gaudreau will be fine, it's going to take a lot more than Lindholm to correct this offense.

It doesn't matter who our centers are going to be, he's not worth the money he's asking for.

You don't go grab long term for core pieces from FA, the chances that there's gonna be a bidding war and it's gonna push his asking price even higher is pretty likely and CBJ shouldn't be the ones throwing the Brinks truck at him.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I feel like he makes a lot of sense for Nashville. Maybe I'm way off with their needs. He suits the way I think of Nashville which is more of a defensively responsible and "offence by committee" vibe. Since there is no state tax in Tennessee maybe he'd accept 7x7 from them. Has the Swedish connection with Forsberg as well.
We do need center depth, the problem is overpaying for it. He's basically RyJo 2.0, which means he is a good 2C you are hoping is a 1C. 8 million a year was overpaying for RyJo, Lindholm wouldn't be any different at that price.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Gaudreau will be fine, it's going to take a lot more than Lindholm to correct this offense.

It doesn't matter who our centers are going to be, he's not worth the money he's asking for.

You don't go grab long term for core pieces from FA, the chances that there's gonna be a bidding war and it's gonna push his asking price even higher is pretty likely and CBJ shouldn't be the ones throwing the Brinks truck at him.

You don't go grab long term for core pieces from FA? You mean like the Gaudreau signing?

BostonBruins11

Dec 4, 2010
Moncton, N.B.
If 1st line players are expected to earn 10-14m per year how is 7-9m for a 2nd line player an overpayment? I'd rather have Lindholm at 8M vs Marner at 13.5-14M(likely his new contract)

The caps going up, and in 7-8 years 8M is likely to be the average salary for a middle 6 center.

• Haha
Reactions: HockeyVirus

BostonBruins11

Dec 4, 2010
Moncton, N.B.
seems like alot for a player that likely has his best days behind him already. I prob wouldnt give him much more than Killorn money if anymore at all

If he signs in BOS and centers Pastrnak/Marchand he likely gets a career high next year and likely sees his best career numbers over the next 2-3 years. He's still realistically a #2C but that's still an upgrade over our four #3 Centers we're currently rolling with.

TheBigLetowski

Jul 31, 2016
Canes were rumored being interested in him last year. They need a RHC but I know we won't give him what Boston/Columbus will give.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Bo Horvat signed 8X8.5 one year younger than Lindholm. They seem like similar caliber players to me.
I agree - very similar. Perhaps I don't have the right impression of Lindholm, but it seems to me that Horvat is a somewhat better athlete while Lindholm has better hockey sense. And perhaps Horvat is poised for a longer/later prime.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
You don't go grab long term for core pieces from FA? You mean like the Gaudreau signing?
Yeah because he wanted to be here and actually took less money than what other teams we're offering. That's not going to be the case with Lindholm.

BostonBruins11

Dec 4, 2010
Moncton, N.B.
With the cap going up
9-15M for a 1st line player
6-9M for a 2nd line player
3-6M for a 3rd line player

Love it or hate it that's likely the new normal

If Lindholm was just the average 50-60 pts player he'd only be worth 6-7 range, but his defensive prowess and faceoff ability makes him more valuable than your "average" 50-60 pts player.

Even once he declines in his mid-late 30's he can still be deployed defensively, bringing a lot of value. In 6-8 years 8M will likely be the new normal for a 3rd line center.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
He's a good player but I don't think he's a 1C, he's probably a nice 2C.

I think 6.5M x5 is probably something that he can live up to.

If it's 8M x7 years though, you won the bidding war but you kinda lost too.

whaaaaaaaaat,...... he's a mediocre 2C and a really good 3C

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
not his biggest fan but hes not useless. IMO could be interesting for a team that could maybe use him like Calgary did - complimentary C for elite wingers. If you have a 1C and a 1W, a second line of Lindholm-1W could work.

For example, TB could sign him and put him with Kucherov so they can run Point and Kucherov separately.

Risky if he doesn’t pick it up though. I don’t see him as someone who can drive a line and I’m only paying a 3C $6M+ if they can tilt the ice with little help.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
It would be an investment but I think there is a lot of upside to Vancouver re-signing him—having Miller-Pettersson-Lindholm down the middle gives the Canucks a clear roster blueprint to constantly cycle the winger market for the next Buzz Flibbet or Mark Donk.

Vancouver has the advantage of offering the 8th year. The 7y x 8m that Boston may offer him could be countered by a 8y x 7m deal from Vancouver.

Reactions: tanti9

paragon

May 5, 2010
His best seasons were when the Flames had both Tkachuk and Gaudreau on the roster. Lindholm is a decent top 2C but he's not leading the line on his own. I really dislike when players want to be paid as the leader of their line. Marner is paid that way. Great talent but take the talent away and he also looks like Gaudreau on the Jackets.

I can see the Blue Jackets interested.

If I was the Canucks, I'd let him walk if he asked for more than $6M. Some sucker is going to give it to him though.

Those 29/30+ contracts man. 80% or 90% of them turn out bad.
Blue Jackets definitely should be interested. Not only do they need a center, but he also has established synergy with Gaudreau.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad